Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3772 Old 12-13-2005, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ruben,

Thanks for the detail on the veneering. It looks great!

QUESTION -- is there a trick to getting (2) pieces to match up? Basically, one vertical piece matched to a horizontal piece (at 90deg) -- similar to what you did on the front curve but with no curve. In my situation, I will not be able to round the corners to use a single piece. I was planning to extend out a bit then trim with a sharp blade. Do I need to use any of that seam filler to help hide the seam a bit more?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3772 Old 12-13-2005, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Ruben,

Thanks for the detail on the veneering. It looks great!

QUESTION -- is there a trick to getting (2) pieces to match up? Basically, one vertical piece matched to a horizontal piece (at 90deg) -- similar to what you did on the front curve but with no curve. In my situation, I will not be able to round the corners to use a single piece. I was planning to extend out a bit then trim with a sharp blade. Do I need to use any of that seam filler to help hide the seam a bit more?

Steve

The Seam filler helps out greatly. I recommend spending a few dollars to get it (like $5 a bottle). Matching up pieces is all in the Eye of the beholder. It's never going to match exactly, unless you get lucky. Just do your best and once it gets the Sealer and Stained it should be un noticable unless you are purposely looking for it.

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #273 of 3772 Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

Thanks for the advice!!

Steve
post #274 of 3772 Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Rop
Advanced Member

Ruben, what source do you use for veneer? What contact cement do you use? What's the name of the stuff you use for the seams? Do you use a router with a trim-bit for the edges? Or just a sharp knife?

Looks fabulous by the way! I've done some veneering. You make it look so easy, but I know it's not...

-Rob-

Lies, damn lies, and interconnects...
post #275 of 3772 Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

It's available at Specialty Stores. Try checking out their website for distributors in your area. I posted a picture of the Stain above. http://www.mlcampbell.com/

Thx for the info. Your work looks fabulous and becomes my inspiration. Great job!
post #276 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rop View Post

Ruben, what source do you use for veneer? What contact cement do you use? What's the name of the stuff you use for the seams? Do you use a router with a trim-bit for the edges? Or just a sharp knife?

Looks fabulous by the way! I've done some veneering. You make it look so easy, but I know it's not...

-Rob-

Well I'm Out in South Florida so I get my Veneer from 2 Places pretty close to me.

My Favorite Place is
Specialty Supplies Inc.
3410 Park Central Blvd. North
Pompano Beach, Florida 33064 USA
Telephone: 1-866-344-6437
http://www.specialtysupplies.com

They Stock all types of Veneers, Stains and Lots of cool building materials too.
A 4 x 8 Veneer sheet with paper baking is about $35.00 there. This is the place I get my Stain from as well.

Another Spot that stocks allot of cool Veneer and Stains I go to is...

Constantine's Wood Center of Florida Inc. is located at:
1040 E. Oakland Park Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
Phone: 954 561 1716
Order Toll Free: 800 443 9667
http://www.constantines.com/

They are a Bit more expensive, but they sell smaller sheets of Veneer.

This is The Veneer Glue We Use...
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=43

This is the Gap Filler Glue We use for Butt Joints...
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=34

We use this Accelerator Spray to help speed up the drying process of the Glue in the Butt joints...
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=39

As far as Triming, Sometimes we use a trimming tool like this...
http://www.constantines.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=701

And Some times a regular Utility knife.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #277 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Update...

Today we sanded down all the Veneer to prep it for the Sealer. We also built all 6 Columns today out of 3/4 MDF". They will be getting wrapped with matching Red Oak Veneer as well.

Pictures will come Soon.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #278 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Update...

Equipment Rack arrived Yesterday and I assembled it Last night.

The Optoma H-79 Projector Arrived today.

Still trying to decide on a screen.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #279 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Curious, How long did it take before you gave in to the urge to unpack the projector set it on something, connect it to a dvd player and shine it on one of the white walls in your house?

I think I lasted 20 minutes.
post #280 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Curious, How long did it take before you gave in to the urge to unpack the projector set it on something, connect it to a dvd player and shine it on one of the white walls in your house?

I think I lasted 20 minutes.

LOL,

Suprisingly, that hasn't crossed my mind yet

I may have to try it tonight, I have too many walls of glass in my home to try it during the day.

We'll See tonight

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #281 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 08:46 PM

I think that an OPEN HOUSE for all of Ruben's new friends in South Florida is needed around mid January.

Anybody else thinking this?
post #282 of 3772 Old 12-14-2005, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Well I hooked up the Projector this evening in our Dining Room and all I can say Is wow! The thing looked pretty damn nice out the Box even against my Textured Biege wall. I didn't even hook up the Pioneer DV-59avi DVD player, I just grabbed a Samsung I had from another room and Ran a DVI Cable. I threw on Finding Nemo.

I had the Lens 13' from the Wall and I had 120" Diagonal 16:9 Image. Then I realized the projector wasn't even on bright mode so I switched to bright mode and the picture popped out even more.

So it looks like I am going to be pretty damn happy with this projector. Also it is so quiet, it is unreal. I had to turn off everything in my house and put my ear next to it to hear the fan.

I am also happy it was not Biege like some people told me. The one I got was white. I wonder why they would make a Home Theater Projector White or Biege anyway? Seems like Black or Dark Grey should be the only colors to make them.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #283 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ruben, that thing is quiet eh? Nice. My projector (now over 4 years old) is not quiet and it would be nice to have something that wasn't as loud. Of course, your new pj is also going to have the better black levels than mine which I would also like. Man, I hate how the equipment goes obsolete so fast!

Scott

post #284 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 07:20 AM

Excellent work!

Ruben, I am also covering my ceiling with black GOM. I was planning on stapling the GOM directly to the strapping - 3 widths of fabric covering a 13x23 room. My floors are hardwood and my ceilings are not sheetrocked to allow the insulation to act as absorbtion. Anyway, I was wondering if you thought a star ceiling would work for me. The trick is, I don't want a hard ceiling behind the GOM. Do you think I could glue the fiber points to sturdy cardboard and then pull them through the GOM to get the same effect?

Thanks for your very helpful thread!

Kip
post #285 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penniman View Post

Excellent work!

Ruben, I am also covering my ceiling with black GOM. I was planning on stapling the GOM directly to the strapping - 3 widths of fabric covering a 13x23 room. My floors are hardwood and my ceilings are not sheetrocked to allow the insulation to act as absorbtion. Anyway, I was wondering if you thought a star ceiling would work for me. The trick is, I don't want a hard ceiling behind the GOM. Do you think I could glue the fiber points to sturdy cardboard and then pull them through the GOM to get the same effect?

Thanks for your very helpful thread!

Kip

Why don't you want a hard ceiling?

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #286 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

I tried contacting AVS today about ordering a screen but could not get through to anyone. I called a few times and left a message once. When I want to order something I like to get it done right away before I start changing my mind.

I thought I would try to give AVS a shot on pricing since BPape said they usually do discounts to AVS forum Members. But it looks like I may have to order from somewhere else.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #287 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 PM

My floors are hardwood and my walls are sheetrocked. To improve acoustics, I'm leaving most of the ceiling open to act as broad-band absorbtion.

I'm just not a carpet guy.

Plus, the room is going to serve as a party room with wild dancing. No carpet, and no soft side walls allowed.

What do you think about the cardboard idea?

K.
post #288 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penniman View Post

My floors are hardwood and my walls are sheetrocked. To improve acoustics, I'm leaving most of the ceiling open to act as broad-band absorbtion.

I'm just not a carpet guy.

Plus, the room is going to serve as a party room with wild dancing. No carpet, and no soft side walls allowed.

What do you think about the cardboard idea?

K.

I never heard of anyone putting cardboard on the Ceilings. What about wrapping some 703 stiff panels with GoM? That way your whole ceiling will absorb. You may want to consult with BPape about some ideas. He is consulting me on my room.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #289 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried contacting AVS today about ordering a screen but could not get through to anyone. I called a few times and left a message once. When I want to order something I like to get it done right away before I start changing my mind.

I thought I would try to give AVS a shot on pricing since BPape said they usually do discounts to AVS forum Members. But it looks like I may have to order from somewhere else.

Ruben,

Contact Jason at AVS via email. He normally respondes quickly that way. His email is: jason@avscience.com. Pricing on the DaLite material is pretty darn good. They also sell the Stewart material bulk (at nearly 4x the price of the DaLite). I'm planning to build a 110" screen and cost will be a little over $200 for the DaLite material. Of course you need to figure in the cost of the DIY frame (wood or metal) -- but that is not much. I have samples of just about everyone's screen material and plan to "test" them all out before I make a decision.

Good luck and keep up the great work on the HT.

BTW: BPape is helping me too He's a real asset to this forum (and my HT construction). I recommend him to anyone building a HT.

Steve
post #290 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM

Sandman,

Your thread is like caffeine every morning. I am addicted. I am very impressed of your work and skills. I wish I could have these information was 1.5 years ago when I started my HT. One thing is certain, I save all your photos and descriptions in case if I build another one in the future. Keep the good work and feed us the caffeine.

-Mike
post #291 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Ruben,

Contact Jason at AVS via email. He normally respondes quickly that way. His email is: jason@avscience.com. Pricing on the DaLite material is pretty darn good. They also sell the Stewart material bulk (at nearly 4x the price of the DaLite). I'm planning to build a 110" screen and cost will be a little over $200 for the DaLite material. Of course you need to figure in the cost of the DIY frame (wood or metal) -- but that is not much. I have samples of just about everyone's screen material and plan to "test" them all out before I make a decision.

Good luck and keep up the great work on the HT.

BTW: BPape is helping me too He's a real asset to this forum (and my HT construction). I recommend him to anyone building a HT.

Steve

$200.00 for a 110"? That is Super Cheap! I'm doing a 133" 16:9 Perforated Screen. What would it cost me to just buy the Material? I need a High Contrast Perforated Material. Once you Do those tests Please Let me Know.

How do you get all the Samples? I have the Projector Set up in the Dining room and would love to see the Difference in the Samples.

Also, How big are the Samples? 12" x 12"?

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #292 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMac View Post

Sandman,

Your thread is like caffeine every morning. I am addicted. I am very impressed of your work and skills. I wish I could have these information was 1.5 years ago when I started my HT. One thing is certain, I save all your photos and descriptions in case if I build another one in the future. Keep the good work and feed us the caffeine.

-Mike

Thanks, Glad to be your Caffeine in the Morning I use to follow threads here too before I made the Jump into it. I was so motivated by all these guys here at AVS to Start my own.

The Caffeine should keep coming for at least another week, being that my helper messed his back up and had to take off till this Monday. So I will continue the updates on Monday (Hopefully) We would of been carpeting this Monday if it wasn't for his Back.

More to Come

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #293 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$200.00 for a 110"? That is Super Cheap! I'm doing a 133" 16:9 Perforated Screen. What would it cost me to just buy the Material? I need a High Contrast Perforated Material. Once you Do those tests Please Let me Know.

How do you get all the Samples? I have the Projector Set up in the Dining room and would love to see the Difference in the Samples.

Also, How big are the Samples? 12" x 12"?

Thanks
Ruben

Ruben,

It's easy to get samples, you just go to the manufacture website and request the samples of the material you are looking for. I have samples from the following: DaLite, Stewart, Carada and Dazian Fabrics. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the perforated material (however samples are available). You may have to wait a few weeks to get them in. Here are a few specifics:

DaLite
http://www.dalite.com
Sample Size: 6" x 6"
Sales: Material only available (Jason Turk, jason@avscience.com)

Stewart
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
Sample Size: 9" x 11"
Sales: Material only available (Jason Turk, jason@avscience.com)

Carada
http://www.carada.com/
Sample Size: 11" x 14"
Sales: Cannot buy material only -- must buy entire screen (David Giles, davidg@carada.com)
AVS Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=30

Dazian Fabrics (not sure if they have a perforated material)
http://www.dazian.com/
Sample Size: 6" x 11"
Sales: Material Only available. Buy off ebay retailer
AVS Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6208260

Also, I will not be making a choice until January '06 -- so I know you'll be done way before that -- sorry

Steve
post #294 of 3772 Old 12-15-2005, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Thanks, Glad to be your Caffeine in the Morning I use to follow threads here too before I made the Jump into it. I was so motivated by all these guys here at AVS to Start my own.

The Caffeine should keep coming for at least another week, being that my helper messed his back up and had to take off till this Monday. So I will continue the updates on Monday (Hopefully) We would of been carpeting this Monday if it wasn't for his Back.

More to Come

Oh man, not the back! I've run into that problem in the second half of this year for the first time (at the tender age of 28) and I don't much like it. I've got an annular bulging disc in my lower back. It's pinching some nerves cutting off the feeling in my left leg. I don't much care for it. It's like having your leg asleep 24/7.

Tell him I feel for him. Ouch! ^_^;
post #295 of 3772 Old 12-16-2005, 10:52 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Dazian doesn't have a "perforated" material, they have one better - a weave which some have tested to be basically acoustically transparent (look in the screens forum). The material is called Coated Celtic Cloth (you will see it referred to as CCC in the forums).

I got a sample from the a while back and plan to make my screen with it. However - I doubt it will be much more than 1.0 gain.
post #296 of 3772 Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

They actually do have a perf. But I am not sure if it's for home use what the cost is.

That said I plan to try out CCC.

dazian perf
post #297 of 3772 Old 12-16-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Hey Folks,

I just want to let you know, I have 134 feet of 50 Strand Fiber Optic Cable Left that I am going to sell. I have one run of 122 feet and another Run of 12 feet left. So 134 Feet all together.

For those that dont know, This is the left over Fiber from my Fiber Optic Star Ceiling I did in my Theater a couple pages back in this thread. It is the EG-50 Cable and I paid $4.35 a Foot for it. This is where I bought it from....
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Endglow.htm

Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours! I have a Pay Pal account too if that makes it easier for you.

If anyone is interested in it please PM me.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #298 of 3772 Old 12-17-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Hey Guys,

I need your help here. Today my worker came in for a couple hours to clean up and to finish screwing down the platform for the chairs. We were discussing the Veneering of the columns and He Thinks I should do a Verticle Grain. I was thinking a horizontal grain to match the Light trays which have the horizontal grain.

He feels it would look more natural if the Grain of the Veneer ran verticle on the columns.

So I told him to hold off till Monday, and I would get the opinion from my fellow AVS brothers.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #299 of 3772 Old 12-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Liked: 13
imo verticle would look more natural.
post #300 of 3772 Old 12-17-2005, 04:31 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Definitely vertical. That's how real boards would look.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page