post #3751 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Out of respect for this thread I thought it was discussed to lock it.
To not dig up old wounds.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

This is a terrible idea.

Considering this thread has tons of DIY home theater goodness and it's easily got the most views of any on this forum (for a reason) it would be a shame if it got locked, and a detriment to the community. If you look just a couple posts higher you would see the awesome long picture posts that was done very recently and never could have happened if this thread was locked.

The proper solution is probably just stay on topic of building home theaters, in which case this thread has a place here.
ellisr63 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I'm not sure if you heard, but Sandman (Ruben) skipped town in a big hurry with a bunch of people's screen payment money while shuttering his company, SMX Screens, practically overnight. No doubt he did some fantastic work, though.

I didn't know he was a crook, I had that experience once with a HiEnd retail Home Cinema Store. The owner left with several millions from down payment from multiple customers! His partner had to file chapter 11.

I wonder if they hunted him down!
post #3753 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 162
When good people turn bad how do you remember them?
This thread and it's originator sure did good for the HT community, does that now somehow payback those he supposedly stole money from?
Yes, I have to say supposedly stole money because I'm not aware he was tried and convicted in a court of law.
Has those facts been made clear here?
Court case #, dates, etc.

There are so many other threads with same and more recent information, this thread alone surely does not define the AVS Forum experience, right?

As to the re posting of those pictures back here, who is the copyright owner of those? Are you sure they are public domain, since it appears Ruben took them down.

post #3754 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think once you post something publicly on the internet they become public domain, the same as if someone took a picture from a public place like a street or sidewalk. Even if it's you or your home it's legal. Once you post something public on the internet I think it's out there, you can't take that back.

I also doubt the OP took them down intentionally too. It's more likely the image or file hosting site he used lapsed or he failed to pay and his account was cancelled. Something like that seems more likely, it's been a long time. The old AVS did not store pictures they way most posters displayed them.

I still use the [img]and then[/img] method myself all the time...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3755 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have heard that who ever took picture owns the copyright to it. Put I could be wrong.
post #3756 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post

I have heard that who ever took picture owns the copyright to it. Put I could be wrong.

Possibly, but once you share them online the cat's out of the bag. And besides I doubt he is going to come forward and appear and request they get taken down tongue.gif Sound like people want to find him more than he wants to take the pics down is my guess, I think he will stay hidden and I doubt we hear anything on the subject.

-

post #3757 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I heard that when Ellen posted the pic from the oscars and posted to twitter,that Bradley cooper took picture and he owned the rights.
post #3758 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Not to digress, but the use of the copyright imagery falls under Fair Use in many cases. This is probably the best and most straight-forward explanation I've seen on the subject: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

I've had images from my past theaters used by AV dealers with no store or showroom, known as "trunk slammers", in the gallery portion of their website as if my theater was designed and installed by the company in question. This is not allowed as it seeks commercial gain and is a misrepresentation of the imagery. However, if the picture was posted on a design website for general commentary and criticism, Fair Use of the image is allowed, especially since it was published in the public domain and it is "in the public interest".

And for clarity, I didn't mean to start a firestorm with my original comment - only to make the point that the man did great work and it is unfortunate the way things ended up with him and his company and that he is no longer around.
post #3759 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post

Possibly, but once you share them online the cat's out of the bag. And besides I doubt he is going to come forward and appear and request they get taken down tongue.gif Sound like people want to find him more than he wants to take the pics down is my guess, I think he will stay hidden and I doubt we hear anything on the subject.

No, once you share images they are not public at all!
I had 15 minutes of fame, my image was NASA APOD 2011 August 5 .
I own the copyright to that image, nobody else.
I learned more about copyright law than I ever wanted, including consultation with lawyers.
I authorized a handful of sites to host it, and filed cease and desist to more sites/IP hosters than I care to say.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110805.html

Needless to say who re-posted those copyrighted images of Reuben's HT w/o the permission is taking risk into their own.
AVS Forum management also should examine their risk in this matter.

Stop stealing photos webpage, some might want to read that ...
http://stopstealingphotos.com/
post #3760 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Why can't we discuss the Home Theater the thread was made for instead of getting off track, and discussing what he did later, copyright issues, etc?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #3761 of 3772 Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I have always loved this theater build.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3762 of 3772 Old 04-23-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I have always loved this theater build.

I agree biggrin.gif

It has 2 million views for a reason.

I also admire his willingness to look at the result of hard work and say it wasn't good enough, tear it out and do it again. That's what makes it special.
ellisr63 and W00lly like this.

-

post #3763 of 3772 Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

What I do like is this thread showed people they also can DIY to build a HT.
PDCA, plan do check act, also widely utilized.
Plan some thing, build it, check how it works, and tweak if needed.

ellisr63 and Mfusick like this.
post #3764 of 3772 Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Rubens build thread was one of the first DIY builds that put me on the track to build my own theater. I didn't know I could go 2.35 until he installed one in his theater I was in Awe and really loved the thought of filling the whole screen wall with screen eek.gif
I liked it so much I purchased a 12' wide 2.35 screen from Ruben when he first went into production and was vary happy with the service and response I received. I'm not sure what happened along the way frown.gif

There where a bunch more theater build threads that I followed that had a major impact on my design and build so I to am glad that this thread has not been locked as there is a lot of great info in it to be read.

Here are just a few biggrin.gif thanks AVS

Ronnie Jackson : http://www.avsforum.com/t/638024/ronnies-home-theater-construction-begins

BIGmouthinDC : http://www.avsforum.com/t/683853/big-mouth-in-dcs-beautiful-black-grey-theater

Craig : http://www.avsforum.com/t/735097/must-create-reedzone-theater-thread

Chinadog : http://www.avsforum.com/t/549924/blazing-ridge-cinema-construction-has-begun

Calv1n : http://www.avsforum.com/t/706501/calvins-games-ht-construction-thread

ejhuzy's : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1105275/ejhuzys-finally-done-thread-pictures-too#post_15478858
ellisr63, Mfusick and damelon like this.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #3765 of 3772 Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's a pretty strong list ^

I remember reading this thread back when it was active and while I wasn't in any position to tackle my own project yet it certainly planted the seed and desire.

-

post #3766 of 3772 Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Me too. I was building my second room at about the same time Ruben was building his. Took a lot of inspiration and help from it as well as some of the others listed above.
Mfusick likes this.
post #3767 of 3772 Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are MB3 EBR right? Mb3 developer and plugin author? I didn't know you are on AVS... Nice smile.gif

-

post #3768 of 3772 Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Yes, I actually discovered MB through AVS Forums when I was building my second Theater room back in 06. Then I started talking to Sam and decided to contribute to the project. Once I got started I just got in deeper and deeper.

I don't get out here as much anymore because I'm plenty busy in our own forums smile.gif.
post #3769 of 3772 Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Where did you learn to do all that ?

-

post #3770 of 3772 Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Where did you learn to do all that ?

Do all what?
post #3771 of 3772 Old 06-03-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Do all what?

All the stuff you do for the MB3 project.... smile.gif

-

post #3772 of 3772 Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

I was a computer professional by trade and mostly built development frameworks for use by developers so I'm a geek at heart. I hadn't actually done any programming in probably ten years when I got involved with MB and it was a great way to re-learn all of that stuff with new technologies.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page