Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ruben..

MAN!!! You don't mess around! Just tear that stuff out!!
Were you going to put banding on the columns?!

Sean

Sean
"I do not like the cone of shame"
Boom Boom Room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The Banding is still up in the Air. I'm doing 5 wide Panels between the columns (Like 16" x 60" Wide). I May line the lines of the Panels up with the bands of the columns so it flows around the room (See the TK Theater Picture I posted 2 pages back).

BPape said I should Prob break the Lines up at the Columns. I'm def gonna do 1/2" Inset Bands, I was trying to decide on either 1/2" or 3/4"s wide insets before. You can see I did both widths in the Close up of the Column on the previous Page.

If anyone has some Band Positioning ideas, please chime in.

Thanks
Ruben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximAvs View Post

Ruben..

MAN!!! You don't mess around! Just tear that stuff out!!
Were you going to put banding on the columns?!

Sean

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #363 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yeah, I was thinking to do a double band relatively close together toward the top and another at the bottom. Maybe that's it. OR maybe add one more band in the center. Just something so you don't have the lines all around the room. It looks cool when it's all panels with bevels - very clean. But when you put the columns in, they naturally break the flow of the lines.

Maybe it's just me but every time I see round ones with all those inlays in them nice and symmetric, it looks like stacked barrels or like you only had narrow pieces of veneer to work with. When the banding is more subdued, It's more like a nice looking solid wood carved column with decorative accents.

Just my 2 cents - but not my theater. You gotta do what YOU like.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #364 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 09:02 PM

I like how you combined the square into the round. Considering how many round surfaces you already have in the room I think that combo will look fantastic. Having them come out further further from the wall to "support" the soffit more remedies the other concern I had for them looking a little weak/small. I think you combined them very well now to achieve a unique look that follows the lines of your room. I think it will be worth the effort in rebuilding!

But then again......what do I know?

The Mirage Home Theater - Construction
post #365 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

VENEERING

As Promised here is the procedure we Use to Veneer. I will use the columns to show how we put them together and veneered them...

Here is what the Columns started off as. These are 8" Quarter Rounds. Someone may ask "why didn't you just buy Half Rounds?" It's because Half rounds were nowhere to be found Locally in the size I wanted. I found a few places in NY, WA and Cali that Carried them, but they were around $160.00 each plus shipping for 96" 18" Half Rounds. These 8" Quarter rounds were $45.00 each and were in stock at Specialty by my house.

We Built a quick Jig on the Stage and Platform using screws an spacing them 16" apart to hold the 2 8" quarter rounds together. We used Pro-Bond Glue and 1" Staples to tie the 2 quarters together.

Once the glu dried over Night, we added a 1" x 2" strip inside the column over the Seam for More Support.

Next, we had to smooth out that seam in the front where the 2 quarters butt together. So we first sanded down the Seam and then added a quick coat of Bondo...

After a half hour, Sand that bondo down to smooth it out and Sand the rest of the column to make Sure it has no bumps on it. You don't want a bump under your Veneer.

All Sanded and Ready for Veneer.

Continued...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #366 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Part 2

Measure and Cut your Veneer...

Here is the Glue we use to attach the Veneer...

Here is the spray gun we use to apply the glue to the Veneer. A spray gun is not necessary but it makes the job faster instead of having to dip the roller in glue every 2 seconds.

FIll the Gun with the Glue and do some test spray patterns on a scrap of wood or Cardboard.

Spray the glue on the Column First...

Then Smooth it out and spread it on with a Special roller for Veneer Glue or Contact cement...

Then Spray and roll the Veneer Glue on the back of the Veneer...

Continued...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #367 of 3772 Old 12-22-2005, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Part 3

Let Glue set for like 10 minutes or until it is almost not tacky then cover glued veneer back with Craft Paper to protect it while putting it on the Column or whatever your applying the veneer to. The Craft Paper helps make sure you don't accidentally put the veneer on in the wrong place. Once this sticks it is Stuck forever...

Look at the Bottom of the Trash can in this picture on the right, that's not Green Glue, is it?

Put veneer on Column with craft paper in between. Adjust position of veneer on column.

Once adjusted remove paper from one Side and press veneer down against column making Sure there is no air bubbles and smoothing it out from inside out.
Then gradually remove the rest of the paper as you work your way around the rest of the Column. Make sure there is no air Bubbles...

Next, Use your Hard roller to compress the veneer onto the column using pressure. This roller makes sure your Veneer is flat against your Wood without any air bubbles. The harder you press, the less likely you will have any air bubbles...

Next, Trim off all your Excess veneer using a utility knife or a Laminate trimmer...

Then Wallah! Your all Finished Veneering.

After you trim off your excess Veneer, do a light sanding to the edges you trimmed off to smooth it Out. Then sand the whole Veneer to prep it for Sealer and Stain.

Happy Veneering!
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #368 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Here is the Trim For the Equipment Rack. This Trim is 2" thick to be flush with the wall treatments. This frame is made out of MDF and is Veneered.

Front...

Front Close...

Back

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #369 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

As always, awesome job. Thanks for the step-by-step "how-to" on the Veneering. This will be very helpful.

One thing I wanted to ask you about is the banding you plan to add to the columns. Do you plan to use a simple router technique to get those grooves? I was planning to go this direction but was worried it might splinter the veneer when cutting. However, if it's stuck "hard" the column the way you say it is, it may not be a problem.

Also, how do you plan to cut the hole for the speakers to produce a nice straight square opening? Using a skil saw or somehow with your table saw?
post #370 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 05:16 AM

SandmanX
very nice approach and craftmanship!

Best regards
Don

"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible will take a week, ten days at the most."
post #371 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 09:41 AM

Sandman,

As always awesome step by step details keep up the great work. You should

make a mini booklet out of this thread .I'll be the first one inline to purchase it !!!

I'm really looking forward seeing your walls done with fabricmate system.

DARKMAN
post #372 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkman2003 View Post

Sandman,
As always awesome step by step details keep up the great work. You should
make a mini booklet out of this thread .I'll be the first one inline to purchase it !!!
I'm really looking forward seeing your walls done with fabricmate system.
DARKMAN

Thanks,

I don't think were gonna use the Fabricmate system. I really don't like the Bevel they have on the system. We may just do the Panels the Old Fashion way (with lots of Staples).

Plus, the treatments are going to be 2" deep and the fabric mate system only comes in 1/2" & 1". That means we would have to Rip 2"x 2"s down to 1.25" and use those to fur the Walls out before we can use the Fabric Mate System. We may just rip some 1 x 3s down to 1" x 2" and build frames and wrap them. It takes me about 10 minutes to staple the fabric to a frame. The Room is going to have about 25 wide Panels.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #373 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 11:32 AM

Absolutely beautiful. I am very impressed with your craftsmanship.
post #374 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 11:58 AM

As Sean's wife I can tell you I honestly approve of the "Art" in the Boom Boom Room. They add a lot to the ambiance of the room. In my mind it's such a small way to make him happy. And, if Maximavs is happy, Maximavwife is happy My only complaint would be, he needs to update the link with new pictures as he has added and made some changes to the room.

Kath
post #375 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

So, Kath, I don't know you, but why didn't you pose for the pictures? Now, that would be a very personal art show.

BTW, you don't have to answer that.

Scott

post #376 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

this may be a stupid question, but here goes.

What does the 8" refer to? is it the arc length? when you put two 8" half rounds together, what is the resulting radius of the semi-circle?

thanks for clarifying.
post #377 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S View Post

this may be a stupid question, but here goes.

What does the 8" refer to? is it the arc length? when you put two 8" half rounds together, what is the resulting radius of the semi-circle?

thanks for clarifying.

8" is the Radius/Curve of the Bend. So if you put 2 8" radius pieces together you get a 16" Half round.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #378 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 07:12 PM

Scott,
You assume I didn't pose?

Kath
Merry Christmas to all
post #379 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas Every One!

Well Today we ripped the Wood and Built the Boxes for the back of the Columns.
We did a Mock up Column and Put it against the Wall, and All I can say is ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

I AM SO HAPPY I took this Route and not the standard column Route. I have never felt happier about a last minute change like this in my life.
These columns even stick out about 3" more than the previous Square Columns but are so much less intrusive. They are Bold, Slick, Rich, Elegant and Modern all together IMO and I Absolutely Love them. These are my Pre Christmas Present

All I need to Figure out Now is the inset horizontal line Pattern to Use on the Columns.

Here are the completed Half Rounds Waiting for Bondo and Sanding and Veneer...

Here are the Boxes for the Back of the Columns...

Here is Some Pictures of the Mock Up Column. The Veneer on the Sides of the Box are not on yet, just held in Place with Spray adhesive for now...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #380 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, those look sharp! It's getting very frustrating reading your thread, your HT moving at warp speed 9.... damn I'm jealous!
post #381 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

Man, those look sharp! It's getting very frustrating reading your thread, your HT moving at warp speed 9.... damn I'm jealous!

Thanks Man, Merry Christmas! Don't be Jealous, Be Motivated. Sometimes it's good to hire an assistant to Help you stay committed to the Project (If your doing it yourself). I slacked Off a couple months due to Hurricanes and change of Plans. With myself, Most of the work is thinking of good ways to make things better. I would of been done by now if I didn't redesign my theater 20 times in the process

But Hey, It's all worth it in the end. I am extremely happy with all the decisions I made so far and feel this theater will bring years of enjoyment to me and my Family.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #382 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You should be happy, your HT is gonna kick a$$!!! I haven't had hurricanes, but I've had ridiculous amounts of work/travel, deaths in family, etc.... I have the last 5% of wrapup stuff to get past my first inspection. Fire blocking is a PITA! I just want to clear the first inspection so I can start drywall, get my RSIC up, and start to see something other than wires and stud walls.....

BTW, everytime I see your chairs I drool. They are really sweet! And the starlight ceiling is cool too. I think you've inspired me to try that, with my wife's blessing and approval too. She really like yhow yours looked.
post #383 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I gotta say that the mockup looks great. Those will definitely be an attention getter and a beautiful part of the decor.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #384 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Ruben,

As always, awesome job. Thanks for the step-by-step "how-to" on the Veneering. This will be very helpful.

One thing I wanted to ask you about is the banding you plan to add to the columns. Do you plan to use a simple router technique to get those grooves? I was planning to go this direction but was worried it might splinter the veneer when cutting. However, if it's stuck "hard" the column the way you say it is, it may not be a problem.

Also, how do you plan to cut the hole for the speakers to produce a nice straight square opening? Using a skil saw or somehow with your table saw?

Yep, we just Set up a Guide and Router it. We actually attached a 8" 1/4 Round curved plywood to the Router to keep the same depth of the inset all around the column. The Router does not chip the veneer its a real smooth finished cut when done. A light sanding smooths it out completely.

As far as cutting Speaker Holes, that will be a matter of setting up a guide on the column and using a hand held circular saw or Jigsaw.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #385 of 3772 Old 12-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

As far as cutting Speaker Holes, Ruben

Ruben-
You've had me very perplexed on this issue and I can't wait to see how you address this. BTW, just beautiful! -j
post #386 of 3772 Old 12-24-2005, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Yep, we just Set up a Guide and Router it. We actually attached a 8" 1/4 Round curved plywood to the Router to keep the same depth of the inset all around the column. The Router does not chip the veneer its a real smooth finished cut when done. A light sanding smooths it out completely.

As far as cutting Speaker Holes, that will be a matter of setting up a guide on the column and using a hand held circular saw or Jigsaw.

Ruben

Ruben,

Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea of he 8 1/4" guide for the router.
post #387 of 3772 Old 12-24-2005, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post

Ruben-
You've had me very perplexed on this issue and I can't wait to see how you address this. BTW, just beautiful! -j

It's a rather Simple procedure. With the column not attached to the box, we use a Pencil to mark out our opening. Basically it's 2 lines that get drawn across the column from one end to the other Horizontally. Then we measure the distance from the Blade to the Guide on the Saw. Then Bend some 3/8" Bendable plywood around the column as a guide and clamp it down so it doesn't move. Then Simply cut your horizontal cuts. These 2 cuts wil turn the 1 column into 3 peieces and we Simple remove the middle piece which gives us our opening.

As far as making a speaker grill, thats pretty easy too. All you do is cut 2 1" x 16" pieces horizontally (from the Half Round middle piece you cut out before) to have your perfect radius pieces. Then a couple straight pieces for the sides, attach the 4 pieces together with Staples and Glue to Make your Frame, like any other frame. Obviously make sure the piece your making fits into the opening on the column. Then Paint the Frame Black or whatever color your GoM is. Then wrap it with some GoM pulling tight from top to bottom and not so tight from side to side. The GoM will contour to the radius of the Columns. Pop some hinges inside 1 side of the Grill if you want it to swing open with velcro on the other to keep it closed. Or you can just Velcro the whole grill so it pops off.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #388 of 3772 Old 12-24-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ruben, when making those grills, you may need a stiffener at the half-way point on the radius, so that stretching the GOM does not bend the two radius pieces over time. Just a thought, but I am sure you will deal with whatever comes at you just fine! If you do need a stiffener, it won't take much, you could even use a small diameter dowel.

Scott

post #389 of 3772 Old 12-24-2005, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Ruben, when making those grills, you may need a stiffener at the half-way point on the radius, so that stretching the GOM does not bend the two radius pieces over time. Just a thought, but I am sure you will deal with whatever comes at you just fine! If you do need a stiffener, it won't take much, you could even use a small diameter dowel.

Yep, could be very true. We will see how stiff the frame is once done. The GoM wont be pulled so Tight that it would bend it anyway. But you do have a valid point that can be simply addressed.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #390 of 3772 Old 12-24-2005, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Few Updates...

Got My Lutron GRX-3106-A Grafik Eye. Got it for $499.00 on eBay brand new.

The Xantech IR repeater System is on the Way Total Cost for this with Shipping was $261.23

Got my 4/1 DVI Switcher. Cost $314.00

The BTX MotorDrape arrived Damage thanks to UPS, so the company is sending out a new Kit to us. Price $495.00

The Middle Atlantic Custom Rack Shelves are on their way.
I ordered 7 custom Shelves. Price $574.07

135" Screen is on the way with Pro Trim & Shipping. Total Price $1,697.48

Total for this round of equipment $3,840.78

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page