post #541 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by i70x7 View Post

I will be honest, the changer is not the best. Changing movies is pretty quick, there are no macroblocking issues, but the on-screen management sucks massively. It has built in software to organize the DVDs, but I ended up building my own complete management/control system. You can see some details here: http://theater.joshmeier.com/MovieMarquee.htm

i70x7,

Now you've done it and opened a can of worms I do programming myself and really like the look of you app. Well done!! So, have you decided to distribute it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

i70x7,

Now you've done it and opened a can of worms I do programming myself and really like the look of you app. Well done!! So, have you decided to distribute it yet?

Swithey, Can you hook me up with those HT Demo Tree's you Got?
Can you PM me a Link to get them?

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #543 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 12:49 PM

I use a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 Disc Changer to store my DVDs and control/manage it via Cinemar's DVDLobby program. I use it in conjunction with an HTPC/Automation PC to play genre and soundtrack appropriate trailers while the changer loads (about 60-seconds) and can even have trivia and such play while people find there seats. I've just about reached capacity on my first changer and will likely buy a second this spring. The PC also slowly dims the lights as the trailers play with the appropriate light level set by the time the movie starts. The key feature of the CX777ES is its reliable serial control . The bad thing about using a changer is if you want to distribute video throughout the house - all monitors except for your theater will have to view modulated "TV quality stereo" video, and all watch the same thing.

I watch movies on a 50" RPLCD, so I can't really attest to how well movies output fromthe CX777ES will look on you big honkin screen, but the look awesome on my set.

If you shop around, you can get a CX777ES for around $500.
Get a low-end PC to control it for less than $600
Spend about $200 for Cinemar's MainLobby and DVDLobby software.
Probably Spend another $200 for cables (unless you like high-end stuff)
- So for about $1500 you can have a rather elegant solution to store and automate the showing of movies in your theater - selecting movies stored on the changer via the HTPC projected on your screen via remote control.
- For a bit more you can add an LCD touchscreen to your favorite theater chair to control everything, and for even more a wireless tablet PC.

Another option is to get a high-end HTPC and tons of storage (2+ Terabytes in RAID-5 configuration) and rip all your movies to HDD. You can still use DVDLobby to pick movies and control playback, and the beauty is - with your movies centrally stored - you can access them from any PC in the house in their original quality level (with a gigabit network). And the other beauty is the PC can do all your scaling for you and output DVI (wheras the CX777ES is component-out at its best).

Both of these are DIY-equivelants to the commercial/professional installer DVD Jukeboxes that exist, but go for much less (maybe as much as 10% of the cost of the pro systems.. $2,000 versus $20,000) and the end-results are largely the same. Checkout the offerings here: http://www.cinemaronline.com/ and check their forum as well: http://www.htpcservers.com/phpbb/ ...

BTW I have no affiliation with Cinemar other than being a happy customer and message board moderator

John
post #544 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Swithey, Can you hook me up with those HT Demo Tree's you Got?
Can you PM me a Link to get them?

Thanks
Ruben

Ruben,

You have PM.
post #545 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:

i70x7,

Thanks! I haven't decided to distribute it yet simply because I am still cleaning some things up and trying to make it more flexible. At the moment it's hard coded for my needs, but I am adding support for changing IR codes and the like.

If you are really interested I could send you the code and SQL schema and you could take a look at it. It's done in C# 2.0.
post #546 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i70x7 View Post

Thanks! I haven't decided to distribute it yet simply because I am still cleaning some things up and trying to make it more flexible. At the moment it's hard coded for my needs, but I am adding support for changing IR codes and the like.

If you are really interested I could send you the code and SQL schema and you could take a look at it. It's done in C# 2.0.

I'll take this off-line so not to hijack Sandman's thread. You have a PM waiting.
post #547 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Figured I'd post some Pictures. I got the lighting a Little better today with the Camera and the colors are allot closer now to what they really are. Still they are off quite a bit, but at least everything doesn't look Fire Engine Red in these Pictures.

Today We got the last coat of the Finish on the Light Trays, Columns and Rack Trim. We paper Faced the Bottoms of all the Soffits, we made our bass traps for the Corners of the Stage (I will post pictures of this Later). And we Started putting fabric up.

Here are some Close ups of the Light trays finished, these shots are pretty accurate to the actual color (on my monitor anyway). The Columns, Light Trays and Rack Trim will all get a wax job as soon as the theater is near done to finish it and make the finish complete.

Another last note: The Web Compression and Lighting is making the Finish look a bit blotchy in the Pictures. The Finish is Just as good and even better than my $7k B&W 802's but just a different staining and Grain filling technique to accent the Grains better.

The Columns, still the color is real off on these pictures of them, but they are the same color as the Light trays above. Notice how the color in the photos greatly vary below.

Paper Facing the Soffits. Well Here we are paper facing the Soffits, I never thought I would get to this Point. The Soffits are filled with cotton to absorb the Bass. The Paper Facing keeps the room from getting overly dead due to cotton absorbing the reflections.

This is a side Shot showing the Cotton, Soffit Framing and Paper. This side will get Enclosed.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #548 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

Looking really nice. You are making me move that much faster.

Can you post a pic of the columns next to your B&Ws? Would love to see those beauties together
post #549 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ruben,

Looking really nice. You are making me move that much faster.

Can you post a pic of the columns next to your B&Ws? Would love to see those beauties together

LOL, That ain't gonna happen The 802s weigh like 90 lbs each and they are in another part of my house. The columns are too big and bulky to risk scratching carrying through my house.

I'm a perfectionist. Take my word for it, the finish is incredibly nice

When the theater is Finished, I will have my friend who is a Professional Photographer come shoot the theater to the fullest.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #550 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post

I use a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 Disc Changer to store my DVDs and control/manage it via Cinemar's DVDLobby program. I use it in conjunction with an HTPC/Automation PC to play genre and soundtrack appropriate trailers while the changer loads (about 60-seconds) and can even have trivia and such play while people find there seats. I've just about reached capacity on my first changer and will likely buy a second this spring. The PC also slowly dims the lights as the trailers play with the appropriate light level set by the time the movie starts. The key feature of the CX777ES is its reliable serial control . The bad thing about using a changer is if you want to distribute video throughout the house - all monitors except for your theater will have to view modulated "TV quality stereo" video, and all watch the same thing.

I watch movies on a 50" RPLCD, so I can't really attest to how well movies output fromthe CX777ES will look on you big honkin screen, but the look awesome on my set.

If you shop around, you can get a CX777ES for around $500.
Get a low-end PC to control it for less than $600
Spend about $200 for Cinemar's MainLobby and DVDLobby software.
Probably Spend another $200 for cables (unless you like high-end stuff)
- So for about $1500 you can have a rather elegant solution to store and automate the showing of movies in your theater - selecting movies stored on the changer via the HTPC projected on your screen via remote control.
- For a bit more you can add an LCD touchscreen to your favorite theater chair to control everything, and for even more a wireless tablet PC.

Another option is to get a high-end HTPC and tons of storage (2+ Terabytes in RAID-5 configuration) and rip all your movies to HDD. You can still use DVDLobby to pick movies and control playback, and the beauty is - with your movies centrally stored - you can access them from any PC in the house in their original quality level (with a gigabit network). And the other beauty is the PC can do all your scaling for you and output DVI (wheras the CX777ES is component-out at its best).

Both of these are DIY-equivelants to the commercial/professional installer DVD Jukeboxes that exist, but go for much less (maybe as much as 10% of the cost of the pro systems.. $2,000 versus $20,000) and the end-results are largely the same. Checkout the offerings here: http://www.cinemaronline.com/ and check their forum as well: http://www.htpcservers.com/phpbb/ ...

BTW I have no affiliation with Cinemar other than being a happy customer and message board moderator

Awesome post jrfuda, a few pages back in my thread, I talked about building my Own HTPC. I have the Storage already (Storcase 16 Bay Fibre Infostation with 16 400 Gig SATA Drives).

For the HTPC I been Researching the Parts I'm gonna Use and this is what I'm gonna put together...

For the Case, I'm thinking of Going with a Siverstone with a 7" touchscreen on it. http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...es/sstlc18.asp
or the D.Vine D5 Case or the mCubed. I was looking at Atech Stuff but it takes too long to get.

For the Mother Board I'm looking at the Abit AN8 ULTRA. It has 8 Channel Audio Built in via SPDIF/Optical and it is quieter than the SLI boards http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=278

For the Processor is either a Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Processor or the AMD 4400+. But I am still reading up on the P4 processors and Multitasking.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80728-R

The Video Card is gonna be an nVidia 7800 GTX

80 Gig internal Sata Drive

DVD Playback/Record Plextor DVD-R - Dual Layer possibbly?

For the main Chair Remote a Xenarc 700TS 7" Touch Screen
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html

What do you think.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #551 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be very wary of any of the on-board audio solutions for your situation. You're building a showplace and have some nice equipment. Don't compromise it on a $4 chip.

You might also want to check out www.mwave.com - good service, good selection, good prices.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #552 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Liked: 13
You have a PM

Oh, and so you know.... 1 hour of DVD-quality video will take around 4.2gb of space. Unless you watch and delete your shows, I'd opt for something larger for the hard drive.
post #553 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Awesome post jrfuda, a few pages back in my thread, I talked about building my Own HTPC. I have the Storage already (Storcase 16 Bay Fibre Infostation with 16 400 Gig SATA Drives).

For the HTPC I been Researching the Parts I'm gonna Use and this is what I'm gonna put together...

For the Case, I'm thinking of Going with a Siverstone with a 7" touchscreen on it. http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...es/sstlc18.asp
or the D.Vine D8 Case or the mCubed. I was looking at Atech Stuff but it takes too long to get.

For the Mother Board I'm looking at the Abit AN8 ULTRA. It has 8 Channel Audio Built in via SPDIF/Optical and it is quieter than the SLI boards http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...es=1&model=278

For the Processor is either a Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Processor or the AMD 4400+. But I am still reading up on the P4 processors and Multitasking.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ctCode=80728-R

The Video Card is gonna be an nVidia 7800 GTX

80 Gig internal Sata Drive

DVD Playback/Record Plextor DVD-R - Dual Layer possibbly?

For the main Chair Remote a Xenarc 700TS 7" Touch Screen
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html

What do you think.

Sounds like a literal ton of power. However, a ton of power means a ton of noise - my PC's much more modest than that, and even after careful cable routing, new fans, a fan-throttling power supply, and all the effort I can put into making it quieter, it only seems quieter for a week or two before the noise starts to annoy me again. Consider using lower-power components (leaving yourself some headroom for more demanding codecs in the future, of course) and looking into some of the hardcore Silent PC enthusiast forums to build a HTPC that'll keep the noise down.

Or, there's always watercooling.
post #554 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 07:43 PM

For the audio section of your HTPC, may I make a suggestion for this card coming out in March http://bluegears.com/xraider.html On board 5.1 & 7.1 Dolby Digital & DTS encoding and will upconvert 2 channel audio to 5.1 or 7.1 in either format!!!

I know once my new home is completed and I re-build my HT, I'll be putting one of them bad boys into my htpc.
post #555 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTScotty View Post

You have a PM

Oh, and so you know.... 1 hour of DVD-quality video will take around 4.2gb of space. Unless you watch and delete your shows, I'd opt for something larger for the hard drive.

I think 6.4 TERABYTES of storage is big enough That is roughly 750 Hours of DVD quality video by your calculations.

Read it one more time, the 80 G is just the application HD, the storage is 16 X 400GB.
post #556 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Liked: 13
Doh!!..

Ya.. I see that now...
post #557 of 3772 Old 01-11-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

I'd be very wary of any of the on-board audio solutions for your situation. You're building a showplace and have some nice equipment. Don't compromise it on a $4 chip.

You might also want to check out www.mwave.com - good service, good selection, good prices.

Ahh Man, I thought that would be the Best Sound Thats why I was buying the Mother Board

I don't even know why I even mentioned the audio output on that card.
That would Be Funny, running a $20k System off a $8 chip.
How about some Apogee Converters?

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #558 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 07:04 AM

Hurry up and finish! I can't wait to see the end result of this with those beutiful columns. Are all the columns identical? The photo make some appear differnt size, is that to work with the raiser, or is it the angle of the photo making it appear so?

By the way what would you estimate material cost for columns?

Top notch results so far.

Cheers,

Exipnos
post #559 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exipnos View Post

Hurry up and finish! I can't wait to see the end result of this with those beutiful columns. Are all the columns identical? The photo make some appear differnt size, is that to work with the raiser, or is it the angle of the photo making it appear so?

By the way what would you estimate material cost for columns?

Top notch results so far.

Cheers,

Exipnos

We Started the Fabric today, so hopefully we finish up Shortly. The Columns Are Identical but every pair is cut Different to accomodate the Stairs and the Platform.

As for the cost, The Half Rounds cost $90 in Material and the Boxes for the Back of the Columns cost $14 in Material. The Veneer was $35 a Sheet. So In end, $140.00 a Column before Stain. That obviously does not include Labor if You Need to pay someone.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #560 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Looks GREAT!

I saw the post with the staining process a few pages back, but would you mind sharing the products (brands/colors/etc) that you used to achieve that color and finish?

Keep up the great work.
post #561 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Well I figured I'd keep you guys happy and Post some pictures of the first Fabric Going up.

After speaking to BPape yesterday, he informed me we did the paper wrong on the Soffits undersides. It was suppose to be inside the soffit framing, not on the outside of the framing. So that was the first thing we took care of this morning. As you will see below, the Paper is now inside the Soffit framing. Also notice the Black 1" x 2" furring strips on the right side of the Soffit, this is wher we will Staple the fabric to.

We Stapled the Fabric to the 1" x 2"s for the Light tray side first to hide the Staples, here is the Big piece as we bring it in.

Fabric attached on the Light tray side.

For some of you web Surfers, you may recognize my helping hand I'll give You a Hint... Sometimes his job Sucks, but most of the time it's banging. No Clue? See The Last picture of this post.

Tightening the Fabric by Tucking it in the crack..

Stapling it in place...

Tight as a conga...

A Shot of the run...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #562 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

We Can't just do a straight butt joint where it ends, so the butt joints of the Fabric matches the Veneer butt Joints.

Here is that Last Picture I promised.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #563 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmkam View Post

Looks GREAT!

I saw the post with the staining process a few pages back, but would you mind sharing the products (brands/colors/etc) that you used to achieve that color and finish?

Keep up the great work.

The Staining process was quite a few Steps. We used ML Cambell WoodSong II Microton Toners

The Staining process required 2 colors.

1) First We Sanded the Veneer with a 120 Grit Sand Paper
2) Then we Sanded with a 220 Grit Sandpaper
3) Blow and Wipe the Saw Dust off
4) Then we Shot a 50% - 50% Mix of WoodSong II Microton Spray Stain and a Achohol Thinner. 3 Coats of this 50 - 50 went on. The Color we used at this Step was Cordovan, which is a dark Copper/Penny color.
5) Then we used a Mahogany Grain/Pore Filler that got rubbed on with a Burlap cloth and then Dried over night.
6) Next Day we removed the Grain Filler with a Turpentine and Steel Wool. Leaving the filler in all the Grains/open pores of the veneer. This Step accents the Grains and Fills them up. It also darkens the veneer a bit.
7) Then a Light Sanding with a 220 Grit.
8) Blow off Saw Dust and wipe with a Tack Cloth
9) The we used a ML Campbell Magnalac Satin Clear. We Mixed this with 25% of the ML Cambell WoodSOng II Red Spray Stain I posted a few pages back.
10) We Shot our First Coat of the Magnalac and Red Mix, let Dry an Hour.
11) Sand with a 320 Grit, Blow off Dust and use a Tack Cloth to wipe again
12) Then we Shot our Second Coat of the Magnalac and Red Mix, let Dry an Hour.
13) Rub with a Steel Wool, Blow off Dust and use a Tack Cloth to wipe again
14) Shoot your Final Coat of the Clear and Red Mix

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #564 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ruben, as I was looking at the pics, the first thing I noticed that seemed out of place was that no safety glasses were being used! Oops. Even though the staple guns don't misfire often, it would be a good practice to wear them, since they are air driven...

Other than that, keep up the good work!

BTW, you have seen "A Christmas Story" right? "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Scott

post #565 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Ruben, as I was looking at the pics, the first thing I noticed that seemed out of place was that no safety glasses were being used! Oops. Even though the staple guns don't misfire often, it would be a good practice to wear them, since they are air driven...

Other than that, keep up the good work!

BTW, you have seen "A Christmas Story" right? "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Cmon, we all know Safety glasses are only for people who value their eyes
Yes folks, SVonhof is right, Don't try this at home. Nothing wrong with a little misfired nail hitting you in the eye Ouch!

We usually have glasses around but they occasionally dissapear.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #566 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm envious of all the fun I am missing out by not being there to help you out :-P I could have learned all of your tricks first-hand and brought them back to help swithey lol. Great work Sandman! As good as or more likely better than the pros could do. Next time I'm in Boca visiing my brother I'd love to see it.

YldeSyde
post #567 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Got My Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth Sample Today. Will test it out tonight and let you know what I thought.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #568 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

As Ice Cube Said, "Today was a Good Day"

All the pictures below came out Fire Engine Red Again, But you now know what the color is suppose to be.

We got all the Under Soffit GoM done, got 4 Columns installed. Everything else from here should move pretty fast. I got to thank BPape for recommending the alternation of colors. The contrast of colors is awesome.

These are Some shots of the Under Soffits corners where they Butt up against each other. When your Butt Joints are this Tight, you need to pat yourself on the back

Here is a wider Shot.

Here is the top of a Column under the Soffit shot

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #569 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
SandmanX,
Beautiful work. Redefines DIY.
Your attention to detail is mindblowing.
I've read through your thread and I looked for the details on your round columns but I must've missed it.
Would you minds giving me some details, please?
Where did you get them and what are they made of?
Thanks much.
Doug

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #570 of 3772 Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

SandmanX,
Beautiful work. Redefines DIY.
Your attention to detail is mindblowing.
I've read through your thread and I looked for the details on your round columns but I must've missed it.
Would you minds giving me some details, please?
Where did you get them and what are they made of?
Thanks much.
Doug

Thank You For the Compliments. The Columns were all pretty much built from scratch by hand. Here is a link to the building of them http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6775081

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page