Sandmans Home Theater Construction Begins! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For those comtemplating the Velodyne SMS-1, you might want to also look into the QSC DSP-4. It will require a computer to set up, but is alot more flexible then the SMS-1 and the Behringer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

As far as the theater not being done, it's all about quality and not quantity.

Ruben

Shoot, I'd say most of the theaters around the forum here have a build time between 6 months and 2 years. Even then, throw in the detail you're putting into the theater, and I thought you were going pretty fast. :-)
post #633 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 07:04 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Ruben:

I have been starting to do research on HT PCs and hope to be able to learn from your experiences. Keep the details coming. When you finish a final version of the shopping list and sources would help a lot of us.

Also any hints on what it took to get everything working correctly would be fantastic.
post #634 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Ruben:

I have been starting to do research on HT PCs and hope to be able to learn from your experiences. Keep the details coming. When you finish a final version of the shopping list and sources would help a lot of us.

Also any hints on what it took to get everything working correctly would be fantastic.

I have begun to research the htPC area myself. Needless to say I am a comptuer geek. We have 4 computers in our house and a central server managing everything. And it is only my wife and me

Anyway, IMHO the software is really going to be the key. Ruben bought some really nice hardware but it is going to take a while to research and assemble all of the software that will make it work seemlessly. Knowing Ruben he has probably already decided on the software. He surprised me when he so rapidly came up with the hardware specs for the htPC. He is an amazing individual with an ubelievable breadth of knowledge.

I have recently downloaded the Cinemar products. They look very promising because they utilize a client/server paradigm. This means you can have multiple clients controlling multiple servers. You can have a server for home lighting and security control, another for DVD management, and yet another for MP3 management. I am not promoting this software yet as I need to spend more time with it, but it does look promising.

If Ruben is interested I can share what I find out about the software. I definately don't want to invade on his thread.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #635 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

II have recently downloaded the Cinemar products. They look very promising because they utilize a client/server paradigm. This means you can have multiple clients controlling multiple servers. You can have a server for home lighting and security control, another for DVD management, and yet another for MP3 management. I am not promoting this software yet as I need to spend more time with it, but it does look promising.

If Ruben is interested I can share what I find out about the software. I definately don't want to invade on his thread.

Joe

Yes, for software I'm using the Cinemar Main Lobby/DVD Lobby/Music Lobby Package. To me, they by far have the best looking front end software and I like the organization of everything. Plus it can control up to 12 Sony 400 Disk DVD Jukeboxs.
I'm also using TheaterTek for the archived Video Playback. I already started adding titles to the Database. I'm also gonna experiment with the Charmed Quark and See how that goes.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #636 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yes, for software I'm using the Cinemar Main Lobby/DVD Lobby/Music Lobby Package. To me, they by far have the best looking front end software and I like the organization of everything. Plus it can control up to 12 Sony 400 Disk DVD Jukeboxs.
Ruben

I assume Cinemar is the program created by Mario here on the forum? If so, I am sure it would be a good program based off of what he had done early on with just his home theater web site! Also, it would be good to have that kind of "local"(if you want to call the forum local) contact for things such as upgrading from the sony 400 disc jukeboxes to the new 400 disc Blu-ray players whenever they come out....

Scott

post #637 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 01:28 PM

Y'all are correct Cinemar=MainLobby=Mario's creation...

And Sandman, once you start playing with FFDShow and applygin some processing to get the most out of your projector, you'll see that you may not have so much power to spare

I'm personnally a ZoomPlayer guy (vs. TheaterTek) but I've heard great things about TT as well.

John
post #638 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM

Amazing work sandman.

Some questions for you.

To decrease the HTPC sound is it possible to use liquid cooling? I know that there are adapters for most AMD CPUs and the Nvidia and ATI SLI and non SLI boards. Also, I changed my 8" fans to a 12" fans and lowered the RPM to decrease the noise. It seemed to work.

I am also a bit of a Mac fan and have networked my PC/Tivo/dual G5mac together. Have you thought about using something like FrontRow to preview your pics, music, and be able to play back 720p and 1080i content from a cable box stored via the mac (through the firewire port)?

I love the grain of the veneers with the filler. I used fillers for a red Oak jewelery box I made. The filler did an amazing job of bringing out the grain. Great Job!

Mehran
post #639 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Well it would be possible...but would you risk having a liquid cooled system in your Equipment rack with all your amps, decoders and video equip....

Let alone having water anywhere near your stuff?

Lounge HT

Hitachi 42 Plasma
Panasonic DVD Recorder, DVB, VCR
Harman Kardon AVR230
Cyrus Rear Amp
Jamo D7 Sub
Monitor Audio; B4 Fronts, RS Centre,
RSFX Surround, S2 Surround Sides
post #640 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i like zoom player i used it to play the ogm and the mp4 files. in order to play anime they like to use all the new stuff to keep files small and good. i needed to install about 12 codeds to get everthing running. ac3 ffshow. the olny thing i dont like is wireless some times drops out when serving files.

also what sub do you use and what output do you expect to get @20hz

i have 4 avalanch 18 with the xbl motor in a ib with 3400 wats and i can hit 120db@12hz

if you are lucky enough to be irish you are lucky enough
post #641 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Ruben

Ruben,

Great thread and a fantastic looking theater. Reminds me of when I did my first theater with all the 3D renderings. (they look fantastic - as a Lightwave3D user for over a decade, I can appreciate the time and energy that goes into them - they proved invaluable to not making costly mistakes down the road). I never thought I'd find another person as detailed as me. Attention to detail pays off and really shows in your theater.

Let me know if you need any assistance with DVDLobby or any other modules in our Suite. I'm not only a hair care club member, but I'm also the president.

You can also use the Cinemar software to control all other components in your theater. You could taylor your interface to blend seamlessly into the color scheme you've chosen for the entire theater.

Check out the TechTalker theater intros on our website if you haven't already. They make a great audio bit while your visitors are taking their seats and after you've made a movie selection from DVDLobby and your changer is cueing up.

Also a shout out to all my "peeps" on the forum. I see some old names in this thread I remember well. I don't get a chance to frequent the forums as much as I used to but coming back to this particular one really makes me miss 'em.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing this one in the magazines.
post #642 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Well Folks, Got allot done today. We finished Ripping and Routing all the wood for the Panels. While the guys were ripping and routing, I was building the HTPC. Got it all finished and got Windows XP 64 bit installed. Don't know If I'm gonna keep Windows XP 64 bit on it because I'm not sure how many apps are going to work with it.

However, I am happy to say the HTPC is running extremely Quiet and Extremely Cool. I even got the Fans running at 12 Volts right now and I'm gonna cut them all down to 5 Volts Which should Pretty much make the HTPC completely dead quiet. That Zalman Cooler id Incredibly Quiet and So isn't the Seasonic 500 Watt PSU.

Thanks mcascio for Chiming in.

I had Windows XP Media Center on my other PC (Sony Vaio) and it seemed like every 3rd or 4th launch of the Main Lobby would not open up. I would have to re-install Main Lobby again to get it to run for another 3 or 4 launches. However, the Main Lobby Server always opened with no Problem. Is there conflicts between the two? Or was it something to do with running a Trial version?

Will Main Lobby/DVD/Music run on Windows XP 64 bit with No issues?

Let Me Know, I'm ready to Purchase.

Now to the Best part we all love, the Pictures

Here is a shot of the Empty Case. This is from the Back. On the Rear right you will see the back of the 7" Touch Screen and to the Left of it is where the DVD Drive and Card Reader goes.

Fast Forward to Everything installed... One thing about PCs, they sure have enough Damn wires to Drive you Nuts. The Hardest part about building these is routing the wires to look neat and not restrict any needed airflow inside the case. I just plugged everything in first to make sure everything is working, Next, I have to make it neat after I confirm everything is fine.

Yikes! What a Mess!!!!

About a Half Hour of routing the wires around makes things look much nicer. I will pick up some wire tubes tomorrow at Tiger Direct to make the inside even cleaner.

It's Alive!!!

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #643 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh my. I finally got around to checking your thread, Ruben, as I've heard so much about it, and I have to say that I consistently caught myself saying, "That's what I want to do!"

The only differences I'm thinking of are a few more feet behind the 2nd row of seating, two different height risers, and no round columns (besides, I know I'd never be able to do them justice like you have). Thanks especially for the details on the star ceiling -- that's seeming much more plausible to me now, though I still wonder about the seems between panels, and if perhaps a 4'x8' panel would work better?

That HTPC is unbelievable. Awesome choice of components and very well thought out. I love the LCD display (I was considering a separate LCD, but that's a much more elegant solution for probably the same or less cost).

I'm looking forward to continuing to follow your progress, and going back to read the other 70% that I didn't get around to..

Keep up the phenomenal work! You're a benchmark for my future theater, that's for sure!
post #644 of 3772 Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Ruben. that PC's a beauty! I'm glad she's running quiet for you too!

I've never run MainLobby on MCE, but it runs flawlessly on four different XP machines I run it on, as does MLServer. It's a very non-obtrusive program, it barely touches the registry (I actually run it off of a flash drive during slow days at the office when I want to edit a scene or something, and it runs on my completely locked-down work computer). MLServer is a very registry intense program, and many issues you'll ever have with MLServer can be solved by simply registering the proper plugin - and there's a plugin author over at the cinemar forum that's written a script that will register all your plugins automatically! By registering I mean registering the program within the Windows registery using Regsvr32, not registering the program with Cinemar

Make sure you have the latest version of Macromedia Flash and DirectX installed on whatever machines you run MainLobby on and that should fix your problems.

John
post #645 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Purdy! It's always nice to see a new beast come to life. Nice job with cleaning things up.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #646 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 08:04 AM

Ruben,
How is that HT case to work in? I was considering the same one. Looks like you got it together ok, BUT how much swearing went on during the routing of cables. Sometimes, things just are not spaced right or they interfere with other stuff, especially powerful graphics cards.

Keep up the good work,
Cory
post #647 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

I would be surprised if you end up keeping windows64. I don't think you will have any problems with software but I believe you will find that you will want to install drivers for peripherals that are simply not available for the 64bit machines yet.

I have been running a triple-boot machine with XP-pro, XP-64, and MCE. I would love to stay with the 64bit as my main boot but I keep running into driver unavailability issues. Currently there are no drivers for my: webcam, scanner, digitizer, dell printer.

Now having said that, you might be ok with the htPC as you won't probably ahve such a need for peripherals.

Just some thoughts...

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #648 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

How are you launching MainLobby?
From a shortcut? Start menu? Desktop icon?

The software has not been tested or developed for XP 64bit - so you may get unexpected results. I'd expect them to come from MLServer before MainLobby though because of all the drivers.

For kicks, try uninstalling first, then reinstall. What are you seeing happen with MainLobby? Is there a quick flash of some sort or nothing happens? Anything in your task manager? If you prefer, we can take the discussion to the Cinemar forum or via email so we don't sidetrack your thread here.

Joe - have you had any issues running MainLobby on your 64 bit system?
post #649 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Ruben,

How are you launching MainLobby?
From a shortcut? Start menu? Desktop icon?

The software has not been tested or developed for XP 64bit - so you may get unexpected results. I'd expect them to come from MLServer before MainLobby though because of all the drivers.

For kicks, try uninstalling first, then reinstall. What are you seeing happen with MainLobby? Is there a quick flash of some sort or nothing happens? Anything in your task manager? If you prefer, we can take the discussion to the Cinemar forum or via email so we don't sidetrack your thread here.

Can you PM or Post a Direct # to you so we can talk by phone?

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #650 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Here is a couple Shots with an accent light on the Columns and with some panels up. Again, the Red in the pictures is way off, it's not Fire Engine Red like that....

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #651 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Well Last Night I let the PC Idle all night with no Air Conditioning on in our house to see if anything Wierd would happened and the Tempature remained stable. It is running at 29 Celcius / 89 Degrees which is below what normal is. The Normal idle Tempature for an AMD chip is 45 - 50 Celcius. So I think we got ourself a winner.

BigMouthInDC wanted a Breakdown of where I bought everything and What it cost so here it is...

This is a List of what I ordered...

I got the Following stuff from www.eWiz.com

Video Card
EVGA nVidia GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 2DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card
Part # EV-7800GTX
Price: $467.50

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+* (2.2GHz) Retail
Part # A64-44CDBX
Price: $498.52

Hard Drive
Seagate ST3400832AS 400GB Serial ATA 7200rpm NCQ Hard Drive
Part # HD-ST400BS
Price: $219.39

Hard Drive
Seagate ST380817AS 80GB Serial ATA 7200rpm NCQ Hard Drive
Part # HD-ST80SB7
Price: $59.48

Memory/Ram
2 DDR400 1GB Kingston Original Memory
Part # DDR4001GKI
Price: $87.03 Price Each

Mother Board
Abit KN8 SLI Socket 939/NF4 SLI/1394/ATX Motherboard
Part # MB-KN8-SLI
Price: $117.95

Total For eWiz $1,536.90

The Following Stuff was ordered from www.pcalchemy.com

Case
OrigenAE X15e HTPC Case w/TFT Touchscreen and IR Module, Black
PSU: Seasonic S12-500, 500W Silent PS
Card Reader: Black Internal 17-in-1 USB 2.0
Part # X15E-B
Price: $726.90

TV Tuner Card
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500MCE
Part # 1081
Price: $139.95

CPU Cooler
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu Copper CPU Fan Intel 478, AMD 754/939/940
Part # CNPS7000B-Cu
Price: $36.95

Total for www.PcAlchemy.com: $903.80

Total Cost for Building this PC: $2,440.70 plus shipping of Parts

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #652 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Ruben, the speaker grilles look like they came out nice, did you back them with anything like we were talking about (mesh or perforated metal)?

Scott

post #653 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Ruben, the speaker grilles look like they came out nice, did you back them with anything like we were talking about (mesh or perforated metal)?

Nah, that was just for show. The Speaker grills are Still not done yet. It's just GoM wrapped around the Speaker grill frame. One thing I can tell you for sure, is the Accent Lighting on the Columns is gonna be Awesome.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #654 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Folks. Need your Help here.

As you may know we already Started Building the Panels and Temporarly put them up on the wall. After Seeing how the Red Panels on top were lining up with the grills, I decided to bring them down to make everything a little more lined up. I will be having a Black carpet with a pattern. The Sconces below are not what I'm using, they are only for placement.

Please give me your opinion from the 4 Choices Below or a variation of 2 choices below, these drawings are all 100% to scale...

This is what we were doing before I changed My Mind...

These are some other Variations I came up with, using the Red Panels that are already Made. Notice the Red Panels are now lined up with the column grills...

Please help a Brother out

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #655 of 3772 Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM

I like the red centered with the speaker grills better. Not so sure about the "chair rail" though. I makes it look a bit busy. IF you really want to use that wood trim, I would use it for a crown molding, or a baseboard. I think when the wood is running across the panel sections, it takes away from the columns.

Like this:
post #656 of 3772 Old 01-18-2006, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I vote number two (assuming those are two wood accents), but it looks like addtional veneering and more work. You're used to that though!

Bud
post #657 of 3772 Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Hi Mario,

I will be doing more testing. I have not tried MLsever on the 64bit yet. My main server in the house is running windows2003 advanced server. When I tried to run MLserver on it it would not run. The MLserver window would pop open but it would lock up after that. So with that initial experience I did not even try any of the software on the 64bit.

I would be more than happy to if you wish. We can take a conversation offline.

Because of the problem and my wish to not change from server2003 I started to test CQC. sorry. So far CQC is working great on 2003server.

Again, not wanting to steal Ruben's thread I responded here only so that he and others could see the 2003server issue.

But I agree with your thoughts, I would assume that MLServer would have a very difficult time on 64bit windows. Not necessarily because of the code but more so because of unavailabilty of 3rd party drivers.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #658 of 3772 Old 01-18-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please help a Brother out

Sorry Ruben,

JMVHO but I don't like any of them. The horizontal lines in the black is what is bugging me.

My vote would be for variation #1 (centered with 2 wood rails) but with the lower black sections having vertical seams like the red panels. On the top I would again either 1) put the vertical black seams in or 2) have it all wood or 3) take the red up to the full height. It seems to me by the drawing that the sconces are too low in the centered version. If you take the red to the top you would be able to raise the sconces. It could be that just the drawings make them seem low. I don't think it looks good to have the sconce dead even with the middle of the speaker grills.

Here's a wild-ass idea that just came to me. It may not work because I think your complete theater is built using 90degree angles but I think it would look really nice and break up the red panels a little. If you want the top section to be black it would also tie that in a little better. Take the middle red panel, modify it to put in a black triangle from the top of it so that the bottom of the triangle ends up behind the sconce. Oh well, just a thought.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #659 of 3772 Old 01-18-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, if you're considering changing the horizontal black on the bottom (personally I like it this way), I'd just make it all one panel with no seams.

I also kind of like the one Test Engineer came up with. I know we discussed several options last night and it's really hard to say without seeing it personally. Any of the centered designs will work nicely. Which variation is a lot of personal taste.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #660 of 3772 Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Hi Mario,

I will be doing more testing. I have not tried MLsever on the 64bit yet. My main server in the house is running windows2003 advanced server. When I tried to run MLserver on it it would not run. The MLserver window would pop open but it would lock up after that. So with that initial experience I did not even try any of the software on the 64bit.

Joe

Joe,

An updated file is required to work on Windows2003 Server. This will come standard in the next version. Until then, the file can be found in this thread:
http://www.htpcservers.com/phpbb/vie...=2003&start=15

I had a chance to talk with Ruben via phone yesterday (the guys a wealth of knowledge) and we'll work on "Cinemarizing" his theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page