Sandmans Home Theater Construction Begins! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Ruben,

Been following this thread for quite a while now. Utterly amazing!!
Can't wait to see the finished theater.

The HTPC looks cool also. You commented on processor load when using ffdshow and theatertek. Out of curiosity, could you see what the load is when playing a HD-WMV 1080 file? (the ones you can find on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tShowcase.aspx)

Thanks,
Den

DenW
"The Black Hole" HT (and other stuff..): http://www.denonline.nl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

I Started backing up my DVD collection Yesterday. So Far I managed to get 40 titles in the Back-Up Drives. Takes about 12 minutes to Rip a DVD.

Sandman,

12 minutes? What are you using? Could you give us some specifics on what set of software you're using?

I am just finishing my own HTPC and want to start archiving my DVD's as well, but the array of software seemingly required, and the steps to do it properly is dizzying.

thanks for your help in advance,

Jerry

P.S. awesome theatre!
post #723 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force View Post

Really cool step by step of the build but personally from an investor's standpoint I think I would have added this onto the structure rather than eliminating the possibility of future owners having a garage. I'm sure there's a guy out there looking for a house with a HT, but I'd bet the majority of potential buyers would rather have the option of automobile storage. Unless of course you have another set of detatched garages on the property.

Either way Awesome planning and execution. The finished product will be remarkable.

I think that he said earlier that he was planning on building some sort of new vehicle storage afterwards.

But, I do agree with you, a garage is a must.
post #724 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown_Jerry View Post

Could you give us some specifics on what set of software you're using?

I believe the software was discussed a page or two back. It was even concieved by one of the forum goers of this site.

Now if Ruben wanted to add some more details as to the actual process of adding the dvds (and whether or not he took out extra features or audio tracks... really, what are you going to do with that Dolby track on the War of the Worlds DVD? ^_^ ) then I'd be all for it.

At his disgression and leisure of course...
post #725 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Sandman,

12 minutes? What are you using? Could you give us some specifics on what set of software you're using?

I am just finishing my own HTPC and want to start archiving my DVD's as well, but the array of software seemingly required, and the steps to do it properly is dizzying.

Jerry

P.S. awesome theatre!

one method is

Get AnyDVD, install and setup to go straight to movie to avoid all the rubbish

Open windows explorer and copy Video TS file (from DVD drive) to where ever movies are stored and when finished rename the new file with the movies name.

If you use TheaterTek to play the movies you can have it auto aspect ratio by playing 1 second of the movie and choosing proper aspect ratio as well as choose auto DTS or DD.

The speed at which it rips to the HD must depend on several variables like DVD drive, Processor and memory since I can rip 3 movies at one time and my fastest ripping drive is on 32' of USB cable , go figure? My server takes 20 minutes and the HTPC take 10-15 on a 7 gig movie.
post #726 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also Got TheaterTek 2.2.1 with FFDShow and dScaler rocking with the Pre-Settings from Vern. The pre-settings that Vern put together for FFdshow and dScaler worked out perfectly for me. Thanks Vern!

A word of wise, If your going to build your own HTPC, Use a nVidia 7800GTX video card. Do not use ATI. I been doing some serious reading after the fact and learned that the 7800GTX is the best card right now for HTPC. I originally made this decision myself based on specs and a few quick readings here and there. I'm glad I made the right choice.

So if your planning on building a Serious HTPC, follow my parts list above (case is variable) and you should be golden.

Ruben

What does Dscaler do that theatertek doesnt? I have not checked into it .

Have you tried the ATI cards to see the difference between them and the 7800? I have heard the new ATI X1x00 Sapphires with AVIVO are comperable to $3000 scalers and supposedly outshine the NVidia Pure video Drivers. I really wish there was hard fact on all this

Whats the audio end of your HTPC? SPDIF passthrough off motherboard?
post #727 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

I believe the software was discussed a page or two back. It was even concieved by one of the forum goers of this site.

I looked but only saw hardware parts list.. I'll look again..

thanks!

Jerry
post #728 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I looked but only saw hardware parts list.. I'll look again..

thanks!

Jerry

Somewhere around post 635 sandman said this:

"Yes, for software I'm using the Cinemar Main Lobby/DVD Lobby/Music Lobby Package. To me, they by far have the best looking front end software and I like the organization of everything. Plus it can control up to 12 Sony 400 Disk DVD Jukeboxs.
I'm also using TheaterTek for the archived Video Playback. I already started adding titles to the Database. I'm also gonna experiment with the Charmed Quark and See how that goes."

They talked a bit about it after that...
post #729 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 11:01 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sandman, I know you've settled on your screen but I'm really puzzled by your description of the CCC since I haven't seen anyone else who'd used it be dissatisfied. Did you try both sides of it? I noticed on mine that there is definitely a "coated" side (more uniform and brighter) and a non-coated side...
post #730 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force View Post

Really cool step by step of the build but personally from an investor's standpoint I think I would have added this onto the structure rather than eliminating the possibility of future owners having a garage. I'm sure there's a guy out there looking for a house with a HT, but I'd bet the majority of potential buyers would rather have the option of automobile storage. Unless of course you have another set of detatched garages on the property.

Either way Awesome planning and execution. The finished product will be remarkable.

Where I live, you don't have much property to do anything with. Also, out of my neighborhood about 5 people put their cars in there garage. Everyone else just uses them to store unused junk like I use to.

I have no intention on selling my home within at least the next 10 years. So even if I sell the house and have to rip the theater down, I would of gotten well more than my moneys worth. We also have a 4 Car Driveway for parking.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #731 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sandman,

Jerry

P.S. awesome theatre!

I'm Using CloneDVD. The process is rather simple, Load CloneDVD up set your settings 1 time to Last forever (ie. what Folder, Main Feature or whole DVD) and then hit the Start button. Clove DVD even names the Movie Title folder for you.
Since I have a built in 7" Touch Screen on my HTPC, I can do everything self contained. So as I'm working throughout the Day I rip DVDs. Once the dvd is ripped, an alarm sounds, I eject, put a new DVD in and hit the start button again. This repeats like this all day without having to keep changing settings or naming folders.

As far as what I'm ripping, I'm only ripping the main Feature of the DVD and all the Audio formats. It takes between 9 - 13 minutes to Rip the main feature and Audio. I leave out all the other junk (Menus, Previews, extra Features, etc.) This makes it so when I run DVD lobby I select a Movie by the cover click On it and the movie strts to play right away. You can even have your animated theater Logo play on the big screen between Hitting play and the Movie Playing.

Here is a screen Shot of the HTPC Screen with CloneDVD...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #732 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 PM

[quote=Mark P]Have you tried the ATI cards to see the difference between them and the 7800? I have heard the new ATI X1x00 Sapphires with AVIVO are comperable to $3000 scalers and supposedly outshine the NVidia Pure video Drivers. I really wish there was hard fact on all this

Ok first let me say I just got back from the Case Western Reserve University Science Fiction film festival. First movie started a 8 PM Friday, Last movie ended 5:30 Am this morning then car trouble, fixing car trouble, ETC. So am going on about 6 hours sleep since 9 AM Friday morning, so bear with me on any mistakes.

I don't have any experience with the new ATI cards, but a friend has one of the older RADON all in wonder cards, and I would never buy it.

It is so complicated that everytime he tries to set it up with a PJ, that is usually takes him about 20 to 40 minutes to get it working. It never seems to work the same way twice.

He has been through 4 different cards. First one died, the next three did not work, until he at ATI's insistence changed out his power supply.

When using it as a Tivo like device, and he fast forwards to avoid commercials the card us just as likely to fast reverse, or just plain crash the PC.

All in all, mixed with all the other bad experiences i have has with ATIs I just can't see buying one.

John

Some people say the glass is half empty...
Some people say it's half full...
I say someone didn't buy enough beer!
post #733 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

I did Some Very Interesting Tests today Thanks to the Comment from DenW above. Today I learned exactly how powerfull the HTPC I put together was.

First, I went to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...ntShowcase.aspx and downloaded the 1080p HD trailer of The Living Sea (IMAX)

Then I went to http://www.apple.com/trailers/ and downloaded the 1080 HD trailer of "King Kong" and the 1080 HD trailer of "The Hills Have Eyes".

I have 3 Computers handy next to each other
one is the AMD Dual Core HTPC I built, See The Specs Here
one is a SONY VAIO PCV RS 410 P4 2.6 with 1 gig of Ram
the other is a Apple G5 Dual 2.7 with 4 Gigs of Ram.

I ran these 1080p trailers on all 3 machines and this is what I found out...

First Lets Start with the Sony Vaio.

I ran the 1080p The Living Sea (IMAX) trailer on it in WMP and it kept dropping massive frames. The Movie kept freezing up and was unbearable so I stopped it. I had the Task manager opened during the Playback and the CPU was running at 100% (Probably alot more than that)

I also tried to run the 1080 King Kong trailer on the Sony Vaio with Quicktime and that was not happening.

Here is a Screen Shot from the Sony Vaio Task Manager while the 1080p Trailer in WMP was trying really hard to play.

So Next Let's Move onto the Apple G5 Dual 2.7

I ran the King Kong 1080 Trailer on this Machine and launched the Activity Monitor and the CPU was at 52 - 60% usage, the trailer played straight through smoothly. Then I ran Both of the 1080 Trailers and the CPU usage was 85% - 90% and after playing smoothly for about 30 Seconds Quicktime would crash.

So Now Lets move onto the HTPC I built.

First I ran the HD 1080p trailer of The Living Sea (IMAX) with WMP and the CPU was at 19% Usage and it played through smoothly.

Then I played the Same file in TheaterTek 2.2 with ffdshow and dScaler with Verns Settings. The CPU then Jumped up to 29 - 33% Usage.

So Then I went for Broke...

I played the Same 1080 file in TheaterTek 2.2 with ffdshow and dScaler with Verns Settings. I also Played a HD 1080 WMP Trailer, A Quicktime 1080 Trailer of King Kong while Ripping a DVD in CloneDVD. All this running at the Same time Smoothly with no dropped frames and the CPU Usage was at 84% Still enough room to run alot more stuff

Here are some screen Shots...

This is the 1080 HD Footage of The Living Sea (IMAX)

Here is My AMD HTPC Not running any Video..

Here is the 1080 HD Footage of The Living Sea (IMAX) running on WMP...

Here is the CPU usage orf TheaterTek with ffdshow and dscaler and Verns Settings...

Here is the CPU Usage of the 3 1080 HD Trailers playing at the Same Time while CloneDVD is Ripping a DVD..

Pretty Interesting.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #734 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 05:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 582
This has got to stop.

First we were AMUSED when you built a staggered stud wall but didn't put any drywall on the outside . And then of course it wasn't high enough.

Then we were in AWE when we saw all that Woodworking detail.

Now we are just plain GREEN with envy.

Will you build one for me?

I like that Hush Box but I have some concerns. I really think the air intake on the bottom needs a little more breathing room. If you are covering it with GOM I'd cut out a section.

I'm not sure how you are going to hang that thing but be sure to plan to be able to take it down every 6 months or so for a bulb replacement.

You will need to set up your lens shift in advance of closing it in since it is a manual adjustment, then fine tune the placement of screen after. Also if you plan on having someone calibrate the beast in the service menu, I'm pretty sure you have to access all the buttons manually to get to the service menus.
post #735 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

This has got to stop.

First we were AMUSED when you built a staggered stud wall but didn't put any drywall on the outside . And then of course it wasn't high enough.

Then we were in AWE when we saw all that Woodworking detail.

Now we are just plain GREEN with envy.

Will you build one for me?

You Got Jokes, huh? To Clarify the Staggered Studded wall with no Drywall on the outside, that was just me building walls too fast If I would of just done a regular 2 x 4 wall I would of saved a whopping $50 Hey, at least all my walls are framed the same way now.

As far as making the ceilings higher, it was one of those things you had to be there to witness. I am so damn Happy I didn't do 8' ceilings now, that extra foot is like a mile in the room now. With the 8 Foot ceilings I would of been banging my head on the Soffits on the Platform (I'm 6'-3" Tall).

As far as Making a HTPC for you, Lets Do it!

Fun, Fun, Fun, that's what this is all about!

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #736 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
alot of the power is in the vid card you have a 500 dollar card there. i my self witnt with dual msi 7800gt the olny thing i notice is i did install xp pro and not xp pro 64 and i do have some problems with some of my drivers.

that is a sweet setup and i love the case.

well off to watch lord of war

if you are lucky enough to be irish you are lucky enough
post #737 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I like that Hush Box but I have some concerns. I really think the air intake on the bottom needs a little more breathing room. If you are covering it with GOM I'd cut out a section.

I'm not sure how you are going to hang that thing but be sure to plan to be able to take it down every 6 months or so for a bulb replacement.

You will need to set up your lens shift in advance of closing it in since it is a manual adjustment, then fine tune the placement of screen after. Also if you plan on having someone calibrate the beast in the service menu, I'm pretty sure you have to access all the buttons manually to get to the service menus.

Thanks for your concerns,

All the spots on the Projector that has grills or vents are open with plenty of Airflow in the Box. Plus the Grills on the Bottom are accessable without having to take the projector off the mounting plate. The Hush box will get finished as well like the columns. Also, the projector has a Tempature cut off if it starts getting too hot.

As far as changing bulbs, the hush box cover is held in place by 8 screws.
This was all thought out ahead of time.

The projector mounts to the Soffit without having the hush box cover in Place. So all manual adjustments can be made before putting the Hush Box Cover on.

Thanks
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #738 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This thread is amazing. Superb work and attention to detail in everything.

We are going to have to ask the mods to create a special search index just for this thread alone. Its that big and has all the information you need. Its hard traversing 25 pages to remember where you saw a particular item.

Im about to start my theater build thread, but I think I will wait until this one is finished so I can get some views LOL...

Great job man.

Ronnie
post #739 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson View Post

This thread is amazing. Superb work and attention to detail in everything.

We are going to have to ask the mods to create a special search index just for this thread alone. Its that big and has all the information you need. Its hard traversing 25 pages to remember where you saw a particular item.

Im about to start my theater build thread, but I think I will wait until this one is finished so I can get some views LOL...

Great job man.

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie. Yeah this thread is getting quite big here isn't it? Nothings worst than having to read through 25 pages to find a post.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #740 of 3772 Old 01-22-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:

So Next Let's Move onto the Apple G5 Dual 2.7

I ran the King Kong 1080 Trailer on this Machine and launched the Activity Monitor and the CPU was at 52 - 60% usage, the trailer played straight through smoothly. Then I ran Both of the 1080 Trailers and the CPU usage was 85% - 90% and after playing smoothly for about 30 Seconds Quicktime would crash.

Your HTPC is truly amazing, I wonder if there would be much difference now with the dual core intel macs.

Couple of questions, the SATA array which you mentioned would be outside of the room is that connected to an APC power and does it have its own fuse box or running on the same panel as the rest of the equipment? And does your HTPC accept the fiber straight from the SATA array?

Thanks,

Mehran
post #741 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 04:21 AM

Hi Ruben,

Glad i asked the question That's some PC you've built there! Amazing you can run 3 HD streams and still rip a DVD on the background.

Thanks very much for taking the time to try it and take the screenshots.

DenW
"The Black Hole" HT (and other stuff..): http://www.denonline.nl
post #742 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

This is just sick...!!! I only clicked on a few pages and I'm amazed already...can't wait.
post #743 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Also, by archiving titles on a hard drive, means no more having to go through all the Previews and Menu to watch a movie. Just hit play and the movie is playing...

Ruben, one great feature of the 777 is that, using the disc direct command, you can skip all the previews and go right tom the movie as well. On 99% of all DVDs the feature is title #1. The big violator of this rule is Dreamworks, who always put "forced previews" as title #1 and usually hide the feature as the #15 or something.

To overcome this, I use one of DVDLobby's custom fields to specify "prefered title" so that, as long as I know the feature's title, will always start the DVD on the feature (requires some extra MLServer Commands, though). It works very well.

However, I cannot agree with you more about the value of being able to remove extras sometimes. Yesterday I was trying to play a Baby Einstein DVD for my son in the car, and it took a good 3 minutes to get through the menues and get the mvoies going on my cheapo portable player. I've already ripped all of these DVDs to my HTPC once already (I usually rip things less than 1 hour long to HTPC and things over 1 hour long I put in the 777 - did a cost per gigabyte analysis, based on what paid for the 777 and what I paid for my HDDs and determined that 60 minutes was the "breaking point" where - say - 2.5GB of HDD space for 1 hour of DVD quality video costs less than one "slot" in my changer - which is worth up to 9.4 GBs for a DL DVD.) Anyway, I decided yesterday that I was going to rip all of my Boy's Baby Einstein DVDs to DVD-Rs and put them in a portbale carrier in the car so we'll have menu-free instant acess to these while we're on the road. Probably a good idea to do for some other DVDs as well that we may want to view on the road - so we won't have to remove them from the changer when we travel.

John
post #744 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Ruben,

Question is, how does your quad G5 with 10gb of ram play the HD trailers/previews? What kind of performance can you get out of that?

Jrfuda: Baby Einstein DVD's are great, but I agree all the menus are a pain. How did you shrink the big 8.5Gb dvd master to fit onto the 4.5 dvd-r?
post #745 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

...How did you shrink the big 8.5Gb dvd master to fit onto the 4.5 dvd-r?

After you play with DVDShrink for a while and beginto really look at DVDs, you'll realize that most DVDs do not use the full capacity of the DVD format.

Most Baby Einstein DVDs are only 30 minutes in length, and even with menues intact, rarely exceed 3GB - they're usually more like 2.2GBs. This is (I imagine) becuase they're 4:3 material that is really VHS quality on a DVD, so it's a low bit rate.

I have even thought about reauthoring the 12-odd disc collection into maybe 3 or 4 discs with my own custom menus, or no menus with each title just playing in order - given the source material it could be compressed rather aggressively (maybe 50%) without much quality loss.

Our Holiday DVDs - Frosty, Rudolph, and the rest - are in the same boat. Barely takeup 2 GBs on the original DVD with complete menus.

What's funny, is many feature length films are like this too. When I first started using DVDShrink, I backed-up a couple of my discs just to see how it worked and to tweak my settings. Several discs - especially older comedies, are single-layer discs and don't even fill up the entire layer... we're talking ~3GB full length features with menus and everything... I think Happy Gilmore was one of them, if I remember correctly. I've also tried DVDshrinking a few of my REALLY full DVDs. On some of these discs, the feature alone is like 7.7 GBs. With these you have to use DVDShrinks compression settings and leave out all extra features and audio tracks in order to get it to fit on a 4.5 GB single-layer disc. I played the disc on my 50" TV along side the original (I put one in my changer and the other in my old single disc player - that I still use for rentals) and switched my recevier back-and-forth between them and could not see or hear a diffference in quality. However, the quality diff may become noticeable on something the scale of what Sandman's doing.

Look here for some good information on backing-up your DVD collection to both HDD's and additional DVD: http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

John
post #746 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:

I'm Using CloneDVD. The process is rather simple, Load CloneDVD up set your settings 1 time to Last forever (ie. what Folder, Main Feature or whole DVD) and then hit the Start button. Clove DVD even names the Movie Title folder for you.

Ruben,
Thanks! I had discovered AnyDVD which someone mentioned earlier and I can copy most DVD's to HDD.. there are some it won't do and of course, I get all the extras.. I'll try CloneDVD from the same company!

I was pleasantly surprised to see how many players support the _TS format.. MCE does and even freebie Media Player Classic.. so does Sage TV..

I don't have anywhere near the storage you have, however. So, I will begin to experiment with some compression (I'll probably start with Divx and maybe DVDShrink as jrfuda recommends above.), but I'm sure that will limit the players/UI I'll be able to use.

My aim is to have a wife-acceptable UI for music/movies/stored video.. i'm going to leave live video from my Moto cable STB for now as the quality is untouchable..

Thanks again!

Jerry
post #747 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post

To overcome this, I use one of DVDLobby's custom fields to specify "prefered title" so that, as long as I know the feature's title, will always start the DVD on the feature (requires some extra MLServer Commands, though). It works very well.

Hey JrFuda,

Do You use ffdshow with TheaterTek or Zoom Player? I was talking to Vern Dias yesterday and he said that when you run 720 or 1080 HD content to TheaterTek, TheaterTek disables the post processing for ffdshow and dScaler if you use his settings.

This is what he said...

"If you click on the .ifo file, then it's just like playing a DVD.

If you used my latest version, there is a limit that says don't resize if the source is over 600 pixels high or 800 pixels wide. I believe Dscaler is still applied, though.

However TT also has a switch and the default is only to use the video PP if the file types are .ifo or .vob. File types must match the selected file types in the Files dialog to be eligible for ffdshow processing.

Vern"

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #748 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ruben,
Thanks! I had discovered AnyDVD which someone mentioned earlier and I can copy most DVD's to HDD.. there are some it won't do and of course, I get all the extras.. I'll try CloneDVD from the same company!

I was pleasantly surprised to see how many players support the _TS format.. MCE does and even freebie Media Player Classic.. so does Sage TV..

I don't have anywhere near the storage you have, however. So, I will begin to experiment with some compression (I'll probably start with Divx and maybe DVDShrink as jrfuda recommends above.), but I'm sure that will limit the players/UI I'll be able to use.

My aim is to have a wife-acceptable UI for music/movies/stored video.. i'm going to leave live video from my Moto cable STB for now as the quality is untouchable..

Thanks again!

Jerry

that was me that suggested AnyDVD and I have never found a DVD it wont copy out of hundreds , I take that back .....when I had an older DVD drive (couple years old) I used to get some cyclic redundancy error all the time and when I bought a newer dvd drive all my problems went away, AnyDVD has fixes for their software almost on a dailey basis to fix any disc that wont copy. You can go into the settings and remove all the junk I think, maybe not but you can certainly start the movie without menues and such
post #749 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey JrFuda,

Do You use ffdshow with TheaterTek or Zoom Player? I was talking to Vern Dias yesterday and he said that when you run 720 or 1080 HD content to TheaterTek, TheaterTek disables the post processing for ffdshow and dScaler if you use his settings.

This is what he said...

"If you click on the .ifo file, then it's just like playing a DVD.

If you used my latest version, there is a limit that says don't resize if the source is over 600 pixels high or 800 pixels wide. I believe Dscaler is still applied, though.

Vern"

Did Vern mention what settings must be changed to make his settings work with ffdshow via Theatertek? I tried his settings last night and my CPU usage went from 30% to 70% so I figured his settings must be working on my 720P projector . the picture cleaned up considerably and I want to keep the PC forced at 720P for media center and internet surfing. Could you explain a little more detailed your statement :

"However TT also has a switch and the default is only to use the video PP if the file types are .ifo or .vob. File types must match the selected file types in the Files dialog to be eligible for ffdshow processing."

Maybe I have something setup right by accident, I remember awhile back playing around with the ATI drivers and setting them to play video at 800 x 600 or something like that but keep the PC at forced 720P
post #750 of 3772 Old 01-23-2006, 10:25 AM

I use ZoomPlayer. I scale every thing to the native resolution of my set - 1280x720 - so there's not too much upconversion. I think I don't fully utilize FFDShow, and rather just use it as a codec and not a scaler/filter. I think all of the scaling is performed by ZoomPlayer and its manupulation of the various codecs for playback.

My HTPC serves as my automation PC 99% of the time, with it only being called to serve as an actual HTPC for the playback of pre-movie trivia and trailers - and for playing the couple dozen movies (kids movies) I have stored on HDD - so it's hardware is geared more towards stability and reliability for home automation and less towards mulitmedia. Heck, the video card in it is a 5-year old ATI Radeon 7500!

That said, I've tried using various levels of scaling and filtering with FFDShow, with less than desireable effect... My frame rates were in the tens and teens, even with just scaling and/or a little additional filtering. Becuase of this I let ZoomPlayer handle the scaling and just use FFDShow as a codec - so my PC-based playback system is not a good reference.

Eventually I will build another PC and have a PC dedicated to just mulitmedia playback (a true HTPC - maybe one in each viewing location).

Here's a thread over at CocoonTech (a great automation site) where I discuss my latest integration project(s): http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=3387

John
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page