Sandmans Home Theater Construction Begins! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ruben,

Your theater is looking great. I hope one day to emulate your efforts.

Regards,

Howard

Where Liberty dwells, there is my country. -- Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.lampsusa.com

from this:

to this:

to this:

and more

Scott

post #813 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
post #814 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Yeah it Sucks. I do allot of Video work, restoration, color correction, etc. and Picture quality is a must for me. The Clearpix2 just aint cutting it with this Optoma H-79. Maybe CP2 works better with a CRT and LCD PJs, who knows?

Ruben

I had the opportunity to see a clearpix2 screen (8 foot wide) with a Ruby (un-calibrated) projector. From what I could observe, anywhere within 4 feet of the screen you could see the pattern of the fabric. From 15 feet, where we were sitting it looked wonderful to me. Even at a 60 degree angle to the screen the picture looked fantastic. I tried really hard, because I knew the fabric pattern was there, but I was unable to discern any pattern at the 15 froot range. I don't know the differences between the Optima H-79 and the Ruby and if that would make a difference or not. Plus, because of Ruben's profession, I am sure that his eye is far more critical than mine. Personally, I was amazed by the depth of the picture. They were displaying I,Robots with no sound. (They had not hooked up the sound system yet.)

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #815 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post

There are several reasons why it's nice to have both a 777 and HDD-based movie collection.

1. Cost per movie - uncompressed - is cheaper in a 777. Even ay 5GB per movie (which will require some compression on most movies) You'd need 2TB of space in order to equal the storage capacity of the 777, and if you figure you're using a RAID5 volume (which is the most common RAID type for media servers, and probably the one that makes the most sense) you need 2TBs + 1 HDD (so, 8+1 (9) 250GB drives, 7+1 (8) 300GB drives, or 4+1 (5) 500GB drives. Given the price of the RAID5 hardware, plus drives and PC - the cost gets very high per movie. However, if your ultimate goal is to be able to watch something different on ever TV in the house, then the extra cost is worth it.

2. As others have said, it's a lot easier to stick a disc in a changer slot than to copy it to HDD, and there are some movie that just can't be copied, even if you re-author it, use a DVD Decrypter & DVDShrink Combo, etc. I have some movies that play fine in my DVD players, but give me CRC errors when I try to back them up with either program.

Yes, the playback may be somewhat inferior to HTPC playback, but you have to remember that the source material is always 480i - no matter what! So any improvements you get with scaling - whether using FFDShow, DScaler, or an external hardware scaler is still manipulating a 480i picture.

I've seen some side-by-side shots in various threads on various forums 'round the net and the quality increase you get from scaling is subjective. I think some really hardcore videophiles may actually prefer an unscaled picture - though I don't know, and I can't tell on my meger 720p 50" set. This morning I finished hooking up a modulator to my DVDChanger and watched about five minutes of a movie in a remote room - Now, the TV was only a 32" SD model, but the picture looked awesome to me - and this was a "TV" channel for goodness sakes! I'm sure if I viewed the modulated content on my 50" or something bigger I would have noticed quality issues, though (I think there may have been a wee bit of a herringbone pattern in the pic - but you had to really look for it).

One day, when I can copy an uncompressed movie onto HDD for about $1.25 per movie - including the cost of building the PC storing the movie and all HDDs & RAID cards, I'll switch to a purely HDD-based system. If I win the lottery or my investments really take off, then I may raise the cost per movie threshold, however

For someone who has more money budgeted for this kind of thing, hoever, I'd say an HTPC-based system is a great way to go.

What I think Ruben should do, is get his 777, slowly copy all his movies to HDD, removing them from the 777 as he does, and when the 777's empty, he should sell it to me for a song!

Thanks John, Lots of good information here. Does the Sony have a digital out? Could it be hooked up to the htPC in such a way to use the Sony for it's near-online access but run the content through the htPC and be able to use the scalar capabilities on the pc?

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #816 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 06:28 PM

I still vote for a custom build sconce. If you like modern art like I do, let your inspirations be your guide.

Whaddya think?

Free museum edition pocket protectors to those who can guess this apparatus :>

David.
post #817 of 3772 Old 01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Personally, I'm not convinced you need the sconces. If you're looking for something just as a piece of jewelry so to speak, something modern but relatively small would be my suggestion.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/wall...?family=150488
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/wall...px?family=8859
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/prod...?family=130868
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/wall...?family=149471 (garcia glass)
http://www.lightinguniverse.com/wall...?family=154257

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #818 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Awesome Sconces Guys!!! Thanks for all the Links.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #819 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ruben
With your ability I would build somthing to compliment the beautiful work you have done so far ! You seem to be a master of wood and that is where I would start ! Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
post #820 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Thanks John, Lots of good information here. Does the Sony have a digital out? Could it be hooked up to the htPC in such a way to use the Sony for it's near-online access but run the content through the htPC and be able to use the scalar capabilities on the pc?

Joe

No, it can only be controlled via a PC. Sony has a new MCE PC that has a built-in 200 disc changer, though, but I don't know if the video goes directly out of the changer or is processed through the PC. It's very expensive too.

John
post #821 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 01:23 PM

My 2 cents... (for what it's worth..)

I don't think you need sconces.. they way you are lighting those columns makes them glow.. showing off that great wood grain.. almost virtual sconces, if you will.. I think it would detract from the columns if you put sconces in there..

Jerry
post #822 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown_Jerry View Post

My 2 cents... (for what it's worth..)

I don't think you need sconces.. they way you are lighting those columns makes them glow.. showing off that great wood grain.. almost virtual sconces, if you will.. I think it would detract from the columns if you put sconces in there..

Jerry

My exact thoughts.

You have an awesome theater with great lines. Throw some sconces in there, and it will throw everything off. Just my opinion though.

Keep up the great work! I love every bit of it.
post #823 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 PM

I agree - no sconces...

although, I bet you could easily build some that look like these: http://www.htmarket.com/accentsconce.html with your skills that would fit-in nicely with your design.

John
post #824 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 PM

Just amazing!!

I would vote for no sconces, for more lighting I would opt for hidden row of lights behind the wooden trim that reflects light on the side panels with dimmers. This way if the lights are off no one can see the fixtures or bulbs themselves, and when you need to vacuum or change things you can brighten the room to your liking.

Your transparency, balance and depth of knowledge in all aspects of this project is greatly admired and appreciated.

Mehran
post #825 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

I'll throw in my vote for no sconces. Your theater has such great lines and visual interest, I think the sconces would distract, rather that add to the appearance. If you really think you may want the sconces, I would just make sure you are wired for them but then wait until the theater is finished to make your final decision.

I see all your panels are up. They look great. Do you have any details on how you built and installed them? I looked back through the tread but didn't find any detail.

I'm a bit reluctant to make this next comment because I think all of your work is truly awesome; however, every time I look at your star ceiling, the stars appear just a bit too uniform. It almost looks unnatural. Can the star brightness be changed after the fact to be more varied in intensity or is it fixed in stone at this point? Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
post #826 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 76
No sconces.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #827 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ0007 View Post

I'll throw in my vote for no sconces. Your theater has such great lines and visual interest, I think the sconces would distract, rather that add to the appearance. If you really think you may want the sconces, I would just make sure you are wired for them but then wait until the theater is finished to make your final decision.

I see all your panels are up. They look great. Do you have any details on how you built and installed them? I looked back through the tread but didn't find any detail.

I'm a bit reluctant to make this next comment because I think all of your work is truly awesome; however, every time I look at your star ceiling, the stars appear just a bit too uniform. It almost looks unnatural. Can the star brightness be changed after the fact to be more varied in intensity or is it fixed in stone at this point? Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Thanks Scott,

The Stars twinkle and the pattern of the Stars are a mimick of the Alpha Centauri Solar System. This was the only pattern I could find that I could blow up big enough to mimick for the whole ceiling.

Each panel contains a different group of stars to make this up (12 Panels in total with 600 Stars). Also, what you dont see in the pictures besides the Shimmering of stars, is the various brighter & dimmer stars or the shooting stars.

Believe me, the last thing I would want would be a repeating pattern of stars.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #828 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 05:25 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Thanks Scott,

The Stars twinkle and the pattern of the Stars are a mimick of the Alpha Centauri Solar System. This was the only pattern I could find that I could blow up big enough to mimick for the whole ceiling.

Each panel contains a different group of stars to make this up (12 Panels in total with 600 Stars). Also, what you dont see in the pictures besides the Shimmering of stars, is the various brighter & dimmer stars or the shooting stars.

Believe me, the last thing I would want would be a repeating pattern of stars.

Ruben

C'mon, Scott... After reading this thread, did you really think that Sandman would have done anything less than attend to every single detail on this? I mean, what he's probably not telling us is that he has actually matched the individual colors of each "star" to match the actual make up of gasses known to be contained within each one.
post #829 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

C'mon, Scott... After reading this thread, did you really think that Sandman would have done anything less than attend to every single detail on this? I mean, what he's probably not telling us is that he has actually matched the individual colors of each "star" to match the actual make up of gasses known to be contained within each one.

That's a whole other thread.
But yes, I was a bit anal about the pattern not being repetative and looking real as possible without doing large clusters of stars and big empty spots.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #830 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Of course I knew Sandman would attend to every detail. He also probably hasn't told us that his other hobby is astronomy and that he HT ceiling can do double duty as a planetarium and he can replicate any Solar System known to man . But I still had to ask the question because of the way the pictures appeared. When I was showing off his theater to my wife she commented on it too. She also wants a star ceiling in our theater now!
post #831 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Updates:

Well today we got the rest Of the Panels framed Out, got the Door installed, and managed to fabric one of the lower panels. Heres some Pictures...

These are the Bottom Frames without the Fabric in place until tomorrow...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #832 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Just simply amazing Ruben! I know you here it alot but it is true!

Question, how did you do this panel?

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #833 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Someone above asked how we made our panels. Well here you go...

First we Cut and routered all our wood. We used particle board to make them. The method we used to made these panels will prove to last for a very long time without sagging or bowing. They are quite easy and fast to make once all your wood is cut and routered..

Layout and glue your back. We use ProBond Glue its the worlds strongest Wood glue.

put your sides on Glued and Nailed..

Then its ready for Fabric...

Here it is without fabric in the wall...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #834 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

Just simply amazing Ruben! I know you here it alot but it is true!

Question, how did you do this panel?

Thanks!

That is 3 panels made into one big panel before it goes up. Here is a back shot...

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #835 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Damn. Nice work.

Hey, is this some sort of DIY scam. Do you have like 10 people working on this with you? That is a lot of routering and nailing for one guy to do.
post #836 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
LOL!!!! Do it yourself scam! That's great!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #837 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do I remember correctly that those panels are held in with velcro? Are the wood trim pieces velcro'd too, or did you nail those?
post #838 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

You know, now that I think about it, even these pictures are too good. Looks professional to me. Some sort of covert Home Depot scam to get us all to work on our own HTs.

We are on to your devious little plan now!
post #839 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ0007 View Post

Of course I knew Sandman would attend to every detail. He also probably hasn't told us that his other hobby is astronomy and that he HT ceiling can do double duty as a planetarium and he can replicate any Solar System known to man . But I still had to ask the question because of the way the pictures appeared. When I was showing off his theater to my wife she commented on it too. She also wants a star ceiling in our theater now!

How the hell do you guys find Out all my secrets?
The internet gives away too much info.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #840 of 3772 Old 01-27-2006, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhite View Post

Damn. Nice work.

Hey, is this some sort of DIY scam. Do you have like 10 people working on this with you? That is a lot of routering and nailing for one guy to do.

Thanks. LOL

1 half day of work with 1 man. Once your all set up you just let them rip.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page