Sandmans Home Theater Construction Begins! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3772 Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Sandman, What happened did you fall off a ladder or something?

After starting this great thread and giving us almost daily updates, to leave us hanging for 6 days is like a good episode of Lost. You give us a few answers but raise twice as many questions.

Like how are you going to build those soffits and make them bass absorbers? Can you find enough book shelf projects to use up that MDF.

What screen and projector will he end up with?, Will all the soundproofing work? Will the Florida insects find that garden of eden of sand and wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3772 Old 10-08-2005, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Sandman, What happened did you fall off a ladder or something?

After starting this great thread and giving us almost daily updates, to leave us hanging for 6 days is like a good episode of Lost. You give us a few answers but raise twice as many questions.

Like how are you going to build those soffits and make them bass absorbers? Can you find enough book shelf projects to use up that MDF.

What screen and projector will he end up with?, Will all the soundproofing work? Will the Florida insects find that garden of eden of sand and wood?

Ha, ha, ha,
Thanks for checking In to make sure I'm still alive.

The new worker has proven to be rather a slow, but Good worker.
This is what got accomplished this week,

1) We sealed up the front Stage (Double 3/4" Plywood with Roofing Felt in between),

2) Finished Drywalling the Equipment Rack and behind the entrance wall.

3) Got all our Plywood cut for the Platform and stairs (but not tied down yet). We are still waiting for the chairs to determine placement of Banana plates & Outlets for the Top of the platform for possible future Butkickers.

4) We started encasing the Ducts with 3/4" MDF to stop Bass from traveling through the Duct work).

5) We installed all the 2"x2"s on the ceiling that the top front of the Soffits will attach to. The front of the Soffits will be solid 3/4" MDF and the bottom of the Soffits will remain open framed with 2" x 2"s to allow the soffits to be used as Bass traps. We will be Stuffing the soffits with all those Boxes of Cotton you see in one of the pictures I previously posted.

6) The Conduit for the platform got installed and ran into the Equipment rack.

7) Cleaning, (lots of cleaning got done). Almost all my tools were covered with Green Glue and Drywall Dust due to my previous worker being real sloppy. So I spent a half day cleaning off all my tools and re-organizing them.

Most of the Leftover MDF will be used for the Top and Bottoms of the 6 columns. Whatever is left Over from there, will be used for the next project.

The Projector I am going with (unless a better one comes out before completion of the theater) is the Optoma H-79 (like yours). That projector seems to be the best thing since Water according to the tons of reviews I read on it.

The Screen will be a Da-Lite Hi Contrast Micro Perf with a 1.1 gain, unless I learn about a Better Da-Lite Screen. I can't afford or rather won't spend $5,000.00 on a Stewart Screen at this point in my life.

As soon as the theater progresses a Little more, I will post some new pictures.

On another note, the new worker I hired is a 5 Star Retired Chef. He has been cooking some incredible dinners every night after we finish. So his Schedule is 7 Hours of building and 1 hour to cook.

More to Come...

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #123 of 3772 Old 10-09-2005, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
Umm...excuse me for asking, but is your helper being paid?

And can I borrow him next?

-Choots
post #124 of 3772 Old 10-12-2005, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choots View Post

Umm...excuse me for asking, but is your helper being paid?

And can I borrow him next?

-Choots

Yes he is being paid, but what I realized is that I am basically paying him to cook instead of work. I been doing most of the work myself and he's been doing the cooking.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #125 of 3772 Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Update...

Today I installed all The conduit for the Speakers and Snaked through all the 10 Gauge Speaker Wire for the 7 channels. Also Ran Conduit for the front Sub, Cat 5 and Coax Cable for the Xanatech Remote IR Eye. Also, Finished Building The Frames for under the Soffits and finished cutting My MDF for the Soffit fronts. Also Ran the 2" Conduit from the Equipment Rack to the Projector the other Day. All that's left for Speaker Cable runs is the 8 Cables running in the Platform for the But Kickers.

Wednesday (Today) we shall get the soffits assembled and run all the Romex that will run inside the Soffits and Columns for Lighting and Outlets. We can then (hopefully) begin stuffing the Soffits with the Cotton I got from BPape for the Bass Traps and pop the IC Rated 4" cans in the Soffits.

I will be running 3 lines into the theater. One Dedicated line will power my Sub and outlets in the Columns and Platform, The Second Dedicated Line will power my Lighting and the 3rd Dedicated line will power my Equipment Rack and Projector.

All and All, it's coming along well. I have a friend coming up on thursday that I am going to have help out, things should pick up then.

Pictures to come once the Soffits are completed.

Stay Tuned!

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #126 of 3772 Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Sounds great. Today I have to paint a bedroom where my wife "stores" her exercise equipment. She picked a "spa blue" Then back to the basement.

Sandman. We'd like to see a picture of a soffit before stuffing and after. We'd also like to know how much weight you are gaining with that new helper?
post #127 of 3772 Old 10-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Sandman, can I see a picture of the equipment rack framed. I'm looking to take out my stand and build a wall in the corner for my equipment.

Loganed - A long time ago.
My DVD Collection
My Build Thread - "under construction"
PSN: AtsymSknyfs
post #128 of 3772 Old 10-13-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknyfs View Post

Hey Sandman, can I see a picture of the equipment rack framed. I'm looking to take out my stand and build a wall in the corner for my equipment.

Basically my equipment Rack is a custom built Closet thats 21.5" Wide x 7' Tall and 30" deep built to spec to house a Mid-Atlantic Rack that Pulls out and Rotates. I'm using either this http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/srsr.htm or this http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsr.htm to rack my equipment.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #129 of 3772 Old 10-13-2005, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Sounds great. Today I have to paint a bedroom where my wife "stores" her exercise equipment. She picked a "spa blue" Then back to the basement.

Sandman. We'd like to see a picture of a soffit before stuffing and after. We'd also like to know how much weight you are gaining with that new helper?

No Problemo, But I think my worker/chef quit on me. He didn't show up today or yesterday. Well I'm happy my friend is coming down for a month or so and he is going to help me finish this up.

One of the toughest parts to come will be framing the ceiling out to support my starfield ceiling and ceiling treatments and Running all the Fibre Optics. I already have a few ideas on what to do. Basically the Dropped Ceiling Tiles will each be 4' x 4' x 1/4" Masonite/Wood Panels with holes drilled in them for the star fibers and wrapped with Black GoM. They will get tied to 2" x 2" framing on the drywall ceiling. If the seams are real noticable between the tiles, I may Opt for the Coffered Ceiling look.

As far as Dinners...
I Probably Gained a few pounds from them already, but I am sure I will work them off throughout finishing this Theater

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #130 of 3772 Old 10-13-2005, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Update,

I just got confirmation from the Trucking company that my chairs will be delivered tomorrow between 2pm - 7pm. I ordered the custom chairs from Leather Direct on Sept 13 and they are getting delivered to me tomorrow which is the 14th of October. So 1 Month waiting period to receive them which is great time in my book.

Now I'm really going to have allot of boxes in my great room now. Those boxes are probably going to take up allot of Space depending on how big they are. I ordered 7 Chairs with Wedge Arms.

Well now this gives me much more reason to get the Room finished quicker and Now I can finish up the Platform as well.

Back to work

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #131 of 3772 Old 10-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
BUMP

Ruben-
Updates/pics? -j
post #132 of 3772 Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Update,

I just got confirmation from the Trucking company that my chairs will be delivered tomorrow between 2pm - 7pm. I ordered the custom chairs from Leather Direct on Sept 13 and they are getting delivered to me tomorrow which is the 14th of October. So 1 Month waiting period to receive them which is great time in my book.

I think he may have fell to sleep in his new chairs.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #133 of 3772 Old 10-17-2005, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

He's resting up till his original helper comes back. Then they can get back to that breakneck pace they started with...

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #134 of 3772 Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM

Where's the Sandman ???
post #135 of 3772 Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

From my experience by the time you get all the chairs unpacked you have a literal mountain of cardboard and packing foam. I think in his rush he created a pile and that it fell on him trapping him like an avalanche. I'd say by now he has lost all the weight he gained from having that chef working at his house and someone should go over and help him get out from under the pile.
post #136 of 3772 Old 10-25-2005, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

ROTFL

I have it on good authority that all is well but he's working alone. Electrician was in last weekend and he was working on filling the soffits. I'm sure we'll see more pics coming soon.

GIK Acoustics

post #137 of 3772 Old 10-25-2005, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for keeping me On my toes and checking in. Sometimes it Seems like only 3 or 4 people are only watching this thread and I realize its allot more.

Well, Last Week I had a second 125 amp Service Panel Installed for the theater. I ran a Separate dedicated Phase with 2 20 amp Lines to the Equipment rack and one 20 Amp to the front of the Theater for the Sub and front Speakers. We also ran another Separate Phase with a 20 amp for the Lighting so the lighting isn't sharing the Same power for the Equipment (or isn't in the same phase as the equipment, I should say).

I opened up one of the Chairs, and all I can say is Absolutely Incredible. One of the very few things I ever bought blind that way Exceeded my expectations. I took pictures of everything but didn't have time to post them.

We got a lot more cleaning and Organizing done as well last week too.

We got the Soffits completed (without light Trays so far). We did not get the soffits filled yet because of the Hurricane that hit South Florida. My town (Boca Raton) got completely destroyed from it and lost all power. I left to Orlando to stay at a Hotel around Universal Studios until power is restored. South Florida has been declared a disaster area and has over 10 billion dollars in damage. Over 6 million people are without electricity the last I checked, I had to drive all the way up to Orlando before finding Electricity anywhere.

I live in a community which was beautiful until the hurricane completely destroyed it. Thank GOD my home Suffered minor damage (Lost 3 Outdoor Ceiling Fans totaling $1,200), Some Brick Tiles Off the Roof ($ Who Knows?) and Some Trees/bushes got ripped out and completely Destroyed (Couple thousand $$$). My home was built in 97 and is pretty hurricane proof considering. No windows got broke, even with massive wind Speeds hitting them directly.

I am checking everyday to see if power got restored in my area, until then, I am using this time as a vacation up here.

See you Shortly hopefully.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #138 of 3772 Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

We'll be thinking about you. Glad to hear that apparently you and your home came through relatively OK.

GIK Acoustics

post #139 of 3772 Old 10-26-2005, 07:25 AM

Sandman, good thing your house was well built. That must've been one heck of a wind to pull off brick roof tiles!

John
post #140 of 3772 Old 10-26-2005, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

We'll be thinking about you. Glad to hear that apparently you and your home came through relatively OK.

Thanks for your thoughts Bryan & John.

It looks like palm beach county which is my county) will be the slowest to get electric restored due to the massive Damage to local Lines and Sub Stations.

I will keep everyone updated.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #141 of 3772 Old 10-26-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Sandman,

My brother lives in Ft. Lauderdale and he is at our Cousin's house in Orlando. I didn't even realize that Hurricane was going to hit that area until I saw the news last night. Talked to my brother and he said it looked like a war zone.

Times like this makes a Dedicated Home Theater seem very trivial. But, things will get back to normal and you can rid the stress of other things by working on your room. Good luck.

Tony
post #142 of 3772 Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 PM

Good to hear from you Sandman my prayers goes out to You and the people of

Boca Raton.Glad to hear your home came threw without much damage.

KEEP THE FAITH!!!

DARKMAN
post #143 of 3772 Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your thoughts Darkman & Tony.

I found out last night that electricity will not be completely restored until November 22

I am going to have to look into getting a generator that can power my whole home, central Air and all. Does anyone here know about Generators and What's Good?

I was looking at a Generac Guadian Home Standby Generator that's 125 amp - 120/240 volt 15 kW.

Does anyone know if this will do the job?

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #144 of 3772 Old 10-27-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I checked with a buddy who has a generator and this is what he said:
Quote:
here's is the generator I bought from homedepot it runs on either natural gas or propane, so if he can't get either one then it will do him no good. I was told that you want 15000 kw system to run the house, it has the compacity to run twelve circuit total, so if his theater room is one circuit then he would have eleven more open circuits. it's all auto so when the power goes off the generator kicks on and visa vera it will go off. It also has a self check that you set the will turn the generator at that time every week to keep the battery charged. The tranfer box is not water proof so if he dosen't mount it inside then he needs to build a box around it to keep the water off it.

Here's my Guardian generator info
15000/13000 Watt Home Stand-by Generator
Model 04390
Internet/Catalog 168827
Store SKU # 209 241
$2,995.00

24/7 blackout protection whether you're home or away. Fully automatic home standby generator comes pre-packaged and pre-wired with an automatic transfer switch. Unit operates on either natural gas (13,000 watts) or LP gas (15,000 watts.) 30 HP OHVI Industrial engine with full pressure lubrication. Includes composite mounting pad for quick installation. DUE TO INCREASED DEMAND DURING HURRICANE SEASON, THIS PRODUCT MAY TAKE UP TO 14 DAYS TO SHIP AND UP TO 28 DAYS TO REACH YOUR HOME.THIS ITEM CANNOT BE RETURNED.

15000 watts (LP) / 13000 watts (NG)
Automatic blackout protection
Automatic transfer switch with built-in load center
UL Listed 2200
Includes: 30 ft., 5 ft. & 2 ft. pre-wired conduits, outdoor connection box, flexible fuel line and composite mounting pad
30 HP OHVI Industrial engine
THIS ITEM CANNOT BE RETURNED.
Generator

Scott

post #145 of 3772 Old 10-27-2005, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Note the part about hurricane season and delivery times...

Scott

post #146 of 3772 Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Note the part about hurricane season and delivery times...

That was real cool of you to get that info together for me, thank You very Much. Its real funny that this is the same Generator I was looking at, as you will see in my post above.

I was just about to buy it until Home Depot Said I Had to Buy a $5,000.00 Gas Tank and Put it underground Which means this $3k generator ends up costing $10k after that Tank and installation. Can You ask your friend if he had to Spend that much on a LP or Nat Gas Tank? I asked them how long a BBQ LP Propane tank would take to run out and they said 15 Minutes.

Also, I'm using the Generator to do my whole home when ever there is a blackout again, Central Air and all. It Is not just for the Theater, FLorida can get real Hot, and it isn't pretty being In a unAir Conditioned home for a week or 2 out here.

Thanks Again
Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #147 of 3772 Old 10-28-2005, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I was in Orlando two weeks ago for a week-long visit and it was hot and humid every day except for the Saturday we were leaving. In the hotel we were staying in, we had the A/C running 24/7.

My buddy lives in a rural area and has propane already. Since he is not in a development, but owns some acreage, he has an above-ground tank to supply the whole house. He was able to simply tap into this. Also, he said that to have the warrantee validated, you have to have the install signed off by a certified Gaurdian Technician. Another note, if you are in a sub-development, with neighbors nearby, you will have to remember that this is not a quiet unit. He said that if the power is out, it is running and if you want to turn it off at night or something, you have to physically flip the breaker so it won't run, otherwise, it runs non-stop.

As for powering the A/C, he doesn't know about that. He needs A/C where he lives, but they got it up and running after it was already cooling off, and then the power never went out before the A/C was not needed at all.

Scott

post #148 of 3772 Old 10-28-2005, 06:57 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sandman - Sorry to hear about your hurricane situation - you guys in Fla have taken a beating lately. Hopefully, your project (and the rest of your household) will be back up and running very soon.

BTW - I really LOVE your stage design. I hope you don't mind if I rip it off in my next room . Keep up the great work.
post #149 of 3772 Old 10-28-2005, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

BTW - I really LOVE your stage design. I hope you don't mind if I rip it off in my next room . Keep up the great work.

Wait? Another theater? Are you moving again?

Holy cow!

Scott

post #150 of 3772 Old 10-31-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Hi Everyone,

Well I finally got back home Today (Monday) after one week of switching from different hotels from Orlando to Miami. My electricity and Cable Modem is back up and online and I am excited to get our theater completed now. These are The pictures I took last week before the Hurricane that I couldn't Upload...

Here is an overhead Shot of the Room with all the Boxes and the open Chair on the Pool Table. Just to get an Idea how big those boxes are, that's a regulation / legal size pool table.

Here are some pictures of the Chair. It is Red Soft top grade Leather with Black MicroFabric. The pictures do not do any justice for the chairs. The Red Leather has a nice mix of shades and is a bit darker than what the pictures show. The microfabric looks real nice and velvety black. The chair in the picture has a regular arm on one side and a Wedge arm on the other to create the radius curve I designed my Platform to.

Soffits Pre Construction Shots. These are the Soffits without the Light trays. They will be stuffed with Cotton and will be left open on the bottom and covered with GoM.

In this picture below, you will notice the HVAC Duct Trunk is Encased in 3/4" MDF. This was done to help eliminate Bass from escaping from the room. Also we used 1" Duct board with a 90 degree turn to act as a muffler so sound does not travel through the duct work into the Home. We will also be using 4" x 36" linear grills to help reduce transmission of sound instead of a 12" x 18" Vent/Grill.

Here is the 125 Amp additional Service Panel I had Installed dedicated to the theater, part of the Wall above it and below still needs to be closed up. Cost to have this installed was $300.00 Labor and $225.00 in Parts. I have 2 20 Amp lines running to the Rack, one 20 amp line running to the Sub and outlets and the other 20 Amp Line powers the Lights on a Separate phase ...

I will get back to work shortly here and update you with some new pictures...

Keep Checking Back!

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page