Sandmans Home Theater Construction Begins! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The word is DirecTV is switching from MPEG2 to MPEG4 which has a much higher compression rate so they can get more HD channels into the same bandwidth. MPEG4 is NOT backwards compatible with MPEG2. So all the equipment will eventually have to be swapped out as MPEG2 is dropped.

I can see DirecTV now..."Yes well give you an upgraded receiver or HD recroder for free...for a 4 year commitment..." Man that would tick me off.

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Cable TV and Satellite, all a scam, selling you stuff you don't want to rape and pillage - hehehe

The storm was gone, but dark clouds still hung around
The perfect setting for things to come......

post #183 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well Last Night I got confirmation from the Workers that they will begin finishing the Theater on Monday (after ThanksGiving)

So I started making the Fiber Optic Star Panels for the Ceiling of the Theater. Each panel is 44.25" x 44.25" and we are Making 12 Panels to seamlessly cover the Ceiling.

Here are Some Pictures and Details...

We started with 1/4" Masonite Board (44.25" x 44.25") and Marked out a Grid with 11" x 11" Squares. This grid is to help place holes for Stars. You really dont want to do more than 4 holes per square Foot to keep it looking realistic. So I printed out a blown up version of the Alfa Centurie Galaxy and used that as Reference for Hole Placement for Stars.

Here you see the Grid and Black dots that represent star placement...

Here is the Fiber Optics we are using. They have 50 Fibers in one cable which will let us use 1 Cable per panel / 50 Stars per panel which adds up to 600 Stars between all 12 panels (if that made any sense

So we first drilled the holes for the Fibers in the Masonite using a 1/16 drill bit. Then we framed out each panel Stapling 1" x 2"s to the Back. Then sprayed #80 3M glue to the Masonite. Then Wrapped the Panel with Black GoM and Stapled the GoM to the Sides of the 1" x 2"s. We then fed each fiber through each hole having some stick out a little more than others to make some stars appear Brighter. The fibers stick out from 1/4" to 1/16" on the GoM side which is completely invisable when its up on the ceiling (exept for when the fibers are on). The fibers are secured in place with Hot Glue.

Here is an unframed Panel with fibers ran to it and GoM glued to the front. I did this one panel Backwards because I didn't have any 1" x 2"s here when I started.

Here is a completed stapled Panel, Just needs to be trimmed. The Air Stapler is the Fastest way to do these panels...

Here is the Back Panel Framed with 1" x 2"s and Wrapped with GoM.

I hooked up the fiber cable to a light box to show you how it looks in the daytime. You can see how some stars look bigger than others in the picture. The Stars also randomly twinkle due to a spinning wheel with holes in the light box. When you adjust the cable in the Light Box just right the stars look extremely authentic.

Here is a Night Shot...

Here is one of the light Boxes. We have 2 Light Boxes to run the 12 Panels

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #184 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Schweeeet.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #185 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 11:47 AM

Very Nice HT and so far very nice details on the fiber optic ceiling.

I've been this thread all along, waiting for this moment to ask you questions about "how to install fiber optic ceilings". With just a couple of pictures you posted really help my understanding of my limited knowledge in this area.

Just a couple more questions about fiber optic ceilings in general if you dont' mind answering.

1. Is the fiber optic ceilings done before putting up the drywall in ceiling or normally done afterwards?
2. Where are the light boxes normally located?
3. Do you have a more detail descriptions of how to do this that you could share so I won't ask you all these questions .
4. I noticed that you used 44"x44" area for doing fiber optic ceiling. Is the rest of the ceiling being painted black to match the gom covered fiber optic panels?

thanks,
jbhungvt
post #186 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhungvt View Post

1. Is the fiber optic ceilings done before putting up the drywall in ceiling or normally done afterwards?
2. Where are the light boxes normally located?
3. Do you have a more detail descriptions of how to do this that you could share so I won't ask you all these questions .
4. I noticed that you used 44"x44" area for doing fiber optic ceiling. Is the rest of the ceiling being painted black to match the gom covered fiber optic panels?
jbhungvt

Thanks,

1) We did 3 layers of 5/8's drywall on our ceiling with GG in between before adding these panels. So these panels are pretty much a drop ceiling that will drop about 2" from the Drywall ceiling. Some people have a crawl space or attic above them and can drill holes through their existing drywall ceilings instead of making panels like this.
We also used fabric on the ceiling panels because we are treating the ceiling reflection points and want the treatments to be seamlessly built into these panels.

2) The light boxes go Into 2 columns in my case (one in front of the theater and one in the rear). But they also can go into the surrounding soffit as long as you can access them to change a lightbulb and give them Air to breath.

3) I don't Know how much more detailed I can get. I thought with the details and pictures I posted it was detailed enough. If there is any other questions you have, feel free to ask.

4) The 44" x 44" Panels cover the entire Ceiling. You can look at My renders of my theater on a previous page of this thread for more details.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #187 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Glad to see you have gotten back to work on at least some part of your theater!

I have a friend who is not a member of the forum (still don't get that part) but is following this thread with much interest as he will be building a theater. He is signing papers today to switch from his construction loan to a standard home loan and will know how fast he can start working on the theater based on how much money they have left over (don't have a final number yet).

Scott

post #188 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 12:34 PM

thanks Ruben for the update/answers.

So I take it that if you don't have access to the ceiling above via attic etc, then the fiber ceiling is normally done after the ceiling drywall goes up.

I actually went back to revisit your render again, man that's beautiful. It's been awhile since I last look at it and forgot that it's this thread. Been through so many HT construction threads that I don't know whom belong to whom. The coffered/beamed ceiling looks cool but seems too complicated to do so my ceiling probably wouldn't be coffered/beamed.

The masonite board you use, is that normally available at HD or Lowes? I guess you could use some other boards besides the masonite?

So it's a drop ceiling of some kind to put up the fiber ceiling afterwards. Now why the 2" dropped? Is it because the mechanism to hold the masonite board is about 2"? I don't know how to install drop ceiling, so when you get to that stage and if you don't mind posting some pictures on how to do it would be really helpful.

thanks again.
post #189 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Thanks, we all had the jitters from the DIY withdrawl. Looks great can't wait to see all the panels in formation.
post #190 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I take it that if you don't have access to the ceiling above via attic etc, then the fiber ceiling is normally done after the ceiling drywall goes up.

Correct.

Quote:

The coffered/beamed ceiling looks cool but seems too complicated to do so my ceiling probably wouldn't be coffered/beamed.

I may not do the Coffered ceiling if the panels look real seamless like I want them to.

Quote:

The masonite board you use, is that normally available at HD or Lowes? I guess you could use some other boards besides the masonite?.

Its a common board at Lowes and Home Depot. I used it because it is the stiffest, straightest and Smoothest 1/4" board you can get. Its pretty much pegboard without the holes in it. You can use whatever you want, its all about what the builder wants to use an the results you end up with.

Quote:

So it's a drop ceiling of some kind to put up the fiber ceiling afterwards. Now why the 2" dropped? Is it because the mechanism to hold the masonite board is about 2"? I don't know how to install drop ceiling, so when you get to that stage and if you don't mind posting some pictures on how to do it would be really helpful.

We dropped it 2" because the Ceiling is getting 1"x2" furring Strips screwed in and the back of the Panels are getting 1"x2" framing. We will Staple Industrial Velcro to the back of the entire Panels Framing and Staple Velcro to the furring strips to hang them. We might Even use a hook and Ring sytem to hang them, depends on how the velcro proves.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #191 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Glad to see you have gotten back to work on at least some part of your theater!

I have a friend who is not a member of the forum (still don't get that part) but is following this thread with much interest as he will be building a theater. He is signing papers today to switch from his construction loan to a standard home loan and will know how fast he can start working on the theater based on how much money they have left over (don't have a final number yet).

Yeah, it cooled down a bit out here so I worked outside these past 2 days.

Hopefully my thread helps your friend out a bit, Like every other thread here has helped me Out. I really want to see this star ceiling in action, this thing is just too cool!

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #192 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

I also wanted to add to this about the Fiber Star Panels. We are going to be doing random shooting stars as well. They run off another LED device and a separate fibers as well.

I will post more pictures once I add those shooting stars.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #193 of 3772 Old 11-23-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

I also wanted to add to this about the Fiber Star Panels. We are going to be doing random shooting stars as well. They run off another LED device and a separate fibers as well.

I will post more pictures once I add those shooting stars.

Please do post lots of pictures.

Also, please post pictures of how you're attaching the fiber panels to the ceilings. I'll be interested how the panels turn out, i.e seamless or not.
post #194 of 3772 Old 11-24-2005, 06:54 PM

Can I ask... what program did you use to design your whole theatre?

Plus congrats on the acheivement so far, this is the sort of quality I want to build mine to...the best!

Also very detailed pitctures and explainations, iv been watching since not long after you started the post and can't wait to see the final result!

Well done!!

Lounge HT

Hitachi 42 Plasma
Panasonic DVD Recorder, DVB, VCR
Harman Kardon AVR230
Cyrus Rear Amp
Jamo D7 Sub
Monitor Audio; B4 Fronts, RS Centre,
RSFX Surround, S2 Surround Sides
post #195 of 3772 Old 11-25-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsmith2k View Post

Can I ask... what program did you use to design your whole theatre?

Plus congrats on the acheivement so far, this is the sort of quality I want to build mine to...the best!

Also very detailed pitctures and explainations, iv been watching since not long after you started the post and can't wait to see the final result!

Well done!!

Thanks!

I did the rough layout (first picture in this thread) with Photoshop doing everything to full scale. The Full color Renders you See 4 pages or so into my thread were done by Chirpie.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #196 of 3772 Old 11-27-2005, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

One more point on the whole DirecTV thing. It is my assumption (and only that at this time) that once the rollout of MPEG-4 is complete, they will use the additional bandwidth that was being used for the NYC and L.A. HD locals to add more of the other HD networks such as TNT, USA, Encore....

Once again, it is my assumption only and if it does happen as I am guessing, it will be a while since they have to do the full roll-out first.

Don't hold your breath for that to happen - the NY & LA locals will remain on MPEG2 (along with the MPEG4 feeds being added next month) for a while in order to service all the DNS customers nationally.

Sandman - Great job on the theater; even better job of documenting and giving us a great thread to follow.

Kudos.
post #197 of 3772 Old 11-29-2005, 11:48 AM

Awsome work...

I check this thead atleast twice a day for updates....
post #198 of 3772 Old 11-29-2005, 03:39 PM

Why not just subscribe to it so you receive an email whenever anyone posts on it !

Would save you a lot of looking!

Nice theatre btw, very impressive

It has been very useful trying to design my own, I must say I like the drywalling it makes it so easy to run cables etc etc, we in britain are obsessed with bricks though not so easy to thread cables through!

Lounge HT

Hitachi 42 Plasma
Panasonic DVD Recorder, DVB, VCR
Harman Kardon AVR230
Cyrus Rear Amp
Jamo D7 Sub
Monitor Audio; B4 Fronts, RS Centre,
RSFX Surround, S2 Surround Sides
post #199 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Here are some Updates...

Here is the method we used to run the fibers to the back of each panel. This method was much cleaner looking on the back (even though no one will ever see them).

Here is a Shot of the Front Light Tray. You can see the Star Panels Started going up. Also, Notice the Bass absorbtion in the Front Soffit. The Gap Between the Front Light Tray and Front Soffit is for the Automated Curtain Track (it is an 8" Gap).

Here is the Side Soffit (without Light Tray). Notice the bass absorbtion in there as well.

Here are 3 Panels up on the ceiling. Notice the Furring strips we used to hang them. 1"x 4"s and 1"x2"s. We used a Brad nailer to tack the Panels to the furring strips. The nails are completely invisable with the lights on. The panels are almost seamless with the lights on. They are completely seamless under Low light. You will also notice, we applied the GoM Fabric to the Side of the Soffit.

Side Shot

From back of the room (Work Lights on, Fibers Off)

Same Shot as above, From back of the room (Work Lights on, Fibers ON)

Same Shot as above, From back of the room (Work Lights OFF, Fibers ON)

Stay Tuned!

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #200 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Ruben,

Great job! Can't wait to see the end result. Where are you planning on putting the light boxes? I guess you're somewhat limited on the length of the fiber runs? How long are those runs?

Bud
post #201 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Ruben,

Great job! Can't wait to see the end result. Where are you planning on putting the light boxes? I guess you're somewhat limited on the length of the fiber runs? How long are those runs?

Bud

Thanks!

The Light Boxes Go in the top of the 2 side columns. The front Left Column has 1 light Box that controls 6 panels and the rear left Column has another light Box that controls the other 6 panels.

Wow I just noticed, This is My 201 post on AVS and its in the 201st Post in my thread. How wierd is that?

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #202 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Ruben,
I guess you're somewhat limited on the length of the fiber runs? How long are those runs?

Bud

The Cable runs range from 9 feet to 19 feet on each panel.

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #203 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM

those star panels are the coolest thing I have seen in a while Keep up the good work.

CD
post #204 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Ruben,

Great job on the star panel. I'm planning to do the same thing but have it a 3-4 inches from the ceiling with a glow above it. I can now SHOW my wife what it looks like. This should seal the WAF deal Thanks!!

Steve
post #205 of 3772 Old 12-01-2005, 07:13 PM

Great looking fiber ceiling.

I forgot to ask you something last time. Are you planning on putting recessed lighting in the ceiling? If not, how does the room look with a dark ceiling in the day time?

thanks
post #206 of 3772 Old 12-02-2005, 10:24 AM

Do you have an update to your HT project?
post #207 of 3772 Old 12-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I saw what you did in your home theater and was very impressed. What I like about fiber optics is the fact that they are visible when there is light in the room.

I own Night sky Murals and what I do needs a very dark room. I have even suggested that people do what you have done when I knew that their room wouldn't ever get dark enough to appreciate the murals that I paint.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I was impressed with your work.

Jeff Stewart
Night Sky Murals
The Best Universe on the Planet!

PS... I am going to attach a picture of a room that we did in a media room for anyone that is interested in seeing what we do too. It is a dark picture on some screens. If it is on your... try to lighten your screen. The only thing that it doesn't show in the picture is the Milky Way.
LL

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #208 of 3772 Old 12-02-2005, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, Jeff, how does your system work? Is is reflective paint or glo-in-the-dark paint?

Scott

post #209 of 3772 Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Looks nice. What does a mural cost for some thing like like a 9x12x9 ceiling? Also, hom much light is needed to "charge" the stars? HT rooms tend to be pretty dark, in fact, I just drywalled over the windows, so it won'd get hardly any light during the day, just pre-movie.

Bud
post #210 of 3772 Old 12-03-2005, 08:37 AM

Not sure I like your choice of colors(red/black), BUT I absolutely LOVE the way your HT is turning out! You have some really great ideas, and I will definatley use this thread when the construction starts on my new home. Thanks for sharing...keep up the great work!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page