$12,000 dedicated HT - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 210 Old 05-04-2006, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jon,
When you blow in the insulation does it "mat together" or just pile up on itself? Since the ceiling is already in I will be blowing blind, if you will, into the ceiling joices. The room is approximately 14 feet wide and I plan to cut holes toward the sides of the room to install my lights and use the same holes for the insulation. If I were installing the insulation in the wall, I would fill up the cavity until it got to the access hole. Do you think this material will
pack together enough to fill the ceiling if I only use the two side holes? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 210 Old 05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looks great! I love the swirl on the walls.
post #153 of 210 Old 05-05-2006, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by air2mag View Post

Jon,
When you blow in the insulation does it "mat together" or just pile up on itself? Since the ceiling is already in I will be blowing blind, if you will, into the ceiling joices. The room is approximately 14 feet wide and I plan to cut holes toward the sides of the room to install my lights and use the same holes for the insulation. If I were installing the insulation in the wall, I would fill up the cavity until it got to the access hole. Do you think this material will
pack together enough to fill the ceiling if I only use the two side holes? Thanks for the help!

It sort of sticks together, but it is very light so it does get pushed around by the force of the blowing. Once it piles up a bit though it will not move and since its not a wall you don't have gravity on your side filling it from bottom to top. To be safe I would cut a couple more holes strategically throughout the ceiling remembering to only have one hole open at a time. That will ensure a more even distribution. If you can angle the hose a bit to do a sort of 360 degree spray in each hole that would help as well. Sorry I took so long to answer, I've been working non stop in the room. Lots of fun stuff to post in the next two days. It will be 95% done by than.

post #154 of 210 Old 05-05-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook View Post

Looks great! I love the swirl on the walls.

Thanks....I am very happy with how it turned out. It was my wife's and her friend's inspiration really. The photos don't really do it justice either.

post #155 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I can honestly say that the room is 95+% done. Still to do:

Back row riser and seats (when $$$ permits)
HVAC tie in (2 weeks or so out)
Finish programing remote (Yammy 2600 is not easy)
Need to get pub table and stools
Place remaining acoustic panels (this week)
one more bass trap (have to figure out which corner)

Here is a little pictorial of this weekends progress...

Construction on 1" linacoustic wall treatment..

I have 4 of these to place.
Corner bass trap made of 4lb. rock wool. Column is 12"X22"X8.5'

Just adding this one trap made a nice difference in bass response. Much smoother and less "boomy" Still have to place one more somewhere.

My seats arrived on Friday just as the capet guy was finishing up. They are wonderful seats for the $$ and set up very easily.

Still gotta add the back row soon.
Also spent the good part of a day setting up my new drum kit...

I was worried about them rattling and causing issues during movies, but they don't at all. No issues. That is a huge relief.....
Some finished pics and screen shots to come.

post #156 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are some more finished pics with some pretty good screen shots IMHO..enjoy......

Here is one taken from the back/rt of the room....

Here is one of the front/rt

No flash...

I didn't pause the DVD so the screen shot is blurry.

Here are some screen shots.....

Black level is not too bad on the Panny...

There is still more to be done, but I feel I can do it now at a little more leisurely pace. All and all I am extremely happy with how it turned out and the "WOW factor" was in full force when I demo'd it. Even for me. The sound and picture are phenominal. There is no better way to watch a movie.

post #157 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Looking Sweet!

Do your equipment list stay the same as in post #1 and how far out are you with initial estimates?

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #158 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Looking Sweet!

Do your equipment list stay the same as in post #1 and how far out are you with initial estimates?

Thanks...here is what I origionally was going to go with and what I got is in red

PJ - Infocus SP 7200 (refurb w/ 4 yr warranty) - $2700 Panny 900u
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V2600 (if it doesn't suck) - $1100 ish got it
DVD - Yamaha DVD C950 - $350 Oppo DV971H
Speakers - Axiom Audio Epic 60 with Epicenter 500 Sub (6.1 set) - $3025 same but I went with the Epic 80's
HD DVR - DirecTV HDDVR - $599 no DVR yet, just HD sat.
Seats - ??? Nothing custom. 4 love seats lines 2 X 2 with 7" riser - ??? row of 3 Coasters in black leather. Back row to come.cables - $350
Screan - Goo - $150

post #159 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How are you liking the Axioms?

Did you use the Qs8s for the side and rear surround?

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #160 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I LOVE the Axioms!!! I went with the QS8's (4 of them) for surround. I got them from the Axiom Outlet so they were 10% off and than another 5% for 5 or more speakers so the savings was very good. I can't believe how great they sound in my room. Way above my expectations.

post #161 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandawil View Post

I LOVE the Axioms!!! I went with the QS8's (4 of them) for surround. I got them from the Axiom Outlet so they were 10% off and than another 5% for 5 or more speakers so the savings was very good. I can't believe how great they sound in my room. Way above my expectations.

I'm contemplating Axioms for sides and rears myself. It seems most people suggest direct firing for the rears to get better stereo separation. Did you contemplate that and/or audition other speakers?

Ron
post #162 of 210 Old 05-08-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turt View Post

I'm contemplating Axioms for sides and rears myself. It seems most people suggest direct firing for the rears to get better stereo separation. Did you contemplate that and/or audition other speakers?

No and no. I have used direct firing rear surrounds before and have heard the di-poles and preferred them. I did consider Klipsch as well as PSB, but after reading the reviews from the Axioms (especially the QS8's) I decided to audition them. I would recommend them to anyone for sides and rears.

post #163 of 210 Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 PM

HT looks fantastic! Just read through the thread from start to finish and I was pleased to see you were completed. I have started many other construction threads and when i get to the last posts discover that they are not completed yet. Also great to see a HT that didn't cost the owner $30k+ lol

Enjoy it!!

PS Online Tag
Drizznay
post #164 of 210 Old 05-14-2006, 05:28 PM

Read the whole thread and I got to say that I really like the attitude presented in your project. Its a pleasure to see that one can do so great a job with reasonable money. Great HT!
post #165 of 210 Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Awesome theater! I have been following this thread closely since this is close to the type of theater I want to design (especially budget-wise) in the near future.

I hope you don't mind a couple of newbie questions. In the front front of your theater it looks like you have your equipment rack to the far left, then a black space that is angled towards the seats which I assume is the speaker grilles, then your screen followed by a black space to the right of the screen. Where did you put the front bass traps? Were they placed behind the speakers in front of the acoustic liner?

Where and how are you going to place your surround speakers? I must have missed that. Will they be enclosed in a column or in-wall?

Will you simply hang the acoustic liner panels on the wall or will they be screwed into studs?

Thanks again and great job!!
post #166 of 210 Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttu View Post

Read the whole thread and I got to say that I really like the attitude presented in your project. Its a pleasure to see that one can do so great a job with reasonable money. Great HT!

Thanks guys for the kind words. That was definitely my goal. To create a HT with the "Wow Factor" without breaking the bank. I feel I have achieved that and more. I have sat in numerous expensive boutique type theater showrooms and enjoy mine just as much. Actually more because I don't have to worry about a snooty sales person kicking me out

post #167 of 210 Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_junky View Post

Awesome theater! I have been following this thread closely since this is close to the type of theater I want to design (especially budget-wise) in the near future.

I hope you don't mind a couple of newbie questions. In the front front of your theater it looks like you have your equipment rack to the far left, then a black space that is angled towards the seats which I assume is the speaker grilles, then your screen followed by a black space to the right of the screen. Where did you put the front bass traps? Were they placed behind the speakers in front of the acoustic liner?

Where and how are you going to place your surround speakers? I must have missed that. Will they be enclosed in a column or in-wall?

Will you simply hang the acoustic liner panels on the wall or will they be screwed into studs?

Thanks again and great job!!

Thanks. The bass trap is behind the far right speaker grill column. That would be just right of the Rt. front speaker. It is in a space 14" X 22". I only have the one and am currently working out where to place the second. I have been on vacation the past few days so I'll re-address that in the coming days. You are correct in assuming the grills to the immediate left and right of the screen have my speakers behind them. I'll try to post some pictures with grills off this week if I have a chance to work behind there.
My surrounds are wall mounted and you can see them in a couple of the photos (like the drum set one). I did not want to encroach on the available space with columns. I have not hung my panels yet. I am waiting to build my rear row riser (some time in the next two weeks) and than see where the seating will go so I know where to hang them. I was going to use some DW anchors and place 4 screws in each and I have black screw caps that will make it look finished. They are very light so they won't require studs. I had the ones on the doors hung with velcro, but they fall off sometimes so I am looking for a better solution to hang them on steel doors. Anyone have any ideas on that???

post #168 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 PM

Very nice Jon...after reading your post on the "goo" screen in response to my post, I read through your intire process and I'm really impressed. I think I'm going to ask my builder to double layer the sheetrock in our soon-to-be built home for the media room. Obviously I can't have them build it completely out but it's good to know there are many people out there that have done it themselves and can give advice.

I'm not 100% sure I want to go the way of the "goo" screen just yet, seeing as how it would have to be on the opposite wall, or the back of my room...I dunno.
post #169 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I had the ones on the doors hung with velcro, but they fall off sometimes so I am looking for a better solution to hang them on steel doors. Anyone have any ideas on that???

What about a couple of strong magnets or industrial adhesive??? At least you would not have to drill a hole in your steel door.
post #170 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 PM

I've read in several threads of people using industrial velcro. Seems to hold quite a bit of weight very solidly. I believe SandmanX used some in his theater.
post #171 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektern View Post

I've read in several threads of people using industrial velcro. Seems to hold quite a bit of weight very solidly. I believe SandmanX used some in his theater.

A couple of good ideas there. Where would one find industrial velcro? Industrial adhesive also could be a possibility. Thanks guys.

post #172 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMEH View Post

Very nice Jon...after reading your post on the "goo" screen in response to my post, I read through your intire process and I'm really impressed. I think I'm going to ask my builder to double layer the sheetrock in our soon-to-be built home for the media room. Obviously I can't have them build it completely out but it's good to know there are many people out there that have done it themselves and can give advice.

I'm not 100% sure I want to go the way of the "goo" screen just yet, seeing as how it would have to be on the opposite wall, or the back of my room...I dunno.

Thanks... Are you going to use Green Glue in between?? That would greatlly help for sound isolation purposes.

post #173 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Liked: 13
You can find industrial strength velcro at both Home Depot and Lowes. I used it in my theater and when I had to take a piece off the wall, it pulled the paper right off the drywall.

Very strong stuff.

-Gary.
post #174 of 210 Old 05-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Great job with the HT. I love the color of the walls..I did a similar faux finish on mine as well with similar colors (just a tad bit darker).

Once again...great job and enjoy watching movies! I'm sure you'll love it.
post #175 of 210 Old 05-18-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Asem. Your theater looks great!! You gave me a great idea also with your corner columns for your speakers. I'm going to steal it and that will be my solution for my bass traps in the back corners. Very nice finished look. You'll really like that Goo screen even more after a couple weeks. I think it's a great combo with the Panny. Nice choice on your sub as well. I have the Klipsch KSW12 in my living room with a Klipsch 5.1 setup. Great sub for the money.

post #176 of 210 Old 05-19-2006, 09:16 AM

Jon, not sure about using the green glue yet. Hell I don't know if the builders are going to be willing to double up the sheetrock for me yet.
post #177 of 210 Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMEH View Post

Jon, not sure about using the green glue yet. Hell I don't know if the builders are going to be willing to double up the sheetrock for me yet.

I hear ya. Some builders don't do "out of the box" stuff. You could always have them do the first layer, than you can do GG and the second layer, and than have them do the finishing which is the hardest part of all of it. Just a thought, although if they are doing your entire house that may be difficult.

post #178 of 210 Old 05-20-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Jon,

Nice job on the theater. I'm jealous you are enjoying yours NOW. The wife is bugging me daily to get mine done. Planning to work on it all day tomorrow.
post #179 of 210 Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Jon,

Nice job on the theater. I'm jealous you are enjoying yours NOW. The wife is bugging me daily to get mine done. Planning to work on it all day tomorrow.

Thanks Steve. I am enjoying it a lot, maybe too much. There is still some work to be done and I am too busy watching movies. Mostly finishing details but that makes a lot of difference. Also will build the riser next pay day and than save the $$ for seating. At least with the riser in I can just set up chairs and have 6-8 view comfortably. HVAC guy is coming in this week to pump in our central swamp cooling so that will be nice. It gets warm in there all closed up. I am looking forward to seeing yours when it is done.

post #180 of 210 Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are some more finished pics with some pretty good screen shots IMHO..enjoy......

Here is one taken from the back/rt of the room....

Jon,

Had a few questions about your faux finish on your wall if you don't mind.

1) Looks like you did a bright yellow with a reddish orange top coat. Is the top coat mixed in with a glaze or just regular paint?

2) If you did the glaze option, does it seem really shiny?

3) If you did the plain paint option, what sheen did you use for the top and bottom coat?

4) The colors you picked look great but was wondering if the brighter nature of the colors reflect light back on the screen (effecting the blacks and color depth)?

5) Does any reflection you get off the wall when viewing a movie distract you (at your seat) in any way?

I'm asking all these questions as we are thinking about doing a faux finish in our room. To make the faux finish work well, I must use a glaze. The glaze adds quite a bit of shine. If we decide not to do the faux finish and just paint the walls a solid color, the paint color is more of a medium intensity and was worried about light reflection.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page