Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Jon,

Had a few questions about your faux finish on your wall if you don't mind.

1) Looks like you did a bright yellow with a reddish orange top coat. Is the top coat mixed in with a glaze or just regular paint?

2) If you did the glaze option, does it seem really shiny?

3) If you did the plain paint option, what sheen did you use for the top and bottom coat?

4) The colors you picked look great but was wondering if the brighter nature of the colors reflect light back on the screen (effecting the blacks and color depth)?

5) Does any reflection you get off the wall when viewing a movie distract you (at your seat) in any way?

I'm asking all these questions as we are thinking about doing a faux finish in our room. To make the faux finish work well, I must use a glaze. The glaze adds quite a bit of shine. If we decide not to do the faux finish and just paint the walls a solid color, the paint color is more of a medium intensity and was worried about light reflection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Steve:

1) Looks like you did a bright yellow with a reddish orange top coat. Is the top coat mixed in with a glaze or just regular paint? - I rolled a beige bass coat and than "ragged" on a pumpkin colored middle coat and than mixed the rust with faux glaze and ragged it on as well. It took some experimentation. If I had to do it over again I would have skipped the beige, rolled the pumpkin and than ragged the rust. Ideally the rust was supposed to be rolled on and be transparent enough for the middle coat to show through, but I think we got the ratios wrong on the glaze so while wiping it off we liked the look and went with it.

2) If you did the glaze option, does it seem really shiny? - Not at all

3) If you did the plain paint option, what sheen did you use for the top and bottom coat? - They were all flat.

4) The colors you picked look great but was wondering if the brighter nature of the colors reflect light back on the screen (effecting the blacks and color depth)? Thanks. I don't feel it's bright at all but you could go darker and be OK. I don't notice any reflections and the black ceiling and black front wall make for a really dark movie experience where the screen disappears in a sea of black which is what I was going for. Even with a good amount of ambient light it has a dark appearance near the screen. There are occasions where I may want it fairly bright thus the medium dark colors on the wall. The flash from the photos really make it look much lighter than it actually is. Look at some of the no flash photos for a more accurate idea.

5) Does any reflection you get off the wall when viewing a movie distract you (at your seat) in any way? - I don't notice any reflections.

Basically if my room was for pure HT and nothing else I would have gone slightly darker. I am very pleased with it now though and everyone who sees it loves it. I also use it for drumming and if I have friends over to play a little music I like the lights up. When my back seating is in (hopefully this weekend) I'll hang my acoustic panels which are black and it will darken the room up a little as well. I also need to get some decorative stuff on the walls like movie pictures, DTS/THX swag, and that will spice it up some as well. I am enjoying watching your room come together. Keep it up. You'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor before you know it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 210 Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jon. One the glaze, did you get the rust color pre-mixed in with the glaze or did you mix it yourself? If you did, what brand glaze did you use? We were looking at the Ralph Lauren and it does have a pretty good shine to it even when dry. I also tried it with a flat paint for the base.
post #183 of 210 Old 06-08-2006, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Jon. One the glaze, did you get the rust color pre-mixed in with the glaze or did you mix it yourself? If you did, what brand glaze did you use? We were looking at the Ralph Lauren and it does have a pretty good shine to it even when dry. I also tried it with a flat paint for the base.

hmmm...I still have the can at home, but I can't remember the name. We mixed it ourselves. I can check and get back to you. They all look pretty shinny in the can.

post #184 of 210 Old 06-08-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandawil View Post

hmmm...I still have the can at home, but I can't remember the name. We mixed it ourselves. I can check and get back to you. They all look pretty shinny in the can.

Thanks for looking. Also, do you remember the ratio of glaze to paint?
post #185 of 210 Old 06-08-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for looking. Also, do you remember the ratio of glaze to paint?

It should be 50/50 for a glaze look if I remember correctly. My wife's friend mixed it and it was probably more like 2/3 paint and 1/3 glaze which is why it was not transparent. I dare say the glaze would not be necessary accept it made it smooth and easier to wipe off for the desired look we wanted. Again, the whole thing turned out like it did accidentally.

post #186 of 210 Old 06-12-2006, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It should be 50/50 for a glaze look if I remember correctly. My wife's friend mixed it and it was probably more like 2/3 paint and 1/3 glaze which is why it was not transparent. I dare say the glaze would not be necessary accept it made it smooth and easier to wipe off for the desired look we wanted. Again, the whole thing turned out like it did accidentally.

Thanks Jon. We ultimately decided to go with a solid color. We tried different faux techniques, colors, etc for 4 eves and finally decided on our colors. The painters are here today texturing the walls and will paint tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve
post #187 of 210 Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After a few weeks of sitting around and watching movies, I build my riser over the weekend and got the top covered with carpet. I still have to finish the carpet and clean it up but I am happy with how it turned out. It's 9.5 feet wide by 5' deep. It's 10 3/4" high with 2X10 construction and 3/4 plywood. Very solid feeling. I'll post pictures tonight after the carpet id finished. Just thought I'd post since it's bee a while.

post #188 of 210 Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Jon,

I just finished reading your thread. The theatre looks great!

I've been through SandmanX's and Mr. Ps construction thread, which are both amazing, but yours has been the most helpful as it more reasonably fits into my (and probably most others') HT budget.

Just wondering if you had new pics of your riser and carpeting that you could post. Have you considered transducers for the riser?

Currently looking for high quality anamorphic lens, PM me if you have one or a lead!

post #189 of 210 Old 08-09-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTORHT View Post

Jon,

I just finished reading your thread. The theatre looks great!

I've been through SandmanX's and Mr. Ps construction thread, which are both amazing, but yours has been the most helpful as it more reasonably fits into my (and probably most others') HT budget.

Just wondering if you had new pics of your riser and carpeting that you could post. Have you considered transducers for the riser?

Thanks for the kind words. Those other 2 threads are great for motivation as they are beautiful theaters, but have little use in reality for my (our) budgets. I'm glad it was helpful to you. I actually just finished carpeting the sides of the riser last night. Only the top was carpeted prior to that. I've been pretty busy. I will post some updated pics this weekend as I am heading out of town tonight until Friday. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll answer them the best I can.

post #190 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well after much delay I finally finished and carpeted my riser for the back row. I was in no hurry since I don't have seats yet, but now at least I can bring some in from the living room if we do a movie night and everyone can see. Here are a couple of pics:

Notice the velcro strips on the wall...they did not hold my acoustic panels so I need to go another route. The industrial velcro holds fine, but the adhesive will not stick to the panels after time.

When money permits (like it ever does ) I will complete the seating with a nice leather sofa.

post #191 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
can you forget the adhesive on the velcro, and use brads or staples to attach the velcro to the walls or panels?

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #192 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

can you forget the adhesive on the velcro, and use brads or staples to attach the velcro to the walls or panels?

That's actually a great idea. I should be able to find a stud to attach it to the wall and than staple it to the panels. I can make that work I think. Thanks for the suggestion.

post #193 of 210 Old 09-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Use these to attach acoustic panels to walls. Super easy to do and they're solid as a rock:

http://www.rotofast.com/
post #194 of 210 Old 02-10-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey everyone, It's been a while since my last post. I finally got a black leather sofa for my rear row of seating after having the riser sitting there empty for 6 months. I can now seat 6 comfortably and I like the look of it. Here is a pic of it now:

There is still some work I want to do like some nicer looking fabric frames on the walls for my acoustic treatment but that will be in a couple months or so. As of now we are still enjoying the heck out of it and now I don't have to drag chairs in there when we have guests over.

post #195 of 210 Old 02-10-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks very nice. Congrats Jon, looks like all your hard work paid off. Enjoy!!

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #196 of 210 Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 PM

I love the colors of the walls. Looks Great!
post #197 of 210 Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Or use RotoFast connectors. Small, strong and unobtrusive.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #198 of 210 Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

God I wish I would've known about these when I did my door section.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #199 of 210 Old 02-11-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Thanks for the kind words guys. Actually I am going to redo my panels. They just look functional only and don't look that great. I think I am going to copy another person I saw and get some nice picture frames or art frames and use those with some nicer fabric to make decorative frames to place over the linacoustic. I am not quite sure how to do that and am not sure if there are frames deep enough to place 1" thick material behind. If anyone knows of anything I am open to suggestions.

post #200 of 210 Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM

Jon, (or anyone that's used a faux finish before)

Here's a question regarding the faux finish you applied to your walls. How do you repair nicks and gouges in the wall without it looking like a repair. It seems to me than any repair to a faux finish would be obvious. I want to do something similar to my walls like what you've done, but I'm hesitating due to this question. Any insight??
post #201 of 210 Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Accoustic treatments cover up things very nicely
post #202 of 210 Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharerware View Post

Jon, (or anyone that's used a faux finish before)

Here's a question regarding the faux finish you applied to your walls. How do you repair nicks and gouges in the wall without it looking like a repair. It seems to me than any repair to a faux finish would be obvious. I want to do something similar to my walls like what you've done, but I'm hesitating due to this question. Any insight??

I actually have had to repair some after pealing adhesive tape off my walls. I saved some of the top coat with the faux glaze mixed in and I just ragged it on. It blended very nicely. If there was a lot of white exposed I would probably rag on some of the bottom coat which is a sort of pumpkin color and than rag on the top coat after it dries.

post #203 of 210 Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I actually have had to repair some after pealing adhesive tape off my walls. I saved some of the top coat with the faux glaze mixed in and I just ragged it on. It blended very nicely. If there was a lot of white exposed I would probably rag on some of the bottom coat which is a sort of pumpkin color and than rag on the top coat after it dries.

As long as you save paint from all faux finish stages you should be able to blend and repair areas. The few times I've done it only I knew where the hole use to be. But be warned, it's not easy. I often had to redo the area a couple of times before I got it to look right. Because of this I wouldn't recommend doing faux finishes in any really high traffic areas if you are particularly anal.

post #204 of 210 Old 09-14-2007, 10:25 AM

So cool!
post #205 of 210 Old 09-14-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks appreciate that. It's been a while since this thread has come up. I'm actually starting HT 2.0 next month. Mostly just a face lift with some additional acoustic treatment. I'm going to paint my trim and doors semi-gloss black and also do a chair rail 4' high in black. I'm also going to paint the lower half of the walls flat black and than hang some Ready Acoustic pannels in black against the black wall so they don't stick out. I've never liked the look of the black panels on my regular painted wall. Hopefully it won't look like too much black and I'll still have enough color on the walls to make it not look like too much of a cave. If it's too much black than I'll still do the trim and doors in black, but I'll skip painting the walls and just hope it looks good. We'll see. If anyone out there has seen a setup like this and can direct me too some pictures I'd appreciate that. Thanks....

post #206 of 210 Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Your theater looks nice Jon !
I have had a little experience with black trim. I love the look and love the black panels on top of a regular base color. That is basically what I did in my Den to theater conversion.But the green I used has kind of a black cast to it so it works well with black.

My only hard learned recommendation is use at least mat or semi gloss paint. I used flat on my doors and they show all of the hand prints. Great looking theater and good luck to you. Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
post #207 of 210 Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks...Will do on the semi-gloss for the trim and doors. Thanks for the heads up. I followed your den project and it's very nice. I went back for a second look and for some reason there are no pictures any more....strange.

post #208 of 210 Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Jon,

Just read through your entire thread. Simply put... Great job!!! How is HT 2.0 going? Any more pics?

My Basement Theater/Rec Room
"I don't have some way to put it...that's the way it is."
post #209 of 210 Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frorule View Post

Jon,

Just read through your entire thread. Simply put... Great job!!! How is HT 2.0 going? Any more pics?

Thanks!! HT 2.0 is a slow process. So far I have added the Toshiba HD-A1 for a very low price and also the PS3 40GB. Two very cool additions, but nothing picture worthy. I'm hoping Uncle Sam will be good to me this tax season and I can work on the acoustic panels for for the sides and possibly a new paint scheme. I have started back in school full time in the evenings to finally finish my BS (nothing like the good ol' 20 yr plan....) so that is sucking away two nights a week so I have to try to balance everything now.

post #210 of 210 Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey everyone. I finally took the plunge thanks to a very nice bonus this year and upgraded my living room HT from an old 36" CRT to a new Samsung 61" (HL-T6176S). I absolutely love it. Naturally I had to get a new entertainment center to put it in.

Before:

After:

Needless to say I love the new set and DirecTV set up the HD-DVR last night so I'm all set. BTW...the two pairs of speakers were when I got my Axioms and was testing them out. They are in the HT now.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page