Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Okay, I've debated starting this thread now because 1) its still early and my real work on the new room won't start for another month and 2) I cower at the thought of competing with Sandmanx's awesome work .

But, I've decided to go ahead and get this out here because I've gotten so many great ideas from you guys that someone might point something out I haven't thought of and I can correct/incorporate it all that much sooner.

So, here goes. Third times a charm. The new room will be The Farm House Cinema (our new house is a farm style).

I'm using a photo album to track progress and post pictures but will also post items and thoughts in here. The main album page can be accessed here:

http://ebrcinema.myphotoalbum.com/

I will break up the project into different phases and create albums for each phase. Right now, there is:

Design and Framing

But both of those (and the subsequent phases) are accessible from the main link above and in my signature.

Here's a taste of what the new room will look like (thanks Reaper):

The following post will be my current thoughts on the equipment that will go in the new room.

Thanks for all the help both past and future - here we go again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Okay, so here's the current thinking on what's going in the room:

Amps etc.

Bringing my Lexicon and QSC amps from the last two rooms
Still keeping my Pio Elite 301 disk DVD changer (but will add blu-ray when avail)
Audio Processor will probably be a high end receiver that I use as just a pre-pro
Video processing - I still have my Faroudja but this will probably be supplanted by my new projector

Speakers

Front L/R - Ascend 340SE
Center - Rocket "bigfoot"
Surrounds - Axiom QS8 (4)
Sub - SVS PB12+/2

Projector

Leaning very hard towards a Ruby. Looks to me like just what I've been waiting for to make the leap to digital. It will be a while before I purchase, though so we'll see what else comes out in the meantime.

Screen

My design pretty much needs an acoustically transparent screen this time (due to a notch in the front wall of the room). Planning on making one with Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth.

Lighting

A bunch of the 2" recessed low voltage halogen cans Now have mostly 4" recessed cans and four sconces on the wall, rope light and step lights like before. All controlled with Lutron Grafik Eye 3106.

Seating

Thinking probably Berkline 088s this time. A little smaller than the 090s I had but look pretty comfy. The smaller size will allow seating for 8 instead of 6 and the lower back height should be better for surround.

That's it for now.
post #3 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dude, you are crazy!

You gotta learn to stay put and be happy with what you have! I don't know what the rest of the house has looked like on both of the previous two theaters, but I hope this was a move up instead of lateral, since that would mean just starting over on the theater to get the same kind of house....

Good luck, and I will be following this thread and Sandman's too!

Scott

post #4 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Interesting to see al the framing details of the room with in a room.

Since this is your third theater, what are some of the things you are fixing this time?
post #5 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Nice plan and design once again.

It's kind of funny that when I first stumbled upon AVS your HT was one of the first I saw, and modeled my early designs around your first room. That was nearly four years ago, you're on your third theater and I'm barely finishing up mine!

I've changed my design several times during the process, and now it looks nothing like your original theater. That being said, if the renderings you've posted are reflective of the final design (color, trim, etc.) then we'll end up with very similar rooms after all.

Best of luck and I look forward to following your progress.
post #6 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments so far.

Greg - Hmmm...what am I fixing....? Well, I dunno that I'm fixing all that much but doing a few things differently. A lot of it is due to the fact this one is in the basement and just changing the look to fit with the house (again).

I didn't have full "room w/in room" before because the room was on the second floor bordering attic space.

I will have a more traditional two color wall this time because the basement area outside the theater will have a wood v-groove wainscot painted green.

I am going to go even farther toward trying to get the acoustics right this time by trying to get the equipment in there before (at least some of) the treatments and take measurments and try things out.

I will be trying out bass trapping this time because I love good clean bottom end (no snide comments from the peanut gallery, please ). I'm going to have what I think will be a Kick A$$ sub this time (ooh, I forgot that up above - gotta add speakers) so want to be sure I have things tamed in the bass region.

I hope to not have a 200lb beast to hoist up on the ceiling.

That's all I can think of at the moment...
post #7 of 630 Old 01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Oh my god.

You've certainly raised the bar on HT serial construction!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing it take shape.

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

Check out a video of my theater here

post #8 of 630 Old 01-16-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Very minor progress today. Conduit for projector wiring in place.

Now, if I can just get the HVAC guy and electrician in there I can start pulling all the low-voltage wires...
post #9 of 630 Old 01-17-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to your progress. Question. What is that framed out area in the back of the room with no door? Looks like a great place for the equipment rack, but I notice its on the side wall. What other room shares the wall with the equipment rack? Curious how you plan to get to the back of it.

http://ebrcinema.myphotoalbum.com/vi...ter_layout_jpg

Bud
post #10 of 630 Old 01-17-2006, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

That layout picture is slightly inaccurate because the program I used to draw it had to have a rectangular box for the outside perimiter of the room. Actually, that area that looks like a room with no door is a notch in the room. On the other side is a wet bar for the basement rec area just outside the theater.

That shared wall is a 2x4 wall inside of a double 2x6 wall. The side wall where the equipment rack and room actually are is only shared with a basement storage area so it is just single wall construction.

There is a door to the equipment room from outside the theater for accessing the back of the equipment. This room will also be where all my wiring for the house comes in.

Make sense?
post #11 of 630 Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, got it. Good luck with it. We'll be watching!

Bud
post #12 of 630 Old 01-17-2006, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

I had to change my lighting plan. Turns out the 2" cans I got (and thought I found such a great deal on) have electronic transformers in them. Rats. GE would require an interface for each zone with those lights (would be 3). Even at eBay prices, that's too much more money to throw at these lights so I've switched them out.

Bought Halo air tight 4" cans and will put them in instead of the 2" MR16 versions. Hopefully, with halogen PAR20s they will still give the effect and lighting that I want.
post #13 of 630 Old 02-02-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Very slow progress on the house construction front. But, I did get my recessed cans in and they finally framed my equipment rack opening properly (why does everything have to be done twice before its done right...?).

Hopefully, the electrician will be done tomorrow and I can start running my wiring.
post #14 of 630 Old 02-05-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Completed my cabling for the room today. Electrician finally finshed his stuff (well, almost) and I am going on vacation on Tue and they plan to insulate while I'm gone. So had to get it all done today. Manged to get it run and made it home for kickoff.

My current delimma is this return:

Worried, of course, it will completely negate all the isolation I've gone to so much trouble to acheive. I will line it with linacoustic and then I asked a question in the GG thread about maybe putting a sandwich of acoustic tiles and GG on the top of it to make it not be just a thin layer of sheet metal.

Any thoughts from you guys on this are appreciated too.

P.S. This return serves only this room - the ducts don't connect to any other part of the house - I'm just worried about the metal box itself not stopping sound getting up into the ceiling cavity.
post #15 of 630 Old 02-15-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

A couple of minor updates.

I did the Acoustic Tile GG sandwich thing (used 3 tiles with GG between) and stuck it to the top of that return. It made a large difference in the sound when I thump on the return side. It went from "Pingggggg" to "thud". So, I think that's good.

Also, while waiting for them to insulate and then hang drywall, I ordered a yard of a couple of fabric colors I'm considering and then mocked up some frames to put them together in an almost full-sized wall for figuring out which way to go. I still have a couple other fabrics on the way, But I think this is the way I'm going to go:

These are different colors than I had thought I was going to use. This is a darker green on the bottom and the same color I had in my last room on the top. I like the darker green a lot better than the other one but it is a different texture than the upper fabric. I wanted to see an almost full sized mockup to see if that was going to be a problem. Now that I've done that, I don't think it will be.

Also, it looks darker than this in real life - the flash really lights it up unnaturally.
post #16 of 630 Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, the bottom one looks actually black here on my PC. The top looks like a light grey. Maybe my eyes are going. Is that the stain you're going with? I'm looking at them now. What is it? My wife likes the Minwax Rosewood. It's not bad, but haven't settled yet.

Bud
post #17 of 630 Old 02-15-2006, 07:30 PM

dark green would be nice - they say "geniuses" choose dark/forest greens
post #18 of 630 Old 02-17-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the colors don't reproduce well at all with the flash. On my best monitor you can tell its green but the other two make it look almost black.

The stain is a "chestnut" on select grade pine. Its made by poloplaz which only sells through contractors. I'm going to have to get it through my builder. I tried all the minwax ones and they don't look as good as this one.
post #19 of 630 Old 02-21-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Just a quick update. They insulated today. Progress...albeit slow.
post #20 of 630 Old 02-21-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Slow progress is still progress!

Scott

post #21 of 630 Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Sheetrock!

Just a little more taping and floating and we'll be ready for the real work to begin...

Today, I started building the steps for the riser. Not glamorous, but its something .

I started a new album on my site to track the interior construction. It can be reached through the link in my sig.
post #22 of 630 Old 03-01-2006, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Here's a real good look at what I've done for sound isolation. This is the only wall shared by another room.

Double studs, two layers of rock and GG between.

The ceiling is also completely separate from the floor system above. True "room within a room".
post #23 of 630 Old 03-04-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Finished the steps today. Not real exciting, but more progress.

Caulk on the bottom of step framing, insulation inside, liquid nails and roofing felt under the top.

post #24 of 630 Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Okay, made some good progress the past week.

First order of real business is fixing the symmetry of the front of the room. I had to have a weird "bump" in one side of my front wall in order to get the width and depth of the room that I wanted (it follows the foundation). When Bryan (Pape who is helping me with acoustic design this time) saw that he about had a heart attack . So, we are building a mirrored bump out on the other side.

So, since we have to build this thing Bryan decided lets take advantage of it and do something useful with it. So, we're turning the front part of it into a sealed panel absorber to help tame some of the bass down under 70hz.

First just frame it out normally:

Then the inside of the front wall is covered with 3/4" MDF (man what a pain to work with...):

and sealed air tight with caulk:

both sides to be sure:

Then I filled the inside cavity corner with some R-19 being sure to cover the ceiling and wall for tri-corner coverage (I put the ceiling treatment up after this pic):

Not sure if that's gonna do much inside of this walled off space, but it can't hurt.

Then fill the joist cavities in the side wall with R-19:

And cover the side wall with drywall (rough finish because this will all be invisible):

I have to wait for my OC703 to arrive to finish the absorber part. So to be continued...
post #25 of 630 Old 03-13-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Since I have the main structure of the bump out mirror done, I can move on to other things.

So I started laying out the sub platform. PT 2x10s on top of 30lb roofing felt:

This part of the front stage will be built de-coupled from everything else and will be filled with sand. This way, I minimize the amount of area that has to have sand. Hey, that stuff is heavy, and its a long way down into this basement...

Anyway, the front part of the stage area can just be filled with insulation.

More to come.
post #26 of 630 Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

ebr,

Nice to see some of bpape's ideas come to life! I will be building one of these in my room too. Great job on it BTW and keep the pics coming. I love to see stuff like this
post #27 of 630 Old 03-13-2006, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
ebr
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Steve. Looks like you're making good progress on your room. 52 panels....wow. You and Greg Powers are crazy .

I'm kinda glad my new house is more traditional in nature so that the paneled look doesn't fit. Otherwise, I'd be making "GPowers" panels too.
post #28 of 630 Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good ebr! So how wide is that space where you built the front stage? Is the screen going in between the two bumps?

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #29 of 630 Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have barely scratched the surface understanding accoustics, but I was surprised that you put a piece of drywall over the insulation. I was expecting GOM or the like. Was this a situation where symmetry was the key, and absorbtion was a bonus?
post #30 of 630 Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Just curious, how far is the distance from left - right front speakers? Do all three fit inside that alcove? If so, was this suggested by an audio guy? How deep are the speaker baffles (front of speakers) depth wise
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page