GranTheaterO is in the middle of development as well as the rest of my basement. G
is a play off the acroynm for my other passion, the GTO.
I see that pictures are really the key to getting feedback and input on the project so I will include a bunch.
The first set of photos will bring the project up to about the end of December:
I will post more photos soon. Also if anyone is interested in the other rooms (from the drawing in the above link) let me know and I can post more.
I will caution you ahead of time I am not nearly as skilled as some of the members, I am building a solid but basic home theater. Hopefully leverging the skill and expertise of this forum I wont miss anything major. Thanks in advance.
I am building a dedicated HT in my basement and trying to do it right based on what I have read and know. The room (14'x 20' with 8' ceiling) is below the kitchen/Dining Room (w/ Hardwood floors). Going with the 5/8"/ GG / 5/8" on walls and ceiling as Brian recommends.
Currently planning to use the U-boat floaters (EPM rubber shaped in a U to fit on the 1.5" edge of a 2x4) I have for the sub floor combined with double 3/4" floor board. Ceiling will be RSIC-1. Walls are 3" from concrete (2 sides) double wall on 1 side & buffer utility room on the other (1/2" drywall on the utility room side).
I was approved on rough inspection last week for the construction, electrical & plumbing aspects of the entire project so I'm ready finializing some last points, running some last low voltage wires and starting to insulate. Next major step is for the drywall crew to preload the materials & start.
Anyway, I have a few questions at my current state that I'm hoping to get some help on.
1. I read somewhere that I should be adding additional support in the walls (2x4s) horizontally to firm up the wall, I think they were called "stringers"?. I cannot remember where I read it but it seem to make sense and has stuck in my mind. Should I add additional boards? On the one closed wall (drywall on each side) I could see it potentially creating resonance problems but what about the open walls (facing concrete with 3" gap and double non-touching wall)? What do you recommend, is there an advantage to adding additional framing and tightening up the structure?
2. Ducts pipes above? I have at least 5 duct pipes (6" round sheet metal) running from side to side in the rafters above. My though was to use "Reflectix insulation, MLV (I have a bunch) and fiberglass insulation. Any thoughts?
3. Floating floor - I've heard mixed reviews on floating floors. I already have the U-boat floaters, should I use them? If so, any suggestions to minimize negitive impact on sound?
4. Electrical boxes - I was planning to seal each box with acoustical caulk and MLV. Is this ok?
5. Any other last thoughts would also be appreciated. Better safe then sorry at this point, I have a lot invested in this room (at least sitting in boxes ready to be used )