Royal Fortune Construction Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 855 Old 04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, even with that blurry camera-phone pic (it's great to have a camera in a phone these days!) it looks like you were right next to the Elise wine...

I am sure you realize that I am just trying to help you get the wood to go further and cost less. BTW, since you will be making a LOT of repetitious cuts with the table saw and others, make sure you don't let your guard down even for a second. My mom does lots of woodworking and was doing that and ended up with multiple surgeries to rebuild a few knuckles... Wasn't good. But she does have about 95% use back in her fingers, bib props to the surgeons they called in for that one!

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 855 Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Elyse Cabernet is great.

Yikes...glad to hear she is ok.

post #453 of 855 Old 04-14-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, you corrected my spelling on the Elyse. I have a bottle that we finished off in my kitchen above the cabinets (we display some of the really good wines we have had) along with Silver Oak 1997 Napa Valley, 1997 Far Niente, 1999 Whitehall Lane Reserve and others I can't think of right now.

BTW, what are you going to use for a cooling unit?

Scott

post #454 of 855 Old 04-15-2007, 05:16 AM

Liked: 10
JikkJack,

Just lurking. Nice project. Great results. I thought you may be interested in this link for a 162 bottle wine rack. Sorry, you'll have to google "dizzy wine cabinet" as I can't post URLs.
This guy does great work and seems very good at DIY stuff. Even he found 1400 cuts a bit daunting!. Cutting up 100 BF is a lot of effort...judging by your other work, I am sure that in the end you would be proud of the final product!!
How long to you plan to store your wine? After excessive temperature variations, the next worse thing for a bottle of wine in storage is vibration. If your HT sub can rattle your wine then you may want to consider isolating your racks somehow or building/using a dense material, for eample, concrete. Search for "vinis pierre".
Good luck on your design!
post #455 of 855 Old 04-15-2007, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Scott. Don't know yet. I have to look into the units. I am planning to cut the unit in underneath the stairs on the right wall of the cellar. Here is an older pic of the room for reference.

post #456 of 855 Old 04-15-2007, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

chapeau - Thanks for the links and welcome to the forum. The good news is that my HT room (Sub) is far enough away from this area that I won't have to worry about the vibrations. I like the links you sent and will reference them from my project. I know there will be a lot of cuts but it will be worth it in the end.

post #457 of 855 Old 04-15-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Playing around with autostich program...

Been too rainy to cut the counter tops but it might ease up in a little while so I can at least put in the plywood and c-bond board...

Floor and decor was out of the granite tile I wanted so I might take a trip to a different one today to look and see if they have the same tile in stock...

Also going to be looking for a bar high-top table and chairs set...

I am going to put the table on the left of this picture where the small plant is with 2 chairs and the other 2 chairs are going to go at the bar. Then when we use the table with friends we can just pull the 2 stools at the counter over for a 4 chair set.

post #458 of 855 Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the wood cut for the counter tops and tonight will add the c-bond board.

Rainy weekend in GA so I went out and bought candy to stock the counter.

post #459 of 855 Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

Got the wood cut for the counter tops and tonight will add the c-bond board.

Rainy weekend in GA so I went out and bought candy to stock the counter.

Looks like you had fun at Sams! I'll be sure to keep my kids away from your house for a while

And the cabinet looks great!!
post #460 of 855 Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Steve. Yes fun at Sams and Publix indeed. I have to keep myself away from that room for a while too!

post #461 of 855 Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Looking good Jason - seems your better half has fun decorating the room!

Mike

Zinema construction thread
Wider is better - 2.40:1 CIH
post #462 of 855 Old 04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

chapeau - Thanks for the links and welcome to the forum. The good news is that my HT room (Sub) is far enough away from this area that I won't have to worry about the vibrations. I like the links you sent and will reference them from my project. I know there will be a lot of cuts but it will be worth it in the end.

Jason - untill you add an IB Sub and then all bets are off

The bar area turned out great.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #463 of 855 Old 04-17-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mike. Yes - she is. She is just glad that it is one more room done and I am getting closer to being finished.

Thanks Mark. I don't know about IB yet...I may experiment with that in the future for sure though. I just need to get my chairs in first...

post #464 of 855 Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
anymore progress?? probably my favorite out of the ones I have bookmarked and wanting to see more
post #465 of 855 Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Aaronlinkous! I appreciate that very much. I have indeed made more progress...

I have been working on a wine rack for the small area to the left of the basement stairs. There is an old picture of that area above in post #456 .

I spent a lot of time trying to reverse engineer some wine racks I found online to figure out spacing and have finally started cutting all of the cedar strips and putting the rack together.

My rack is going to be 34 11/16" wide, 13 3/8" deep, and 69 11/16" high and made from cedar wood. I will post a picture of my design today. Should hold around 128 bottles.

I am still waiting for chairs to show up and having a hard time getting in touch with the person getting them for me. If I don't hear anything this week, I will most likely buy them from Roman here on AVS.

In the meantime, I just keep plugging along on other parts of the basement.

Granite tile is going to be in this weekend and I may have a chance to put it in, but I have a busy schedule. I have to stain and seal my deck which will take a very long time.

post #466 of 855 Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok - Here is a very crude picture of the main rack. I will add lots of decorative wood trim (arches) wall mounted side bottle holders and demo shelves. I bought a lot of cedar wood to construct the entire set-up. Lots of table saw time but it is a breeze with the new diablo blade.

I will post some real pictures of the progress later tonight or tomorrow morning.

post #467 of 855 Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Just mind those fingers.

Cheers,
Mark

post #468 of 855 Old 04-30-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got all of the wood cut tonight and that was a big task. Still have all my fingers thanks to Mark's post. When he posted that, I made sure to be extra careful so not to have to explain myself to him after a post like that...

Started putting together another ladder and just finished up for the evening.

Here is what it looks like as of right now. Early infancy. Please ignore the messy workshop. I haven't finished the room yet...too many other projects.

Here is a shot of the 10th rung up (blue tape) where I will cap the rows and add the bottom of the X pattern.

post #469 of 855 Old 04-30-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And of course, I had to test it out to make sure a standard size bottle will fit...

Looks like a winner to me with plenty of room for larger size bottles if necessary.

I will continue work on the rack tomorrow after work. I hope to complete at least 2 ladders tomorrow night. They take forever to put together with all of the measuring and leveling...

post #470 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Once you get the first one level, can't you just use a spacer to get the next height set and nail or staple away? That is normally what I do when making things like this. Concentrate on the height and levelness of shelf or rack #1 and then use the same spacer for the next space up, then remove and use again... Would that help?

Scott

post #471 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That looks like a lot of cutt'n, glue'n and nail'n Great job! I'm planning to build a small wet bar area off my HT but the wife wants cabinets vs. exposed shelves. However, a cool "X" wine rack in the middle may add a nice accent. Hmm .. wonder if the IB sub will rattle the bottles on intense LFE scenes
post #472 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice Rack

Glad to hear that there were no mishaps - blood does tend to ruin a good bit of timber

Check your PM - I may be in Atlanta next week

Cheers,
Mark

post #473 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, Jason, I just thought of this. How about if you took one piece of wood as wide as the two pieces that are nailed next to each other including the blank area in-between the two and dado the end out as wide as the front and back piece? That would allow you to drive one nail through the front piece into the support for both sides of the vertical in one shot. Do that front and back and it would hold nicely, and would be lots less cutting (assuming it's not already done) and would get done faster...

If you don't know what I mean, reply here and I will make an easy to understand 3d model showing what I mean tomorrow at work (don't have the software here at home).

Scott

post #474 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Once you get the first one level, can't you just use a spacer to get the next height set and nail or staple away? That is normally what I do when making things like this. Concentrate on the height and levelness of shelf or rack #1 and then use the same spacer for the next space up, then remove and use again... Would that help?

Yeah - that would have made it easier...oh well. I have a pattern board that I am using but now that you mention it, a jig would have been smarter.

post #475 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

That looks like a lot of cutt'n, glue'n and nail'n Great job! I'm planning to build a small wet bar area off my HT but the wife wants cabinets vs. exposed shelves. However, a cool "X" wine rack in the middle may add a nice accent. Hmm .. wonder if the IB sub will rattle the bottles on intense LFE scenes

Yes, yes and yes. Thanks Steve! Someone posted in my thead earlier that storing wine exposed to vibration (ie subwoofer) could make it spoil faster. We won't have that problem at my place but I should pass along that info. I agree that the X factor is always cooler.

post #476 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Nice Rack

Glad to hear that there were no mishaps - blood does tend to ruin a good bit of timber

Check your PM - I may be in Atlanta next week

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark. Will do. I was out of the office in a training class today for the job with no access to the forum so I am having to catch up tonight.

post #477 of 855 Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

BTW, Jason, I just thought of this. How about if you took one piece of wood as wide as the two pieces that are nailed next to each other including the blank area in-between the two and dado the end out as wide as the front and back piece? That would allow you to drive one nail through the front piece into the support for both sides of the vertical in one shot. Do that front and back and it would hold nicely, and would be lots less cutting (assuming it's not already done) and would get done faster...

If you don't know what I mean, reply here and I will make an easy to understand 3d model showing what I mean tomorrow at work (don't have the software here at home).

That is a great idea and I wish I had thought of that...oh well - I am over 50% done now so I can't change it up at this point but man that is a great idea!

post #478 of 855 Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finished up the main part of the new wine rack. I have a lot more to do in this room but this is the major part of the rack design. Next, I will frame out the existing soffit and turn that into an arch area made from cedar strips and take it back to the rack. I will post an updated sketch tomorrow of the next step.

Yeah - the rack is leaning a little bit to the right for now, but once I fasten it to the back wall - it will fix that and put the whole thing into line.

I am planning to put a tile stone on the back wall floor to ceiling that will be visible through the rack and we will be painting the wine cellar a different color. I will also begin looking for a new light for this room too with the wife.

post #479 of 855 Old 05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome job Jason! Talk about a lot of work. Love it
post #480 of 855 Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 AM

Excellent work Jason!
I guess you need a short break now from cutting & nailing...

Mike

Zinema construction thread
Wider is better - 2.40:1 CIH
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page