post #722 of 855 Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_B View Post

Very nice. I might have to add this to the list. How about a video of that in action?

Thanks Tim,

I will take a video after getting this thing automated.

Thanks Craig. Your basement is looking good and you could add a masking system while waiting for the new carpet and it is a good project(excuse) to delay the re-wire of the equipment room!

Tonight I'm going to install the permanent tracks for the masks, add the tension line between the two mask bars, and install the motor. I might have time to automate it with the remote but I also need to cut and attach the fabric for the new false wall panels.

I need to take a vacation day to work on this project. I am sitting at work thinking about all the things I need to do instead of doing them...

post #723 of 855 Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nice work Jason. To go from concept to near movie ready with so few hiccups is quite impressive.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #724 of 855 Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks kjlewie. I admit I am borrowing ideas that others have done before me but I have some modifications that I can claim as my own.

Here are a couple more pictures. The motor didn't show up tonight so I will have to automate this thing tomorrow evening.

Close up of the track that the bottom mask travels in. I created a cavity in the wooden block for the aluminum bar to slide into. This thing works great.

I was able to gently peel the Carada emblem off of the original screen frame and attach it to the new bottom mask.

and finally - I was able to wrap and attach 6 panels tonight. I just have the side speaker panels to complete tomorrow evening and add the automation/motor and I am done!

I have to say that I am very pleased so far with the results and the new false wall. I think if I ever build another one...I have even more ways that I could improve this design - but that is for false wall 3.0.

post #725 of 855 Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great job!!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #726 of 855 Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Very nice, looking foward to seeing the video.
post #727 of 855 Old 10-08-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.

So the motor came and it is going back...don't like it - loud - and it is not consistent with hitting the stops. Since it was 100 bucks...it should be a lot better in the noise and consistency areas.

I also found a motor that I want more yesterday by Somfy. I think this largely contributed to my decision too.

They have a motor LT30 that my URC remote has IR codes for! This IR controlled motor has 3 memory stops (Top) (Bottom) and (MY Preferred Location) This is great and the fact my URC controller has the codes for it makes it a done deal.

So I am going to have to slightly alter my design to accommodate this new motor/brackets but should work better in the long run.

I finished the speaker panels and now I just have to wait for the new motor to come in to automate everything.

Picture quality is so much better with the masks. Even the wife was impressed by the difference in PQ. Her exact words are - "It looks more crispy".

post #728 of 855 Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Link to the motor?

Looks like a good solution.

EDIT - Found it:

http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_555.html
post #729 of 855 Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good call on Somfy - it's what SeymourAV uses on their retractable screens.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #730 of 855 Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@ dc - IR controlled Somfy

@ Audixium - yep - I think this will work out a whole lot better. Great work on the demo disk. I can't wait for that to come out.

post #731 of 855 Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
great work so far. im looking to do the exact same thing with the same somfy motor, although i am going to try and do independant top and bottom masks (2 motors), as i've noticed that not all movies are properly centered. sometimes i found myself needing just a bit more of the bottom mask to come up. in any case, i remember reading somewhere that the somfy ir was not allowing people to "learn" the codes into their universal remotes. please let us know if it can learn it, as opposed to having the ir codes directly in the urc remote.

also, i've tried searching the manuals but there is no mention as to whether or not you can use the up and down buttons to simply jog the motor. specifically, im looking for the motor to lower the shade and stop when i take my hand off the button. the manual states that it is setup for 1 button press of up or down. hopefully that is not the only option, but please do let us know. thanks so much for your help.

post #732 of 855 Old 10-09-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Anthony. Funny you mention that because Ken from AV-Outlet emailed me that someone tried using codes from an IR database and had zero luck until buying the somfy remote and learning directly from it. My URC remote has a lot of Somfy code sets and if they don't work then I will start a netflix type model with 1 somfy remote. I will buy it then rent it out to others that just need it to learn the codes!

Check this manual: LT30IR

In the section about up down and my - I assume after you set the limits the only way to do what you are saying would be hit the button for the direction you wanted to go and then quickly hit the stop button...?? I will test and report back but as far as a jog up and jog down...doesn't look like that is possible from the manual. I wish it said "quick taps of up or down jog the motor in those directions". instead of one tap to go to up limit and down limit.

Maybe I could create a macro on my URC controller to jog up and jog down with up/stop and down/stop rapid fire codes...hmmm.

post #733 of 855 Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Keep plugging away. Once you got it down, then we can tackle mine.

Bud
post #734 of 855 Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sounds good Bud.

I have 2 options for installing the new motor.

1. I ordered 1.5 feet of somfy pipe with my order just to test the motor/ir integration before installing. I could add a flat vacuum cleaner belt over the test pipe and bottom aluminum tube and have a belt driven mask system.

Benefits: I could build a hush box if the motor is a little loud. Easy installation.

Cons: belt might slip??

2. Install in the top aluminum tube. Will need to add metal self tapping screws through the metal motor drive gear since my aluminum tube doesn't have the grooves like the somfy pipe.

Benefits: fully integrated

Cons: requires a little rework of the top roller to accommodate the somfy brackets.

post #735 of 855 Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

i vote for #2. once setup, its zero maintenance and bullet proof. motor directly attached to the roller. the belt can, over time, loosen or shift, and thus not maintenance free. from all the reports i've read, the somfy is the quietest motor around and stewart and carada both use it for their masking systems.

post #736 of 855 Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Misc. update.

So I got the new Somfy motor and put together a bench test before installing. I have a URC MX-980 controller that has the Somfy IR codes. The codes work but only for up/down/stop.

According to the Somfy documentation - to program the limits (top, bottom, and my position) you have to send 2 IR codes together. Example - to program the top limit you have to move the shade to the limit and hit down and stop at the same time. This is where the issue comes in. Seems the URC remote will not send these 2 IR commands at the same time an therefore the motor does not learn the limits. I called and talked with Somfy support and they confirmed that this is indeed the case. The support rep told me to buy the Somfy remote and once the limits are programmed - I can use the URC remote to go to said limits.

While this sucks...I should have all of the new parts for the updated version of my masking system that I will get to put together this weekend. Pics and more updates on Saturday.

post #737 of 855 Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I might have missed it somewhere, but what material are you using to roll up and down for the masks?

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #738 of 855 Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Jason-

Planning my home theater and I've been in and out of your thread a dozen times. Quick question (that was probably already answered in one of the previous 25 pages). I think I read your finished dimensions were 12 x 28. What are your riser dimensions? How much aisle room do you have at either side? Trying to decide whethere my entrance will be in the front of the back. Front is easier because the door opens into space before the first row, but back would be nice also. My unfinished space is about 16 x25. Wondering if I can still squeeze the 3rd row barstools in with only 25 in length.
post #739 of 855 Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

Misc. update.

So I got the new Somfy motor and put together a bench test before installing. I have a URC MX-980 controller that has the Somfy IR codes. The codes work but only for up/down/stop.

According to the Somfy documentation - to program the limits (top, bottom, and my position) you have to send 2 IR codes together. Example - to program the top limit you have to move the shade to the limit and hit down and stop at the same time. This is where the issue comes in. Seems the URC remote will not send these 2 IR commands at the same time an therefore the motor does not learn the limits. I called and talked with Somfy support and they confirmed that this is indeed the case. The support rep told me to buy the Somfy remote and once the limits are programmed - I can use the URC remote to go to said limits.

While this sucks...I should have all of the new parts for the updated version of my masking system that I will get to put together this weekend. Pics and more updates on Saturday.

i figured this would be the case. the remote is fairly cheap anyways, and you could sell it to me once you're done. if i could ask you to try something when you get the remote that would be fantastic. im wondering if you would be able to save the "my preset" more than once into the urc remote. basically, have the presets for 2.35 learned into the somfy remote... send the signal to urc and save it as "position 1". then, erase the preset from the somfy remote, re-save it to a different position such as 1.85 and re-learn that command into the urc as "position 2"... and so on. i really dont see why that wouldn't work but if you could test that out for us you would be a saviour. we could essenitally save as many presets as we want if it ends up working.

also, did you find out anything in regrads to pressing the up/down button and having the motor work only when the button is engaged and stop immediately once you release the button (ie. jog feature)?

thanks jason.

post #740 of 855 Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I might have missed it somewhere, but what material are you using to roll up and down for the masks?

Joann Fabric
Black Premier Velvet
SKU# CIH J 9055674
This is very close to the Carada black velvet. Just a little nicer quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Jackals View Post

Jason-

Planning my home theater and I've been in and out of your thread a dozen times. Quick question (that was probably already answered in one of the previous 25 pages). I think I read your finished dimensions were 12 x 28. What are your riser dimensions? How much aisle room do you have at either side? Trying to decide whethere my entrance will be in the front of the back. Front is easier because the door opens into space before the first row, but back would be nice also. My unfinished space is about 16 x25. Wondering if I can still squeeze the 3rd row barstools in with only 25 in length.

You might be able to. My riser is 88 inches wide and built to accommodate 3 Berkline 088's at 86 inches wide. Aisle space is 26" on each side. I vote for the back. I can't seem to find or remember the length of the riser but can measure that tonight. I have a 12" step on the front that could be moved to a side since you have a wider room (lucky).

Yes - my finished dimensions are around 12x28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

i figured this would be the case. the remote is fairly cheap anyways, and you could sell it to me once you're done. if i could ask you to try something when you get the remote that would be fantastic. im wondering if you would be able to save the "my preset" more than once into the urc remote. basically, have the presets for 2.35 learned into the somfy remote... send the signal to urc and save it as "position 1". then, erase the preset from the somfy remote, re-save it to a different position such as 1.85 and re-learn that command into the urc as "position 2"... and so on. i really dont see why that wouldn't work but if you could test that out for us you would be a saviour. we could essenitally save as many presets as we want if it ends up working.

also, did you find out anything in regrads to pressing the up/down button and having the motor work only when the button is engaged and stop immediately once you release the button (ie. jog feature)?

thanks jason.

Anthony. I thought of this as well and it doesn't work that way. The somfy onboard memory stores the limits (not sent via IR). So you can only have 3 limits. The somfy remote is necessary to set those limits. I think you will be good with just 3.

Open = 1:78:1
My = 1:85:1
Close = 2:35:1 and 2:40:1 (according to wikipedia these are the same)

2.35:1 35 mm anamorphic prior to 1970, used by CinemaScope ("'Scope") and early Panavision. The anamorphic standard has subtly changed so that modern anamorphic productions are actually 2.39,[1] but often referred to as 2.35 anyway, due to old convention. (Note that anamorphic refers to the compression of the image on film to maximize an area slightly taller than standard 4-perf Academy aperture, but presents the widest of aspect ratios.)

2.39:1 35 mm anamorphic from 1970 onwards. Sometimes rounded up to 2.40:1[1] Often commercially branded as Panavision format or 'Scope.

Jog seems possible with macro. I will know for sure on Saturday. Currently when I press up or down and let go the motor free spins for a second in those directions. This will go away once the limits are set. So once the motor learns the up limit - all brief taps of up will go to that limit.

post #741 of 855 Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

great idea of the open, close and my the way you set them. i didn't think of that so essentially you have 3 presets for what you need. i think that should work for me as well, the last thing that remains to be seen is if jog works via macro. if it does, then off to the somfy i will go. let us know how it goes on saturday. impatiently awaiting!!!

post #742 of 855 Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Me too Anthony.

So here is the latest direction I am going in with the masking system. I bought this coil spring to go in the bottom tube to help roll the bottom mask back on the bottom tube when the masks are moving to the open position.

Here is my latest render of the current direction I am going with the mask system this weekend. I also have a backup design in the event that this does not work...

The motor and spring will be inserted into the top and bottom tube but I am showing them outside of the tube for reference.

As the motor turns the top tube to deploy the top mask - it will pull the bottom mask up. This will build tension on the coil spring. Once the mask moves in the opposite direction - the coil spring (now under tension) will pull the bottom mask material back around the bottom tube.

Note: The pulleys I originally installed on the top tube are useless. I am only using them now to prevent the wire from going to the edge of the pipe.

post #743 of 855 Old 10-16-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That first sketch is basicly the way Carada do it with there Horizontal Masqurade But without the middle Roller,You just attach the ribbon to the top roller so it is on the back of the roller, opposite of the velvet that unrolls from the front of the roller..
So when the top masking goes down the ribbon rolls up thus pulls up the bottom masking "Straight edge" or rod that the ribbon is directly attached to: Note the ribbon is not attached to the bottom masking roller only the Bar/straight edge that the bottom masking fabric is attached to...

The top masking has no ribbon attached to the Straite edge, it just slides smoothly down the 2 (tefflon aided) side guides thanks to gravity...

Although I am sure they use the Somfy Sonesse 50(ir) motor...

Here is A quick sketch up to give you an Idea of what I mean..

Cheers...

DIY Horizontal Screen masking System.zip 12.2607421875k . file
post #744 of 855 Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Excellent. Thanks Cinema Mad. That is good to know and gives me confidence in my current plan for this weekend. Hopefully I will have a video to post by Sunday. Fingers crossed.

post #745 of 855 Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Jason,

I've been following your motorized masking construction and very impressed with your engineering abilities. I can't wait to see the final version. I have toyed around with the idea of rebuilding my screen as curved. Adding side masking is a strong possibility after seeing yours.

On another note, I looked and was not able to find a post of the final version of your closet DVD Rack. I have mine built but it still needs to be finished out. Once I get the kids Media Center built, I plan to get that button up. Any final pics to share?
post #746 of 855 Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

Excellent. Thanks Cinema Mad. That is good to know and gives me confidence in my current plan for this weekend. Hopefully I will have a video to post by Sunday. Fingers crossed.

Looking forward in seeing how it turns out mate...

It may need A little refinement to get it all working perfectly as with most things of similar nature, but there is no doubt you have the base core plan's sorted to build & improve upon which is the most important thing...

Cheers....
post #747 of 855 Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Steve,

Thanks man. I think you should give it a try. Fun project for sure. I think side masking would be so much easier too than horizontal. Here is the final pic of my DVD rack. When I was building this originally - Netflix did not exist. That has slowed down me filling this thing up.

I have been watching your thread for the updates to the finished wet bar area and the new media room (which is on my to-do list as well) and think everything looks great. I might have to talk with you about the custom cabinets you are doing in more detail. I am interested in this approach for my media area. I have a 17' x 18' room that is going to probably end up as HT2.0/media room. Where it says family room below is actually a room in my house.

Cinema Mad - thanks man! I will get it completed one way or another but should turn out great in the end.

Masking update: Minor setback on the masking system this weekend. I got the wrong remote but the right one is on the way and I should be under way soon. I am going to add the spring to the bottom roller today and of course watch a lot of football.

post #748 of 855 Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Masking Is A Huge Success!!!!!!!!

Open:

Closed:

And Video... I took this with my crappy digital camera so it is louder than it is in person.
Also note that since my theater lights are on full there is a shadow being cast by the top mask over the screen. This is not the case when the lights are out.

post #749 of 855 Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Oh sure... now it's done!

Seriously, good job, and good documentation. Time to play something loud!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #750 of 855 Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely Awesome Job on the Horizontal masking Jason That Video says it ALL!!..

Just wondering Jase, Did you use the Guides at the Side like in my Sketch-up ?, so the Masking tracks straight and close to the Screen ...

Cheers mate....
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page