Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 855 Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice documented build as usual.

I still need to get on with my MAME project. Leaning to a portable table version. Need to look at that Arcade forum for ideas.

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 855 Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

Thanks justaguyinga. If you are in Marietta area I might have some free time to help you out with your build.

Thanks Mark - yes you do need to get back down here soon. I did finish it and here are some shots:

Appreciate the offer. I live in Lilburn which is about 30 minutes from Marietta. Yours and Bud's builds have already been a tremendous help and source of inspiration. If you and Bud or anyone else from ATL get together again anytime, keep me in mind. Now that the holidays are over I am back full steam to finish the Corkstreet Hill theater. If you get the chance sometime check out the build thread.

Dan

post #843 of 855 Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguyinGA View Post

Appreciate the offer. I live in Lilburn which is about 30 minutes from Marietta. Yours and Bud's builds have already been a tremendous help and source of inspiration. If you and Bud or anyone else from ATL get together again anytime, keep me in mind. Now that the holidays are over I am back full steam to finish the Corkstreet Hill theater. If you get the chance sometime check out the build thread.

...now with link in signature...sorry 'bout that.

Dan

post #844 of 855 Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Jason,
What a fun read. Just spent the past few days going through your thread in my spare time. I'm over in Sandy Springs, so it was nice to see how you did things, and also find out about availability for stuff in Atlanta. I plan on starting my theater sometime later this year, so I'm 100% in planning mode. Gotta get the financial committee to agree to let me proceed before any actual work starts. She did let me build a wine cellar though, which I just finished up!

Have been trying to learn sketch up and just getting my head wrapped around all I want to do down there. Considering it took me 4 months to build the wine cellar, I'd guess the basement should take me, ohhh, friggin' FOREVER! ;-) OCD is my enemy...

Need to take some finished pics.. these don't have the base or crown. I didn't build the racks (like some other enterprising fellas), but I did build the cabinets below, as well as everything else about the room.

-Mark

post #845 of 855 Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
That looks fantastic! I wish I had more space for a bigger wine cellar and I just noticed that I never posted my final pics. I will try to do that this weekend. My biggest problem is keeping it stocked. :-)

I used to have a home theater business with Bud (chinadog) and we did a lot of theaters around GA. If you have any questions - ask away. I am working with a local aluminum fabricator in Marietta and might have a kit Masking System available soon. Still working out the details.

post #846 of 855 Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks! It was a tough build for me as every dollar I sunk into the cellar meant I couldn't buy that much wine. It was certainly an experience along the way, with my original rack manufacturer going out of business after they took my money for racks! Thank God for chargebacks... My cellar took a big hit over the holidays, THEN we were locked up in the house during the ice storm, so it took another hit. I was able to leave the house on the Tuesday after the storm, but my wife was home for the entire week, till Sunday! At some point you will start accumulating more than you drink!

That's pretty cool y'all actually started up a business together. I read that Bud moved away in another Georgia thread. I'll definitely be doing the work myself, as I'm insanely handy around the house. That, and my workshop is begging for the next project (which will more than likely be an outdoor kitchen on my deck)...

The masking kit sounds interesting. I'm thinking I'm going to do CIH and use the somfy motors as well.
post #847 of 855 Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Haven't moved away quite yet, my commute is just a little longer for the next few months!

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #848 of 855 Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Ha ha. You can hire me to come work up there once you get established! I am ready to build theater version 2.0. This time without a shoestring budget.

post #849 of 855 Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great job on the wine cellar. Where the hell were you guys when I lived in Atlanta?!!?

Anyways, how big is your cellar? We drink a ton of wine and have been thinking about adding a cellar of some sort down the road to our next house. I'm guessing you could work one in a fairly small space?

Jason

post #850 of 855 Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks. It's about 1000 individual and about 300 case (along the bottom). Not quite there yet, but I certainly got to a point somewhere along the line where I was buying more than I was drinking...

Uploaded a video of the "mostly" finished version. Still need to hook up the condensate pump and build the doors for the cabinets at the bottom. Of course I shot it on my phone and should have turned the phone sideways. Oh well.

post #851 of 855 Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Cool video. Sorry, I meant the dimensions of the room. Looks like maybe 10x6 or so??

Jason

post #852 of 855 Old 02-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Sorry, I was posting the video from before since the pics weren't of the completed version. Cellar is ~9'x5.5'

In my previous house my cellar was entirely under some stairs, and I could fit about 450 bottles in there.

Attachment 200349
LL
post #853 of 855 Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM

Wine cellar looks awesome. Still trying to figure out if I can fit one in my build somewhere. Looking forward to seeing your build thread as well.

Dan

post #854 of 855 Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack View Post

Been a while since I posted but thought I would put in an update to keep my thread from dying. I retired my old MAME arcade machine and replaced it with a custom built Golden Tee Pedestal. I am now waiting on the 2011 kit to show up.

I hope it will be here next week. Half-time will be a whole lot more fun now!!

Reference:

Mine:

This is sweet !!

Can I ask what it costs ? Where did you get it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #855 of 855 Old 10-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jason,

I know this post/question is late to the party but I just finished reading through your post...got hooked when checking out your build of the auto masking system. I'm just lurking here and gathering ideas and info as I get ready to start my remodel of our basement.
Loved your HT build awesome job, and great documentation...us lurkers are always looking for that.
You mentioned that you are working with a metal fabricator to build a version of you masking system, did that ever happen, and if so are they still available.....

Thanks,

john
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page