post #301 of 775 Old 04-26-2006, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equusz View Post

OK either I need new glasses or there's something horrifyingly wrong with the girl on the right's top teeth!

Equusz

I think you need new glasses!

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 775 Old 04-26-2006, 06:36 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
She has teeth...?

Oh, wow, there's a guy in that picture too. Who knew?
post #303 of 775 Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Well there was a lot of other work to do as well. We had to weed and mow the lawn, but I didn't document that for any Internet forums.

I did keep myself busy in the family room, however. While in rack building mode, I put my equipment into 3 slide out racks above my TV set.

There are a few components missing right now and I covered their spots with 1U vent panels on the top and a 1U blank panel on the right side rack for right now to see how clean it is going to look. On the top left, I should have a Lumagen scaler, but I am waiting on that. I will pass the one from my theater down here when I get a Realta based unit up there - probably when I upgrade to a 3-chip 1080p DLP early next year.

In the middle rack on the top will be a thermostatically controlled fan. I had one ready to go, but I want their new decorator series fan instead as it looks a lot less industrial.

On the right side, I plan on putting my D-BOX Odyssee motion controller in the shelf that has an open slot. It is upstairs right now but I will have a third controller shortly so I can have one in the theater, one in the gameroom and one in the family room. There is also just enough room for a Kaleidescape movie reader and I would like to relocate that downstairs since that is the most convenient place to load new discs when I buy them unless I pick up a whole bunch at one time at which point I use the bulk loader.

Here is a closer shot of the rack. The screws are going to be covered with trim strips for an even cleaner look. I also need to see about getting a gasket to fill in the gap that is left when the rack is in place.

Mr. P,

Can you give me some info on these racks--I have a media niche that I am going to convert into some kind of built-in and/or cabinet and these types of racks would work great.

Also, I must have missed it somewhere in this entire thread that I just read but who did the design of the theater or have you done it all yourself?

Impressive project and thanks for letting us be a part of the process!

Jaime

If you can't say anything kind at least have the decency to be vague...
post #304 of 775 Old 04-27-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surdev View Post

She is sticking her tongue out...

OK now I see it - wow that was a weird optical illusion!

The Log Cabin Theater Build

A.D.D. stands for attention deficit LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
post #305 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
Finally, we have gotten just about finished with the woodworking. That has been a real nightmare on my timeline and my budget.

The candy counter, which was redone once is now looking a lot better with the hardwood floor put in. I still need to have the curve cut into the wood, but you can see how it will look here (please ignore the dust):

The wood trim is a little splotchy because it is pine. I want to change that to mahogany to match the counter. That can wait for now, though.

Also, the columns are finished - four of them are here:
post #306 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering what was going on with your construction. We had not been getting any updates for a while. We are an impatient group of bastards!

Scott

post #307 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And finally my custom wood bullnoses have been finished - almost. One piece should come in today. It was supposed to be finished Saturday but the guy wanted to double check the templates to make sure he had them correct.

Each piece is made a little long to we have to trim them on site - this is why they don't match up right now in the shots. Also, they tend to blend in with the plywood but will have a lot of contrast against the carpet.

Here they are set up on top of the right steps. The gap will disappear when the end is cut to fit the length:

Here you can see the right edge is too long - this was done on all the pieces so we could miter them if need be. Also we need to make them snug with the baseboard as well. The front facings will have a veneer of knotty alder to match.

The bottom step, while not fitted in just yet, shows very much like the finished step noses will look like.

Here is a shot of the back steps with their bullnose pieces laid out for install. These were some sharper curves and fairly tough to do I suspect.
post #308 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

I was wondering what was going on with your construction. We had not been getting any updates for a while. We are an impatient group of bastards!

I fit right in with that group! Carpet is supposed to be installed Thursday. I need to start staining and finishing the wood tomorrow to have it ready in time. I was told it will take 2 days to put in my carpet. They are sending out their best installer and he will be working alone on the project. I feel that pictures after he comes out are going to look VERY different!
post #309 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 PM

Liked: 12
Nice work indeed.

I grew up in Clovis and my family still lives there. How about those summers, eh?

Looking forward to the final product. Would love to see it in person since I go to Clovis about twice a year anyway.
post #310 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

90 degrees today and it is just going to get worse when summer hits. Fortunately the R-value of my theater is astronomical without windows and the double sheetrock, green glue and floating floor.

I will be done when summer rolls around. I only wonder how long it will take for me to get it tweaked to the level I am comfortable with.
post #311 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Looks good. I wasn't 100% on board with the columns in the renders and under construction - but they look great now that they are up.
post #312 of 775 Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post

Mr. P,

Can you give me some info on these racks--I have a media niche that I am going to convert into some kind of built-in and/or cabinet and these types of racks would work great.

Also, I must have missed it somewhere in this entire thread that I just read but who did the design of the theater or have you done it all yourself?

Impressive project and thanks for letting us be a part of the process!

JJay, the racks are Middle Atlantic SR series racks. They slide out, but do not rotate. They have a rotating version, but I didn't have room for them. The only drawback of these is that they don't slide out that far - it is pretty cramped when you use deep components, which many of mine are.

I used Dennis Erskine for the acoustic engineering and worked with him on the design of the room. The system was designed by me and a lot of changes during the build out phase were done by me after being able to visualize things with Reaper's rendering. I figure all the money he saved me in not making mistakes I more than spent in making the room better. In the end, he probably cost me money but I end up with a substantially better looking room than I would have otherwise had.
post #313 of 775 Old 05-02-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A while back, somebody posted that if I went for a secret entrance to my theater, I would have to get a bust of Shakespear where I can tilt the head back and open the door just like in the original Batman series.

Well, I was just informed that my Shakespear bust is shipping today. I think I ordered it about 3 months ago.

Here is the same bust with the original Batman, Adam West!

If you would like one of your own, they are here:
http://www.wickedcoolstuff.com/shrecobujpr.html
post #314 of 775 Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Too cool, Mr. P!

Randy

Visit Cinema Murray

Check out a video of my theater here

post #315 of 775 Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Hed

LOL...look at the expression on West 's face..lol.....looks real happy to be there.
post #316 of 775 Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 AM

I love your work Mr. P

...now all you need is a Suit of Armor like the ones in Scooby Doo

here's one!
post #317 of 775 Old 05-04-2006, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Foghorn, I would like to have a nice wide hall with about 10-12 suits of armor from different periods and locales, making sure to have not only European armor, but also the suits Samurai would wear. Alas, I do not have enough room.
post #318 of 775 Old 05-06-2006, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mr.P,

The theater will be incredible. It looks like the "light" is peeking through at the end of the tunnel, at least for the major construction phase. Hopefully your Merc will come in at the exact time you are ready for it as well as the rest of your equipment. That would be tough to sit in a beautiful theater that is waiting for equipment.

This thread is a clinic!
post #319 of 775 Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oh my lord, where to begin...

I have been racing the clock, trying to finish construction before my wife delivers our second baby - due in 10 days now. No time for updates, I guess - until now.

Bullnoses and woodworking are complete.

Here the room is fairly well cleaned up and waiting for stain and clear coat:
post #320 of 775 Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

For those who have been paying attention, those last photos look a lot better than any of the previous ones. I just upgraded to a Canon Digital SLR camera with a nice wide angle lens. It is a whole new ballgame now!

Here are some closeups of the bullnose detail:

You will notice no visible attachment - they were all attached via screws on the back side so nothing is visible attaching them to the steps. You can see the screws in the back side photos:

And from the front it is nice and clean. Notice the two front veneers of knotty alder - one lower one recessed from the top one:

Unfortunately, they do not have a lot of contrast to the plywood, but that will change when the stain hits it. Staining is going on right now - more beat the clock as the carpet guy comes Wednesday and is supposed to be finished Thursday. My HVAC guy is coming tomorrow evening as well - lucky him to be working in the attic after things heat up.
post #321 of 775 Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

A while back, somebody posted that if I went for a secret entrance to my theater, I would have to get a bust of Shakespear where I can tilt the head back and open the door just like in the original Batman series.

Well, I was just informed that my Shakespear bust is shipping today. I think I ordered it about 3 months ago.

Here is the same bust with the original Batman, Adam West!

If you would like one of your own, they are here:
http://www.wickedcoolstuff.com/shrecobujpr.html

I want to take credit for that one. Those Shakespear busts are the coolest. That will be very high on the "cool factor" scale.

Congratulations on your new child. I wish you and your wife the best.

Mike

I Golf
post #322 of 775 Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mr. P., gotta say, that room looks big! Looks like things are coming along, now if only the new kid could wait a little longer and let you get more done.... Just kidding of course. Good luck with the new baby and also the amount of work that will get done after the new baby comes along!

Scott

post #323 of 775 Old 05-16-2006, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is a little teaser - stained and sealed - still needs to be sanded lightly once and then have the final coat of polyeurethane applied.

post #324 of 775 Old 05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nice! I like the stain color.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #325 of 775 Old 05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #326 of 775 Old 05-16-2006, 07:41 PM

Looking good! I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's update!
post #327 of 775 Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 PM

Just saw the thread for the first time today and read every page, I think I am going to cry.

I have previously held Art's theatre as the one to aspire too, I think when completed, it will be toppled from its perch.

Must win the lottery, must win the lottery, must win the lottery

(although I have my doubts about alot of the stuff included in your room even being available in New Zealand, but thats a whole different story)

Sen

No more training do you require, already know you that which you need.
post #328 of 775 Old 05-18-2006, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I have previously held Art's theatre as the one to aspire too, I think when completed, it will be toppled from its perch.
Sen

2 G90s perfectly tuned to act as one.... I think not. But the room IS beautiful!
post #329 of 775 Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
You ever seen a Digital Projections Mercury HD in action? You may change your mind.
post #330 of 775 Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Carpet has been put in - somewhat. They have finished about half of the room and will finish the rest on Monday.

Here it is with the pad going down:

I got memory foam pad, which not only is really nice and comfy, but it also extends my carpet warranty substantially (like 5 or 7 years more - I don't recall exactly).

Now, here is how it looks with the carpet down. The lady in the background is my handyman's girlfriend - the only wide shot she was in was the only one that caught the carpet pattern well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page