Mr.Poindexter's home theater under construction - 2.35:1 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 775 Old 08-12-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well, I will probably try out both lenses if I can find a photographer that has one of each.

I am taking a slight breather from wiring the racks - only a little more to go: XLR's and the D-BOX, plus some networking cables and my subs. Gotta run to the store to get a switch and power strip.

The rate I am going, it looks like I won't be able to watch a movie in there until about 3:00am!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 775 Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mr. P that is a fantastic setup you will have. A few questions.

Which seats are in the picture below and are they the same seats you will be using?

Lastly I am flying down to California from Australia in September and would love to see your setup if possible. Wish I could be there for your opening.

Keep the pics coming.

Spero
post #453 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Those seats are Fortress Matinee in premium leather with wood panel tilt-out cupholders and aisle lights. I will be using the exact same seats except I opted for the down and memory foam pillow back and seat options. I also requested a different stain on the wood panels to match the stain in my room.
post #454 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Lastly I am flying down to California from Australia ...

Hmmm.... I always thought Australians had to fly UP to California?

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #455 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some Aussies put the South pole on the top of the map, I guess.

Maybe he is coming from the Bizarro world, where up is down and down is up.
post #456 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Some Aussies put the South pole on the top of the map, I guess.

Maybe he is coming from the Bizarro world, where up is down and down is up.

let's hope not, because he called your theater "fantastic". i'd hate to think he meant crap-tastic.
post #457 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by donb1948 View Post

Hmmm.... I always thought Australians had to fly UP to California?

Funny, I was thinking the same thing!

Scott

post #458 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I am getting close to finishing up all the audio wiring. Now I will have to go back and do some more with the video. I just picked up an HD-DVD and a BluRay player. I still need to wire up the X-BOX 360 as well. Let's all see how many HD sources I can get...
post #459 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Well, I am getting close to finishing up all the audio wiring. Now I will have to go back and do some more with the video. I just picked up an HD-DVD and a BluRay player. I still need to wire up the X-BOX 360 as well. Let's all see how many HD sources I can get...

Hmmm....

Dish
DirecTV
Cable
OTA HD receiver (standalone)
D-VHS
HD-DVD
Blu-ray
HTPC
Xbox 360
PS3 (when available)
TiVo series 3 (when available)

Anything else worth mentioning?

The theater looks great. My folks moved to Hanford to retire and maybe I'll time my next visit to coincide with an open house at your place!
post #460 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Wow, outstanding job on the theater! I can't wait to hear how blown away everyone is at the open house. Looking forward to seeing the completed pics.
post #461 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am not going to double/triple up on services. I did that with DirecTV and Voom then switched to Voom exclusively for a while. I miss Voom, BTW.

DirecTV HD TiVo
Kaleidescape
D-Theater
Blu-Ray
HD-DVD
X-BOX 360
PC
Video Camera

I don't know why you would have a stand alone ATSC tuner in your list when the sat services provide that functionality. If one was using cable, I could see the point...

I guess I am set at 8 for now.
post #462 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 03:50 PM

Mike why two complete sound systems Genesis, and dARTS?
post #463 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Will, this is a showroom as well as my personal system. I will also be using it for doing side by side comparisons of equipment so I have it wired to run an additional 2 sets of speakers should I want to - but those speakers wouldn't be hidden in the columns.
post #464 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, what have I been doing lately? Well, let's look:

Here is the back of one of the racks. This one doesn't have a lot wired in, but it will be the fastest part to complete as it is straightforward runs to the same rack. The wires already done are going to the secod rack and are a pain.

Here, you can see I have finished wiring up both the amplifiers with speaker wire and have the Phase Technology dARTS amp wired up with single-ended RCA cables while the Adcom GFA-7807 is wired with Balanced XLR cables. Below the amps you can see a bunch of holes for the patch panel. That will have to wait, as I need to have a panel box built for it so everything will be wired directly for this meet. In the future it will run through the panel, which will allow me to bypass almost anything without opening up my racks.

Wires from up top run down the back of the rack shown here. I have a couple more things to plug into the power system but I left them out of the way for right now.

Most of these wires run either to the speakers or to the other rack, so they have to be attached to the cable carriers. With the carriers, I can have the cables neat and still have enough slack to roll the equipment rack out to get access to the rear. With the tight quarters, I have to remove the door from the hinges to access both racks and be able to work on them at the same time - something I am only likely to need to do during installation.

The messy cables on the right are ones I still need to wire up. The ones on the top right are for the whole house audio distribution system, which is a lower priority right now. It will also be a pain since the home builder gave me a whopping 4 feet of cable to work with - thanks guys! I need about 12-15 feet depending on where in the rack the wire goes, so I will have to do some splicing. This is work for September, I think!

Now, back to the grindstone...
post #465 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Good heavens. You can come wire my racks any time. What a neat job!

Who makes the nice little bars you have across the back to tie up your cables?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #466 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Good heavens. You can come wire my racks any time. What a neat job!

Who makes the nice little bars you have across the back to tie up your cables?

Thanks. Those bars are made by Middle Atlantic. They are lacer bars, part number LBP-1A. They come in packs of 10. The ones with an offset are also Middle Atlantic but I don't recall the part number. They have different amounts of offset depending on the model and also come in 10-packs which is a lot if you only need a couple with offsets and you need different offset lengths. I use them generally to go into the rack for cable strain releif for short components, but I had to use one that went the other direction for the Adcom amp since it was so frickin' enormous. I would have used them like that for the Equi=Tech 5Q, but it was in the lower part of the rack and they would hit the cable carriers. I could have moved the 5Q power transformer up higher, but with a 148lb 7-channel amp at the top of the rack and a 16-channel amp underneath it, I didn't want to mount the 175lb transformer too high. The only other hefty component in the rack is the 100lb +/- Kaleidescape server. They normally aren't that heavy, but this one is almost fully populated - 11 drives out of 12 full.
post #467 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #468 of 775 Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #469 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope to make it! I RSVP'd awhile ago, and am looking forward to it very much.

Mike Kobb
post #470 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Those bars are made by Middle Atlantic. They are lacer bars, part number LBP-1A. They come in packs of 10. The ones with an offset are also Middle Atlantic but I don't recall the part number. They have different amounts of offset depending on the model and also come in 10-packs which is a lot if you only need a couple with offsets and you need different offset lengths. I use them generally to go into the rack for cable strain releif for short components, but I had to use one that went the other direction for the Adcom amp since it was so frickin' enormous. I would have used them like that for the Equi=Tech 5Q, but it was in the lower part of the rack and they would hit the cable carriers. I could have moved the 5Q power transformer up higher, but with a 148lb 7-channel amp at the top of the rack and a 16-channel amp underneath it, I didn't want to mount the 175lb transformer too high. The only other hefty component in the rack is the 100lb +/- Kaleidescape server. They normally aren't that heavy, but this one is almost fully populated - 11 drives out of 12 full.

Lord help you if that rack ever tries to topple over... man, that is some serious weight.
post #471 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Absolutely. At least the Kaleidescape servers are on the bottom and the Equi=tech transformers are not too high up - only 10U of rack space beneath them so their center of gravity is just slightly above the 28% mark on the rack height - certainly a stabilizing force.
post #472 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I think all those cables so neatly tied into a single bundle would be able to support the weight of it all.. (like the cables on the Golden Gate bridge). :-D
post #473 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:

The only other hefty component in the rack is the 100lb +/- Kaleidescape server.

Must be the knew solid gold HDDs

Are the components mounted on trays or rails and do they slide out like a server rack? I know it doesn't really matter since you have access to the back of the rack, but I'd be curious if home theater type racks have that feature. Would make swapping out components real easy for people without space behind the rack.

RE: 10-20mm versus 15mm fisheye, after you finish un-fisheyeing your photos in PS, you're going to be left with a lot less than 15mm of FOV. I'd opt for the 10-20mm (well, I'd actually opt for the 12-24mm but that would require you returning the camera for a Nikon ). And any lens made for digital cameras won't work on prosumer video cameras unfortunately. Would be sweet having that much angle for little cash outlay. I've got the Sony FX1 and found their wide angle adapter to be really good with little distortion, may want to check out what's available to your camera for add-ons.

Your theater room looks great, even more so cause of all the DIY time put into it, nothing beats that.

Chip-
post #474 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post

Must be the knew solid gold HDDs

Are the components mounted on trays or rails and do they slide out like a server rack? I know it doesn't really matter since you have access to the back of the rack, but I'd be curious if home theater type racks have that feature. Would make swapping out components real easy for people without space behind the rack.

I don't have access to the back of my rack. I don't have slide rails for components to slide out, which is an option by the way but only really used for computers. Instead, my entire rack pulls out from the wall so I can access the back of the rack. Works like a charm.

Quote:

RE: 10-20mm versus 15mm fisheye, after you finish un-fisheyeing your photos in PS, you're going to be left with a lot less than 15mm of FOV. I'd opt for the 10-20mm (well, I'd actually opt for the 12-24mm but that would require you returning the camera for a Nikon ). And any lens made for digital cameras won't work on prosumer video cameras unfortunately. Would be sweet having that much angle for little cash outlay. I've got the Sony FX1 and found their wide angle adapter to be really good with little distortion, may want to check out what's available to your camera for add-ons.

Any lens made for digital camera will work with my video camera. I have a Panasonic HVX-200 and can attach any Canon FD, Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, Pantax K, Pantax S, even Arriflex PL lenses with the M2 adapter, which will work on other cameras as well. The only downside is that it isn't a the "run and gun" style of shooting. Check this out:
http://www.redrockmicro.com/

Of course, the Panny HVX-200 isn't at all prosumer. There really isn't anything consumer about it.

Quote:

Your theater room looks great, even more so cause of all the DIY time put into it, nothing beats that.

Chip-

Thanks, but I think a room that looks great does so because it looks great, not because of who did the work. The work should stand on its own without qualifiers.
post #475 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Of course, the Panny HVX-200 isn't at all prosumer. There really isn't anything consumer about it.

Actually they are prosumer as they get, I demoed them when they were new at 6K and they had a brilliant picture but their P2 cards were awkwardly expensive for no more than what you got from them.

You can get them for 3K-4K now and atleast a month ago their cards were still half that price for 16 minutes of video ( this is off memory, and an older by the minute one at that) The one I demoed for a couple days was extremelly heavy ( even my crane had a slight flex at quick pan to 15' high under its weight.

Granted its a crane I built but I built it well

The low res LCD was alittle annoying as well but not a deal breaker like the P2 cards were

I understood the logic of carrying a laptop along but HDV is HUGE and you can fill a 83 gig Hard Drive on a toughbook in no time.

I may still end up with this camera if they improve the P2 but the new JVC 3-chipper has some super sexy options for free and it looks like I have another 4 months to wait and see if the price drops even more on these units. I learned my lesson on the first HDV camcorder and got cold feet on round 2 lucky enough that I didnt need to get one last March like originally planned.

I didnt like the Sonys at all. No 720P which I think looks better.

The 24FPS was a nice feature but the new JVC had this as well
post #476 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

Actually they are prosumer as they get, I demoed them when they were new at 6K and they had a brilliant picture but their P2 cards were awkwardly expensive for no more than what you got from them.

You can get them for 3K-4K now and atleast a month ago their cards were still half that price for 16 minutes of video ( this is off memory, and an older by the minute one at that) The one I demoed for a couple days was extremelly heavy ( even my crane had a slight flex at quick pan to 15' high under its weight.

I think you and I have a different definition of prosumer. Prosumer is generally the upper end of consumer equipment that is used by some pros. There are no real "consumers" using the HVX-200, so it isn't prosumer but just plain pro.

I still see them selling for $5995 at B&H. I think the prices you are seeing would have to be gray market - I got mine for about $4200 but I bought it in Japan. A quick search on Froogle doesn't show anything in the $3K-4K range except for the Chrosziel 450-HVX200K2 which isn't even the camera but a matte box with french flags. Hell, you want to gripe about the cost of a screen, look at how much the french charge for a flag.

16 minutes of video on P2 can be done on 2 x 8GB cards which are $1150 each now - a good price drop from when they first came out. That is, of course shooting 1080p or 720p60. If you shoot 720p24N, then you can get 40 minutes on it but then you are down to 720p and at 24fps at that.

The low res LCD does suck, but how the heck are they going to get an LCD that is that small and have that high a resolution. Rather than use a laptop, you can get an 8" LCD outboard monitor. You need to have at least 1/4 HD resolution if you want to have a chance at maintaining good focus in HD.

I wouldn't call less than 7 pounds extremely heavy, but yes it isn't light - especially compared to all the palmcorders that people are getting used to. All in all, I think it is a smokin' machine, but it certainly isn't geared towards everybody - certainly not the videographer crowd and not even the hard core consumer. P2 workflow is great, but it is geared towards the crowd that is used to working with film, not towards those working with miniDV.

Nothing wrong with miniDV except the bitrate in my mind. I would be an HDV advocate if they could get their bitrate up, but 25mbit just isn't enough - especially when there is likely going to be a recompress downstream for any pro work.
post #477 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
http://www.ccicameracity.com/panasonicaghvx200.html

Oops wrong link, for $3800 you get a buch of hokie crap, they are as low as $3200
http://www.shopcartusa.com/Product/A.../?ic_campID=98

My local Pro shop will let loose for $3500 if I buy a couple P2 cards with it, aint nothing gray about them. Then again I have dumped 30K at their place in last 4 years

Heck I call the Sonys "pro" but mostly anything thats a camcorder is considered Prosumer. They Panny is classified as prosumer in article after article. I did some serious research on it and the JVC and both are still in my sights but that P2 needs to get a little more bang for the buck and I will jump all over the Panny. The new Cameras are coming out soon and all these second generations will be even cheaper which will be good for everyone. The reason most upper consumer wont touch this camera is the weight, you can not steady this camera by hand and that turns anyone but pros off. Lucky for me I have steadycams and cranes even though I am a prosumer that often gets paid for the projects I am involved with, and no its not porn.

What editing software do you use? I would assume youre an Avid type of guy, I use Vegas and some Adobe, if you use either of these check this out http://www.cineform.com/ I have been using this since the inception of HDV almost 3 years ago and it is amazing

And youre right, the French Products are certainly scams arent they. Actually the Matte boxes are always outrageous.
post #478 of 775 Old 08-14-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, I think the Panny is classified as prosumer since it isn't shoulder mounted but there isn't anything geared towards consumer-grade use in it. $3500 is a damn good price for a camera that fine.

P2 will get cheaper over time and it does have some great benefits. For editing, I use Final Cut Studio. I bought a Mac Book Pro for it and that thing is awesome, especially with boot camp. I just wish it had a 2-button mouse/touchpad.

I wouldn't classify French products as scams, but the Matte boxes always seem to be priced pretty high for what you get. I suppose it is R&D and tooling costs divided by a very low number.
post #479 of 775 Old 08-15-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

$3500 is a damn good price for a camera that fine.

That's a steal. My camera was >$5000 several years ago, but I paid it just so I could be the first on the block with a 3 chip mini DV camera (even if it has a consumer lens). It needs to be replaced soon. Hmm-- you say the Panny can use Canon FD lenses?
post #480 of 775 Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, but you need an adapter from RedRock Micro. That adapter allows you to use almost any lens with it. There are adapter rings to allow you to switch from Canon FD to Canon EOS and another to use Nikon lenses. The adapter is rather large, however and certainly not a run and shoot type of unit. It is geared towards the independant film industry.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page