Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 775 Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Reaper,

Yes, that is kind of what I am looking for on the center table. It should be the same height as the arm rests for the seats. I don't want people to bump their elbows on the edge of the table - that would not be very humorous.

The arms of the seats are 24" high, so maybe the box is too tall or the chairs are too short.

Baseboard looks nice, although I would want to see how it looks in the front of the room before I commit on that.

By the way, the doors in the back open into the other rooms, not the theater. That will hide the nickel plated hinges on the other side of the door jamb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 775 Old 02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Well, I am not sure I interpreted your request for the stage properly. You talked about liking it in black and you also talked about adding a wooden bull nose to the stage. You discussed that there should be blue curtains slightly showing behind the proscenium. Is this somewhat like your mental image?

back to work *eek*
post #93 of 775 Old 02-13-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, that is much closer. The proscenium side walls have an angle in them. It should match the angle on the side parts of the state and I was thinking of having wood between the bullnose on the stage and the floor, effectively making it wood on the front part of the stage all the way across.

There are recessed ceiling lights as well - 3 rows of 3. I don't know if those were on the floorplan I sent you - they may be on the electrical plan.
post #94 of 775 Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Liked: 10
I don't mean to hijack Mike's thread, but if anyone would like to see the progress on my theater (which Mike is helping me manage) it has a lot of the same equipment that Mike's has. (Minus some of the speakers and other stuff). I just created a thread with a bunch of photos -- although my construction began several months ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=644460

Here's what my room will look like (at least very similar). Thanks to Reaper for creating the 3D image:

-John
post #95 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, back to reality.

The theater is a long way from looking like Reaper's rendering.

The window for the projection booth has been added. This opening is just a few inches larger than the ISCO III. I don't currently have plans to cover this with optical glass, but it is a strong possibility that I will do so if I can hear noise coming from the projector. The hole is 8"x8" inside diameter and is dead center in the room, 18" from the ceiling to the center of the window.

Here you can see the 2x4 framing behind the wall. The inside of the opening has 3/4" MDF, which should give a surface that is easy enough to paint.

Here the proscenium column is going to be placed. You can see the shape it will be will match the shape of the stage. This will be covered with 3/4" MDF and then GOM on top of that. You can also see here how thick the top of the stage is. That is 2" solid of plywood. The black on the left is a little of the AcoustiBlock that I need to cut off. We placed that between the stage and the walls to keep the stage decoupled.

Here you can see how it is positioned in relation to the soffit.

And now the left one is finished. Once the right one is done and the screen wall is up, we will be ready to paint that part of the room completely black to minimize light reflection and improve contrast.
post #96 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Here is a view of the stage with wood along the bottom and the proscenium walls better following the angle of the stage. Also a view of the back of the room with the additional chair and projection lens:

post #97 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

I'm slightly confused. In your second pic, you have a projector behind the wall and then a second CRT projector on the bottom table in the middle also under the xboxes/ps2?

Am I seeing that right?
post #98 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #99 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Question. Maybe its an optical illusion. On the supports for the proscenium, the framing looks relatively narrow together. How big will the opening be for for the speaker once you MDF it?

Bud
post #100 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I realize that... But would a suboptimal placement of the second projector really provide an accurate comparison??

Just curious really... thats all.
post #101 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Question. Maybe its an optical illusion. On the supports for the proscenium, the framing looks relatively narrow together. How big will the opening be for for the speaker once you MDF it?

Bud

I think his speakers go behind the screen
post #102 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I think his speakers go behind the screen

Ahhh, doh! Perfed screen! Thanks Mark.

Bud
post #103 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I still dont understand all this speaker behind the screen for optimum audio, the center of course I do but the fronts have always baffled me, no pun intended. When we were playing around inside of a 14' screen size it seemed to tighten the sound stage. I am guessing the particular speakers crossovers have alot to do with this because the fronts obviously dont sit right next to the frames and such, or do they?
post #104 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

Yes, I realize that... But would a suboptimal placement of the second projector really provide an accurate comparison??

Just curious really... thats all.

It is a CRT and that is a 0.95 gain screen so I am going to need to have an image size around there to get enough pop that people won't feel it is automatically inferior just due to lack of light output compared to the 3-chip DLP.
post #105 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Bud

The proscenium columns are not quite right in the render yet, but as was already stated, I will be placing the speakers behind the screen and not the side columns.

At any rate, I should have the ability to get a 10" wide opening on the angled part of the proscenium column, which is wide enough for a large number of speaker models, but I think pretty much it will be for looks if I do put that two-tone fabric panel there.
post #106 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

I picked out my sconces, but they are a lot pricey - $480 each on the Internet (MSRP $600 each) so I am staring at a potential bill of $2400 for 5 of them.

If anybody knows how I could save some bucks on these it would be appreciated.

http://www.minkagroup.net/productima...d=8744&div=163

Your sconces are made in Spain. I have priced them before and found them to be $700 so you are getting a deal!

k
post #107 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Progress in the real world is so much slower than it can be on the computer.

Proscenium columns are finished except for the hole for speakers should I decide to put them in - that decision can wait. I am not certain yet if I want to run the two-tone fabric on them.

The left column:

The right column:

The wire in the corner near the soffit is for the smoke detector.

Tomorrow we start building the screen wall. Here is a shot of the front of the theater from the equipment room doorway. I hope to get the central vacuum system finished as well. There will be a port in the equipment room. There is already one across the hall from the entry to the theater, so between the two we should be able to get complete coverage there with a 30' hose.
post #108 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Reaper's renderings with the Batman screen have got me thinking. I have always wanted a secret passage/room in my house and with the location of the door to the theater, I have been strongly considering putting a cabinet in the opening that will double as a secret door to the theater. This would go at the end of a roughly 15 foot long hallway that leads to the entry door to the theater.

I am looking into how wide I can make the door, since I lose a lot of opening depth due to the thickness of the cabinet. I think I can make it work, although I want to add weatherstripping and a threshold for acoustic purposes. I don't need a super high STC since I will have another door before I get into the theater and that door will have much better acoustic properties.

If I go this route, I think I will skip the ticket booth and marquees - or at the very least put the decor of the hallway on hold.
post #109 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 08:36 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Too Cool!

But, why don't you make the "secret" door, the ticket booth...? That picture you just showed kinda looks like a ticket booth - make the mirror class with a curtain behind it...

Just a thought.
post #110 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Problem with that is where it would go - in the hallway near the master bedroom and my wife doesn't want to walk past a ticket booth or theater marquee every day. That cabinet would look good there though and the mirror would be nice.
post #111 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM

u know, I'm really enjoyin' this thread too! Thx for posting all your progress!

I was wondering - do you require an additional power transformer outside your home? I do not know how taboo aud.io.gon is to mention on here, but I saw a guys sytem on there that actually required a 26kva line transformer for his 12+ krell amps 200s, 300s and 600s. It's like the only other system I've seen that even aproaches yours/or your previous one
post #112 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

26kVa?!?! DAMN!

I have one 5kVa transformer right now and I need a second one. 10kVa is enough for my whole system right now, as I won't be running the multiple audio systems at the same time.

My room is wired to be able to run two seperate balanced power systems. I could actually demo Richard Gray's against Equi=Tech both coming off of 240V simultaneously, but that is a very hard thing to A/B due to needing to power down to switch. Besides, there isn't enough balanced power demand in this market to warrant two brands.

I would say that 26kVa certainly surpasses any system I have ever had or likely will have in terms of total power consumption, which by the way is not the object of the game - just an unfortunate requirement.
post #113 of 775 Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The door looks very good
post #114 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 06:09 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Problem with that is where it would go - in the hallway near the master bedroom and my wife doesn't want to walk past a ticket booth or theater marquee every day. That cabinet would look good there though and the mirror would be nice.

Ah, yes. I can understand that.
post #115 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Art, you are welcome anytime, but I think waiting for the theater to be done would be prudent.

I do wonder how many people will actually come out to an open house. I don't have anywhere near the number of AVS readers you have within such close proximity.

Mr P, I just happened to stumble on to this thread and all I can say is wow! I would surely come to an open house with my wife if you would have me. I live right here in NW Fresno (West and Herndon) and would have no trouble. Awesome project you have!

BTW, I don't remember who mentioned it, but yes, Clovis and many areas in Fresno are filled with 'high end homes'. Perhaps because real estate *used* to be cheap...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #116 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I will have an open house when the theater is finished and anybody and everybody will be invited. I will actually have several open house events, but I will try and have one just for the hard core A/V guys from AVS Forum and other such people I have come across. I will try and do that one first so if anybody can't make it they can come to another without feeling like they are imposing.
post #117 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch View Post

I live right here in NW Fresno (West and Herndon) and would have no trouble. Awesome project you have!

BTW, I don't remember who mentioned it, but yes, Clovis and many areas in Fresno are filled with 'high end homes'. Perhaps because real estate *used* to be cheap...

I did a system right around the corner from you, same nearest cross streets, actually - although it was a media room + distributed audio system.

Lots of "high end homes" over there, too.
post #118 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

This will probably be my last update for the next 5 days. I am getting a little vacation time. Luckily, my guys are not getting a vacation and so I hope to see some good progress when I get back.

The screen wall is up although we need to put the top plate on it before it is totally locked into place.

The wood going from the screen wall to the proscenium column is temporary and will be removed when they get the screen wall nailed into place tomorrow. The gap between the columns and the screen wall are big enough for me to get in through. There will be curtains that cover this gap.

The opening goes up to above the soffit, but the screen will recess mount into it and the screen frame is 7.8" thick so the screen will not start until about 4" below the bottom of the soffit. The frame is 7" deep as well, so it will still have 2.5" protruding from the GOM facing of the screen wall.

For scale, the opening is 166.1" wide and 80" tall. The finished visible screen size will be 150" wide and 63.9" tall. That will give a 163.1" diagonal.
post #119 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have a few questons.
is your room a good dimenton? no nulls or peaks?

i am looking to buld a new house a ranch style but that has a sweet layout and design that is 3500 sq ft and will have a full 10 ft basement. and i want 3 sectons storage/work shop game room and theater now i have a nice theater equipment. alot of nice stuff and some hand made speakers.

i am a a.i.a. and i have a value planing company.

ps dont forget the post mix pop dispencer and popcorn machine. i have a cornelous 6 head with surflo pumps a mcanne big mack carbonator 20lb co2 and a 7 pass chiller mounted in a mini fridge<--- best idea i have ever thought of.

if you are lucky enough to be irish you are lucky enough
post #120 of 775 Old 02-15-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishgonzo View Post

i have a few questons.
is your room a good dimenton? no nulls or peaks?

ps dont forget the post mix pop dispencer and popcorn machine. i have a cornelous 6 head with surflo pumps a mcanne big mack carbonator 20lb co2 and a 7 pass chiller mounted in a mini fridge<--- best idea i have ever thought of.

My room has good dimensions, however it is worth noting that there isn't a rectangular room that doesn't have peaks and nulls. Take the speed of sound in feet per second at your elevation and deisred room temperature and divide that by the length of the room. That number will be a frequency that will produce a full standing wave, (along with any multiple of that frequency, 2x, 3x, 4x, etc) and for that frequency if you stand in the middle of the room you will be in a null. At double the frequency you will have 3 nulls at 25%, 50% and 75% across the room on that length. You will even have a standing wave at half that frequency, but there will not be a null (actually you will have one at the wall, but nobody listens with their ear to the wall). Peaks will follow the same math. This is why all rooms need some form of sound treatment.

Rather than go with a soda dispenser, I am putting in a refrigerator with a glass door - this one here:

And this popcorn maker (without the cart - I will get it for outdoor use but not lug it upstairs to take up room in the theater):

I will have a candy counter as well with the refrigerator built into it and the popcorn machine on top. I don't want to have to run plumbing for the drainage line I would need with a fountain drink dispenser. Besides, I can offer a greater selection this way. I could have as many as 36 different brands/flavors of soda with each one having a spot on display. I won't have that many, but I will have more than 6: Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, 7-Up, Dr. Pepper, Barq's, A&W - diet and regular of each is 14 options, plus I will have a few beers in there as well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page