Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 777 Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Reaper's renderings with the Batman screen have got me thinking. I have always wanted a secret passage/room in my house and with the location of the door to the theater, I have been strongly considering putting a cabinet in the opening that will double as a secret door to the theater. This would go at the end of a roughly 15 foot long hallway that leads to the entry door to the theater.

Now that would just be too cool! Go for it man. I would just make things that much more impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 777 Old 02-17-2006, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I sent off an email to the door maker to find out some specifics on the door. I want to make sure I still have a decent sized opening, since it becomes an incredibly thick door when you add shelves to the door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 777 Old 02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Mike:

We've used doors like that in the past. The "cool" factor is pretty high.

I'd advise some caution however. Typically the back sides of these doors are pretty thin and need some beefing up (here comes a green glue suggestion). As well, the cabinets move....frequently...and you don't want your Ming vases on the shelves and do use some caution about rattles.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #124 of 777 Old 02-17-2006, 12:16 PM

If you are doing a batman secret door you need this...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wickedco...recobujpr.html

I Golf
post #125 of 777 Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Here is a link to another door company that you may have already seen... http://www.hiddendoors.com/

I was looking at them to see if I could do something similar, but I didn't end up having enough room to do what I wanted. I was also looking into the batman shakespear bust at the time and you can find them for around $200.

I picked up that exact same beverage center for my bar also. I stumbled onto it in home depot one day. The price was ridiculously cheap compared to anything else I could find and the guy told me that it was just a special shipment that they got in and not something that they were going to stock on a normal basis.

The room is looking great by the way!

Mike

post #126 of 777 Old 02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Might as well one up it and put in a hidden keypad that opens the door on a motor.

Oh by the way will you send me some seeds to the money tree please.

Thanks
post #127 of 777 Old 02-19-2006, 03:23 PM

I am making my own hidden door to my Lobby. Because of limitations in the size of the room and ease of automation I installed a solid core pocket door into a 6" wall. The 6" wall gives me room for the automation such as motors etc. On the outside of the door is my gym and to hide the door I will be mounting a full size mirror to it and surrounding it with a frame. It will just look like a large full size framed mirror until you punch in the correct code on the hidden keypad and then it will open.

But then again......what do I know?

post #128 of 777 Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Dennis, I thought about that, but this isn't the acoustic door to the theater - it is the door that opens into the hallway. Still, I want to beef it up a bit anyway and I will make sure it has nothing that will rattle on it or anything that will fall over and break.

post #129 of 777 Old 02-19-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by the crane View Post

If you are doing a batman secret door you need this...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/wickedco...recobujpr.html

Oh, now THAT is cool. Truly wicked cool stuff. I will have to see if I can work soemthing like that in.

post #130 of 777 Old 02-19-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mike,

That is the exact door company I am going to use. Yes, I am going to install a door like that as long as I can get it to work in my installation. I think it will be just fine, as I have a decent width hallway.

I am now going to have to see about getting the Shakespear bust wired into that. It might be a little tricky, since I won't have a nice place to put it near the door and I don't want to have it on the door itself since the shelves will be somewhat shallow.

Yeah, that fridge is a great deal.

post #131 of 777 Old 02-19-2006, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Oh by the way will you send me some seeds to the money tree please.

Sorry, but they only grow in California and Florida - must be something about the weather.

post #132 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

This will probably be my last update for the next 5 days. I am getting a little vacation time. Luckily, my guys are not getting a vacation and so I hope to see some good progress when I get back.

OK, it's been five days get on it wouldja !

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #133 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Sorry, but they only grow in California and Florida - must be something about the weather.

Would you think that some grow lights would work in a place like East Leroy Michigan?

post #134 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You guys grow a different kind of "money tree" up there in Oregon.

post #135 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah and when they catch fire everybody feels a little slow and hungry. And wait a minute here, I think your thinking about Northern California. Look who your govenor is, I would say most of your state was sampling Oregon Money tree on election day

And actually I had to rib Art a little since hes possibly a Wolverine or a Spartan, and Im a Native Cornhusker

post #136 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Time for another update. I was on vacation in Vegas for a few days and neither my wife or I lost any money. Life was good. Blue Man Group was even better. But, how would things be when I got home?

Well, to correct the accusation that my stellar equipment and well thought out room was going to look boring, we instituted a couple of changes. The front soffit was corved to match the curve of the stage:

It didn't photograph that well from here, but it looks very good. I will try and get a better angled shot in a later photo but my batteries died before I could get a new shot.

Here is a mock-up of the new step treads:

The top of the seating platform will have a similar shape and you can see the outline on the tread near the back. It will be directly over the second line (the one that gives the largest space for the lower tread). There will be seats within 2 inches of the end of the step.

One of the columns for the subwoofers in the rear corners was finished:

Unfortunately, it wasn't made with enough clearance to put it in once the carpet is in and the sound treatments are up, so it will have to be made about 2" shorter - we will figure out the exact amount once I get word back from my carpet man on how thick the carpet will be.

It is a beast, but that is as small as an enclosure I could get to house one of the two rear subs that will bring my surrounds to full range. They will also be part of the more complex LFE system in the room. I will be set up to run either distributed LFE subs or Left/Right/LFE subs. I won't choose the system I want to run until I have played with each of them for a little while.

Finally, the projector window in the back was enlarged a little bit. I had it moved up to within 1" of the bottom of the soffit (when finished) and then increased the
aperature to 12" square, which will give enough room to set any anamorphic lens I want on the shelf for very easy comparison tests.

post #137 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Speaking of the ISCO III, I took a couple of photos of it.

First off, this lens is BIG. I put a soda can next to it to give you an idea of how large this beast is.

The case on the left comes with the lens to prevent it from being damaged in shipping or to store it if you are taking your equipment on the road. The stand does not fit in the case and doesn't have its own case so I guess it has to fend for itself.

Here it is next to the ISCO II. It is easy to see how much bigger this lens is here.

You will notice the silver inside the lens on the ISCO II - that ins't a glitch of photography - there is actually an area inside that isn't anodized black. I would think this has been fixed on later models of the ISCO II, but I haven't brought a new one in recently to check.

Now here is a shot of the back. They look closer in size since you are seeing mostly the mount, but look at how much bigger the opening is on the ISCO III for the entry signal. This will allow for shorter throw projectors to use it, or better yet, allow for longer throw projectors to have little pincushion, a form of geometric distortion.

post #138 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont know Mike looks awful similar to what I did with the steps coming down off the riser and I still look at it like " Hmmmm, I wonder if I like this?" not a good thought six months later.

I think you may see what I am talking about after you're done. I think the only way to fix it is to widen the step so that its not the same as the riser, a little fatter at the wall on the step

post #139 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

And actually I had to rib Art a little since hes possibly a Wolverine or a Spartan, and Im a Native Cornhusker

Michigan alum Mark.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #140 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I ordered my sconces today. I want to give a big thanks to Rob, (user ID: RedArt) who turned me on to Bellacor. They were a little cheaper than my supplier, but they gave 6% back on ebates. Free shipping and no tax is a big bonus. Final price - $412, which is a big drop from $600 MSRP.

post #141 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I dont know Mike looks awful similar to what I did with the steps coming down off the riser and I still look at it like " Hmmmm, I wonder if I like this?" not a good thought six months later.

I think you may see what I am talking about after you're done. I think the only way to fix it is to widen the step so that its not the same as the riser, a little fatter at the wall on the step

I might try a stained wood bullnose on the step to match the one I want to put on the stage. I would hope that gives it a little more pop as well.

post #142 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Kinda figured you had some " Go Blue" in ya, Hopefully next year we can hook up in a BCS, I doubt it would be much more exciting. Both programs dont belong slugging it out in Texas before New Years

post #143 of 777 Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might try a stained wood bullnose on the step to match the one I want to put on the stage. I would hope that gives it a little more pop as well.

Yeah , still tossing around doing the last 6" in a nice wood like a picture frame on each level and step of riser but those long curves really make me consider laziness, one little oops with a router and woodfiller doesnt work.

You might like the look when its done, for me its one of the main things that catch my eye frequently and I am not sure if its a good thing or bad.

post #144 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Mr. P,

Did you get the second delivery I sent yesterday? I tweaked many of the items you mentioned based on the previous delivery but was hoping to see some direction on the soffits or curve above the stage in the thread or in a response. Just wanted to make sure you got it since I sent it from a different e-mail address. For those of you interested, here are the latest images:

reap
post #145 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I got the second delivery yesterday. I will have some better photos for you tonight when I get home, but it will be late. My daughter wants to go to the mall and ride the carousel. Last time we went she didn't want to leave and we rode until the mall closed. I think it will be deja vu all over again.

I have a couple of things I want to look at - I will email you.

post #146 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah , still tossing around doing the last 6" in a nice wood like a picture frame on each level and step of riser but those long curves really make me consider laziness, one little oops with a router and woodfiller doesnt work.

You might like the look when its done, for me its one of the main things that catch my eye frequently and I am not sure if its a good thing or bad.

I think that it will be a good thing. I want to see it done right now, but I have to wait a little while longer still. I don't think I will do 6" of the tread with a wood trim though. That would leave about 5" for carpet and I think that would be silly. I am figuring on either 1" of wood not including the curved portion or having the entire tread wood and am leaning on 1" of wood with carpet on the tread - similar to what I want on the stage.

post #147 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW!

(The preceding comment is not intended to confer, convey or elicit either pertinent or useful information concerning Dedicated Theater Design & Construction. It sole self-serving, sophomoric raison d'être is to slyly establish the credentials of the author as one of the hard core A/V guys from AVS Forum and thus snag an invitation to the first open house. )

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #148 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don, Michigan is a long way from Clovis, Ca!
In fact, about 2500 miles away!

Scott

post #149 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Maybe he can try and tag along with Art and the Mrs. posing as their child for a free flight or at least a companion fare.

post #150 of 777 Old 02-21-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Actually, I suppose I should start thinking about the open house for the new theater. Here is how things are looking:

My projector is about 6 weeks out. Equipment racks are on order - all other gear is already here except the popcorn machine, IMX lens, one set of D-BOX Odyssee Extreme motion simulator actuators and my seats. I still have to order my secret door and it is 4-6 weeks lead time, plus a couple of days to modify, sound treat, paint and install. Unfortunately, I don't think I can order my seats yet and they really will tie the room together. The lead time is 8 weeks, so unless I commit today on them, I won't have them in 8 weeks.

I am fairly confidant that I can have the rest of the theater finished in 6 weeks, or at the very least be able to run by then with just a little bit of trim work needing to be finished. I would like perhaps 2 weeks to let things get broken in and calibrate/tweak all the gear. It should take about that long to get the Crestron guy out here to program the control system and have it all debugged. That will also give me a little time for a few trips I need to make.

The popcorn machine isn't critical and either it can wait or I can get it at the last minute. I am kind of leaving that out there for my wife to get me for my birthday since I am kind of hard to shop for.

Should I plan on the open house date now and just figure that I will probably not have my seats in yet, or should I wait until it is absolutely ready to rock and roll and totally finished & polished? I figure if I push out 8 weeks, I will be at the end of April, so perhaps an open house around there or maybe the beginning of May. My wife is due with our second child at the end of May and I don't want to cut it too close to that time either before or after the party.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page