post #181 of 777 Old 02-24-2006, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post

And it is sunny today in the Carmel area. Cloudless sky, about 66F, but I digress.

Allen

P.S. I am here on business. Business is good.

Funny you should mention it. I was in Carmel on business yesterday as well. VERY nice weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While we're waiting for the next update, what are your plans for the distributed whole house audio system?
post #183 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wow, it has been a while since my last update. I will upload some pictures after lunch.

Whole house audio? Originally the plan was for Russound with the CAV6.6, ST2-XM and SMS3, but now I would like to see about putting some Crestron throughout the house. Still, that will have to wait.

I would like to get the audio from the Kaleidescape sent through the distribution system but major rooms are going to have their own dedicated system anyway.

I think that once the rack is in place and equipment is loaded into it, I will start mounting the whole house audio speaker systems and get them running. Then it will be off to do the back yard and set up the 20' wide outdoor theater screen.

But first, Wendy's. Gotta get a frosty!
post #184 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Surely, with your infinite amounts of wealth, you could afford to send your private jet 'down under', to provide me a means of inspecting your ushers... uhhh... I mean.. "home" theatre?
post #185 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, columns are taking longer than expected. This is because the shape follows the complex shape of the Genesis speakers. While the back subwoofer columns are pretty boxy, I am starting to be happy that I didn't try and follow the complex shape of the rear subs, as they would be really hard to match.

You can see how large they are here and also how much they look like the beginnings of a sarcophagus.

Here you can see how they look in back:

We will add some additional bracing in the back, as I made the decision to mount the surorund speakers to the columns rather than the wall. This gives me a lot more control and ease in setting the speakers in just the right place while at the same time allowing for some better bracing in the columns.

Here are all the columns on one wall. You can see the electrical outlets on the bottom at the back side of each column. There will be a plate near that with the speaker connectors for temporary set-ups to test, evaluate, review and/or compare speakers.
post #186 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The front steps are finished here. (Actually they need a small piece of plywood to thicken up the lip to 2" on the transition to the platform) There is a small curve that takes the step back into the seating platform without a hard corner on the top step.

Now we are looking at what we want to do to the steps back into the equipment room and the bathroom. The black is just roofing felt stapled in place to get a feel of how they would look.

I didn't want to have the back of the room transition to a cubist look while the front of the room was curved on the steps. Tell me what you think about these steps in the back.
post #187 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Now the seating platform has been cleaned off. We will start working on getting the seating platform finished up once we put the last column up. We need to put some access panels in there and then shim up the system so that it is flush with the floor. I also need to have a power plug on the surface for the seats.

Sadly, it is looking like I am going to have to pass on the motorized retractable flight controls. They were going to be in my primary seat, but I was going to have to lose my cupholders to have them. Unless we can figure out a way to get the tilt out cupholders, flight controls and the motors to engage and retract them all in the armrest I will have to skip on them.

Here I have the wiring in the front of the theater. The left channel is finished and the center is half way done. I am waiting on one more spool of wire so I can run all the cables at once. Once the speaker cables are run, I will tighten them up and cut the excess from the zip ties. They will then be painted black along with the rest of the screen cavity prior to putting up the insulshield.

And the first two sconces came in. I opened one up to see how they would look. Sorry, but I couldn't hold the sconce up and take a photo at the same time. I did convince my wife to snap a shot of me holding one for scale.

post #188 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate View Post

Surely, with your infinite amounts of wealth, you could afford to send your private jet 'down under', to provide me a means of inspecting your ushers... uhhh... I mean.. "home" theatre?

You know, I would except that my jet is booked on a trip to Europe to pick up the Swedish Bikini Team.
post #189 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

You know, I would except that my jet is booked on a trip to Europe to pick up the Swedish Bikini Team.

So you've decided on who to use for your ushers then?
Nice choice - they come with a uniform, too!
post #190 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oh, they aren't the ushers. Those are just some of the guests. I heard they have some great projectors that I would want to see up close. I am going to check them for color uniformity.
post #191 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

And the first two sconces came in. I opened one up to see how they would look. Sorry, but I couldn't hold the sconce up and take a photo at the same time. I did convince my wife to snap a shot of me holding one for scale.

Those things are massive. Very cool though.

You know you will get a better hit ratio if you take the picture and have the wife hold the sconces

Ronnie
post #192 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Oh, they aren't the ushers. Those are just some of the guests. I heard they have some great projectors that I would want to see up close. I am going to check them for color uniformity.

And there I was thinking you'd invented this 'team'!

post #193 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #194 of 777 Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM

No wonder I got nothing from Santa last Christmas... he's too.... "busy".

PS: Please do keep the Swedes away until the system can play. Don't want you getting too distracted, I am enjoying this thread.
post #195 of 777 Old 03-01-2006, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

looking great!

Just make sure your remote works with those accessories....
LL
post #196 of 777 Old 03-01-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmkam View Post

looking great!

Just make sure your remote works with those accessories....

And people think Crestron is expensive. Haha.
post #197 of 777 Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Progress is steady, but in smaller chunks now. The rear steps have been mostly finished. Tomorrow they get the final touches and then they will be ready for carpet.

Below you can see the steps down to the bathroom. They are finished except for a final sanding. Notice the step light just above the first tread.

And the steps to the equipment room are very close to being finished - tomorrow morning they will get the final touches. Notice the step light hasn't been installed totally yet - there is a little wood that needs to be put back in there.

Unfortunately, the steps for the equipment room and the bathroom had to be a little different as the equipment room door is a full 3' door while the bathroom door isn't. We also had to get the curve to come back out to give more room as people maneuver around the rear column.

Speaking of columns, here is the inside of one of the subwoofer columns in the back of the room. The power box has been surface mounted so that we do not cut a hole into the sheetrock and ruin the effort put into soundproofing and the power will go back to the equipment room to draw current from the balanced power system.

post #198 of 777 Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I picked up another motion simulator for the room. I will have a Quest Extreme single seat in addition to the Odyssee platform, and the two Odyssee vertical integrated dual recliners.

Only problem now is that I am over on my power budget. The sum of all my equipment now exceeds 10kVa. It is quite possible that I will have to either install a larger EquiTech wall panel or I will have to put in a RGPC PowerHouse for the second balanced power transformer.
post #199 of 777 Old 03-03-2006, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Has your carpet guy seen all these changes? Boy, is he gonna be happy. I would say you can figure on some "pricing" change orders
post #200 of 777 Old 03-03-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mr.Poindexter, I assume that is bondo they are using to fill in and help shape the steps?

Scott

post #201 of 777 Old 03-03-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mark, I plan on running a wood bullnose on the steps and stage. While that is pricey, it will reduce the carpet labor a lot and that will help offset the cost.

Scott, yes that is bondo. It's not just for cars anymore.
post #202 of 777 Old 03-06-2006, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did a little juggling and was able to get my power back to under 10kVa of balanced power systems. I felt a little like Gary Senise in Apollo 13, trying to figure out what to plug where to get my power consumption covered without overloading any given circuit.

I have picked out the doors I want, but they do not come in the size I need. I want these:

They are at Home Depot and have a display with a speak easy and a grill. I do not want those extras, but the door is still very expensive, an 8 week wait and they are made in Guatamala according to the guy I spoke with.

I found a VERY similar door at a local specialty wood shop here. They are going to get 3 of them in the sizes I need (2 x 32" and 1 x 30") and do the woodworking to put in the grooves and distress the door so it matches the one I like and it will be substantially cheaper to boot. They are made with knotty alder, which it just happens is what our cabinets in the entire house are made of. The door will be stained much darker than our cabinets however. That picture just doesn't do the door justice - check it out at Home Depot if you are in one. I hope that my doors come out looking as nice.

I also chose knotty alder for the baseboards and crown. Now I need to pick a stain.
post #203 of 777 Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I got nearly all the low voltage wiring finished. I only need to run a couple RS-232 cables to the front of the room for the screen masking system and the drapery controls, plus the balanced and unbalanced connections for the subwoofers.

Here are the bundles of speaker wires and coax cables just run for speakers (sorry it is blurry):

They filled up two 2" thinwall PVC conduits completely. I had to put another conduit in just to get the last cables run. For scale, here they are bundled:

The dark green cables are 4 conductor cables - used for the Phase Technology dARTS system and for the terminal plates for additional system testing. The brighter cables are 12 ga. two conductor cables for the Genesis system, while the white cables are the single-ended RCA runs for testing locations.

I still need to run video cables to the bathroom for my TV in there, plus all the wires to the table in the front of the room, but those can be run after all the equipment is in place and the room is closer to being finished. I will probably wait for the carpet to be done first.
post #204 of 777 Old 03-06-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Odyssee in the back row is nearly finished. The black under the actuators is the wood we used to bring the platform up to grade. You can see the trough we cut for the smurf tube to get past it. Once we get the power kicked on, we will make sure it is level with the rest of the floor and lock it down into its final position.

You can see the aluminum frame here as well as the black rubber I used to keep the wood from squeaking against the platform frame. The top is two layers of 3/4" plywood. I used to have only one sheet, but once I felt how nice and solid the seating platform is with its 2" top of plywood I decided I had to increase the thickness of my platform top. If I ever decide to make it thicker, i will probably get rid of my entire top and make it with 3 layers of birch - 3/4 + 1/2 + 3/4, as it is lighter and stiffer than plywood but I think I am fine with the weight and it is plenty stiff now from what I can tell.
post #205 of 777 Old 03-06-2006, 10:19 PM

holy crap...im glad i found this thread....amazing stuff...didnt think anyone in the fresno/clovis area actually cared this much about audio/videophileness....im glad i live on sierra/maroa....might have to check it out when its done....
post #206 of 777 Old 03-06-2006, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

OK, columns are taking longer than expected. This is because the shape follows the complex shape of the Genesis speakers. While the back subwoofer columns are pretty boxy, I am starting to be happy that I didn't try and follow the complex shape of the rear subs, as they would be really hard to match.

You can see how large they are here and also how much they look like the beginnings of a sarcophagus.

Here you can see how they look in back:

We will add some additional bracing in the back, as I made the decision to mount the surorund speakers to the columns rather than the wall. This gives me a lot more control and ease in setting the speakers in just the right place while at the same time allowing for some better bracing in the columns.

Here are all the columns on one wall. You can see the electrical outlets on the bottom at the back side of each column. There will be a plate near that with the speaker connectors for temporary set-ups to test, evaluate, review and/or compare speakers.

I like your columns it is somewhat curved. I like sandman's as well but I don't want completly round colums either. I may borrow your idea if you don't mind. How heavy is each column?
post #207 of 777 Old 03-07-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Coming along real nice! What brand of cables did you use?

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #208 of 777 Old 03-07-2006, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.35:1 View Post

I like your columns it is somewhat curved. I like sandman's as well but I don't want completly round colums either. I may borrow your idea if you don't mind. How heavy is each column?

Each column uses just slightly more than a full sheet of 3/4" MDF so they are not too light but still can be maneuvered by one person. We are going to put a thin sheet of masonite on the bottom which will make the very easy to slide around on the carpet when it comes time to pull them out and do anything to the speakers.

Totally round columns have a lot of problems associated with them. You cannot run fabric over them without a lot of structure to hold the curve and that structure is bound to create some problems for the audio. While pretty, curves aren't an ideal solution for a speaker column, IMO. They do work very well for diffusors, however.
post #209 of 777 Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

Coming along real nice! What brand of cables did you use?

I used Genesis cables. I am not big on speaker cables, having watched people fail in a blind A/B/X test on my own equipment in my house when comparing a $1900 pair of cables to a $6 pair of cables.

Still, should anybody be able to pass such a test at my house, I have all the wiring set up such that I will be able to run new cables without tearing into the walls.

I have some Straight Wire balanced interconnects and I will be using those, but I haven't put them in yet. Those will go in some time in the next couple of days.
post #210 of 777 Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XorCizzle View Post

holy crap...im glad i found this thread....amazing stuff...didnt think anyone in the fresno/clovis area actually cared this much about audio/videophileness....im glad i live on sierra/maroa....might have to check it out when its done....

Send me your contact information in a private mail and I will contact you when I have an open house. The theater should be finished in less than 2 months.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page