Mr.Poindexter's home theater under construction - 2.35:1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 777 Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have been keeping a thread with photo updates on my new theater in a thread on the 2.35:1 forum, but I suppose I should have something here as well. I will make this the primary thread for construction of my new dedicated home theater.

The other thread is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=555051

I put new photos several times per week.

The room is 22'x30'x9' with an equipment room/snack bar going in the back on one side with a bathroom on the other side.

I will have stadium seating for 9 with a 150" wide screen when we are finished.

EDIT: Theater construction stopped for a while and I came back recently to remodel the entry, equipment room, snack area and bathroom, plus do some small touch-ups to the main room. I will have new finished photos of the whole build in early May.

EDIT again: Hmm, it is early May. Where are the photos? Oh, here they are...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 777 Old 02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Mike,
This is a great place to keep a picture diary for us. Best of luck as you go !

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #3 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am moving some of the information from the other thread over to this forum, where I think there will be a little more feedback.

Here is the description of the theater I am building:

OK, the room is 30x22x9. There is a full bathroom in the back corner of the theater, so we wil be squaring the wall off and putting the equipment in the other half of the back portion. This will leave a 22x25 room, give or take. Dennis Erskine is doing the acoustic calcs right now and we can hit all the room nodes underneath the platform in the back half of the theater.

The equipment I list will be for the primary system. I should be able to have as many as 5 concurrent audio & video systems in this room, as this will also be my main showroom for my business.

Equipment:

Screen Research ClearPix 2 in white, 2.35:1 aspect ratio, 150" wide with 4 way adjustable masking. The masking will be able to come in from the sides at any ratio down to 1.33:1 and once at 1.33:1, I will still be able to go down to 2.35:1 inside that fame so I can demo other projectors in that room. The screen will have the black backing with it in the event I am testing out speakers that are not dark. The entire screen will be tailor made with acoustically transparent masking and additional damping to quiet the masking motors and hand sewn velour covering on the frame. I will be using both RS-232 and IR to control the screen - RS-232 to tie into a control system and use the Kaleidescape to set aspect ratios automatically for each film's exact measured aspect ratio, plus the remote for TV and D-Theater sources.

Digital Projection Mercury 5000HD 3-Chip DLP: I wanted a 1080p 3-chip unit, but those are not shipping yet. I picked the Mercury 5000HD instead of the Mercury HD because I will use this unit outdoors in the park next door to my house and for that I will need the extra lumens.

Anamorphic Lens: I will be using the ISCO III fixed in place. At some point I would like to have a motorized option, but right now I will stick with the fixed system. Since this is also a showroom I plan on bringing in a Prismasonic H-1200 to compare for potential clients, but I plan on using the ISCO III as the primary lens. I also have an ISCO II and a Panamorph P-752 to do comparison demos with.

Cygnus Imaging IMX lens: I run a very large screen and will use this to allow me to sit closer without the pixel structure affecting me.

Genesis 6.1 series speakers: 6.1 mains, 6.1c center, 4 x 6.1sr surrounds, 2 x s2/12t subs, 1 s4/8 sub. This will be a 7.7 system technically, with each channel running full range and flat to 16Hz, plus using the 7.3 sub setting on the Lexicon MC-12b. It will incorporate the Genesis distributed LFE across the front 3 speakers. I will have lots of options for configuring this and assume that I will need to spend a lot of time dialing it in to see exactly how it sounds best. There will be 5 powered subs in the system.

Lexicon MC-12 Balanced V5 EQ w/mic kit: I don't think this component needs any explanation to this crowd. I will be building in 2 Lexicon calibration mics for the Lexicon Live feature.

Lexicon RT-10: For SACD/DVD-Audio. I will mount this in a table that sits front and center in the theater. From the back row center, I will be able to play discs directly, which will be great for high-resolution audio and for demo of discs not loaded in the Kaleidescape system.

Adcom GFA-7807 amp: 300Wx7 and beefy as can be. I have been running the Lexicon LX-7, their flagship amp, and it just didn't have the balls to drive my Genesis speakers. I haven't tested the Adcom with the new Genesis yet (cables too short and the Adcom is too heavy for me to move by myself) but the Adcom gear never had problems with the old Infinity IRS speakers, so this shouldn't be any different.

Lumagen VisionPro HDP: This will be doing the scaling for the constant height system and can handle the on-the-fly custom ratios from the Kaleidescape. We will have to do a little programming math to get it to do all I want, but it should be able to re-center titles that were not mastered with the film centered perfectly all automatically thanks to the information from the Kaleidescape.

Kaleidescape Digital Movie Player: I have already filled up my first server and am half way to filling up the second server. I will tie this into the screen masking control, lights and scaler so that I can fully automate the theatrical experience. I already have my movie night script made up with custom credits and an animated Cinema Wizards logo. In addition to playing in this room, I will have additional players in the master bedroom, family room and a second theater just outside the main theater. No way I am letting the little kiddies run around in this room.

HD-TiVo: No need to explain this one. Nothing like Lost on tap.

JVC D-Theater: Still the king of the hill for picture quality and it doesn't look like HD-DVD/BluRay format war is going to be worked out anytime soon.

HTPC: I won't actually need this, but if you want to play a video game or WM9 file, do it in style!

D-BOX Odyssee motion simulators: Series 3 controller, 4600p in the back row (formerly called the Odyssee XL) with vertical integrated Odyssee 3-axis system in the front row on both sides. I decided to move the Quest system into the second theater.

Fortress seating, premium leather with motorized recline and wood front panels that tilt out to reveal cupholders. I will also have light panels on the sides for aisle lighting.

Pronto Pro with RF extender for a back-up remote control.

Lutron GrafikEye: 6 zones, controlled by the Crestron system and also under partial command from the Kaleidescape. When the movie hits the final credits, a "raise the lights" command is automatically issued.

Crestron - I originally said "Just enough to integrate the Kaleidescape with the screen masking system, scaler and lighting. No $10K touchpads for me." Then I saw the TPS-15 running a Kaleidescape system. No way I can have a top-end theater and not have that thing. It makes a Pronto Pro look like a complete joke.

Sensio - When you have everything else, why not 3D? Well, maybe a lack of titles. This unit will wait until the theater is totally and completely finished or until they have a lot more titles. I am pretty sure the theater will be finished before they have 2 more titles, but again, why not have it all, right?

Power: Balanced power with either the Equitech 5Q or RGPC Powerhouse. I could actually run both if I want, as I have two 240V 50A dedicated circuits run to the theater for balanced power systems. One Equitech 5Q will not handle my system.

Racks: Middle Atlantic slide out racks will be in the back equipment room. I should have enough equipment to pretty much fill out two 43U racks once everything is finished. (I have to house the whole house distributed audio system in this location as well and I worry that the two racks won't be enough)

Anyway, that is it in a nutshell. I think I have all my bases covered. If I am missing anything, by all means let me know.

post #4 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Finished the sheetrocking with Audio Alloy Green Glue.

Here we are starting to float the floor. We have Acousti-Mat down with 3/4" T&G Plywood on top. I hope to have the floor finished today.

post #5 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here is one side of the seating platform. It is filled with insulation and will double as a bass trap.

On the left side, you can see the entrance to the bathroom. I will have a widescreen flat panel HDTV with audio playing whatever is showing in the main theater. No need to miss any action for a bathroom break. I will not, however, be running surround sound in there.

Here is the conduit we are installing to go between the equipment closet and the table that will have the Crestron control panel on top of it. I will have room in it for several game systems on shelves in the front and room for a universal player in the back facing the second row for playing SACD and DVD-A as well as single DVDs should we have a rental movie or to play some demo discs anybody might bring over. I will have connectors to have more than one universal player there if I need a second one hooked up for any reason.

There will be enough room undr the frame for the Odyssee to have the conduit make a straight shot from the racks to the middle of the theater.

post #6 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was out of town for a few days, but progress was made in my absence!

The seating paltform is almost finished. All we need to do now is wire the power for the lights for the rear steps, the motion simulators and chair lights.

I also want to run a few wires to the 5th seat in the back row, so I think I need another small run of smurf tube. Just to the left of the motion platform in the back row I will have a single seat that can have several different tactile transducers attached so people can experience/demo them compared to the Odysee platform, Odyssee integrated and Odyssee extreme right next to them. I will try and get 4 tactile transducers into one seat - the Aura, Buttkicker, Clark and Crowson.

The front of the seating platform is seen here. I have a 4' wide step on each side, which will leave me enough room to put in 4 seats in the front and a table with some equipment in front row/center. I will probably put my old CRT there just for a reference display for a while and just mask down when I want to run it. I need to see if it can light up the screen enough from that distance first, though.

Here you can see the floating floor is almost finished. It will be done tomorrow and we will start on the stage. I hope for the stage frame to be done by the end of Friday, which will give me enough time to get the sand put in over the weekend.

I think these are probably the most boring pictures to date. My next ones should have the stage ready for sand and then filled, topped with the screen wall being built and then soffits - all sound a little more exciting to me.

post #7 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Front of theater coming along. Floor has been completely finished and the stage is almost ready to be put together. Here you can see the framing lumber has been cut to size.

Now a shot from the back row, center seat location.

Tomorrow I should have the stage frame finished enough to start filling sand in. That allow for the top to be put on Monday and begin work on the screen wall. Once the screen wall is complete and the front soffit is in, we will paint the back of the screen area black (in case there are visible gaps between treatments) and put up sound treatments.

post #8 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I am very tired from dragging bags of sand upstairs.

Here is the stage partially filled. You can see the roofing felt underneath the stage as a damper, plus the black plastic we are lining the framing cavities with and then filling with dry play sand.

The blue tube is to allow me to run speaker terminals up front for the systems I will be testing or using for comparisons and demos. Each one will have 2 sets of speaker cables plus an RG6 for LFE or full range signal. I would like to put in a balanced connection as well - I just don't know if I can find some plugs that will fit in a single gang plate with all the other stuff.

Here is the stage about 2/3 filled. In the front center, right next to the center speaker demo terminals I will have a balanced power output, which will be nice should I want to drag a high-end 2-channel rig into the room and run all the equipment up front.

Monday we will top the stage and then start on the soffits, working our way from the back of the room to the front.

post #9 of 777 Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

On top of the stage, we first put down a layer of roofing felt, and then top that with the wood later. Here you can see my guys cutting the felt.

And now with the first layer of plywood on top.

The next two layers will be put on tomorrow, but they wanted to start the soffits first so I had something new to look over. Pictures of that tomorrow once I have them correct a couple things.

post #10 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 01:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very cool and on a personal note, I am glad you moved it over from the 2.35 forum as I check here much more often. Not sure I will have much input to add that compares with your background and advisors.

Couple of questions - - I know this is partially a show room. What are the isolation needs for this? I saw you mention green glue. Did you do RSIC clips and the rest? Is this an addition or is this being built in to an existing structure?

Thanks for taking the time to post all this.

Dave

|
|
|
post #11 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Can't wait to see further progess, pretty exciting theater!
post #12 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 07:28 AM

Liked: 13
Mr. Pointdexter,

I'd be interested to get a general feel for the pricing of the equipment you listed up above. I'm not looking for specifics just general MSRP since it's hard to tell what items you are using will fit into my budget.

Regards,

Billmac

BillMac
Optoma Projector is dying a slow painful death ...
post #13 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

BillMac, this is from a spreadsheet I have been keeping. I took off the running total, since it is scary. Fortunately my wife doesn't read the forum.

I already have everything down to the Lutron Grafik Eye, but nothing below that on my list. The racks will be ordered by the end of the week. The IMX lens will be ordered when I am getting closer to hanging the projector. The seats will be ordered well after the rest of the theater is finished, as I am getting low on funds and I would rather finish out all the trim work and decor than have to come back later and fix them.

Make/Model MSRP
Genesis 6.1 $9,300.00
Genesis 6.1c $3,300.00
Genesis 6.1sr - 2 pairs $14,400.00
Genesis s4/8 $2,850.00
Genesis s2/12t - 2 subs $5,500.00
Phase Technology dARTS 7.2 1 $17,500.00 (full system with amp & software license)

Lexicon RT-10 $3,500.00
Lexicon MC12B EQ V5 $12,990.00
Lexicon LX-7 $5,996.00
Lexicon 2 Mic Kit $495.00
Lexicon 4 Mic Kit $995.00
Lexicon MC-12/B RMK $50.00
Lexicon RT-10 RMK $35.00
Lexicon LX/CX RMK $50.00

Adcom GDV-850 $1,200.00 (May have changed recently)
Adcom GTP-880 $2,600.00 (May have changed recently)
Adcom GFA-7807 $3,595.00 (May have changed recently)
D-BOX Odyssee 340c $3,000.00
D-BOX 4600p $27,000.00
D-BOX 11858 $4,000.00 (Platform frame for Odyssee 4600p)
D-BOX 4250i $10,000.00 (integrated vertical system for front row - lift equipment only - will handle 2 chairs. I will need another system for the last 2 chairs, but will probably get Odyssee Extreme actuators for those)
DirecTV HD TiVo $699.00 (probably much less now - perhaps $399?)
JVC HMDH-30000u $600.00
Samsung SIR-T165 $500.00
HTPC Callisto ~ $2,000.00 (estimate - includes cost of nice case)
Kaleidescape Base System 1 $22,000.00
KDISK-300 x 6 $5,100.00
Additional Server $12,700.00
KDISK-400 x 2 $1,900.00
KDISK-500 x 2 $1,900.00 (new 500GB drives sell for the same price as the 400GB drives were)

Screen Research ClearPix2 150" 2.35:1 w/ XMASK 4-way adjustable masking, black backing, IR & RS-232 control - tailor made $32,869.00 (Yeah, OUCH!)

Equi=Tech Model 5Q $5,849.00
Digital Projection Mercury 5000HD $24,995.00
Digital Projection HC Lens - 2.4-3.6:1 $2,000.00
ISCO Optic ISCO III $5,500.00 (approximate - fluctuates with exchange rate)
Lumagen VisionPro HDP $2,400.00
Lutron GrafikEye GRX-3506 $1,150.00
Cygnus Imaging IMX Lens $695.00
Crestron Pro2 $3,600.00
Crestron TPS-15 $8,000.00
Crestron ST-LT $700.00
Crestron CHV-TSTAT $500.00
Crestron C2ENET-1 $900.00
Crestron C2COM-2 ???

Fortress Seating Matinee - Premium Leather x 8 $28,800.00
Fortress Seating Motorized Option x 8 $4,000.00
Fortress Seating Aisle Lights x 4 $600.00
Fortress Seating Wood Pullout Cupholder x11 $4,400.00

Middle Atlantic ARX-43 x 2 $1,649.36
Middle Atlantic ARX-WT50 x 2 $132.94
Middle Atlantic Custom Shelves x 9 $1,506.69
Middle Atlantic TRACK50 $307.73
Middle Atlantic TS310 $246.17

Building the theater you want the way you want it: Priceless.

post #14 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looking pretty sweet. That's a really nice sized space you'll have.

Keep the pics coming.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #15 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Mr. Poindexter,

Great sized room! I'm sure this will be another exciting build out to watch, especially with that equipment list. You've got me glued.

Bud

Check out a video of my  

post #16 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

You've got me glued.

Bud

But do I have you green glued?

Soffit construction is continuing. There was some extra wood on the part they built yesterday that was just there for clamping. I will get some pics uploaded later this evening. My wife's birthday is today, so the theater photos will have to wait unless I want to move my bed in there.

post #17 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Glad to see a build of this caliber on this forum. Keep looking for more progress on this very exciting theater.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #18 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

BillMac, this is from a spreadsheet I have been keeping. I took off the running total, since it is scary. Fortunately my wife doesn't read the forum.

I already have everything down to the Lutron Grafik Eye, but nothing below that on my list. The racks will be ordered by the end of the week. The IMX lens will be ordered when I am getting closer to hanging the projector. The seats will be ordered well after the rest of the theater is finished, as I am getting low on funds and I would rather finish out all the trim work and decor than have to come back later and fix them.

Make/Model MSRP
Genesis 6.1 $9,300.00
Genesis 6.1c $3,300.00
Genesis 6.1sr - 2 pairs $14,400.00
Genesis s4/8 $2,850.00
Genesis s2/12t - 2 subs $5,500.00
Phase Technology dARTS 7.2 1 $17,500.00 (full system with amp & software license)

Lexicon RT-10 $3,500.00
Lexicon MC12B EQ V5 $12,990.00
Lexicon LX-7 $5,996.00
Lexicon 2 Mic Kit $495.00
Lexicon 4 Mic Kit $995.00
Lexicon MC-12/B RMK $50.00
Lexicon RT-10 RMK $35.00
Lexicon LX/CX RMK $50.00

Adcom GDV-850 $1,200.00 (May have changed recently)
Adcom GTP-880 $2,600.00 (May have changed recently)
Adcom GFA-7807 $3,595.00 (May have changed recently)
D-BOX Odyssee 340c $3,000.00
D-BOX 4600p $27,000.00
D-BOX 11858 $4,000.00 (Platform frame for Odyssee 4600p)
D-BOX 4250i $10,000.00 (integrated vertical system for front row - lift equipment only - will handle 2 chairs. I will need another system for the last 2 chairs, but will probably get Odyssee Extreme actuators for those)
DirecTV HD TiVo $699.00 (probably much less now - perhaps $399?)
JVC HMDH-30000u $600.00
Samsung SIR-T165 $500.00
HTPC Callisto ~ $2,000.00 (estimate - includes cost of nice case)
Kaleidescape Base System 1 $22,000.00
KDISK-300 x 6 $5,100.00
Additional Server $12,700.00
KDISK-400 x 2 $1,900.00
KDISK-500 x 2 $1,900.00 (new 500GB drives sell for the same price as the 400GB drives were)

Screen Research ClearPix2 150" 2.35:1 w/ XMASK 4-way adjustable masking, black backing, IR & RS-232 control - tailor made $32,869.00 (Yeah, OUCH!)

Equi=Tech Model 5Q $5,849.00
Digital Projection Mercury 5000HD $24,995.00
Digital Projection HC Lens - 2.4-3.6:1 $2,000.00
ISCO Optic ISCO III $5,500.00 (approximate - fluctuates with exchange rate)
Lumagen VisionPro HDP $2,400.00
Lutron GrafikEye GRX-3506 $1,150.00
Cygnus Imaging IMX Lens $695.00
Crestron Pro2 $3,600.00
Crestron TPS-15 $8,000.00
Crestron ST-LT $700.00
Crestron CHV-TSTAT $500.00
Crestron C2ENET-1 $900.00
Crestron C2COM-2 ???

Fortress Seating Matinee - Premium Leather x 8 $28,800.00
Fortress Seating Motorized Option x 8 $4,000.00
Fortress Seating Aisle Lights x 4 $600.00
Fortress Seating Wood Pullout Cupholder x11 $4,400.00

Middle Atlantic ARX-43 x 2 $1,649.36
Middle Atlantic ARX-WT50 x 2 $132.94
Middle Atlantic Custom Shelves x 9 $1,506.69
Middle Atlantic TRACK50 $307.73
Middle Atlantic TS310 $246.17

Building the theater you want the way you want it: Priceless.

Holy Moly....... I would hide that from the wife also.

Nice looking setup. Keep us updated.

Ronie

post #19 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Of all the pricing that you listed, the screen with masking was the biggest sticker shock item! Can't wait to see how this all comes together, good luck.
post #20 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Mike,
That list is simply obscene.......................very nice !!!

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #21 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Mr. Poindexter,
Have you already purchased the Merc HD and when if you dont mind.

We have the same setup except Merc HD instead of the 5000 and we got nervous on the Screen Research which was only a mere 25K with masking 6 months ago and went with the Stewart StudioTek.

I read through your post and must have missed how far away your seating is, I have some pretty interesting things I have found with the Isco III , Merc and such on a 14' screen if your interested

post #22 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Oops , nevermind I just saw this : Cygnus Imaging IMX lens

post #23 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've got this page bookmarked. I don't know about your wife seeing that list, but I'm showing it to mine. Everytime I show her something like that, I'm able to up my budget a bit.

-Joe

post #24 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mark,

Yeah, I knew I had to have that IMX lens. If the DLPs had a pixel fill factor like LCOS I might be able to skip it, but after the simulation tests I ran I decided that it was worth having.

The Screen Research system you were looking at was probably a better "deal" than mine but I had a custom 2.35:1 Supreme Ultimate XMask so I have adjustable top and side masking. Now I can mask for Ben Hur in 2.76:1 format, which I just got. I think that might be the first full film I watch in the theater. At any rate, why did you get nervous? You can make a trip down to my place in a couple of months if you want to risk buyers remorse.

post #25 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Mike,
That list is simply obscene.......................very nice !!!

Art

I feel like that scene in Pretty Woman when Richard Gere tells the sales guy "We are going to be spending an obscene amount of money in your store." Sales guy: "How obscene are we talking here?" Gere: "Very Obscene."

Patrick, yes the screen is certainly a sticker shock item, but really the majority of that is not the screen but rather the masking system. That is also as good as it gets in screens. There is no "step up" from that screen that are made for the same application.

post #26 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 02:13 PM

Liked: 11
Mr. Poindexter,

I started looking at your pictures and then reading your equipment list. I think I then passed out. All of the sudden...................

Snakehunter has a dream that he's building a theater just like Mr. Poindexter. In his dream, he tells his wife that he has already dropped over $300K on just equipment for his theater, and that won't be the last of it. Before he can get all of the words out of his mouth, Snakehunter's wife completely unloads a full magazine from a model 22 Glock into Snakehunter and is quickly reloading incase he reached for a remote control to show her how wonderful the theater will be. She quickly sells the $30K plus screen, replaces it with a piece of blackout cloth stapled to a pine frame, and pays the framers the $30K from the screen sale to bury Snakehunter in his stage filled with 6000 lbs of play sand, never to be heard from again.

Snakehunter wakes up in a cold sweat, jumping on line again to read Mr. Poindexter's equipment list and looking at pictures of his room, and saying to himself, Holy Sh*t, I might as well watch movies on a Sony PSP while sitting in an empty refridgerator box and call that my home theater.

All kidding aside..................WOW....................(followed by a long bout of silence due to being speechless at the awe factor)
stormwind13 likes this.
post #27 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

Mark,

Yeah, I knew I had to have that IMX lens. If the DLPs had a pixel fill factor like LCOS I might be able to skip it, but after the simulation tests I ran I decided that it was worth having.

The Screen Research system you were looking at was probably a better "deal" than mine but I had a custom 2.35:1 Supreme Ultimate XMask so I have adjustable top and side masking. Now I can mask for Ben Hur in 2.76:1 format, which I just got. I think that might be the first full film I watch in the theater. At any rate, why did you get nervous? You can make a trip down to my place in a couple of months if you want to risk buyers remorse.

We may have to go with the IMX, first row seating I can cetainly see Pixel but seem to be the only one probably because I know its there and now find myself looking for it, The Isco III was what changed everything stretching the image that last couple feet. Movies look spectacular though. It was more like 8 months ago we recieved our Clearpix samples and got the quote for full masking, custom 14' 2.35:1 with full masking, you are right though that the masking was the major chunk @ around 15 K back then. It will be fun to have someone else using the same equiptment to go over some subtle details with concerning setup. We are primarily HTPC and I have this dialed in pretty fantastic and always run in econo mode. Are you a Digital Projections dealer and giving MSRP on the 5000?

Where at in Cal? I would surely like to come check it out when its done and get some buyers remorse! Maybe even bring the ole Merc HD and do some comparisons

post #28 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mark, once you see something, you will always see it. The IMX should fix that pixel issue. I have excellent vision for detail and will absolutely be able to see pixels at my seating distance.

You can always add masking later.

I am a Digital Projection dealer and that is MSRP on the Mercury 5000HD. The 5000 is actually $5000 more than the Mercury HD, although I don't think that is what the number was supposed to represent.

I am in Clovis, CA which is just outside of Fresno. Maybe you can come down this fall and catch a football game between the Oregon Ducks and the Fresno State Bulldogs. Then again, you might not be able to wait that long.

I should be tweaking the system in less than 2 months.

post #29 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought you might be a dealer and I thought I might have even spoke to you months ago about Digital Projections and the ole Isco III but maybe I am mistaken.

I talked to alot of folks back then and thought one of them was you.

Since your a dealer you foiled my good info I was going to pass on to you but I am sure you already knew right after Cedia Great product and they kept their promises they made way back in June.

I was starting to wonder if the Mercs were as awesome as I thought they were since very few seemed to be choosing them around these parts but seeing your list it makes me feel alot better on the choice we made. Any particular reason the Mercury was your final choice?

post #30 of 777 Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I was starting to wonder if the Mercs were as awesome as I thought they were since very few seemed to be choosing them around these parts but seeing your list it makes me feel alot better on the choice we made. Any particular reason the Mercury was your final choice?

Can you name a better 720p projector?

I think the reason there are not a lot of people with Mercury HD projectors is that Digital Projection is more firmly implanted in the pro-video business and not as much in home theater. It is also a relatively expensive unit even for the upper half of the AVS surfers and never was a "flavor of the month" like so many other units. Having an MSRP of $30K for a while was pretty much the biggest impediment to it being that widespread and finally there are just way too many people hung up on resolution to the point they think it is the most important feature to the point of excluding anything that is of lower resolution from any list regardless of its other virtues. Not very smart, but reality none the less.

I was thinking very hard about getting a Mercury HD, but I want to run outdoor theater as well and will eventually get another projector for the main theater. I figure I will get a 3-chip 1080p DLP and relegate this one to outdoor events where I would need additional brightness.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page