1Likes

post #1321 of 1328 Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow - dug up quite an old thread biggrin.gif

The top is a solid piece of Ply covered in the Dazian fabric. Everything else is just a frame covered in Dazian and fiction fitted.

Got your DM..... unfortunately I don't have any additional pics of the screen wall. It’s just a mix of 2x2 and and 2x3 that was ripped with angles on a table saw. Here are a few pictures of corners I just took.

SAM_2091_zps35af293e-1_zps5d42dd37.jpg
SAM_2092_zps06eeb59d.jpg

Althou the speaker platforms appear to float they are pretty rigid.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1328 Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

The top is a solid piece of Ply covered in the Dazian fabric. Everything else is just a frame covered in Dazian and fiction fitted.

Yeah, yours is very close to what I'm doing so really appreciate it. I'm planning on putting the sub in the middle section though but I'll tinker and see. Since I have towers up front, doesn't seem like it would be a great idea to have them on a shelf like that although that would let me tuck the sub underneath. I did try it with the sub over there and the tower on top of it for a goof and the sub right on the wall was giving that wall a run for it's money, lol. Maybe won't be an issue once I have my paneling up but so far the bass seems to work best when my sub is just a little left of that front right tower.

Just noticed we have the same carpet! Nice choice smile.gif

Thanks!
post #1323 of 1328 Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are able to put sub under screen I'd do that, I didn't have enough height to do so.

JikkJack had same speakers/sub as me and LFE was better not being in the corner.

post #1324 of 1328 Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10

I am in the process of building a stage that is similar in design to yours. The stage has a 1/2 gap between the walls and I was also planning to have a separate sand filled "decoupled" area on each side of the stage for the speakers. The center compartments would be filled with insulation as you did. Now, prior to filling the stage and putting on the decking, I am having second thoughts. I am concerned with having the speaker bays "floating" in the stage. By cutting through the decking so that they are fully decoupled, I am wondering if they stay in place or eventually shift to touch the rest of the stage. I didn't want to haul 10 times as much sand down to fill the whole thing like Bacon Race did but now I don't know. I have tried to attach pictures so that you can see what I am talking about.

After doing it the way that you did it, have you had any regrets?

Thanks!
post #1325 of 1328 Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I do regret doing it this way..... Not that its has shifted or think its impacted on sound but more I am limited in my sub placement to the corners which is not ideal.

If I was to do it again I would build a strip 18" to 24" wide across the wall, fill that with sand. Then build the rest with just insulation.

Good Luck.

Mark

post #1326 of 1328 Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 10
When you say 18-24" strip, are you talking across the back wall and leave the front insulation? Did you ever move the speakers to the "insulation" area just to try it and notice a difference ? Do you think that the sand area needs to be decoupled from the insulation area or is just decoupling from the floor and walls enough?
post #1327 of 1328 Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Gross View Post

When you say 18-24" strip, are you talking across the back wall and leave the front insulation?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Gross 
Did you ever move the speakers to the "insulation" area just to try it and notice a difference?
No because my proscenium design did not allow for moving along wall bur another builder with same speakers/sub had better LFE with sub a 1/3 way along wall
Quote:
Do you think that the sand area needs to be decoupled from the insulation area or is just decoupling from the floor and walls enough?
I'm no expert but would think either will work providing decoupled from the walls.

post #1328 of 1328 Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Gross View Post

When you say 18-24" strip, are you talking across the back wall and leave the front insulation?
Yes
Quote:
Did you ever move the speakers to the "insulation" area just to try it and notice a difference?
No because my proscenium design did not allow for moving along wall but another builder with same speakers/sub had better LFE with sub a 1/3 way along wall
Quote:
Do you think that the sand area needs to be decoupled from the insulation area or is just decoupling from the floor and walls enough?
I'm no expert but would think either will work providing decoupled from the walls.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction