Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 451 Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek View Post

Why does Home Depot's lumber selection have to be so terrible? Do they simply buy all the dross that's left over from actual lumber yards?

Were you going to the BBD/Highwoods Preserve location? If so, excuse me, I was building a theater for a customer and salvaged all the good 2x4's on the 23rd. I needed them to be extra straight so I can rip them in half to match the 1" linocoustics.

Sincerest apologies,
David.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 451 Old 11-27-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatt View Post

Ok, this is all great stuff. However, with all the problems you had with moving the HVAC vents around (I believe you referred to it as a "nightmare"). Why in all that which is wholly in the DIY world are you pushing me to move my A/C return? I guess misery loves company as they say.

The drywall sandwich you have there looks delicious. Is there GG in between each layer?

If your tired of HD for lumber, you might want to try Cox Lumber on the corner of 54 and 41, I know it probably isn't as close as HD is to you (its practically across the street from me ), but it might have better selection. I don't know for sure but they seem to have a larger selection than HD does.

Progress is looking good overall, keep up the good work.

I know if I don't do the work right the first time, I'm going to either want to go back and redo it, or hate myself for not doing it right the first time. Doing it the lazy way only to have to redo it later is a false laziness. Doing it right the first time is the truly lazy way, thus making laziness a virtue. Laziness is one of my superpowers, and I try to keep it that way.

There's GG between each of the layers of drywall. Oh, and yes it's still gooey. I suspect that it will be gooey long after humans have become extinct.

As for Cox Lumber, their hours seem to mesh up quite nicely with whenever I'm at work, whereas Home Depot is open when I need them to be open. Hence, I wind up sifting through their junk lumber.
post #183 of 451 Old 11-27-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_pflanzer View Post

Were you going to the BBD/Highwoods Preserve location? If so, excuse me, I was building a theater for a customer and salvaged all the good 2x4's on the 23rd. I needed them to be extra straight so I can rip them in half to match the 1" linocoustics.

Sincerest apologies,
David.

Nope, this was at the Zephyrhills location. When I see a poorly stacked pile, I immediately just push that entire pile over and then start sifting through the unsifted pile. It looks a bit unorthodox and quite noisy, but it's eventually effective.
post #184 of 451 Old 01-04-2007, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I should probably bump this thread before it gets archive or something.
post #185 of 451 Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I should probably bump this thread before it gets archive or something.

Or just give us an update. Us minor geeks need to live vicariously through the Uber Geek.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead
Chiahead's Man Cave - Indexed
Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #186 of 451 Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 PM

thegeek: "Why does Home Depot's lumber selection have to be so terrible? Do they simply buy all the dross that's left over from actual lumber yards?"

Green lumber; that's why contractors don't break the stack until they're ready to use it.

Also, I used to think the same about The Slow Depot and Slowe's - until I took a delivery of the worst 2-by stock I've ever seen (from a local lumber yard).
Nearly every piece looked like it'd been stored on the ground for months, over half the pieces (80) were cut from the trees outer edge. In other words, no screwing/nailing edges on either side.

At this point, I'm grateful to have a place where I can hand select the best materials assembled under one roof.

Sincerely,
Winkelmann

P.S. I am not affiliated with Home Depot or Lowe's.

Please visit The Cuban Underground
post #187 of 451 Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann View Post

thegeek: "Why does Home Depot's lumber selection have to be so terrible? Do they simply buy all the dross that's left over from actual lumber yards?"

Green lumber; that's why contractors don't break the stack until they're ready to use it.

Nah, they can't afford to stock the good stuff, they have to pay for Nardelli's exit package.

P.S. I almost was affiliated with Home Depot last year, but saw the writing on the wall.
post #188 of 451 Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Nah, they can't afford to stock the good stuff, they have to pay for Nardelli's exit package.

P.S. I almost was affiliated with Home Depot last year, but saw the writing on the wall.

Yeah, why bother winning the lotto when you can become CEO and then quit or get fired?

Meanwhile, HD runs their IT shop on Informix databases (I'm an Informix DBA these days) and they've got to have some kind of employee discount worth exploiting. Hrmm... thoughts abound.
post #189 of 451 Old 01-05-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

"I pity the fool what doesn't give me a $300 H.D. gift cetificate!

Crazy fool, Murdoch!"

PS: Post an update.

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #190 of 451 Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah, why bother winning the lotto when you can become CEO and then quit or get fired?

Meanwhile, HD runs their IT shop on Informix databases (I'm an Informix DBA these days) and they've got to have some kind of employee discount worth exploiting. Hrmm... thoughts abound.

Your kidding right? Must be something in the water around here. I am a Microcrap SQL Server DBA. I wonder if all DBA's have this nasty addiction for home theaters?
post #191 of 451 Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 AM

Meanwhile, if anything gets buy a CEO's radar, they're likely to get served up, stand trial, and hang for it. Their contracts usually stipulate this, as well as, great severance packages which were agreed upon by the board members prior to hiring. These are the pros and cons of going public. The complaint by stockholders, in spite of record growth, was that HD stock wasn't paying dividends. So, they bought his contract out. Seems a lot like my brother-in-laws last divorce.

post #192 of 451 Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your kidding right? Must be something in the water around here. I am a Microcrap SQL Server DBA. I wonder if all DBA's have this nasty addiction for home theaters?

Hrmm, none of the DBAs I know are into home theater. I did used to sorta work with John Kotches. He's...

A. Kinda into home theater just a little bit.

B. A seriously good sysadmin. He was on another team, but when he was mentioned it was with hushed tones and awe. He also taught me some pretty good info that scored me major points during the interview with the company I'm with these days.

C. Smarter than you and I put together being that for his last theater, he had contracted out.

That's about it as far as folks I know who are into this madness. Then again, at the place I work they keep taking coworkers away so the pool of folks I see on a daily basis is constantly shrinking, as opposed to changing a little bit.
post #193 of 451 Old 01-07-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alrighty, I fixed my drilling oopsie. I still have to put the wall back together but the wiring is back to normal. I was all set to try splicing the wire in the wall with a direct burial splice kit. However my father-in-law noticed that about a foot away and in between the same set of studs was the prewire for the sconce light, and with all the extra drywall there's plenty of extra room in that box. So, I just ran the existing wire to the box and ran the new wire between the outlet and the sconce box as well. Whammo, both fixed and actually compliant with those rules and stuff.

Meanwhile, today I'm tearing into the ceiling so we can add additional bracing in for the tray ceiling. As it currently stands, it almost flexes.
post #194 of 451 Old 01-21-2007, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alrighty, update time.

The current trick is beefing up what is holding up the tray outline. I've got a few added additives here.

The beams would flex about half an inch which didn't leave me feeling too good about them. To remedy this, I've poked some holes in the ceiling so I could loop some (amazingly sharp) metal bracing over the roof trusses and tie in the tray outline. There are six of those setups in the room. With those things in there and under slight tension, the beams do not flex downward. I've tried hanging from them, and they won't budge.

Meanwhile, there's one main beam that holds up the other two big beams. Incidentally, this main beam is the one that's held up in the weakest fashion. There's a bucket hanger that had to be modified a bit in order to fit. Hence, there's just four nails holding the bucket against the wall, and that's it. Not so good...

Here's the retrofit. I've got two somewhat impressive metal thingies in there held in by probably far too much. The L-brackets are held to the wall with a lag screw that goes into the 2x4 on the other side of the drywall. Then there's more screws holding the bracket against the wall. I don't know what those screws are made out of (adamentium, parts that fell off a space ship, pieces of my skull, who knows), but they're the only thing I've found that will snap the screw bits I've been buying as of late. There's then an insane half inch hex bold that's binding the two L-brackets together.

Lousy picture, but you can see that the brackets are actually bent into shape by the big bolt.

Detail of the contraption.

It's amazing what you can buy for $10 these days. If you ever get a chance to use one of these things, they're a hoot. The fascinating thing about them is that you can't really tell how hard you're torquing something down. Since it repeatedly hits the nut just a little bit, you don't even notice that all of a sudden it's victimizing whatever you're tightening far worse than you could ever hope for with just straight up hand tools. Seriously, no idea if it's crushing what's underneath, melting the bolt, turning carbon into diamond... no idea. I highly recommend these things if you're looking for overkill.... much joy.
post #195 of 451 Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Wow that is quite a structure you got there! Reminds me of the lofts people used to build in thier dorm rooms. Put a couple matresses up there and you can have one hell of a sleep-over. What is your plan to fix/hide the metal straps attached to the joists?

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #196 of 451 Old 01-22-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

My GOD, and I thought I was bad, your just in a league by yourself, very good work!

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #197 of 451 Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Wow that is quite a structure you got there! Reminds me of the lofts people used to build in thier dorm rooms. Put a couple matresses up there and you can have one hell of a sleep-over. What is your plan to fix/hide the metal straps attached to the joists?

Yeah, I remember those loft structures. They were usually pretty tough because they had to be free-standing and otherwise poorly engineered, much like my tray ceiling.

The entire structure is going to be covered with either Dazian Expo Cloth or GOM after patching the holes, finishing up the tray portion and stuffing a bunch of fiberglass up there. I figure a massive bass trap is probably a good start.
post #198 of 451 Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I built a bed loft structure in college. Everything was very stout - I even through - bolted using 3/8" bolts or so. The only thing I forgot was the diagonal bracing. I was about to go to sleep up in it one night - and reached down towards the ffot of the bed to grab the blanket. I guess I was a bit aggressive in my movements, and the whole structure began to fold down like a pair of scissors. It was up pretty high, and I just rode it down on top of my roomates desk. (He wasn't in it) The only light in the room was his desktop light. "Was" being the key word. The ride down kind of sounded like a big tree being felled. The landing was pretty noisy too, with lots of smashing, and eventually the light bulb bursting. Then it was silent, and dark.

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #199 of 451 Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post

My GOD, and I thought I was bad, your just in a league by yourself, very good work!

Careful, while he is in a league by himself. He likes to come into your threads and get you to attempt to do the same type of maddening stuff he is doing. Geek is a permanent fixture in my thread it seems like.
post #200 of 451 Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post

Quote:

Careful, while he is in a league by himself. He likes to come into your threads and get you to attempt to do the same type of maddening stuff he is doing. Geek is a permanent fixture in my thread it seems like.

Yeah, I tried to find mastiff34's construction thread, and perhaps convince him to do something exceptionally crazy, however I couldn't find any main thread of his. However, from reading some of his single topic threads, it's apparent he's installing a bathroom. That's an entirely different level of crazy.

Our master bathroom is partially ripped out because of the tiniest little boo-boo by the plumber when assembling the pipes. In the shower, we have two shower heads with separate controls. Well, these controls can also be used with a bathtub, but aren't so the pipe leading down from them are just capped off.

Well, one of them wasn't sealed perfectly and had a tiny drip to it. Even better, the novelty of having two shower heads wore off and the bad one got only minimal use in the beginning. So the between the fact that the drip was quite minimal, and the lack of use, this sat for quite a while. Later on into the year I decided to start using the other shower head. I have no idea why, I just did.

Well, eventually we noticed that one of the walls had some kind of green water dripping out and the baseboards were turning black. Things turning black are on my short list of bad signs. For extra fun, it would take about 12 to 18 hours for the water to seep over and come out the wall, so it was tough to draw a correlation between the shower usage and the water oozing out.

When the walls got ripped out, it smelled a bit better than death, but not by much. The builder couldn't get the tile from their supplier, but I was able to hunt it down under a different name. Oh yeah, this was reported to them in September, but we still don't yet have a functioning shower.

Anyway, mastiff34 try to do a good job or else this will be your reward...
post #201 of 451 Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I tried to find mastiff34's construction thread, and perhaps convince him to do something exceptionally crazy, however I couldn't find any main thread of his. However, from reading some of his single topic threads, it's apparent he's installing a bathroom. That's an entirely different level of crazy.

Our master bathroom is partially ripped out because of the tiniest little boo-boo by the plumber when assembling the pipes. In the shower, we have two shower heads with separate controls. Well, these controls can also be used with a bathtub, but aren't so the pipe leading down from them are just capped off.

Well, one of them wasn't sealed perfectly and had a tiny drip to it. Even better, the novelty of having two shower heads wore off and the bad one got only minimal use in the beginning. So the between the fact that the drip was quite minimal, and the lack of use, this sat for quite a while. Later on into the year I decided to start using the other shower head. I have no idea why, I just did.

Well, eventually we noticed that one of the walls had some kind of green water dripping out and the baseboards were turning black. Things turning black are on my short list of bad signs. For extra fun, it would take about 12 to 18 hours for the water to seep over and come out the wall, so it was tough to draw a correlation between the shower usage and the water oozing out.

When the walls got ripped out, it smelled a bit better than death, but not by much. The builder couldn't get the tile from their supplier, but I was able to hunt it down under a different name. Oh yeah, this was reported to them in September, but we still don't yet have a functioning shower.

Anyway, mastiff34 try to do a good job or else this will be your reward...

Guess we got kinda lucky then. In our master shower, our builder just put the shower seat in the wrong place (on the side instead of the corner). Luckily all the plumbing and pipes seem in good working order. We have the dual shower heads as well and while not used all the time they do get used, I guess more often than yours did.
post #202 of 451 Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 PM

When we built our house I specified that the wet wall backed up to an interior sheetrock wall for plumbing access. Hope they get it fixed quickly.

post #203 of 451 Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Part of it actually was on an interior sheetrock wall. Unfortunately that still doesn't change the fact that water kinda runs rampant and feeds mold. It just means that it's easier to rip apart.

Some of the plumbing here was behind tile of course, but none of it was running inside of the exterior block wall.
post #204 of 451 Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Doh, see you go away on business for a cpl of days and you find nothing but destruction left!

I wish I had a picture, but I can definitely relate...

We built our new home and had one of those jacuzzi tubs installed in the master bath, you know the ones that hold about oh say 70 gals of water or so? Well, after a few months went by, my wife and i decided to use the jacuzzi tub and everything went well ( keep it decent ! ).

Well, it turns out the freaking plumber never hooked the drain spout from the tub to the drain pipe in the floor, so ALL the water drained right thru my 1st floor ceiling and basically destroyed my living room. And no, I have no clue how the builder passed final inspection, it still baffles me.

Oh what fun that was....

AS for a Mastiff construction thread, it doesn't really exist, but I should start one I been working on it for like 2 years and still not at the drywall stage... It's really 3 pieces
a library/office, full bath and the dedicated theatre. Besides i am affraid of the thegeeks
Jedi mind trick to make me cause more destruction then I already have.

Anyways back on topic... MORE PLEASE !!!

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #205 of 451 Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, Mr. Geek. Are you a golfer? The reason I ask is because there is a company that makes golf clubs with your name out there...
http://www.geekgolf.net/

Scott

post #206 of 451 Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nope, not a golfer. I've tried it a couple of times, but I don't need another hobby. Also, the contact there seems to be named "Steve". Much like yourself, I too am not a Steve. Specifically, I'm actually one of those "Paul" things. We're an odd lot.
post #207 of 451 Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I did manage to get it out without resorting to a new hair style reminiscent of an 80's punk band. Remedy was achieved via direct application of Zep commercial citrus cleaner, followed up by some of MrsGeek's gooey hair conditioner. I had been using the Zep to get the GG of of various things during the project.

Hey, great tip! I work for the Company that makes Zep products. Our citrus product has about twice the amount of Di-Limonene (citrus cleaning ingedient) as other over-the-shelf products.

I think I'll add this use to our catalog.
post #208 of 451 Old 02-06-2007, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My buddy came over and the ceiling is over the stairs is now framed out. This is a biggie for me as everything else now requires that the stairs get drywalled and insulated next. I need to have the ceiling over the stairs done so that the wall can get insulated at sealed, so that the ceiling can get done, so that the proscenium and riser can get done and so on.

I have the opportunity to add in an extra light over the stairs, so I'm going to wire that up before proceeding with the drywall. The drywall for the stairs is pretty much the only part of the project where I have to do an actual good job and tape/mud/sand/prime/texture/paint. The door and the wall above it still has to go in which means that the drywall will stay unfinished for a while, however at least it will mean I can move on to better things for the meanwhile.

Now, I'm going to insulate the ceiling over the stairs. I can either deal with the itchy pink stuff, or I can try the gray death again. The gray death is a lot nicer to work with, but the ceiling is sloped. One idea is to have chunks of OSB sticking up to make partitions so that the gray death can be poured in and stay sorta in one place. Think it's worth it, or should I just get itchy?
post #209 of 451 Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The pink stuff is not nearly as itchy as it once was. I'd say its easier to work with.
post #210 of 451 Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Why does Home Depot's lumber selection have to be so terrible? Do they simply buy all the dross that's left over from actual lumber yards?

Here's a tip I learned from a manager at HD -- have them deliver the lumber. They pick the best lumber for deliveries so that they don't have to go back and pick up any returns.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." William J.H. Boetcker
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page