Advertisement

post #542 of 1641 Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*drool*

Can't wait to hear your opinion on the Oppo!

On a totally unrelated note, I think I have the exact same speakers you have in the background of that pic for one of my PCs.
post #543 of 1641 Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

*drool*
On a totally unrelated note, I think I have the exact same speakers you have in the background of that pic for one of my PCs.

I think they have pretty good sound for minimum space. There was a stock liquidator locally that sold them at a Saturday computer flea market for a pretty good price and I picked up a second set for the Misses.
post #544 of 1641 Old 05-13-2009, 06:27 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Update on the OPPO:

I have it in a temporary slot in my rack. I have it hooked up to my projector and I'm getting a picture. But something really strange is going on with my multi-channel analog inputs on my receiver and I can't get any sound. I've checked with another source and same issue so I'm pretty sure it is an issue with my receiver. I have the manual out and I'm seeing if it is something that needs setting. It's an old Yamaha RX-V650 and I haven't ever tried to use the analog inputs until today.

One piece of the diagnostic puzzle is that you have to hit the multi-channel button for the inputs to work. So I can hit it and have sound but then over about 15 seconds it slowly fades out. I can exit that listening mode. Hit the button again and it does the same thing. WTH?

If I can't get it firing tonight, tomorrow I'll plug in an Outlaw 950 I have.
post #545 of 1641 Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ok, now that you've finished watching "Lost" (pretty amazing huh) let's get that Outlaw fired up !
post #546 of 1641 Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Actually I time shifted so we could watch that other show and just now finished. I'm just seeing if anyone had any bright ideas. No pun intended.

My Outlaw only has 5.1 analog in. So while I have will have sound It won't be 7. I've been waiting for the new Outlaw pre/pro or the new Emotiva pre/pro, I might have to look at getting something sooner than I planned. Or pick up something in the interim.
post #547 of 1641 Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I've been waiting for the new Outlaw pre/pro or the new Emotiva pre/pro, I might have to look at getting something sooner than I planned. Or pick up something in the interim.

And so the endless upgrade process begins...

post #548 of 1641 Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

However I've reached the point where I can't use the flooring stapler and now the progress gets a lot slower.

Boy, do I remember that problem. I installed some pre-finished hardwood flooring in my house and was left with the longest wall in the room for the last few courses (where you couldn't use the flooring nailer). What a pain! And, no Logan, I did not nail my own shoe (a near miss doesn't count)!

But that still doesn't excuse the update delay (but the new Oppo does ).

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #549 of 1641 Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

OK, the blu-ray has found it's permanent shelf and I ended up just using the optical output to my receiver connection for now. Watched Watched Incredible Hulk movie that was 5.1 content. My receiver came up with the phantom rears.

Review

Speed: I know there has been a lot of complaints about Blu-ray player start up times, I was very happy with the speed at which I got to the Top Menu screen.

Physical: The thing is solid and heavier than I expected. The remote is back-lit and easy to use. As reported the power cable is a relatively loose fit but works just fine. It is identical to the power cable on the 983.

Menu response is good and setup menu items available while the movie is playing. Video adjustment is on the fly and the menu minimizes on the screen so you can see what effect the changes are having on the picture.

Picture, looks like I expected on Par with the best satellite HD material I've seen.

Sound, sounded tighter and better localized where it should be.

No problems to report after previewing two Blurays and One SD.
post #550 of 1641 Old 05-14-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

OK, the blu-ray has found it's permanent shelf and I ended up just using the optical output to my receiver connection for now. Watched Watched Incredible Hulk movie that was 5.1 content. My receiver came up with the phantom rears.

Review

Speed: I know there has been a lot of complaints about Blu-ray player start up times, I was very happy with the speed at which I got to the Top Menu screen.

Physical: The thing is solid and heavier than I expected. The remote is back-lit and easy to use. As reported the power cable is a relatively loose fit but works just fine. It is identical to the power cable on the 983.

Menu response is good and setup menu items available while the movie is playing. Video adjustment is on the fly and the menu minimizes on the screen so you can see what effect the changes are having on the picture.

Picture, looks like I expected on Par with the best satellite HD material I've seen.

Sound, sounded tighter and better localized where it should be.

No problems to report after previewing two Blurays and One SD.

Any reports on value yet? I guess it is tough for you without real previous BluRay experience (I think), but with the higher price tag what are your thoughts?
post #551 of 1641 Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Value. You are absolutely right that I have only seen brief demos of other BR machines so it is hard to compare. One thing I can comment on is the customer service and on-line cult of Oppo users. In my opinion the assistance and support of OPPO phone and e-mail support has been A+, I even had a chat yesterday with a guy that wasn't reading from a script but actually knew about the machine and discussed my problem. Try that with Panasonic or Sony. I also find the on-line community quite useful. I would assign a 25% premium for those items.
post #552 of 1641 Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Value. You are absolutely right that I have only seen brief demos of other BR machines so it is hard to compare. One thing I can comment on is the customer service and on-line cult of Oppo users. In my opinion the assistance and support of OPPO phone and e-mail support has been A+, I even had a chat yesterday with a guy that wasn't reading from a script but actually knew about the machine and discussed my problem. Try that with Panasonic or Sony. I also find the on-line community quite useful. I would assign a 25% premium for those items.

WOW, thats amazing value on support alone. You are right though, in todays market, to find good support techs is next to impossible until you reach at least 2nd and 3rd tier. Truthfully, I have the sony s350 and while my use has been limited while I complete my space, the load times arent as bad as they seem. Yes it is longer than a SD player of old, but by the time I put in a disc get to my seat and get things ready to play enough time has elapsed that the disc is ready to play.

How is the situation with the audio, have yu gotten it ironed out yet or are you still just going 5.1?
post #553 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

WOW, thats amazing value on support alone. You are right though, in todays market, to find good support techs is next to impossible until you reach at least 2nd and 3rd tier.

How is the situation with the audio, have you gotten it ironed out yet or are you still just going 5.1?

From everything I've read, keeping up with the Bluray disk idiosyncrasies is an ongoing task that only a company with a commitment to finding solutions and issuing firmware changes is in a position to handle. Rather than buy a big name brand that will be replaced in a year with another model I have confidence that OPPO will support his player for a much longer window before they release a replacement model.

It looks like I may have to wait for my Pre/pro upgrade before I can enjoy the the full 7 channel master sound. If I go Optical out I'm limited to what my receiver or pre/pro decode which is 5 and a make believe rear. If I go analog out I am limited to 5.1 unless I figure out what is bothering my Yamaha. Perhaps it wasn't designed to function as a Pre. I'm not using the amp section and maybe it won't take the analog inputs and pass to the analog outputs or something like that.
post #554 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Hey BIG, you probably won't be able to get more than 5.1 audio from the analog ports either. I'm pretty sure (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to get true 7.1 LPCM audio, as well as DTS-HD, etc. is over an HDMI port. All the other "older" sound connections don't have the bandwidth available to support 7 channel audio, which is why you're stuck with 5.1 and your receiver pushes out the phantom rear surrounds you mentioned.

Similar issue with the 1080p video content. Blu-ray players require the HDMI port for certain encryption mechanisms between the player and display device. If the player can't verify the encryption over HDMI (in the case of connecting via component cables), the player will downsample the video to 1080i.

All minimal quirks aside, it sounds like a pretty decent piece of hardware. And the quality of service you mentioned is especially important for blu-ray players, since they constantly change the specs and force firmware updates for compatibility.
post #555 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info on the Oppo. How do standard dvds look compared to your old player?

post #556 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No bright ideas here, but I glanced through the Yamaha manual (a very exciting coffee break). I'm sure you've already tried everything in the manual, but I'll throw out a couple of simple (minimal ridicule, please) suggestions from the book.

p32 - To enjoy audio from the MULTI CH INPUT jacks with a video source, first select the video source, THEN press Multi Ch Input.

p36 - Input mode can be AUTO, DTS, ANALOG. When using AUTO, the receiver looks for digital then analog signals. Maybe try ANALOG?

That's it...pretty weak, I know, and it doesn't explain why you get sound for 15 secs that fades away?

Good luck.

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.
Lewis Family Cinema 1.0

Lewis Family Cinema 2.0
post #557 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post

I know, and it doesn't explain why you get sound for 15 secs that fades away?
Good luck.

I actually think I have the fade away figured out. I will be fiddling with this some more to verify. I don't believe the fading was the Multi working and then fading I think it was the digital connection working then when I switched to the Multi analog the digital faded away.
post #558 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

Hey BIG, you probably won't be able to get more than 5.1 audio from the analog ports either. I'm pretty sure (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to get true 7.1 LPCM audio, as well as DTS-HD, etc. is over an HDMI port.

From the Oppo Spec sheet:

Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-83 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.3 output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals.

When you think about it, there would be no reason to have the 6th and 7th analog output connections built into the player if the player wasn't going to process anything that could be sent out via those jacks.
post #559 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 10:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Thanks for the info on the OPPO. How do standard DVDs look compared to your old player?

I own a SD 5th element and I've ordered the bluray. I will try to do a screen shot of the identical scene of both. I have been using the OPPO 983 upscaling player with the same Anchor Bay upscaling solution and I think it is as good as it gets.
post #560 of 1641 Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Doh, I should have looked at a pic of the back of the unit again, now I'm on the right page. Getting my analog ports mixed up. Yep, those should work just fine, it's the optical and coaxial ports that won't handle 7 channels. Definitely points to a receiver issue, my bad.
post #561 of 1641 Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

I own a SD 5th element and I've ordered the bluray. I will try to do a screen shot of the identical scene of both. I have been using the OPPO 983 upscaling player with the same Anchor Bay upscaling solution and I think it is as good as it gets.

BIG, any screen shots yet? Or other additional observations on the Oppo?
post #562 of 1641 Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The 5th Element is such a great show-off movie and looks fantastic on BD.

John
post #563 of 1641 Old 05-18-2009, 05:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

BIG, any screen shots yet? Or other additional observations on the Oppo?

Watched the Changeling this weekend in BR. Still haven't got my Receiver reading the analog inputs so spent some time reading up on the available receivers and pre-pros.

As far as screen shots, I now have 5th element in SD, BR and recorded Sat HD. If I get ambitious I'll do some screen shots of all three.
post #564 of 1641 Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey BIG,

Quick aside from the Oppo stuff: what is your impression on the effectiveness of the sound treatment for your family room subfloor under the new flooring you recently installed? Are you happy with the result?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #565 of 1641 Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Hey BIG,

Quick aside from the Oppo stuff: what is your impression on the effectiveness of the sound treatment for your family room subfloor under the new flooring you recently installed? Are you happy with the result?

I will report on that soon. It is too early to pass judgment. Still a few items left to do to finish the job.

My initial sense is that it helped mitigate a real problem but did not work a miracle.
post #566 of 1641 Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

ONE SMALL STEP:

as you may recall I was having trouble getting my 7.1 multi channel analog inputs to work on my receiver. After thinking about this some more and playing around with everything I discovered that when I push the multi-channel input button on the receiver it sends a trigger signal to my amp turning it off. So If I remove the trigger cable I can get everything to work.

Now if I can only figure out why it is doing that. Also I'm picking up a little bit of hiss/hum with the cable connections to the receiver instead of just the optics, sigh.
post #567 of 1641 Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How do you have your gear set up? You say you have a receiver as well as a separate amp?

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #568 of 1641 Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

ONE SMALL STEP:
Also I'm picking up a little bit of hiss/hum with the cable connections to the receiver instead of just the optics, sigh.

This is why I finally said to hell with separates and went with one of the big Onkyo 7.1 receivers.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #569 of 1641 Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

This is why I finally said to hell with separates and went with one of the big Onkyo 7.1 receivers.

My problem is I need 4ohm output. My Old Sony does 8 and 4 ohm. But I cannot find a Receiver, that i like, that doese 4 ohm speakers. So I'am waiting for the new Outlaw pre-processor.
post #570 of 1641 Old 05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

How do you have your gear set up? You say you have a receiver as well as a separate amp?

CJ

Yes when I originally setup my theater I had the Outlaw 950 preamp and the 7 channel x200 watt Outlaw amp. I finally got around to hanging my projector and firing everything up and the lip-sync issue was driving me nuts. So I looked for a cheap receiver that had adjustable lip-sync and all the then current decoders to use only as a preamp. I picked that Yamaha. It was intended as a place holder and now I'm waiting for a value oriented HDMI switching pre-amp to go on the market like the proposed Outlaw or the proposed Emotiva. I guess the Integra is another option.

When I get the new pre-amp I will retire the Yamaha to my office.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page