AVS Forum banner

Big Mouth In DC's beautiful black/grey theater

627K views 2K replies 289 participants last post by  tlogan6797 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if he ever posted completed pictures of this theater? The last photos I have seen had it looking almost finished but missing carpet.

This was one of the manliest theaters I have seen on the site. You can definitely tell he picked the colors out himself.

#27 ·
I find it hard to believe that so many months have passed, time for an update.

I got the ceiling reworked, back wall of cabinets in, Marquee built, Signage Complete..

Column test fitted, need counter top first though. Bar cabinets sitting in place. Now need to build the bar. Front will be rounded with a padded vinyl front, metal trim, brushed stainless foot rest.

Also need to mount all the stainless pulls on the cabinets

but here is a recap:

Plan:

Today:

#30 ·
Wow, very nice, very nice indeed !!

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhungvt /forum/post/0

Are you sure this is not your full time job? I know most contractors would charge crazy money for that kind of work.

Keep up great work.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It keeps me motivated to finish.

JB, If I charged by the job I'd be making less than minimum wage. If I charged by the hour, my theater would cost more than the house is worth. So, I guess I'm doomed to consider it a hobby.

#35 ·
BigMouthinDC,

That room is amazing. I have actually been looking at stages to use to copy a bit for my HT project and I keep coming back to the elegant, clean, and modern look of your stage. I actually live in MD probably about an hour from you. Is there any way you could help me adapt your design slightly for my room design? My room is not fully symetrical and I have only 89" to the ceiling, but I like the black fabric coated round projection at the ceiling and the simple black fabric background. Is that constructed with a false wall in the front to get the center channel under the screen and L/R speakers to the side? Is there other posts with the details of the stage area construction? Any help greatly appreciated.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180c /forum/post/0

BigMouthinDC,

Is that constructed with a false wall in the front to get the center channel under the screen and L/R speakers to the side? Is there other posts with the details of the stage area construction? Any help greatly appreciated.

Yes, the Black area are all fabric panels that hide all the speakers. They make up a false wall that fill in the space between the two columns I created. My room isn't symmetrical either and I will post a few construction pics later today for you.

If you want, why don't you start a thread "help me design my stage" post a picture of the space and I'll comment, Maybe sketch something as well. I'm sure others will contribute.

#37 ·
Man that is a good idea. I really want to see if I can adapt your design to fit my space. I would not be able to do the ceiling trim that you did in white, but maybe some others might have a few good additions. To start here is my drawing of the basement and theater room. The issue is that I need to leave 36" walkway to the left of the Theater seats and that is setting the centerline of the screen. It then leaves more room to the left than I want to take up to the right into the wetbar area. I also plan to build a little wall to finish the end of the stage on the right side. I am also struggling with where to start columns with sconces in the room and how many to install. I will try to start a thread tonight when I get home. I should add that the dashed lines to the right of the theater room is a small soffit that we are going to make simply to allow me to paint the theater room ceiling black without while leaving the rest of the basement celing a different color, so it can be moved. Also the dashed lines directly over the theater seats is the soffit that boxes around the HVAC ducts.

Thanks again for any help.

Dave

#38 ·
Bigmouth,

I've had a tough time finding carpet like yours in this area. I'm moving to a new home in July and want to have a patterned carpet in my room. I really like the one you have. Who makes it and where did you get it? My media room is being finished by the builder. I just didn't have any carpet choices close to that one. I had to go with basic carpet and will want to change it out to something closer to yours.

I love your room btw. It definitely has more then a few elements of my dream theater in it. I especially love the color scheme and the lettering over the bar. Very nice!!

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

I find it hard to believe that so many months have passed, time for an update.

I got the ceiling reworked, back wall of cabinets in, Marquee built, Signage Complete..

Today:

Big,

Where did you find the rounded light strip for your signage on the soffit/marquee?

I hate to do this but I really must borrow this idea for our game room area.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkjack /forum/post/0

Big,

Where did you find the rounded light strip for your signage on the soffit/marquee?

I hate to do this but I really must borrow this idea for our game room area.

Please borrow away, one day I'll call in a favor.

I got it at IKEA!!

Detals and pics of my approach here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9605434

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMan /forum/post/0

So you went with metal studs for part of the bar. Any particular reason?

Also, why the intermediate 2x4 between some of the metal studs?

Paul

Thanks for the feedback

On the metal studs I had good luck using the FlexC track to form the curve for the soffit and I just used them because I knew they would be straight and stay straight. I also got a heavier gauge then the HD brand.

Here is some more on the soffit and creating the curve:
http://www.smxscreen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193

As for the wood I'm planning on a foot-rail and those 4 locations are where I'm planning on attaching the brackets.

Tomorrow I'm going to start putting on a skin. I have some 11/32 plywood and I'm going to put on 2 layers glued together. Then I'm going to form a smaller panel on the front (again 2 layers) then take that layer to a commercial upholstery shop to have then put on a diamond tufted pattern.

I'm a little concerned that the plywood may be too stiff and I might have to go thinner (3 layers) or get some of the specialty bendable materials instead.

#48 ·
Big,

You may have answered this already, but where did you get your lettering from? Is it made of stainless, aluminum, or something else?

Thanks,

#51 ·
Neb: sorry to hear that you were in for repairs.

Recently, I had carpet installed and it cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm planning on waiting until the room is done and furnished and I'll post a Recap Thread of all the details. But right now you wouldn't believe it, but Masland carpet shipped a piece with a big flaw right in the middle of the room.

They had to send out an inspector they just couldn't believe that something sneaked out of the factory with all their quality controls. The verdict is they are replacing the carpet.

Couple shots of the carpet

Shots of the oops. There should be a loop pile square instead of the cut pile in the middle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.