Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #91 of 1638 Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That is going to look so much better than stainless would. 100% class all the way. Of course, the thing is going to cost more than my whole house, but totally worth it.

My perpetual home theater build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow Big, your results never fails to disappoint. Any chance of having an open house-theater? You've been teasing us NoVA members for 32 months.
post #93 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakamichi View Post

Wow Big, your results never fails to disappoint. Any chance of having an open house-theater? You've been teasing us NoVA members for 32 months.

Yes, but you need to realize that my basement building permit was issued Feb 2002. Some things just take time.

My projector is on it's 4th bulb already. Of course I'm only getting 500 hours per bulb. Thank you Optoma.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
post #94 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You did it. I now have eternal envy. You have done an absolutely fantastic job. Great taste, very clean -- perfect!!!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #95 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Big,

Any new shots for your fans? Been awhile something must be happening down there

Cheers
Calvin

Check out my construction thread below -

post #96 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I like that Big is the only member I can think of who had some one else start his build thread.

Dave

|
|
|
post #97 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

I like that Big is the only member I can think of who had some one else start his build thread.

Now If I could just get someone to finish the basement project. I do have a receipt (evidence) that the granite is in the works.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #98 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Now If I could just get someone to finish the basement project.

An unknown law of AVS: Number of posts per day is inversely proportional to number of nails per day.

Gonzo

PSN: mule-tool
post #99 of 1638 Old 12-14-2007, 08:12 PM

My kitchen island is about the same size as your bar island and let me tell you, that was one HEAVY piece of granite. I helped the installer guys carry it in. Will look great though, and as an added bonus will hold you house down in the rare case of a tornado .

The
Build Thread.

Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #100 of 1638 Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

DH, As for the granite, only a few slabs in the region were big enough to do my bar tops without a seam. I had to drive to Baltimore to view at the stone importer. Heavy yes! Tornado? thats why I installed seat belts on my sand filled stage. You really want to talk about tornado you need to read Cam's thread.

Gonzo, it's a race 5000 posts or finish this room. Place your bets.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #101 of 1638 Old 12-15-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
5000??? Did you forget a zero? I will take the over on that one! Easy money

I know, I know, you can't rush perfection. That is what I keep telling my wife.

Gonzo

PSN: mule-tool
post #102 of 1638 Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

You really want to talk about tornado you need to read Cam's thread.

Sorry to dissapoint guys... but even that heavy granite won't keep the house down... Just ask the car that was parked on my FRONT driveway and ended up in the BACK yard!

Quote:

thats why I installed seat belts on my sand filled stage.

Good idea... It's better to be buckled in for the ride!

-Cam

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #103 of 1638 Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 AM

Big,

Where did you get your fabrics (on the walls)? Was local to NoVA?
post #104 of 1638 Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakamichi View Post

Big,

Where did you get your fabrics (on the walls)? Was local to NoVA?

Ordered free samples from the GOM web site. Ordered fabric from FabricMate.com. Ordered twice, both times arrived in less than 5 days.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #105 of 1638 Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Gorgeous, classy, it's all been said before.. Thank you for setting the bar impossibly high..
post #106 of 1638 Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Biggy:

I thought that building permits in Loudon and Fairfax Counties were good for a short period of time...one or two years?

You take your time but man, I'm in awe of your work!

I'd love to see it sometime!

CJ
(Only 30-40 miles west)

Follow my build here:
post #107 of 1638 Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I thought that building permits in Loudon and Fairfax Counties were good for a short period of time...one or two years?

That could be true, I haven't decided if I will ever call them for the final. At this rate I may never finish. I haven't even started to work on the tile and other finishes for the bathroom, steam/shower and sauna a.k.a. the mini spa.

Not being done hasn't stopped them from taxing me. I got a call a while back and they asked how far along I was. I thought it was the inspection office and said 80%, turned out it was the tax office and the correct response was less than 50%. One of those days when I got the call out of the blue and wasn't thinking.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #108 of 1638 Old 12-18-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
My understanding in Loudoun is that the FIRST inspection needs to be within a year. They just want to know that the permit has not been abandoned. After that, it can take forever. I've heard of some guys "forgetting" to get their final so the tax man never catches up.

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #109 of 1638 Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm finished with the HVAC work that had to be adjusted and ready or final but have decided not to get a final in case they increas taxes etc. My thought is I can get final when I eventually sell.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #110 of 1638 Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Blue pearl granite from Norway.

Blue pearl granite is great. Had it installed in our kitchen, the blues look amazing under the right light!!
post #111 of 1638 Old 12-20-2007, 12:51 PM

BigMouth:

I love the progress... its a neat feeling when the finished product looks similar to your original drawings, isn't it? I like the blue pearl granite... your picture doesn't do it justice!

Perhaps I should adopt your slogan for my theater, as mine is moving at a rate that is about as exciting as watching paint dry also - which I have done!

I can't wait to see you completed project!

Check out my threads:

post #112 of 1638 Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback.

No significant progress so I thought I'd catch you up on some pics that haven't made it to this thread. Included are a number of concept sketches of I how plan to finish certain details:

The back bar Sketch I took to the commercial upholsterer:

The bar behind the seating concept: IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS FOR OTHER STOOLS PLEASE GIVE ME A LINK!

Location of poster case #1 and plans for a black out shade (complete)

plans for poster case #2

The sconces in the stairway:

Where I put the rear surrounds:

How I (actually the Wife suggested) solved the problem of a boring gray ceiling each square is 12 pieces of trim combined.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #113 of 1638 Old 12-20-2007, 01:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Here is the curved piece of plywood that I had to make for the upholsterer. Three layers of 1/4 birch pine glued together. I used the actual bar as the form gluing each layer and holding in place with screws. This is actually the second I made. The first was two layers of 3/8 but it didn't hold the curve. Three layers worked like a charm.

Before and after of building a base for my popcorn machine to give it more of a visual presence in the room. Still need to swap out the back light for a dimmer/bluer version. I think I can just put a Gel tube on the bulb.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #114 of 1638 Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
warning progress is slow, kind of like watching a pot roast in a crock pot.

- but mmmm tasty when it's finished

LOVE the design on the poster case, that filigree at the top is perfect!

My perpetual home theater build -
post #115 of 1638 Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

May I ask a source for your columns? I am assuming they are fiberglass? Will you be filling them with something? If you cut them yourself, can you please explain how you did it?

Thanks Happy Holidays!

Randy

post #116 of 1638 Old 12-22-2007, 07:11 AM

This just keeps looking more classy by the minute!
Keep it up.
-Cam

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #117 of 1638 Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyNow^ View Post

Jeff,

May I ask a source for your columns? I am assuming they are fiberglass? Will you be filling them with something? If you cut them yourself, can you please explain how you did it?

Thanks Happy Holidays!

Actually I just bought the PVC pipe column kit.

http://www.classiccolumn.com/

I ordered it from Outwater plastic then bought a large PVC pipe and cut the pieces.

I'm not certain if I am going to keep those columns or make something square. Still up in the air. Also haven't finalized what Color I'm going to do. I could cover the tubes with metal laminate.

Probably would make sense to stuff with insulation just in case.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #118 of 1638 Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM

This theater is really astonishing and the attention to detail is truely inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing this amazing build.

You sure have raised the bar (no pun intended, well maybe a little) for the rest of us. Back to the drawing board...

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #119 of 1638 Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where I put the rear surrounds:

bigs

are the speakers above your head the surrounds in a 5.1 system or the rears speakers in a 7.1 setup. I'm struggling on where to put the rear wall speakers in my area in a 7.1 setup and I could put the rears above my head in the soffit or build some boxes at an angle out of the drop ceiling behind the seating area.

Just curious on how you like your placement

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #120 of 1638 Old 12-22-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
These are pretty cool. Check out there site there are a ton on there. I wish I needed some stools this site has some Awesome prices http://www.morebarstools.com/Linon-S...TL-01-KD-U.htm

Scott

Current Photo's

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page