Got a PM with some good questions so I thought I would post them here and attempt to answer:
1. What are the dimensions of your screen wall?
The left and right door "columns" are 30 inches wide. The blacked out area is 12' 6". To the right of the right column is a 39 inch hallway that goes back to my office. Along that hallway is an 18 inch door that provides access to the back of the equipment stack.
2. What is the approximate angle of the wall to the left and right of the screen...where you have your L and R speakers?
I just measured and it is 162 degrees. I eyeballed it and just did something that I thought would look good. The speakers are not set at the angle and are pretty much straight.
I plan to go to a 2:35 screen in the future and will be rebuilding those black panels. The angle will change I'm sure as I'll be adding 20-24 inches of screen width.
3. How did you cover the wall? What material? How are you attaching it to the framing?
The columns have 1 inch thick furring strips, linacoustic and then GOM fabric stapled to the surface.
Some Pics of the column construction:
4. What is your ceiling height in your room?
8 1/2 ft. and 9. The height at the screen wall is 8 1/2.
5. How did you hinge the door of your equipment rack...where did you get them?
I used a series of 8 1inch by 3inch HomeDepot hinges.
6. How did you deal with the trim on the hinge side of the door?
That thin strip is just a piece of laminate that I painted to match and I think I duct taped into place.
However on the left column I actually made a C shape piece of the chair rail and it's held in place as a unit with Velcro. I rarely open that column and use it to store crap (original shipping boxes for gear). If I had to do over I would stick a bass trap there and make the door acoustically transparent.
7. How are you dealing with air exchange and heat in that rack?
I have an in-line Fantech Bathroom exhaust fan controlled by an attic fan line voltage thermostat. It vents outside which is not as energy efficient as venting it somewhere else in the house where a little heat doesn't matter.
When it's just me and the misses I leave the door open and I don't think the fan ever kicks in.
8. Do you have a pics of the wall construction progress you could share?
Check the ones I posted, let me know what you don't see. I didn't document the regular wall process because there are so many other threads that did a good job. See ChinaDog's
9. At what height did you install the trim in your room...what is that called a chair rail, maybe?
Mine is at 42 inches but it is all aesthetics, do what you think looks good for your room.