AVS Forum banner

Big Mouth In DC's beautiful black/grey theater

627K views 2K replies 289 participants last post by  tlogan6797 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if he ever posted completed pictures of this theater? The last photos I have seen had it looking almost finished but missing carpet.

This was one of the manliest theaters I have seen on the site. You can definitely tell he picked the colors out himself.

#2 ·
6 year summary for those showing up late to the party and wondering what this thread is about.

I finished my basement into a large entertaining space and along the way the theater pretty much ate my basement. I'm on my second iteration now going from a 16:9 format to 2.35:1 and it looks like this:

The back bar

this thread documents the long journey to get that result.

Now turning back the clock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner /forum/post/0

This was one of the manliest theaters I have seen on the site. You can definitely tell he picked the colors out himself.

Gotta chuckle out of that. Thanks for the kind words.

Actually as the theater progressed I reached a point where I said "I'm going to stick insulation and fabric on the walls" and my wife went into one of those over my dead body moods. So, I pulled up some pictures of Kirks, Uptown Paridiso theater and she got on board with the concept and the basic color scheme. Now between Kirk's camera and My LCD monitor his theater had a kind of a blue/grey theme. We ordered up some samples from GOM and that's the colors we went with. I actually ordered Kirks fabrics just to look at and it's more green then blue.

As for the status the theater is actually in a big room and I'm working on the back end. Actually I've been doing more planning then working and once spring hit I've been working on the outdoor to do list and we went to the beach twice. I'm also starting a bricklaying class on Monday nights.

The back end is actually a big "concession stand concept" we wanted to have all the dirty stuff done before I had the carpet brought in for the whole area. I've decided to do some surgery on the drywall in that area and I erected a plastic sheet wall.

Concept of back wall

Radius edge bar with blue padded,tufted, buttoned front will stand in front.

Ordering the right cabinets has been a PIA. We found one vendor Luxor (Canada) that had a painted european cabinet in the style we wanted and had to wait 2 months just to get a price quote. It came in at $15,000 for the 10 cabinets (without the pulls) uninstalled and we freaked.

Right now I'm reviewing a quote from Cabparts for the boxes, and MaplecraftUSA for the painted slab doors. I will have to mate the doors to the cabinets but the price will be about $4000 for the look we want. I will order the Stainless Pulls from some place like Outwater.

It will be done someday. I may have my second Projector by the time it's done. Got about 700 hours on the 1 year old projector so lack of carpet hasn't stopped our movie watching.

Here is our overall color palette:

The dark wedgewood blue is for the cabinets, the checkered gray is the carpet. the dark wood is for the floor in the bar area(subject to change) the big roll of vinyl is for the tufted bar front. Blue pearl granite for counter tops, painted gray is the trim and ceiling color.

A part that's done:

#3 ·
Big -

Quote:
As for the status the theater is actually in a big room and I'm working on the back end

I got a chuckle out of THAT! Your room is HUGE! And I 've been SITTING on MY back end!

Same as you, I've been wokring on the outside things to do list. I hope to be getting back to mine real soon. Brit's gotten WAY past me!

Tom

#9 ·
Dimensions? the room is about 900 sq ft kind of an stubby L

JB and all: Is this the construction web site? After the Sandman and others there isn't much I could contribute to the science but If there is interest in HOW I'm going to build the Bar/Concession stand back end speak up and I'll start a documentary of my journey.

Just as long as the moderators don't banish me to the "general purpose room thread" where grass growing is sometimes faster than an update.

Maybe it would spur me on to finish.

#11 ·
I saw this thread and thought Big had finished and all us NoVA'ers were in for a grand opening treat
I think were all in awe at Bigs theater .....just want to see it done.....but his yard looks great also (unlike mine)

Alas.....it not be so......looks like Bmackrell will be first in our area. Lets hope the bar is completed at the same time

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/0

Dimensions? the room is about 900 sq ft kind of an stubby L

JB and all: Is this the construction web site? After the Sandman and others there isn't much I could contribute to the science but If there is interest in HOW I'm going to build the Bar/Concession stand back end speak up and I'll start a documentary of my journey.

Just as long as the moderators don't banish me to the "general purpose room thread" where grass growing is sometimes faster than an update.

Maybe it would spur me on to finish.

I like the bar/concession idea. From the picture, i think it will come out nice.

#15 ·
Hey great work I feel right at home! I'm flattered.

As far as my progress I'm happy to report that on July 20th the cabinets for the back end should arrive and I'll be ordering the remaining appliances this week.

So we should be looking at some real progress And I promise to post some construction shots of the back bar area if there is any interest.

#18 ·
Update:

The cabinets have arrived, The appliances are due next week.

This week I tore off the ceiling soffit area because we have changed the bar location and it just wasn't going to line up right. Need to add some framing, redo the electrical and re-rock.

#22 ·
OK, back from the beach.

Kermie: The designs on the bar ends are scraps of wood. I can't remember which projects I did that I used those pre-made MDF shelves from HD. They come 12 inches wide with a slightly rounded edge. I needed 10 to 11 inch boards so I cut off the edge and I had a pile of them in my "maybe I can use these someday" pile.

I just cut them up in that design. The middle ones are taller and thicker than each piece next to it. I cut the ends with a slight angle. I painted, then nailed in place, patched the holes and touched up the paint.

A&M: great work welcome to the blue/grey club.

#26 ·
It was worse last week. You picked a good time to get out of NVa. This current weather list actually a relief. (He types while sitting inside a nice AC'd office building far removed from heat....)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.