Cinema Magnifique - a work in progress - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Home Entertainment & Theater Builder > Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Cinema Magnifique - a work in progress

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

VorlonFog's Avatar VorlonFog
06:30 PM Liked: 10
post #91 of 156
09-03-2006 | Posts: 403
Worked on the room, instead. Cleaned EVERYTHING off the stage and then: glued and screwed down the front curves, rolled out the tar paper and cut it to fit, screwed down the second layer of OSB, ran out of screws , ran to HD for more screws, finished screwing it down, rolled out the carpet pad, trimmed it to fit, and finally hit the shower. I tried taking pictures with the lights on and off, using the auto-delay and tripod, but they still came out blurry.

Since those didn't work, here's a picture of the big screen rolled down from earlier today. It's a 92-inch motorized Da-Lite Contour Electrol purchased from InFocus along with the projector. It's wired with a 12VDC relay line from the projector.

david_rostowsky's Avatar david_rostowsky
06:55 PM Liked: 10
post #92 of 156
09-03-2006 | Posts: 424
Sweet, a screen! Things are really coming along great for you. Love the mahogany stain!

Ill be interested to hear how you like the Dalite. Been shopping around for screens. That was one of the first ones I thought about getting. How hard was it to mount n level?
08:38 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 156
09-03-2006 | Posts: 403
David: I used a stud finder to locate studs nearest the ends of the screen, but still within the ends. I used a laser level to draw a perfectly level line for mounting the brackets. My original goal was to place the screen directly above the accessway to the closets, so I tried to mount it as close to the door frame as I could. The only problem was that the door frame itself ISN'T level. So, the bottom of the screen case starts above the door frame on the left side and ends up just barely in front of the door frame on the right side. It IS level, though.

As I'm getting closer to finishing up the stage, my next priority is to take down the screen and mount a 1x4 behind it into the studs, then re-mount the floating mounting brackets. When that's done, it should give me the clearance I need to avoid the unlevel door frame. It might also help work out hanging the black velvet drapes on the black wall, but I've got to purchase some Linacoustic first.
garykagan's Avatar garykagan
10:27 PM Liked: 10
post #94 of 156
09-03-2006 | Posts: 691
Keith,

Checked your thread today. Very nice work, very nice. I love the colors and the wood work. That stage is going to be really nice.

Gary
09:09 AM Liked: 10
post #95 of 156
09-04-2006 | Posts: 403
Gary, thanks for visiting!! I can't get nearly as much done each week as I'd like, but I suspect that's a familiar feeling around here.
Mark P's Avatar Mark P
10:17 AM Liked: 29
post #96 of 156
09-04-2006 | Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_rostowsky View Post

Ill be interested to hear how you like the Dalite. Been shopping around for screens. That was one of the first ones I thought about getting.

I cant speak for Vorlans screen but I was at a Hometheater meet last winter and they had this exact screen but the one I saw was wrinkled ( fairly bad)
the owner said he tried everything to get them out including bungie type things on the bottom corners, I found this very distracting during bright colored scenes like Blue - white sky shots. Movies like the Worlds Fastest Indian would be hard to watch because it casts darker shadows vertically on all the edges of every wrinkle

Maybe Vorlon can elaborate on this once he gets things up and running
ebr's Avatar ebr
07:12 AM Liked: 20
post #97 of 156
09-05-2006 | Posts: 3,358
Hey Keith - nice progress on the room. You'll love it when its done, but I'm gonna spend some time talking you into some acoustic treatments . Really, will make a world of difference...

Where around Charlotte are you?
08:05 AM Liked: 10
post #98 of 156
09-05-2006 | Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I can't speak for Vorlon's screen but I was at a Hometheater meet last winter and they had this exact screen but the one I saw was wrinkled (fairly bad.) The owner said he tried everything to get them out including bungie type things on the bottom corners. I found this very distracting during bright colored scenes like blue - white sky shots. Movies like the World's Fastest Indian would be hard to watch because it casts darker shadows vertically on all the edges of every wrinkle.

Maybe Vorlon can elaborate on this once he gets things up and running.

My screen has been up since about April when I first hung the projector to insure all the wiring in the room was okay and the image alignment would be good. I've been fortunate in that since I received the screen, it had always been stored in the factory shipping box in a horizontal position. It sat in the room along with all the other unpacked boxes for almost two months, so it definitely had time to become acclimatized to the room and house. I used Da-Lite's floating mounting brackets to install the screen case. A stud finder and laser level helped insure the brackets were perfectly level before the screen case went up.

The very first time I rolled it down (with all the improvised wiring, wire nuts, and electrical tape ) it was flawless, with no wrinkles, no waves, nothing. Maybe I just got lucky, because I've read where many people have problems. That first time, I left it down for an entire week to insure any potential irregularities would have time to work themselves out. I'm just glad there weren't any. Like I said, apparently I'm very fortunate.
08:19 AM Liked: 10
post #99 of 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Hey Keith - nice progress on the room. You'll love it when its done, but I'm gonna spend some time talking you into some acoustic treatments . Really, will make a world of difference...

Where around Charlotte are you?

You're preaching to the choir. I got tired of the last few months with no tunes so last night I hauled out all the speakers and fired up a few favorite CDs: Yes - Fragile, Jethro Tull - Aqualung, and Scoot Pittman - Up Down Across and Back (local guy, featured on WSGE Gastonia @ 91.7 FM.) [ The new reclining love seat is fantastic, by the way. ] The Polk R50 front mains are angled inwards towards the seats and the Polk R30 rear surrounds face sideways towards the seats. The Polk PSW650 sub sits in the rear right corner of the stage with three cubic feet of sand packed beneath it. I can honestly say the sound was wonderful, but that's probably because I've been missing it for so long. Right now, I'm planning full treatment of the front stage wall with Linacoustic covered with lined black velvet curtain panels, superchunk/minichunk bass traps for the rear corners, and framed decorative fabric panels on the walls with polyester batting stuffed behind them.

I'm behind the Park Road Shopping Center at the corner of Woodlawn Road and Park Road, at the very edge of Meyers Park. We'll definitely have to exchange visits when I finally get things done. At my current rate of progress / exhaustion, that should be about 2008 or 2009.
Mark P's Avatar Mark P
08:22 AM Liked: 29
post #100 of 156
09-05-2006 | Posts: 1,773
Nice,
This guy should have sent his back then. Wrinkles was a bad term, they were waves, ever so slight of waves but very noticable as soon as the projected image hit them with lighter colors.
08:31 AM Liked: 10
post #101 of 156
Mark: If I had seen anything worse than the very slightest hint of a wave when I first rolled it down, I would certainly have sent it back. For the money I paid for this motorized screen (as opposed to an inexpensive pull-down screen) the thing had better be darned near flawless.

When I saw the prices on tensioned screens and then noticed my office had one, I took a good look at it. I was surprised to see the tension was maintained by fibre strings rather than metal wires, so I'm certainly glad I didn't bother with those. For their astronomical prices, I would certainly expect a tighter, flatter screen. I honestly don't see the advantage on the one here at the office.
04:39 PM Liked: 10
post #102 of 156
09-08-2006 | Posts: 403
I think assembling the stage and hauling in the love seat last weekend wore me out. Monday afternoon I built a small box from scrap 1x4 and applied a piece of leftover 1/4-inch stained oak plywood for the top. This will fit snugly into the console of the love seat as a cup-holder when the inserts arrive next week. Thursday night I drew and cut out the two 3 5/8-inch holes. There was a 3 5/8-inch hole saw at Lowes for about $17, but it needed an arbor which was another $15. For this small a job and because the cupholders have a lip that covers the edge, I used my drill to make several holes around the inside of the circles and then cut and sanded them with my Dremel. A bit more sanding and a second coat of poly and it looks pretty good, but I'm thinking a third coat of poly can't hurt. I still need to borrow or rent an air-driven stapler to attach the carpet to the stage, but that's on hold until next week.
mbgonzomd's Avatar mbgonzomd
04:07 PM Liked: 20
post #103 of 156
10-18-2006 | Posts: 3,722
Keith? Updates???
05:45 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 156
10-18-2006 | Posts: 403
Come September, it's lawn renewal and maintenance season for me. That means a lot of work raking out the lawn and throwing down lime, minerals, fertilizer, and seed. That all started several weeks ago, and my new grass will get cut for the first time this weekend. In addition to the lawn, I've got a seven foot tall ligustrum hedge I've been taking down. I can cut down about four clusters a week and get them cut up enough for the city to take them away from the curb. Right now, I've got about seven or eight clusters of shrubs remaining to clear away. Now that the rain's let up this week, I might be able to get more done Thursday evening.

Also, since the days are getting shorter and the weather's finally getting cooler, I'll be able to spend more time inside working on the room. The wife was VERY good about letting me work on it so much while it was ridiculously hot outside during the summer. Fall is also my favorite season to be outdoors working, so that took a temporary priority these last few weeks. Now that I'm just about fed up (uh, I mean "complete") with the yard work, I can return to work in the HT room with a clear conscience.

Thanks for asking!!
05:53 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 156
11-05-2006 | Posts: 403
The big green monster that was a seven-foot ligustrum hedge along our driveway has been reduced to many little green monsters. I've wanted to cut that sucker down for ten years, and it's finally done. The new grass in the front lawn is all up and has even been mowed once already. The landscapers have renovated the back yard, so hopefully we'll have new grass back there soon. I've handled a ridiculously long string of honey-do's the last several weeks, and re-hanging decorative window treatments in the living room was the last one today.

So, what about the room, huh? I still need to straighten up and move everything away from the stage, just to have enough room to work on the stage and proscenium. I measured and traced two curves for the sides today. I rolled back the carpet padding, drove a nail in the back corner and stretched a wire for drawing curves about three inches in from the front lip of the outside left and right. I put down a three-foot section of 1x12 clear pine and drew the first curve, then shortened the wire another three inches and drew a second curve inside the first. After drawing the two end lines, I took it outside and cut it for a template to draw several more pieces. Cutting two of them took less time than expected, so I cut them all before quitting for the night. Together with 1x4s, black spray paint and speaker fabric, these will form the fabric walls hiding the speakers on either side of the stage.

I just went to take a picture of the pieces (because I know you're all skeptical that way) and ran into two problems: the camera's not charged, and my memory card has wandered off somewhere. I promise now that I'm working on the room again, I'll provide some new pictures. (Honest!)
06:31 AM Liked: 20
post #106 of 156
11-06-2006 | Posts: 3,722
Can't we at least get a picture of the hedge?
01:06 PM Liked: 10
post #107 of 156
11-06-2006 | Posts: 403
Here's how it looked before I cut it (and this is less than half the length of it!)

Here's how the upper half looked in the spring after I whacked it.

Since the camera has now charged overnight and I found my memory card this morning, I'll take pictures of the recently-whacked bottom half of what used to be a hedge after I get home this evening.
02:48 PM Liked: 20
post #108 of 156
11-06-2006 | Posts: 3,722
Nice hedge Now get back to the theater, will ya?
06:47 PM Liked: 10
post #109 of 156
11-06-2006 | Posts: 403
But it certainly isn't seven-feet-plus tall and three-feet-plus wide any more. I had to work late tonight, so no picture of the current carnage. Just for your patience, here's a picture of the curved pieces I cut Sunday evening.

LoudandClear's Avatar LoudandClear
11:03 AM Liked: 10
post #110 of 156
11-07-2006 | Posts: 291
Keith,

Nice work on the room.

I just found your thread and I really like the color of stain you put on the front of your stage. Is it a common brand/color found at home depot or ?? Multi-stage stain and varnish right. IS that gloss just from the stain?

I'm trying to do something similar but attempting to match the Cherry Red color of my Von Schweikert speakers.

Mike B.
05:32 AM Liked: 10
post #111 of 156
11-09-2006 | Posts: 403
Thanks, Mike!

Check back a few pages where I was staining all the trim molding for my room. You'll see where I provided the Minwax color names and numbers. I can't even remember the specifics right now, but it's three coats of the Minwax mahogany stain, followed by two or three coats of the Minwax tinted satin polyurethane. The stage curves you saw only have a single coat of polyurethane on them right now. I still have to sand them and put on a second coat.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs
12:35 PM Liked: 12
post #112 of 156
11-09-2006 | Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan View Post

I'm trying to do something similar but attempting to match the Cherry Red color of my Von Schweikert speakers.

You should look up Bud's thread (chinadog) he used some service to get a matching stain and it turned out pretty good for him.

Blazing Ridge Cinema

Look toward the end of the thread -- where he does the install for his wet bar.

Mike
02:17 PM Liked: 10
post #113 of 156
11-09-2006 | Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

You should look up Bud's thread (chinadog) he used some service to get a matching stain and it turned out pretty good for him.

Blazing Ridge Cinema

Look toward the end of the thread -- where he does the install for his wet bar.

Mike

Yeah, I did the same thing but went to a local Sherman Williams that was specially equipped to match colors of stains. I took in one of the speaker tops (removable) and left it with them. and a sample piece of oak plywood like the wood I'm going to apply it to. I was sweating bullets until I got my speaker top back. They said they did the best they could. They stressed the point that the depth is what created the intense color. Now by reading this thread, I see that it's a many step process but it may be attainable.

I'm going to experiment with the stain they made up and some varnish this week.

Craig,
What is the curved wood pieces for? I am also going to make similar curves for the curved face bass traps I'm planning. It will match the curved face of my stage.

I really really admire the first few posts you put up with your Crown Moulding, chair rail and corner piece. I want that look! Being that the stain is very dark, I wonder if wood crown with a few finger joints in it would stand out? I bought about 300 feet of 5 inch crown for 15cents per foot back when a local home improvement store went out of business. I'd love to use it up.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs
04:07 PM Liked: 12
post #114 of 156
11-09-2006 | Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtexan View Post

I'm going to experiment with the stain they made up and some varnish this week.

Something else you might consider is to call around to various fine furniture stores and ask about who they use for fixing and restoration. Those guys are AMAZING when it comes to color matching. They just mix a bit of this and a bit of that and voila it matches. I asked the guy who fixed our table how he does it and he said he can just see what colors need to be added (uh, how do you learn that skill??). Anyway, it occurred to me that you might be able to hire one of them to figure out your color issue (depth of finish, what type(s), etc).

Or you can practice, practice, practice

Good luck,
Mike
01:07 PM Liked: 10
post #115 of 156
11-10-2006 | Posts: 403
And look what happens: you guys get started talking about finishing wood trim.

MadTexan: The curved pieces are for the speaker walls on the two sides of the stage. I'm not ready to build them yet, but figured I could use up some of the scrap 1x12 I've had hanging around since our renovation completed in March. Plus, it was something easy to get back into working on the room after a two-month break.
01:19 PM Liked: 10
post #116 of 156
11-10-2006 | Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by VorlonFog View Post

And look what happens: you guys get started talking about finishing wood trim.

I guess it's better than the discussion about the Hedge???

01:35 PM Liked: 10
post #117 of 156
Yeah, it's better than the hedge. By a long shot.
06:07 PM Liked: 10
post #118 of 156
For the last two months, the theatre room has been where I stash things when I'm done working with them. Tonight after work, I had to clean it all up. The tools were all put back in their boxes and the subwoofer, speakers, amplifier, and carpet pad all came off the stage.

Earlier this week I picked up several 1x4s and tonight I laid them out on the stage for marking up and cutting tomorrow. The ceiling joists run left to right across the room. After the proscenium frame is cut and fit together, I'll nail the top pieces through the 1x4s and sheetrock and into the joists. Then I'll finish attaching everything beneath them. Just like the stage, I'll use masonite and quarter-inch oak veneered plywood strips to form the curves.

Other than working overhead, I think I'll like using lighter weight lumber to frame the proscenium. More of it fits in the car in a single trip, it's easier and faster to cut, and it's cheaper too. Pictures coming after I actually get things cut and fit together. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.
02:37 PM Liked: 10
post #119 of 156
11-11-2006 | Posts: 403
Morning was spent running errands, including more lumber. I needed more 1x4s, masonite, and oak-veneer plywood. Laid things out on top of the stage, marked the curves, spent all afternoon cutting things, but haven't pieced anything together yet. We're goin' out for dinner. I gotta keep my energy up to work into the night, right?

Edit:The Double Dark Chocolate cake at Buca di Beppo outweighed the two cups of really good coffee I had with it.
04:32 PM Liked: 10
post #120 of 156
11-12-2006 | Posts: 403
I started with the jigsaw before 9 a.m. just to make up for the lost time last night. (At least I got a heckuva good night's sleep, anyway.) Fortunately, one set of neighbors was away this weekend, and the others were already up and out for the day. I laid out all the pieces cut Saturday and this morning and started assembling. This week, I'll cut and apply the masonite for the curves, then stain and apply the oak-veneer plywood.

Here's the results of this weekend's framing work:

Left side:

Center:

Right:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Subscribe to this Thread