Cinema Magnifique - a work in progress - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking and reading threads here since I first purchased a Tivo several years ago. At that time, our home was a modest one-story of 1500 square feet with a master bedroom, a guest bedroom, and a small office. Most of 2005 was spent waiting on contractors to add a second story of about 1000 square feet. My plan was to convert the former master bedroom into the theatre room, but the contractors let tons of rain into the house when the roof was removed. The entire first floor had to be gutted to the studs: the plaster walls came down, the hardwood floors came up. It was a mixed blessing: the wiring and plumbing badly needed replacing and the walls and floors were showing their age. We also got all new insulation installed around and beneath the first floor.

It cost us several extra months out of the house, but it cost the contractors a hefty performance penalty, too. It also allowed me time to run speaker cables for 5.1 sound in the walls, and DVI, 12VDC, and RS-232 cables for the projector overhead. We finally moved back into the house in late February of 2006 which meant loads of other work before anything could happen in the theatre room. I finally hung the screen and projector about a month ago to insure everything was okay. The wife enjoyed a couple of her favorite movies and I enjoyed the guilty pleasure that is The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Now that the initial pleasure of the big screen and big sound have been tested successfully (and thoroughly enjoyed) I've started redressing the room.

Two weeks ago we picked out two inexpensive 5x7 area rugs to cover most of the new hardwood floor. We took home several paint chips to determine the darkest garnet red we could use. The living room is painted a bold red, so the theatre continues that theme. We traveled to a local fabric outlet and selected two fabrics that would work with the overall room theme of garnet, black, and gold. I contacted a local faux painter for the upper walls and she'll be coming out 7/31 and 8/1 to put up a color similar to Ralph Lauren's Balmoral Red (RL TH44) with undertones of yellow/gold. Last weekend I painted the ceiling a dark chocolate grey from Lowes. It's a Valspar/American Tradition interior flat latex called Ebony Field (4004-2C), chosen to work with the garnet walls.

Last weekend I also started the largest effort: staining and varnishing the new egg-and-dart molding for the room to a deep red mahogany. I purchased only the chair rail first to insure the stain and satin polyurethane varnish would yield the color I wanted. The chair rail got three rounds of Minwax Red Mahogany #225 stain followed by two coats of Minwax Bombay Mahogany #380 PolyShades combination stain/varnish. My goal was to create a deep and dark red mahogany that looked several layers deep, and I've been pleased with the results. So Friday after work I went back to Lowes with my shopping list for baseboard, crown moldings and door casings. I'm working inside the 12'x12' room and limited by having only two sawhorses and a single dropcloth (left behind by the painters.) This weekend I've been working on the door casings and trim, but it's been slow going due to a few thunderstorms outdoors. The stain wipes easily enough, but the first coat of varnish requires overnight to dry enough for buffing with 000 steel wool.

Pictures are forthcoming. Right now I have to insure the WAF stays high by taking her out to lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good man. Gotta keep her happy.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #3 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Drat, the first reply I get is from the acoustic wizard of the forum. Guess he figured I wasn't doing full gonzo room treatments for sound.

Honestly, just getting the room for myself was enough of a job. Having to wait all these months while taking care of the yard, kitchen, living room, and HER downstairs room was the second toughest thing. I've already posted a few pictures as attachments to other messages here, but I've just setup a Photobucket page to collect all my pictures.

The 12'x12' room has natural oak hardwood floors now, but this is how it looked while torn down to the stud walls in October 2005. This view is from the room entrance looking back to the bump-out area where the walk-in closets used to be.

Here's one corner of the 5'x7' area rugs we chose to cover the new floors.
The red color was a good match for the paint that's going on the top half of the walls.

Here's the fabric chosen for the wall frames. The gold design should pick up the hints of yellow/gold the faux painter will use in the dark garnet walls.

post #4 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the obligatory picture of the room mess as it exists today. It might be a mess, but it sure beats the heck out of bare stud walls with no power.

These are the door casings, plinth blocks, and rosettes I've been staining and varnishing this weekend. After two coats of varnish on the casings, I believe I'll add a third coat. Thank goodness the second coat dries faster than the first, and is easier to buff out.

Here's a closeup of the door casing after two coats of varnish. I think I'll add a third coat for protection and to get a deeper color.

This is the egg-and-dart chair rail I used to be certain I could get the deep red mahogany color I wanted. It's hard to believe this was clear white wood before.

post #5 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I already had a good receiver, subwoofer, front speakers and a pair of not-so-good rear speakers. Watching television and DVDs on the 27" TV with surround sound in the bedroom was always a good experience. All I really needed to start my theatre room was a projector, screen, and center channel speaker. After the renovation began last year, I purchased a refurb InFocus SP5000 directly from InFocus while there was a rebate available. They had a special on screens at the same time, so I chose their motorized 92" screen with grey material. What they shipped was a Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol screen with an InFocus decal on the case. Due to all the construction delays, both of these items sat unused in their boxes for over four months. The projector came out in January after the holidays were over just to insure everything worked correctly and to update the firmware.

Never being happy with what I've already got (sound familiar, anyone? ) I scoured slickdeals dot net for new speakers. The fronts are Polk Audio R50s, the rear surrounds are Polk R30s, the center is a Polk CSi25, and the subwoofer I already had is a Polk PSW650. These are all driven by a JVC RX-8000V receiver with optical inputs and DD/DTS 5.1 processing. Video and audio is supplied by a home-built MythTV system. The GeForce 5200 AGP video connects via DVI-D to the M1 port of the InFocus SP5000 projector. The SoundBlaster Live 5.1 PCI audio card connects via fiber-optic cable to the receiver. DVDs are played using xine and a gigabit network connects the MythTV system to a Linux fileserver with 1.8 terabytes of storage for MP3 music files and ISO rips of DVDs.

During all the months we were out of the house, I ripped most of my music and movies to the fileserver. A good use of down time, right? Well, it was until four of the five disk drives in the file server all failed at the same time. All four had very close serial numbers and the fifth drive was significantly different. It just looked like a bad batch of drives and the manufacturer was extremely good about replacing them quickly Unfortunately, it means all my work ripping things was lost. Oh well, that's why I kept the original discs, right?
post #6 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice job on the wood work and trim. I like the color of the stain. It should look great when it up.
post #7 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Nice job on the wood work and trim. I like the color of the stain. It should look great when it up.

Thanks, Mike!!

It's always time-consuming and often tedious, but in the end it's always worth the effort.
post #8 of 156 Old 07-23-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was able to put two coats of stain on the last two pieces of door casing and three of the baseboards before settling in for Chappelle's Show, Mind of Mencia, and Reno 911. Back to the office tomorrow morning, and then more staining tomorrow: three more baseboards, and six pieces of crown molding. I've got a few vacation days scheduled at the end of the week, when I'll get to varnishing things and cleaning everything else out of the room. Then the painter will come in to do the the walls next week. I'll enjoy reading everyone else's threads until next weekend. Later....
post #9 of 156 Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, it's three days later and I'm on my first day away from the office in months. I've been doing as much staining as I could every night, and I've just finished staining all of the trim molding for the wall frames and the corner blocks for the crown molding. This afternoon I'm cleaning off the work table and using it to varnish as well as the saw horses. The first coat of varnish will start going on and I'm hoping to finish the buffing and second coats by Friday evening. While the first varnish is drying, I've got to finish removing the existing baseboards and one more door frame, and take down the curtains from the screen wall. I'll be painting it the same dark chocolate grey as the ceiling.

This is to send out a rousing round of cheers and support for everyone working so hard on their own theatre rooms. You're an inspiration to me and to everyone else. Thanks!!
post #10 of 156 Old 07-28-2006, 12:01 PM

i love that color. how did you apply the stain/finish (did you rag it all on by hand?)and what species is the wood? (pine/oak?)

looks like you'll have a really classy room when you're done, keep up the good work.
post #11 of 156 Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words, MikeD.

I used a two-inch wide "chip brush", the inexpensive throw-away bristle brushes you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. They're about fifty cents apiece in bulk, and save you the trouble of cleaning the brush every day. The wood is soft and clear and might be birch. It looks too pale to be pine, but I can't be certain. I just brush on a heavy coat of the stain, let it sit for about fifteen minutes, then wipe it off with a cheap terry cloth shop towel. I let it dry a few more minutes, then apply another coat of stain. After the third coat of stain, I let it dry overnight before applying the first coat of varnish. I started buffing out the first coat with 000 steel wool but quickly switched to 00 steel wool. The 000 didn't scuff it quickly enough and wore out too fast. The double-ought worked just right, IMHO. For the baseboards and door casings I was able to use a medium/fine sanding sponge, since they were straight with no egg-and-dart details. I finished them with 00 steel wool after the sanding sponges.

I finished all the baseboards and door casings Thursday night and put the first coat of varnish on the crown moldings this morning. I cut down the plinth blocks to match the height of the baseboards and put the second coat of varnish on the plinth blocks and rosettes. The crown moldings will be ready for buffing before 6 pm tonight, so I'll definitely get the second coat on them before heading off to bed. This afternoon, I'm taking up the last of the old baseboards and getting ready for the painter. I don't plan on nailing up any of the woodwork until the painter gets done Tuesday night. If I'm lucky I might be able to measure, cut, and test-fit everything this weekend.
post #12 of 156 Old 07-28-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I forgot to mention -- I showed the wife pictures of Ronnie Jackson's stage and proscenium earlier in the week, and she asked if I was going to do something like that, too. Man, you just gotta love it when she suggests you do something you wanted to all along, huh?
post #13 of 156 Old 07-28-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice job on the woodwork. Those kinds of details really can make a difference if you have the time, talent, and patience.

Any time you can get a dedicated room, you're way ahead.

And yes, it's all in the presentation. If it's HER idea, its SO much easier

Bryan

GIK Acoustics

post #14 of 156 Old 07-29-2006, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate your comments.

If we hadn't had so darned many problems with the !@#$%^&*?@! contractor during the renovations, I'd have left the room with no sheet rock and no trim, allowing for at least some acoustic treatments. I've been sorely tempted to tear down the sheet rock, but the WAF would plummet drastically. Earlier this week, I mentioned removing the wall between the room and the closet bumpouts to lengthen the overall space and she asked, "Why didn't you do that when it was all torn apart?" Well, I suppose it might have had something to do with her freaking out if I'd gone ahead and done it.

As it currently stands, I'm going to finish getting the room decorated and then build superchunk bass traps for the corners up to the chair rail. Once all the painting and woodwork is in place (a minimum of two or three weeks) I'll see about building a small stage for the front of the room. I took off the baseboards in that area Friday afternoon, so it's ready for some activity. I just don't think I am.
post #15 of 156 Old 07-29-2006, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah - every time you think you've got it figured out, they pull a fast one on you - leaving you stand there going "huh!?"

You can always put up panels later on - on top of the drywall to help tame things.

Bryan

GIK Acoustics

post #16 of 156 Old 07-31-2006, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, what a great (and busy!) weekend: I finished buffing and varnishing the crown molding Sunday morning. While the finish coat was drying, I stained and varnished the last plinth block to replace the one I borked while cutting it (the wrong side, at that.) I felt really energetic late in the afternoon and started nailing up the crown molding. The odd corners behind the door were short and simple and got me started. The rear wall was about two inches longer than an eight-foot stick so it got a splice. I found out exactly where my new mitre saw cuts at 45 degrees and worked out a decent splice. The two side walls were no harder than the rear wall and I was all done by 7 pm. You'd never know I hadn't used a pneumatic brad nailer or put up crown molding before. Hey, if the television personalities on all the home improvement shows can learn it, I can, right? I'm happy to say that none of the new table saw, mitre saw, or brad nailer inflicted any injuries on my person this weekend. Not even a bruise or ouchie. I'm thanking the HT muses this morning for my good fortune.

The painter is coming in this morning to start the faux finish work, but I'll be at work in a training session all day. I tried taking pictures this morning, but an empty room with white walls, dark ceiling, and dark red crown moldings doesn't offer much for the lens. I promise pictures of the paint progress this evening, though.
post #17 of 156 Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Here's how the front right corner looked after painting the ceiling a few weeks ago and putting up the crown molding yesterday:

This is the same corner after the base coats of red are on:

Tuesday, the painter will be applying a darker red glaze over this base color and applying small flecks of gold/yellow.
post #18 of 156 Old 08-01-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

. . . the painter totally disregarded my requests and suggestions for applying tiny spatters/flecks of gold throughout the red. I called from work mid-morning and suggested spattering the gold from a small brush (like a toothbrush) to achieve the effect I wanted. When I came home at lunchtime, she had brushed on some wide splotches of gold and covered them with dark red glaze. I repeated my suggestion for spattering before returning to work. When I got home after work, my wife had already written the check and let the painter go. Yup, the gold is completely wrong.

I believe I'm going to have a long telephone conversation with the painter tomorrow.
post #19 of 156 Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM

Were you paying her by the hour? If so, it doesn't make any sense why she wouldn't do what you wanted as it would have taken a while to finish.
post #20 of 156 Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

It was a fixed-price quote. I suspect she wasn't experienced in what I was suggesting, and didn't want to tell me that.
post #21 of 156 Old 08-02-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

The painter is coming back out this Friday to spatter the gold on. Here's what it looks like right now:

Same right front corner as previous pictures, this time with dark red glaze:

Close-up (darkened to correct flash) of the faux finish:
post #22 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

The painter came back out this morning, and I spent the first hour teaching her how to spatter paint. It was evident she had never learned or used the technique before. Fortunately, my patience was long and her learning curve was short. After several test spatters and an additional demonstration, she started working the walls and was done in just an hour and a half. I wisely stayed away from the room until she called me in to check on it, and it was almost perfect. By the time she had made a second pass around the room, it was better than I expected. I'm glad to say I finally got what I wanted, and she learned a new technique to use in her business.

The wife came back around lunch time and liked the look of it, too. Right after checking on it, she asked if I was going to start building the stage now. Pictures are coming right up (as soon as I can take and upload 'em.)
post #23 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorlonFog View Post

The painter came back out this morning, and I spent the first hour teaching her how to spatter paint. It was evident she had never learned or used the technique before. Fortunately, my patience was long and her learning curve was short. After several test spatters and an additional demonstration, she started working the walls and was done in just an hour and a half. I wisely stayed away from the room until she called me in to check on it, and it was almost perfect. By the time she had made a second pass around the room, it was better than I expected. I'm glad to say I finally got what I wanted, and she learned a new technique to use in her business.

The wife came back around lunch time and liked the look of it, too. Right after checking on it, she asked if I was going to start building the stage now. Pictures are coming right up (as soon as I can take and upload 'em.)

Looking great. You are giving me some ideas for my room as I want to repaint. But I have to ask.....why didn't you just do the painting yourself? If you had to teach the professional, it sounds as if you are more than capable.

Tony
post #24 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Looking great. You are giving me some ideas for my room as I want to repaint. But I have to ask.....why didn't you just do the painting yourself? If you had to teach the professional, it sounds as if you are more than capable.

Tony: Thanks for the compliments, but my gorilla-sized hands don't have the fine motor skills to do an entire three walls in such short time. I pound the keyboard all day for a living and figured a professional faux finish painter would have all the talent and skills to do the work quickly (not to mention more constistently) than me. This painter was referred to me by the painting contractor we've used for the last twelve years. He has connections to people you can't find in the phone book or online. It just turned out this particular lady does excellent faux finishes (I'm in awe of that portion of her work) and hadn't used spatter-painting before. For someone who hadn't done it before, she did a fantastic job this morning. (I also suspect she has tons more patience than do I )

Here's the photos I took this afternoon. The first two are test pieces done on heavy-weight artist's paper to insure we got the right effect and technique. The second two are different sections of the actual wall. I had to use a mini-tripod to keep a steady camera while not using the flash and I had to tweak the brightness and contrast to present something close to what the eye actually sees.

Test #1 - How NOT to do it (too many splatters and large drops)

Test #2 - How NOT to do it (getting closer, but an obvious drip)

Actual Wall #1 - Just what I wanted:

Actual Wall #2 - Just what I wanted:
post #25 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

She definitely did a great job. I'm quite artistic, but have never performed any fauz painting techniques. I've done several murals, but that's it. I love the red color with that glaze. Very nice.

Cant' wait to see the final pictures of the room.

Tony
post #26 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

p.s.: For anyone who's interested, there's a good photographic example of using spatter painting in many different colors to create a faux lapis lazuli effect here: http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/ambe...tom/effect.htm They use water-thinned gold paint and gold flaked powder to finish the effect.
post #27 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Tony: It's a small room (12' x 12') and tough to get a complete image with any details in it. I've already painted the ceiling dark chocolate grey, and there are six eyeball spots recessed three per side near the rear of the room. I think maybe I'll bring in my 2 x 500 watt halogen work light to illuminate the room more evenly for pictures when everything's finished.
post #28 of 156 Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

She definitely did a great job. I'm quite artistic, but have never performed any faux painting techniques. I've done several murals, but that's it. I love the red color with that glaze. Very nice.

Here are all the details (and links) on the paint I used:

Base - DURON #372-0107 - Design Accents Velvet Flat Acrylic Latex Interior Finish - Neutral Base
Color formula:
CHR-Colorant / OZ / 48 / 96 / 192
W-White / - / 2 / - / -
D-Green / - / 2 / 1 / -
V-Magenta / 2 / 3 /- / -
SS-Red / - / 34 / - / -
PX-Lt Yellow / - / 29 / 1 / -

Glaze - ZINSSER #04204 - Blend & Glaze Decorative Painting Liquid - Latex
Tinted with above Duron paint with additional black and brown/darker red colorant added. (There was no precise formula or label attached to the can, sorry.)

Gold - Delta Ceramcoat GLEAMS Acrylic Paint - #2604 Metallic 14K Gold - 2 oz.
Purchased at Michael's and thinned with tap water.

Spattering brush - #6 Royal Soft-Grip SG405FB Fan Brush - also purchased at Michael's.

For applying the base coat and decorative glaze, the painter simply rolled on two coats of the base paint. The sheet rock walls were already primed and painted an eggshell white by the builder. The first coat of the red base was quite thick, but still allowed some white/pink to show through. A second coat a few hours later brought it to a very nice Balmoral Red. The painter worked the glaze over the base coat on the second day. She applied the glaze in wide-spread X patterns over a portion of the wall. She then used another large water-moistened brush to work the glaze into swirls. She often misted the fresh glaze with water from a spray bottle to keep it workable.

The glaze had two days to dry and cure. She applied the base coat Monday, the glaze Tuesday, and the gold Friday. The best technique we found for spattering on the gold was to load the fan brush with thinned gold paint and knock off the excess. Then, holding the fan brush steady from three to five inches from the wall, pull back against the bristles with the edge of a paint stick (we used the freebies from the paint store.) This causes the paint to be flung at the wall with little back-spray getting on you. (It also beats the heck out of using a toothbrush and your fingers.) The spread of the fan brush gives the spatter a wider pattern and smaller droplets.

Hope this helps someone else, and good luck with your painting!
post #29 of 156 Old 08-05-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the explanation and the paint color. That looks so much better than just a plain 'Red' wall.

Tony
post #30 of 156 Old 08-05-2006, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Tony. The wife and I were discussing it at breakfast this morning while she was reading the homes section of the Charlotte newspaper. Seems someone had a dining room painted in "red leather" and the article was just gushing over it. I predicted in a few months we'll see pictures and an article on one of these new super high-end homes in town with my exact paint scheme in it. I imagine the newspaper article will report it as "an original and elegant design idea" by the home owners or their artist.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page