I've been lurking and reading threads here since I first purchased a Tivo several years ago. At that time, our home was a modest one-story of 1500 square feet with a master bedroom, a guest bedroom, and a small office. Most of 2005 was spent waiting on contractors to add a second story of about 1000 square feet. My plan was to convert the former master bedroom into the theatre room, but the contractors let tons of rain into the house when the roof was removed. The entire first floor had to be gutted to the studs: the plaster walls came down, the hardwood floors came up. It was a mixed blessing: the wiring and plumbing badly needed replacing and the walls and floors were showing their age. We also got all new insulation installed around and beneath the first floor.
It cost us several extra months out of the house, but it cost the contractors a hefty performance penalty, too.
It also allowed me time to run speaker cables for 5.1 sound in the walls, and DVI, 12VDC, and RS-232 cables for the projector overhead. We finally moved back into the house in late February of 2006
which meant loads of other work before anything could happen in the theatre room. I finally hung the screen and projector about a month ago to insure everything was okay. The wife enjoyed a couple of her favorite movies and I enjoyed the guilty pleasure that is The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Now that the initial pleasure of the big screen and big sound have been tested successfully (and thoroughly enjoyed) I've started redressing the room.
Two weeks ago we picked out two inexpensive 5x7 area rugs to cover most of the new hardwood floor. We took home several paint chips to determine the darkest garnet red we could use. The living room is painted a bold red, so the theatre continues that theme. We traveled to a local fabric outlet and selected two fabrics that would work with the overall room theme of garnet, black, and gold. I contacted a local faux painter for the upper walls and she'll be coming out 7/31 and 8/1 to put up a color similar to Ralph Lauren's Balmoral Red (RL TH44) with undertones of yellow/gold. Last weekend I painted the ceiling a dark chocolate grey from Lowes. It's a Valspar/American Tradition interior flat latex called Ebony Field (4004-2C), chosen to work with the garnet walls.
Last weekend I also started the largest effort: staining and varnishing the new egg-and-dart molding for the room to a deep red mahogany. I purchased only the chair rail first to insure the stain and satin polyurethane varnish would yield the color I wanted. The chair rail got three rounds of Minwax Red Mahogany #225 stain followed by two coats of Minwax Bombay Mahogany #380 PolyShades combination stain/varnish. My goal was to create a deep and dark red mahogany that looked several layers deep, and I've been pleased with the results. So Friday after work I went back to Lowes with my shopping list for baseboard, crown moldings and door casings. I'm working inside the 12'x12' room and limited by having only two sawhorses and a single dropcloth (left behind by the painters.) This weekend I've been working on the door casings and trim, but it's been slow going due to a few thunderstorms outdoors. The stain wipes easily enough, but the first coat of varnish requires overnight to dry enough for buffing with 000 steel wool.
Pictures are forthcoming. Right now I have to insure the WAF stays high by taking her out to lunch.