Shelton Art Deco Theatre - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 463 Old 01-15-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry it's been so long. No excuses though, just pictures !!

Okay, let's see, where should I start? How about the curtains. Looks like those were done on 12/9 Woops, kinda slow on the posting ... holidays right?

Here's the fabric. Basically 4 panels to cover a 10' section of windows on the left side of the theater. They're black velvet.

The actual curtain rod is 10'3". I couldn't find any rods that size in the big box stores so I made one out of galvanized 3/4" conduit. Used conduit joiners to add the extra length (took about 6" off the first section and then added 9" to get the right length -- that let me put the joiner piece in the curtain rod holder so you can't see it). No pictures of that -- if you need them, holar.

Here's my lovely wife sewing them together. I pinned them she sewed them, it went pretty fast.

Here they are hanging up.

A while back I had a few requests for photos of the sconces on with the lights off. Here are a couple shots.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 463 Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Liked: 10
Looking fantastic, Mike!

You'll be disappointed in me... I ended up returning my 533VAC. Went with a DefTech setup. Moving and don't have space for the separate sub, so had to go built-in.

Keep up the great work. You must be doing something right if your wife is even pitching in! With all my dreaming about having a separate theater room, I think the wifey's dreaming of building me a doghouse. lol
post #273 of 463 Old 01-15-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After a quick lesson in soldering pipes from my father I went to town making the 'T' for the cold water line. One side goes to the sink the other is split between the ice machine and soda fountain. Pay no attention to the burn marks on the melomine

Here's the creative plumbing. I had to put in a drain for the soda fountain and the ice machine as well as the double sink above. It all flows downhill and doesn't leak -- that's all you gotta know right? (Well, besides not chewing your fingernails after a repair job ).

And the final product.

Might as well throw in the pics of the door handles/pulls since we're looking at the cabinets anyway. These are the european stainless steel modern kind. Here's a closeup of the top cabinets.

The entire wet bar.

Running my normal luck one of the pulls had mismatched feet (if you call them that). That ended up with a fun little trip in the machine shop on the metal lathe at work. About an hour later it matched perfectly (yeah, I'm kinda slow, I don't use the lathe that often but I sure love it when I get the chance).

Mike
post #274 of 463 Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane_peterson View Post

Looking fantastic, Mike!

You'll be disappointed in me... I ended up returning my 533VAC. Went with a DefTech setup. Moving and don't have space for the separate sub, so had to go built-in.

Keep up the great work. You must be doing something right if your wife is even pitching in! With all my dreaming about having a separate theater room, I think the wifey's dreaming of building me a doghouse. lol

LOL! That's pretty funny. As long as the doghouse is about 16'x20' you should be okay

You didn't want to try the 533PT? They have the powered woofers in the side like the DefTechs. Not that it matters now

Later,
Mike
post #275 of 463 Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I had the pleasure of pulling out the paint again. Hopefully the last time. Mmm...actually, now that I think about it it's not. I still have to build the flush door for the equipment closet and that'll get painted black as well. Plus I still have to paint the light rims, the vents and the return. Oh well.

First thing was to finish painting the gray parts of the fan. Can't believe I started that so long ago and never finished painting it.

Then it was time to paint the center portion of the top fan piece. It has a red center section (two of them actually) with a 3/8" black outside (as well as the sides and back). Just before I started taping it up it occurred to me I hadn't thought about how I wanted it to look -- a single section, double section 3/8" gap or double section 3/4" gap? I colored a quick hand drawing (thanks for letting me use the markers kids!) and settled on a double section with 3/4" gap. My wife was once again rolling her eyes when she saw me staring at the picture trying to decide.

Here it is finished. Looks like I didn't take any photos of it when the tape came off. But that's okay because I actually hung it today and have plenty of photos of that

So, without further ado -- here's what I've been fretting and looking forward to for a long time -- my Art Deco Fan

First thing was to install the base that sort of holds it all up as well as covers the bottom of all the pieces so it looks good hung up.

I realized a week ago that the bottom fan piece rests on the top level of the proscenial arch and that wouldn't be much space to glue and nail the piece to securely. Each piece is made of 3/4" MDF so as you can imagine the entire setup is pretty heavy and I didn't think a couple of pocket screws and wood glue would hold the whole thing up with just the base. As a result I went ahead and built a 6" block of glued up MDF and glued/screwed it to the bottom arch piece as well as glued it to the base. After it dried the base wasn't going anywhere and I had a lot more real estate to nail the next levels to.

Here you can see where I scraped off the paint for the top part of the fan piece to glue to the arch. Definitely not a lot of gluing area but with the glue block I have plenty now.

More photos in the next post...

Mike
post #276 of 463 Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the original plan as I was taking photos was to use the camera on a tripod and shoot each piece as it went up so I could scroll through them and see each level (yeah, I'm that much of a nerd). But somewhere between the stress of focusing on making sure each piece lined up properly with the last I missed a few. Here's the first 3 layers already up.

Fourth layer.

Fifth and final layer before the top piece goes on. It was nice and flush with the base piece (worried that I might have pushed the layers out just a smidge too much once I put the glue on but it worked out perfectly).

Now the tricky part. With each of the previous layers I used glue (wherever you saw the areas with no paint) and 4 18ga 1-1/4" brads. Plenty secure. However, with the top piece I wanted to only use glue -- no brads, I didn't want to have to fill the holes (they fill okay, but not perfectly and if you can't tell by now, I definitely like perfection ). So to help out with holding it in place while the wood glue dried (which once dry it wasn't going to go anywhere but I couldn't afford to have it slowly slip overnight or something -- that would be miserable!) I built a top piece to sit on the lower layers. It's basically a small block that pocket screws into the back and simply sits on top of the lower layers (with glue of course).

Then I glued up all the edges that needed glue and put the top piece in place. A bit of tape to hold it for the first 30 minutes or so. I put some paper towels under the tape on the front of it so that it wouldn't pull up the red layer when I pulled it off later (I don't even want to contemplate how sick I'd have been if that happened).

And finally the finished product -- just like I always wanted it to be

I'll get some photos of the whole screen area tomorrow when the light comes up, the night time shots are okay but I'm hoping they're better in full light. [Ugh, and maybe put up a full size shot -- the resized ones are leaving ugly compression artifacts in the red area.]

Mike
post #277 of 463 Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 AM

Mike,

Love the drapes! Wish I knew how to sew curtains like your wife. Lucky guy! Where did you get your velvet? At JoAnn Fabrics, their velvet ran $30/yd. That seemed too steep to me.
post #278 of 463 Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_rostowsky View Post

At JoAnn Fabrics, their velvet ran $30/yd. That seemed too steep to me.

Get on their mailing list and you'll get 40% off coupons (sometimes 50%) every week. It saved me a bundle on the Velvet for my screen frame.
post #279 of 463 Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[EDIT: I updated the photos on my server because the jpeg artifacts were bugging me, they're much cleaner now and I'll resize my photos like that from now on. If you've already seen the pictures you'll need to refresh (F5 or whatever) to see then most likely.]

Just realized that by the time I get home it'll be dark again so I won't get daylight shots until Saturday. In the meantime here are a couple of side shots of the fan and a full screen shot as well.

Mike
post #280 of 463 Old 01-16-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mike,

Love the drapes! Wish I knew how to sew curtains like your wife. Lucky guy! Where did you get your velvet? At JoAnn Fabrics, their velvet ran $30/yd. That seemed too steep to me.

LOL! You're gonna love the response I got from my wife when I sent her an email requesting where we got the fabric at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Great Wife View Post

So my little pancake,
Are you working today or are you lounging on the AVS forum??? You need to tell all your AVS friends that most cities have a bulk/remnant/old stock fabric store. That's where they need to go. If they're looking for that special velvet like you got for around your screen, then that might be harder to find, but basic black velvet is always at those stores. I got all of your black velvet for less than $60.00! It was $2.99 a yard. The coupons for JoAnn fabric definitely help, but it can still be super spendy.

Mike
post #281 of 463 Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 PM

That looks freaking sweet! I might download this thread for future reference in a few years, if you don't mind.
post #282 of 463 Old 01-17-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I got all of your black velvet for less than $60.00! It was $2.99 a yard.

Wow! Nice. Time to find the local bulk fabric store...

Thanks my little pancake!
post #283 of 463 Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane_peterson View Post

That looks freaking sweet! I might download this thread for future reference in a few years, if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all Glad you like!

Mike
post #284 of 463 Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow! Nice. Time to find the local bulk fabric store...

Thanks my little pancake!

LOL! You're welcome. (Wonder what my wife will say when she reads this. The phone hasn't rung ... yet).

Mike
post #285 of 463 Old 01-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:

LOL! You're welcome. (Wonder what my wife will say when she reads this. The phone hasn't rung ... yet).

LOL! All in good fun! I wont post what my wife calls me...

Great work! Love the detail on the symbol thingy above the screen (what do you call that anyway?). Its got great visual depth and appeal! Amazing.
post #286 of 463 Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! I've been calling it the "Art Deco Fan". Have no idea what it's really called but it took me long enough to finish (was pretty nervous about making sure it turned out right). But I'm happy with it and now I've switched my nervousness to the light to illuminate it. I'm not sure if I should go with a track light or a canned light with one of the those pointy eyelid type things to direct the light at it. So many choices ...

Mike
post #287 of 463 Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM

While I'm terribly distracted with other things, I'll throw in a wild-*ss suggestion:
Place some sculpted letters on the center piece for your theatre name.
post #288 of 463 Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

Thanks! I've been calling it the "Art Deco Fan". Have no idea what it's really called but it took me long enough to finish (was pretty nervous about making sure it turned out right). But I'm happy with it and now I've switched my nervousness to the light to illuminate it. I'm not sure if I should go with a track light or a canned light with one of the those pointy eyelid type things to direct the light at it. So many choices ...Mike

It screams for a neon border. On a dimmer, of course.

TonyW
post #289 of 463 Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You know, it's funny you should say that...

I've been surprised by how flat it looks (it sticks out 4.5" from the top of the arch and each layer is 3/4"). I don't know if it's the colors, the sheen of the paint, the lack of lighting or what?

My current plan is to put an eyeball light in the ceiling in front of it and point it down across the fan so you can see the depth of each layer. When you said neon I did have a slight image of some sort of light behind it and wondered what that might look like ... my poor wife will not be happy with yet another "idea"

Gonna have to think about that one (neon no, but light behind yes -- though I do admit that neon would probably look cool!). Thanks for the idea

Mike
post #290 of 463 Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM

Why don't you install a small flourescent tube light behind, and a projection light in front? Try to have matching temperatures... and as close to real sunlight CRI as possible.

That's my 2 cents. It looks good nonetheless!
post #291 of 463 Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sad news today ... I sold my soda fountain. I'm still sick to my stomach about it, I'd dreamed about having my own soda fountain for years!! But alas, it was not meant to be. Just too danged expensive to keep it operating and the worst part is that my favorite drink is Peach Citrus Fresca which they don't make in syrup -- I also like caffeine free Diet Dr. Pepper and that doesn't come in syrup either. So basically I would have ended up with an 8 head machine to run Diet Coke for my wife and Root Beer for the kids.

The worst part of the day? When I came home for dinner and told the kids I had sold it. They started crying!! My oldest was actually mad at me and left the room. Whoa?! Who knew they were so attached, I'd only used it twice in the past 8 months of owning it. Even my brother who helped me get it all unhooked was surprised and a bit annoyed (he almost lost an eye from high pressure Dr. Pepper -- we were amatuers at best working on that thing).

Ugh, I still feel sick about it. Dang. Maybe when the kids are teenagers I'll look into getting a smaller unit for when friends come over or something. Although I have decided I do want to get a "Sonic Ice" machine (i.e. Nugget Ice) up there and use that for ice and just put the pop in my fridge.

Mike
post #292 of 463 Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 AM

What an awesome account of your theater construction! I just stumbled across this thread and I too love art deco! Great job and although it stinks you had to sell the machine, it's darn cool what you still have.

What's the plan for the SuperBowl?

Rich
post #293 of 463 Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Rich, glad you like it!

As for the super bowl ... hmmm ... you may find my answer sacrilegious. I'm not a big fan of the NFL (I absolutely love NCAA football -- in fact I was 20 rows up from the endzone on the 1 yard line at the Fiesta Bowl when Ian Johnson scored the 2 point conversion on the Statue of Liberty play I'm a Boise State grad and LOVE my broncos!!).

So what are my plans? Uh, I have church from 3:00pm to 6:00pm and by the time we get home, eat and get the kids in bed for school the next day it'll be over (but I'll scour the web for the commercials on Monday!).

Okay, flame suit on -- fire away (be nice if possible ...)

Mike
post #294 of 463 Old 02-03-2007, 11:07 AM

Mike,

Haha, nice to know your priorities are so good. I enjoy the NFL so of course will be watching the game, but I don't take anything away from you on the college thing or that you won't watch the Super Bowl.

There is NOTHING like college atmosphere at sporting events. Basketball, football, etc.

Rich
post #295 of 463 Old 02-06-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

There is NOTHING like college atmosphere at sporting events. Basketball, football, etc.

Rich

I second that. I went with my wife to the Notre Dame alumni band home game (wife was in the ND marching band) a few months ago and it was an eye opening experience. I went to a university with no football team so I had never experienced anything like that!
post #296 of 463 Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Mike,

Great looking theater, Way above average!!!

I have a wetbar in my theater room also, how did you make the transition from tile to carpet? Do your carpet installers just butt up against the tile or do you have to do something with the edge of tile that meets the carpet?

Thanks for the help.

James
post #297 of 463 Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks!

I went back and forth on that one many times. I ended up just going carpet to tile. The installers just put tack boards up against the tile and the carpet installed perfectly. I think it turned out nice. The only other option that I know of is to put a metal divider that slides under the tile and overlays the edge just a bit. I was concerned it would look tacky.

One thing I probably should have done that you might want to consider is to take a diamond file and run it along the edge of the tile (where it will meet the carpet) to take the edge off the tile -- mine were on a diagonal so fresh cut edges were against the carpet and they're a bit sharp. I'll probably tape the carpet and soften the edges sometime in the future but it's low on the priority list at this point.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Mike
post #298 of 463 Old 07-12-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For fun my buddy and I stopped by our local hi-end audio/video shop over lunch today. What a treat. They have a super high end room they call their "Wow Room". I think they said they spent something like $300,000 on the room. It was AMAZING. It was setup for movies but 2 channel audio as well. My buddy and I brought our own music to test out their 2 channel setup. The room has $80,000 in sound treatment (you could tell) and all CLASSE equipment with Wilson Audio Maxx Series 2 for LR.

Our tracks (they were all incredible) were:

Diana Krall - Temptation (Girl Next Door SACD)
Gladiator Soundtrack - Track 9
Norah Jones - Come away with me
Alison Krauss - Boy who would hoe corn (disc 2 of their Live concert)
Norah Jones - Sinkin' soon (Not too Late)

Temptation is probably my favorite Diana song but surprisingly my system at home plays it almost as well as the $300,000 one. The Gladiator soundtrack is punishing to lesser systems and the Wilson Audios really pumped this one out, it was great.

I think my two favorite songs were the Alison Krauss song (it starts out with a Dobro solo that's out of this world and then all the others come in -- really felt like we were at the concert) and the Norah Jones "Sinkin' Soon". Kind of a weird song the first time you hear it but if you pay attention you'll hear all kinds of different instruments and their positioning is all over, it's really a fun song to listen to. The Wilsons did a great job keeping everything clear and really producing a wall of sound versus multiple points of sound (hard to explain, but it was impressive).

Mike
post #299 of 463 Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM

I got to demo some Wilson WATT Puppy 8s and Maxx's not too long ago. Truly brings a new meaning to "full range" IMO. Never heard anything like it. Lots of fun, and definitely gets my gears turning as to how I could piece together some equipment like that.

Not in this lifetime, I'm afraid...
post #300 of 463 Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I came away with from the experience. Wonderful sound but worth $45,000? (Just for the speakers -- I imagine I'd want to upgrade from my Denon 3806 at the same time)

I did come away with a small checklist of future upgrades though:
  • Sound treatment a must -- I could hear where my room modes are in my music (there weren't over pronounced parts here and there with the sound like in my room). Complex sections weren't all muddled (not that it's bad in my room, just a touch is all -- Audessy probably helps with that).
  • Better projector. They had a $30,000 1080p Runco and I definitely was seeing things in movies that I don't with my 480p Optoma H31. But that was in the plans anyway once the bulb goes out, probably the new Panny 100x (720p).
  • Finish my room -- LOL! Seriously. Turns out a completely finished room looks better than a 90% finished one.
  • Get my surrounds setup better. I think I messed that up in my first attempt.
  • Second subwoofer. Being above the garage I lose about half my bass.

Not too bad when you really get down to it. I was worried after going and seeing a $300,000 room I'd have room envy REALLY, REALLY bad. But it wasn't as bad as I thought. I love the look of my room still, just a few tweaks to get it where I really want it.

Mike
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page