Well, I had the pleasure of pulling out the paint again. Hopefully the last time. Mmm...actually, now that I think about it it's not. I still have to build the flush door for the equipment closet and that'll get painted black as well. Plus I still have to paint the light rims, the vents and the return. Oh well.
First thing was to finish painting the gray parts of the fan. Can't believe I started that so long ago and never finished painting it.
Then it was time to paint the center portion of the top fan piece. It has a red center section (two of them actually) with a 3/8" black outside (as well as the sides and back). Just before I started taping it up it occurred to me I hadn't thought about how I wanted it to look -- a single section, double section 3/8" gap or double section 3/4" gap? I colored a quick hand drawing (thanks for letting me use the markers kids!) and settled on a double section with 3/4" gap. My wife was once again rolling her eyes when she saw me staring at the picture trying to decide.
Here it is finished. Looks like I didn't take any photos of it when the tape came off. But that's okay because I actually hung it today and have plenty of photos of that
So, without further ado -- here's what I've been fretting and looking forward to for a long time -- my Art Deco Fan
First thing was to install the base that sort of holds it all up as well as covers the bottom of all the pieces so it looks good hung up.
I realized a week ago that the bottom fan piece rests on the top level of the proscenial arch and that wouldn't be much space to glue and nail the piece to securely. Each piece is made of 3/4" MDF so as you can imagine the entire setup is pretty heavy and I didn't think a couple of pocket screws and wood glue would hold the whole thing up with just the base. As a result I went ahead and built a 6" block of glued up MDF and glued/screwed it to the bottom arch piece as well as glued it to the base. After it dried the base wasn't going anywhere and I had a lot more real estate to nail the next levels to.
Here you can see where I scraped off the paint for the top part of the fan piece to glue to the arch. Definitely not a lot of gluing area but with the glue block I have plenty now.
More photos in the next post...