Well I guess it's time for me to start this thread. It will most definitely not be as elaborate as many of the threads, and projects that you all are doing and have done. I have been following your experiences for over a year now, and I must say you're all an impressive bunch with lots of passion for HT. There is no shortage of intelligent, passionate, tenatious people here who command respect for what they have done with their theaters. I only hope that I can contribute back in some way through my experiences.
Last year I bought (built) a new house and had a media room option included, so most of the hard work is done. I have made various plans along the way which include building a riser and building out the screen wall.
Currently the room is fairly appointed. It is 13'W X 18'L X 10'H with a vaulted ceiling. It has nice pilasters with sconces, and has an equipment closed complete with structured wiring, HVAC register (also an intake in the theater entrance) and pass through shelving. I framed out the pass through, which was a drywall finished hole in the wall between the closet and the theater, and built a glass door for it. I have a polywall DIY screen and a PLZ3 projector. Pics can be seen at my site in my sig. Click on the mediaroom folder.
My current project is to build out the screen wall. I have been busy building the past couple of weeks, mainly working nights after the kids are in bed. Things move slowly only working a couple of hours a day on this stuff.
I have the basic structure built and I am now working on the trim. The wall is divided into four independent parts and will be assembled in the room. Here is the drawing:
The idea is to provide cabinets to hide the speakers and to provide storage for DVDs and CDs. I have front ported speakers (B&W 602s) that will be contained in the lower portion of the columns, the center will be in the lower cabinet. I am still concerned with acoustic issues due to the enclosure, but I think I can counter that somewhat with treatment inside the cabinet and sealing off the cabinet from front of the speakers.
The structure is made of birch plywood and the facing is maple. Virtually none of the birch will be visible in the room. The plan is to tint the maple with a dye and top coat it with clear lacquer.
I spent a few hours today building my first door. It takes a lot of time to make a door. They require routing the door edge profile, the stile and rails and, for the solid doors, gluing up the raw stock and raising the panels. The panels take three passes on the router since the cut is so deep.
Progress can be seen at www.randylowe.com/mediaroom/construction
Let me know what you think.
I am also looking for advise as far as acoustic treatments are concerned. I have read lots of posts regarding treatments here, and let me say there is a lot to be learned. If you have ideas on what might work for my room, please jump in and share.