Lowe's Construction thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-16-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I guess it's time for me to start this thread. It will most definitely not be as elaborate as many of the threads, and projects that you all are doing and have done. I have been following your experiences for over a year now, and I must say you're all an impressive bunch with lots of passion for HT. There is no shortage of intelligent, passionate, tenatious people here who command respect for what they have done with their theaters. I only hope that I can contribute back in some way through my experiences.

Last year I bought (built) a new house and had a media room option included, so most of the hard work is done. I have made various plans along the way which include building a riser and building out the screen wall.

Currently the room is fairly appointed. It is 13'W X 18'L X 10'H with a vaulted ceiling. It has nice pilasters with sconces, and has an equipment closed complete with structured wiring, HVAC register (also an intake in the theater entrance) and pass through shelving. I framed out the pass through, which was a drywall finished hole in the wall between the closet and the theater, and built a glass door for it. I have a polywall DIY screen and a PLZ3 projector. Pics can be seen at my site in my sig. Click on the mediaroom folder.

My current project is to build out the screen wall. I have been busy building the past couple of weeks, mainly working nights after the kids are in bed. Things move slowly only working a couple of hours a day on this stuff.

I have the basic structure built and I am now working on the trim. The wall is divided into four independent parts and will be assembled in the room. Here is the drawing:

The idea is to provide cabinets to hide the speakers and to provide storage for DVDs and CDs. I have front ported speakers (B&W 602s) that will be contained in the lower portion of the columns, the center will be in the lower cabinet. I am still concerned with acoustic issues due to the enclosure, but I think I can counter that somewhat with treatment inside the cabinet and sealing off the cabinet from front of the speakers.

The structure is made of birch plywood and the facing is maple. Virtually none of the birch will be visible in the room. The plan is to tint the maple with a dye and top coat it with clear lacquer.

I spent a few hours today building my first door. It takes a lot of time to make a door. They require routing the door edge profile, the stile and rails and, for the solid doors, gluing up the raw stock and raising the panels. The panels take three passes on the router since the cut is so deep.

Progress can be seen at www.randylowe.com/mediaroom/construction.

Let me know what you think.

I am also looking for advise as far as acoustic treatments are concerned. I have read lots of posts regarding treatments here, and let me say there is a lot to be learned. If you have ideas on what might work for my room, please jump in and share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-20-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

More progress this weekend. I have all the panel frames cut out. The one's for fabric panels are glued up. I cut the second solid panel for the other column and glued up the stock for one of three solid panels for the top span. I need to hit Lowe's for some hinges. My HD does not have the ones I like and, believe it or not, Lowe's has them cheaper. All said, I will have seven functional doors, five with cloth panels and two with solid panels. I need to order the GOM to construct the cloth panels soon.

On a side note, I also have a nice adjustable shelf unit that I built for my daughter. You can see it behind the wall unit in the pics. It has been done for about a year, but I have been putting off painting. I bought a new HVLP turbine setup and need to order the paint. I am going to use this project as a tune up project for my wall unit. I hope to use a shelac sealer and top coat with lacquer. I am thinking of using water based from Target Coatings to avoid the nasty toxic fumes from the solvent based.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 AM

Great work on the cabinets and doors!!
post #4 of 23 Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Looks really good.

Adam

Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Wine?" Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-22-2006, 04:36 AM

Man, that is looking good. Keep up the great work.....I definately do not have those types of skills

-Dave
-There are Ten Thunders in the Wake: The Seventh Thunder is Tribal Man again. --Triumph 1984
-My HT Blog (archived) and Photo Gallery
post #6 of 23 Old 08-27-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I finaly got all the doors built and installed. The thing is starting to look like a wall! My neighbors have been curious. Lots of late nights sawing and routing.

Next up is to route the three panels for the top bridge, mount the bridge, order the GOM, and dry fit it into the theater.

post #7 of 23 Old 08-27-2006, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's really going to look sharp. Keep the pics coming. What kind of stain or finish are you going to do?

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

OK. I have the final panels complete and dry fit in the garage. Next steps are:
cut my current screen down to fit. It is 4X8 right now so I have to cut down on the length.
  1. Cut my 4X8 screen down to fit.
  2. Build the fabric panels.
  3. Set it up and fit it in the theater.
  4. Order the finish.
  5. Finish the wood.
  6. Set up and enjoy!

post #9 of 23 Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

My GOM arrived a day early! I guess its time to make those inserts for the open panel doors. Got a friend coming by this weekend to help me haul it all upstairs for a dry fit. Should be fun. Then I get to disassemble and sand, and sand, and sand some more.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Horton View Post

That's really going to look sharp. Keep the pics coming. What kind of stain or finish are you going to do?

Thanks!

I am thinking of doing a shellac sealer/toner and top coat with clear lacquer. I have a new HVLP that I need to take on a test drive
post #11 of 23 Old 09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Wow! You are a wickedly good craftsman!

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #12 of 23 Old 09-06-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Gonzo. I have had many 'practice' projects where I made firewood out of some expensive stock
post #13 of 23 Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

I made it into the garage this evening. I started the GOM panels for the speaker cabinets. Earlier today I ran into Harbor Freight and picked up the cheapest tool I own. Its a staple gun. Man, I am glad I did. For twenty bucks I can throw it away when I am done and it will still be a bargain.

Here is a pic of the progress. More pics on my site in my sig.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

After school started my life got busier again and I put my projects on hold. This past week I took some time off to finish up.

It took the better part of a day to prep the screen wall for finish. I had to fit and install the crown and baseboards. One note here, I decided to cut the trim so that I have four individual parts to the wall vs trimming all the way across once its installed in the room. This allows me the option to remove the column that is closest to the entry in case I need to move in some large furniture.

I had to sand, fill imperfections, etc. Then gathering up the finishing supplies was no simple task either. I ended up driving all over town getting specialty supplies. The finishing schedule was as follows:
  • Clear Zinzzer shellac tinted with Medium Brown Transtint
  • Several coats of clear simi-gloss lacquer (Sherwin Williams)
  • Rub to satin with 0000 wool

Both products were sprayed on using an HVLP sprayer. The issue for me was that I do not have a proper spray booth, so I have to do it outside. We had quite a bit of wind which was a problem, and you can see the imperfections due to that in the work. I decided that I had no choice if I wanted to get this project done, and made the best of it.

Here is the wall fresh from finishing:
post #15 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Once I got it all done, it was time to fit it into the room. With some help from a good friend, I hauled it upstairs, and put it all into place. Then I shimmed the top to account for the offset at the baseboard, and screwed it into place. Once in place we mounted the screen inside the opening, and fastened it through the sides of the columns. Then it was just a matter of trimming out the screen with a felt frame. We already covered the shadow box with felt before hand.

Then it was on to paint. I decided on Behr Myan Gold and Ralph Lauren Club Navy for the ceiling. That was a fun job

Here is the final results:
post #16 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Right wall. Need to paint the closet :

Speakers:

Entrance, gives you and ideal of depth:
post #17 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 AM

Nice cabinet!
post #18 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #19 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. A lot of hard work went into this project. Not quite as much as some who build our their theaters from scratch, but enough sweat to count.

So here is what is left:
  • Paint the inside of the cabinet flat black
  • Build some shelves for the inside of the cabinet. (Shelf pin holes are already drilled
  • Paint the eq closet. Probably the same blue as the ceiling
  • Install an exhaust fan in the eq closet. Hook it up with a thermostat
  • Might build a riser in the back to do tiered seating
post #20 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work. I really like the color on your walls.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
post #21 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BoomerBrian
post #22 of 23 Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm in awe of your woodworking and staining skills. Just downright sweet.

Hey, I'm also wondering about your speakers. I so happen to have me a set of B&W 602s! I'm wondering how they sound in your space there for dedicated HT? What are your surrounds? I have the LM1s (I believe, it's been a few years and my memory fades...) and the B&W sub. Does the center sound better if it's vertical instead of horizontal?

I'm thinking of buying either a couple more 602s to match the rear or staying within budget and just adding two more LMs for 7.1 sound. What do you think?
post #23 of 23 Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

MrWrite:

I personally think the 602s are great in a theater environment. Where I think they are lacking are in 2 channel music. You really have to have a good sub to go with them. Overall, I am satisfied, particularly for the cost. That said, I am very happy with my 602s, and they outperform many more expensive, and larger footprint speakers. I power them with an old H/K AVR and they mate very nicely. I have considered going to a Rotel amplification which would be oh so sweet. What is great about the 602s is that the highs and mids are very good and they do not have the low end getting in the way of that. When I auditioned them, paired with a good paradigm sub, they clearly out performed many of the towers I listened to.

I originally had the little center channel, I think it was called the CC6. I traded it in for the LCR60 which has a more natural voice to it. The specs for the axis lend to it being set up vertically.

My rears are in-walls that I bought when my theater doubled as the den. They are B&W CWM500s and they do an OK job. I probably would benefit from a bit from a proper speaker, but, if you go to a 7.1 setup, all the speakers in the room would be cumbersome unless you do like so many I have seen here and hide them in a substantial column. For me, I am sticking to in-walls. They make some really good ones now.

If you are going to go with in-room speakers, you might consider getting a used pair of 601s. I bet those would work nicely with the 602s.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page