One Rack Alternative - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since there are regular postings about how people handle there rack I thought I'd share my solution. My theater was not new construction. In order to accomodate the rack size I needed I realized I wouldn't have rear access. The pull out racks Middle Atlantic make are nice but I thought maybe I'd try something less expensive to see if it works. Its not as easy but I put the majority of my amps and equipment on slides. It was a bit of a struggle but once I got everything lined up and found a nice long screwdriver I was able to secure the slides in place. I built my cabinets extra deep at 28" and my slides are 26" therefore when they are out - I have at least 12" of working room behind them. I figured I saved at least $1000 for each side for a little extra work on my part.

Some other issues - heat. I bought cabinet door frames only. Instead of glass I stapled some of my wall fabric. Air flows freely through them and I have two top fan units circulating hot air out. I can feel the hot air coming through the fabric when the doors are shut. One other benefit is that IR can pass through this fabric. The fabric isn't GOM so I'm not sure if this is unique to my fabric.

My first picture is prior to cleaning my cables up but I didn't get a clip of them with thier nice service loop all tie wrapped in. I also threw in a picture of my front so you can get an idea of my front screen area. The area to the left of the screen is storage, under the screen is storage, below the speaker grill cloth are 3- 28x48" drawers for media.

One last thought - I have some smoke plexiglass coming to cover up that ugly silver DVR from DISH. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

My rack strategy might not work for everyone but it worked for me and I'm pretty happy with the results. By the way - still waiting for seating. Soon, very soon I'm told.

Cheers,
Grant
LL
LL
LL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looks very clean with everything in its place. Very nice design.

You could wrap the wood part of the doors with fabric to hide them a little more if that's an issue for you. But with the lights off I doubt you will ever notice them.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in progress.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2006, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I thought about that but they really aren't as shiny as they look in the pictures. The flash really bounces. In regular lighting they look much more flat.

Thanks for the complement,
Grant

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2006, 06:17 AM

Very nice.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Wow, yeah, that is really nice!! I like your room decor as well. The lights and sconces especially.

Mike

post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2006, 08:46 AM

Very mean looking rack! Almost a shame to cover her with doors! Great job!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2006, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the 'nice rack' comments. I take the compliment better than my wife. I also like showing them off more than she does. If it were up to me they'd be uncovered for all to see.

Can you tell she's not a reader?

Haha,
Grant

post #8 of 8 Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 AM

GrantOV,

Nice job, funny rack comments!

I like several things about your solution, the two things I like most being the nice look, and the slide-out being for each component individually (am I seein that correctly?). Using this strategy, the torque on the back brackets is a lot less. No problems with 26" extension of a 50lb device say (i.e. 108ft-lbs of torque)? Can you give any more detail on exactly what parts you used?

Thx!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page