WOOLFMAN'S Home theater Construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 08-24-2006, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All - The time has come to get started on the much anticipated home theater. I finalized plans and preparing to order supplies to get this underway. As others here do, I will update as I go and welcome any and all feedback. Iwill be doing gg dd as well as doube stud walls for room islation with linacoustic and GOM and al of the other fixings. My HT will be 24 x 17 with a built in screen wall and speakers with grill material covering all areas. I will be doing a elongated hexagon tray ceiling with a starfield much like the fly-in theater. That one is awesome! My equipment is as follows and I would like feedback on that if you wish to contribute.

SIM2 Projector Domino 80 when released at the end of October. I hear this thing is awseome
110" Screen with black felt border
Integra dtr6.7 or Denon avr3806
JM Labs Focal 908 l and r
JM Labs Focal cc908 center
JM Labs Focal IW 106 In walls rear l and r
JM Labs Focal IC 106 In Ceiling
JM Labs Focal Profil 908 Subwoofer
Pure AV 13 Outket line conditioner
MX-3000 remote
Lutron Grafik Eye 3104

I am going with a 7.1 set-up for the HT.

I will be dong 2 rows of berkoliners with the 2nd row on a riser about 12 3/4 inches off the ground. The screen wall will be wrapped in black velvet in the inset area of the screen and then black gom around the speaker openings.

Along the side walls, I will be doing wall treatments for sound absorption as wel as adding some nice interior design to compliment the Tuscan look i am trying to achieve. This may change however depending on how things go.

I will get the 1st photos up as soon as I get underway!

Woolfman

WOOLFMAN

WOOLFMAN THEATER Construction thread

One small job for mankind, one hell of a build for 1 guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Thats a nice size room. Have you thought about going 2.35 constant hight?

New Theater Construction

Existing Theater Walkthrough Video

Existing theater photos

2.35 AR is suppose to be bigger than 1.78 AR not smaller!
post #3 of 42 Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I have finally got the HT framed. I hace attached many photos for your viewing pleasure. I broken the basement up into 3 areas. A playroom for the kids, Home Theater (of Course) and a bar area. In the HT, i did a elongated octogon tray ceiling which will house crown moulding as well as a fiber optic star field. I am going to try and stick with a venetian feel so the colors will be a little darker for optimum feeling of warmtn and coziness (WAF). The compents will be in a rack away from the area. Check out the pix...
LL
LL
LL

WOOLFMAN

post #4 of 42 Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some more pix.
LL
LL
LL

WOOLFMAN

post #5 of 42 Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

And yet more...
LL

WOOLFMAN

post #6 of 42 Old 09-25-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking good woolfman. What's your ceiling height, out of curiosity? Do you have any example pics of what you're thinking of re: "Venetian feel", and color selection? I have always liked that architectural style as well, but wondering what elements you're planning to pull it off in an HT.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-26-2006, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Looking good woolfman. What's your ceiling height, out of curiosity? Do you have any example pics of what you're thinking of re: "Venetian feel", and color selection? I have always liked that architectural style as well, but wondering what elements you're planning to pull it off in an HT.

This summer we went to Vegas and stayed at the Venetian. I took many photos here and got a good sense of what I wanted. Earth tones and rustic tiles seems to be the way to go. I have consulted some interior design folks and they have said I am on the right track. I will be doing a plaster effect to the drywall. I will also be doing a fiber optic ceiling with a starfield that will look like you were in Tuscany at night. I have some final details to work out but this is what I am going after. I will post colors and pix as I get to it.

WOOLFMAN

post #8 of 42 Old 09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks, looking forward to following your progress...
post #9 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Brad I will keep this updated. I have gotten the framing and electrical complete and started drywall. I am about 75% done. I have double layered the ceiling and used the infamous gg. Man is the wife pi$$ed at the dust. Wait till i get to sand . Things are coming along well. Hopefully I will get the drywall finished tonight and get the 1st tape coat on.
LL
LL
LL

WOOLFMAN

post #10 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Here are the drywall shots. I am not looking forward to finshing the ceiling smooth. I wish i could texture it but i do not think it would look right in the are where the ceiling drops to 7' anyone care to comment?
LL
LL
LL

WOOLFMAN

post #11 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I vote smooth. Looks much nicer IMO. Looks great by the way and can't wait to see more pictures.

post #12 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Wow, are you doing this all yourself? It seems you are moving at record speed, or are some of your first pics from months ago? Looks great, keep the pictures coming.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #13 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Doing most of it myself. I had the plumbing done by a pro as I did not feel comfortable cutting into the main drain to connect the bar sink as well as running the gas line ot the fireplace. If i ran the gas line i could see my theater becoming the "Exploding Theater". As far as drywall, i have done it with 4 other buddies helping me. My last house I finished 1500 square foot in 2 months i am shooting for this one in 6 weeks. We'll wait and see if I can get'er done in that time barring the wife stays happy and the kids. I am trying to get this done so I can enjoy my Bengals winning season for once. Now when i say finished, that doesn't include all of the GOM and Fiber Optics. I have had a lot of inspiration from you all here. I think am moving a little quicked as I have been reading here on the forums for a while and have picked up a lot of excellentt hings such as Chinadogs basement and Sandmans as well as the Fly-In. I have let others do the hard work and I have reaped the benefits. I hope as I get further into this others will reap from me something and use it.

WOOLFMAN

post #14 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyGib View Post

Thats a nice size room. Have you thought about going 2.35 constant height?

I was also wondering this.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan NSX View Post

I was also wondering this.

I have thought about it but for now will forego it. I will do a 16:9 screen 110" to start. I am looking at a ht3000 or the new d80 which is supposed to be due out soon. I need to do a little more research on this so I fully understand what i need to do a 2:35:1 constant height screen and what parts are needed. I understamd the basic concept but i hate to do anything I fully do not understand.

WOOLFMAN

post #16 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I like the room (and the sig) Woolfman!

A question about the tray ceiling: why did you use MDF on the sides rather than drywall? I've seen a lot of people do this - is it preferred? How will you finish it?
post #17 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

I like the room (and the sig) Woolfman!

A question about the tray ceiling: why did you use MDF on the sides rather than drywall? I've seen a lot of people do this - is it preferred? How will you finish it?

Kevin,

I will be covering the wood with drywall I had not gotten to that point yet but very close. I used the wood to help frame out my soffit instead of using 2x4's or 1x2's like a lot of people do. Also, i have nothing to back this up but i thinking it will help to contain the sound and reduce the sound transmission to the floor above. Some things I try by trial and error. I honestly think it will help though as it too will have 2 layers of drywall on top of that. Let me know if you need further help on this.

WOOLFMAN

post #18 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the reply.
post #19 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well i just got finished hanging the last sheets and started on the taping and mudding. What a lot of fun...NOT. Most critical steps are mudding and taping and i hate it. I will get somephotos up this weekend of everything to date. I am really please how the screen wall is coming out with the recesses for the speakers and subwoofer as well as the screen. I am getting pretty psyched as this starts to come together. Thanks for everyones comments.

WOOLFMAN

post #20 of 42 Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the quick reply in my 2.35:2 question. Will you be able to modify your screen wall for a 2.35:1 screen down the road?
post #21 of 42 Old 10-07-2006, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Michigan

AS far as modifying for 2:35 I will be able to if I want to switch formats. I will hang with the 16:9 for now.

WOOLFMAN

post #22 of 42 Old 10-07-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well - got all the drywall up and started to tape and mud. I did a few sections and decided this was nuts. So I decided to dip into my rainy day fund and find a pro to finish the drywall. I was lucky enough to catch a contractor in between jobs and he was able to start it last Monday and finished on Thursday. I will have to say that this was the best money spent. I didn't have to deal with any of the BS that goes with finished drywall not to mention when it comes to sanding I do not have to look like a Cocaine manufacturer. I will get some photos up soon. I am waiting for a problem to appear but so far (knock on woofer) everything is going smooth. I will have to take a break from the basement soon as it will be time to start hanging christmas lights. Yes i said christman lights. I have around 50,000 to hang and with inspiration from a local guy I am going to go animated. This will be fun and my kids will love it.

Pictures will be up soon!

WOOLFMAN

post #23 of 42 Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics with drywall done. I am going to start trim and doors soon. So far so good. I am really loving the tray ceiling. It really opens the space up. I still need to order black gom for the screen wall as well as a fwew other colors to make wall treatements for those pesky reflection points. Let me know if anyone has questions.
[/IMG]

Word to the wise is to change your air filter several times to help keep your house as dust free as possible. This definetly help to keep the wife off me a$$.

WOOLFMAN

post #24 of 42 Old 10-10-2006, 10:47 AM
APJ

Hey! - Just when I got hooked on your speed... the pictures disappeared (today's posts are empty).
post #25 of 42 Old 10-10-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post

Hey! - Just when I got hooked on your speed... the pictures disappeared (today's posts are empty).

I see them still and I dumped my cache out. If anyone else cannot see the pics let me know.

WOOLFMAN

post #26 of 42 Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Wap

nice work, your smoking through it. keep up the pics.
post #27 of 42 Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to get this done before the 1st snow. Looks like I will miss it. Today 78 degress Friday snow and 31Degrees. Really makes Ohio suck.

WOOLFMAN

post #28 of 42 Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I spoke too soon as far as no problems. I started hanging doors and got down to the last one and guess what, wrong size. I hope the supplier I bought them from will switch it for the right size. They sent me a 2-4 door and instead of a 2-0 door. I did make another change on the tray ceiling crown. I was going to use 3 in crown but i do not think the rope light will lay inside it right and look good. I am off to pick up 5" crown which i think will give me the results I am looking for. We'll have to see. I will use the 3' crown on the boxes around the posts to give a more column look. I am off also today to dtermine what PJ I will truly get. I have read a lot about the Pearl and it may be a tough decision between that one and the new SIM2 d80 to be released the eom. 10k's vs 5k's is a huge difference in price and will i truly be able to justify the extra 5k? I will have to let me eyes tell me.

WOOLFMAN

post #29 of 42 Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got everything painted and trimmed out. Trim went fairly quickly except for the posts. I used 3 inch crown and trimed the tops off to give them a more architectural appearance. The 5" crown for the tray turned out awesome. I used Harvestror paint from SW and Red Bay for the bath. These colors give me a subtle feel that I am trying to get for an italian decor. I still have to touch up the ceiling and a few other locations. After I get this done on to the tile for the bar and bathroom. I order cabinets 4 weeks ago so they should be here any day. I will have to wait to get the bar totally done until I get the counter tops measured for granite. That will be the last thing installed. Here are some updated photos.
[IMG][http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m297/woolfman_photos/DSC01155.jpg[/IMG]

WOOLFMAN

post #30 of 42 Old 10-18-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Woolfman,
Looks great! You are going to have a wickedly awesome space. Also, it doesn't "feel" like a basement, because it is so open. Great work.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page