Make Your Own "FOX" Style Theater Logo - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #601 of 606 Old 05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does this still work? anybody make one lately?
Sponsored Links
post #602 of 606 Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have no idea wondering as well
post #603 of 606 Old 09-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking Adding the Audio

Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Does anyone have a tutorial for muxing the AVI and ac3?

I have not had success with VirtualDubMod or AVI-Mux_GUI.
1. Open VirtualDub
2. File - 'Open Video File...'
3. Select your video file
4. In the 'Video' menu, select 'Direct Stream Copy'
5. In the 'Audio' menu, make sure 'Direct Stream Copy' is also selected
6. Also in the 'Audio' menu, select "Audio from another file" and select your audio file
7. Go to File - 'Save as AVI...'
10. Enter a new filename (you can't overwrite the old one, it has to be a new filename)
11. OK, now wait for VirtualDub to have finished, and you should have a new dubbed videofile with the audio.
post #604 of 606 Old 09-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The process for making a Fox-style logo is still working, and working good! I just made one yesterday, and added the audio from an MP3 using VirtualDub.
post #605 of 606 Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Excellent! I was wondering the same thing!
post #606 of 606 Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Originally Posted by blazer003 View Post
Seeing how popular the FOX Logo thread is, and how much work Reaper has had to do to make images for everyone, I have taken my Blender file and made a simpler version of the file that I hope everyone can use along with this walk through to change the words to whatever you want, and render yourself an image.

This should only take about an hour to do!

Download Blender
To start, you'll need Blender, available at . This amazing, yet completely free (no strings attached, whatsoever, full version free program No spyware, or adware. I know, it's hard to believe. I could spend another couple paragraphs explaining why it's free, and yet so powerful, but thats not the point of this thread, so just take my word for it... ) like I was saying, this amazing free program is just a 7 MB download. Setup is a sinch.

Download File
Ok, so now that you have Blender, download the blender file. Go here to my blend files and download the FOX logo (about 1 MB) by clicking on the movie camera above it.

Once it's on your computer, double click to open it.

So if you've never done 3d work before, the interface looks daunting. Relax. Here's what you do.

Basic Principles
First, something must be clear. In Blender RIGHT CLICKING SELECTS OBJECTS. This is weird at first. So when I say to select something, I'm meaning right click it. Also, if I say Xkey or any other letter I mean that letter, in this case X, on your keyboard.

OK, so let's start on the left side of the screen, I have isolated the 20th Century Fox words to get rid of all the clutter. Let's start by changing the 20th to what you want.
I'm going to change it to Thunderclap.

Changing the Text
First select the "20" (RIGHT CLICK IT). It is a seperate object from the "th". Press delete key on your keyboard or Xkey they both do the same thing, then enter to confirm.

Now select the "th". Press Gkey to grab the th", then, without clicking your mouse press Xkey on the keyboard. Now as you move your mouse, the "th" will only move side to side, not up and down, so move it to the center of the pedestal, and (left) click to release it.

Press your TABkey to go into edit mode. You should see a cursor after the text. Backspace twice and then type like normal, whatever you want there. Don't worry if it doesn't fit right now.

Press TABkey to get back out of edit mode once you are finished typing your top line. Ok, the text should still be centered, but it may be to thin or too wide, or not tall enough. That is what those colored handles are for in the middle of the text. (See "handles" image below)

Scaling (sizing)
It's pretty straight forward. With your text still selected, and out of edit mode, click and drag the green handle (green square on the end of the line) to scale the height, and the red handle to scale the width.

Edit the other lines
OK, now you should be able to edit the middle and bottom lines. Remember, TAB goes in and out of edit mode, and Gkey will grab them and move them.

Reveal the Rest of the Project
So now you have your text that you want, we need to bring back the rest of the project that I hid. With the mouse cursor in the screen we've been working in, press the / KEY (the forward slash key) on the number keypad on the right side of your keyboard. You should see a lot of complicated stuff surround the text you've created.

Sorry, the black title bars were just for my image. I didn't think to take them out. Anyway, all they are are two black planes parented to the camera. If you don't want them, go into camera view, by placing your mouse cursor in one of the 3d view windows and pressing "0" (zero) on the number pad, you can then select the bars (by right clicking them) and press delete to get rid of them.

Now we go to rendering, or a computer graphics word for the computer making your image. First go to the render buttons, which is the last button at the top of the bottom window (shown in image below "Go to RENDER SETTINGS").

Ok, everything is already set up to render an image with a resolution of 1280x960, as shown in the resolution settings. (see render settings image below) The file type is already set for jpeg. You can choose a more lossless format (better quality) like TGA, BMP, or PNG if you'd like, or enter a different resolution in the resolution settings by clicking the number that's there, and typing your own in.

Press the render button as shown, and wait. You should see another window come up, and it will slowly fill with more and more of your fox style logo image. When the entire image is completed, which will probably take a few minutes, press F3 on your keyboard. This will bring the main blender window back up, and a new window where you can save your image. Type the name where I have typed "FOX logo image", and press save and there you go. (see saving.jpg)

I will try to keep up to date with this thread, so if you have any questions, ask them here and I'll try and answer them. I think I was pretty thorough but if there's something you don't understand, or I forgot to cover, let me know.

For anyone more advanced that wants to make an animation, this file is MUCH better than the old one in that regard. As long as you have the latest version of Blender (2.42) this file will render much faster. It won't work with previous versions (at least not correctly.)

To animate this, you should probably set the format to AVI RAW or AVI Codec and your codec of choice. If you leave it on jpg or another image format, it will save a series of numbered stills. Some video programs (Premiere and others) can convert the stills to video. If you know how to edit video like this, stills might be better. Mainly because if you get rendered through frame 353 or something, and your computer gets shut down, with numbered stills, you just look in the directory where you are exporting your animation too, find what the last frame rendered was, and start fom there (by setting that number in the sta: under animation). With an AVI, you might have to start over, or guess where it ended and then splice them together.

Also, you probably want to change the resolution to whatever video format you'll be exporting to. You can set frame rate and resolution manually, or there are presets to the right for NTSC, PAL, and HD.

Your resolution directly and dramaticaly effects render times. Rendering at 1280x960 will take about twice as long as a 720x480 rendering, so if you are going to be playing this off a DVD or something, 720x480 will work fine. If you are playing it off of a HT computer, then maybe higher resolutions are more appropriate, but maybe more like 1080x720.

After you have your format set, just hit "ANIM".

The rendering will take a long time. It is set for 600 frames of animation, which is about what it needs to be to match the music, plus a little extra time to fade out at the end. Whatever time it takes you to render 1 frame, whip out your calculator and X that by 600.

The only other thing, is that when the camera first swoops over the letters, it might not look quite like the fox one, because your letters are likely not as high and therefore the camera is not as close, losing some of the effect.

You can go to the first frame and render it and see what it looks like, or render the first 50 frames by hitting anim, then stopping it by pressing escape, and then going back into Blender's main window and pressing play to view what you've just rendered.

The frame number is shown on the right of all the other buttons. The left and right arrows go to different frames. The up and down arrows skip 10 frames at a time. Shift+an arrow will skip to the first and last frame of the animation, and if you click on the frame number, you can type the number of the frame you want to go to.

If it doesn't look right, and you have little experience in Blender, PM me and I'll give you my email. You can email me the file, I will fix it for you, and email it back, and you can render it (or at least I will try).

If you do have experience in Blender, the camera is parented to a curve. Find the curve, take it into edit mode, select the first vertex, and move it up or down to get the desired height above your text.

So that's it. Let me know if you need anything else.

Anyone has an updated link of the files? Please?
Sponsored Links
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction