Make Your Own "FOX" Style Theater Logo - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Any ideas on getting a fade in and out to black? I've tried taking my raw avi render and pulling in to Movie Maker. It is really easy to add the fades and save it as an avi file.

BUT...

then it seems like no other software can read the new avi file (Damn you, Microsoft!). I can't use the suggested muxing software (page 53 or so on the original thread) to add the ac3 file and the Avi2DVD can't read it either.

Any other suggestions for adding the fades?

Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 AM

Liked: 10
I'm having the same problem as Chiahead. Anyone know why?
post #93 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 08:38 AM

Are you trying to play back an uncompressed AVI file? Unless you have a very fast computer with suitably fast discs I would expect this to stutter.

You will have to compress it to something more manageable before you are likely to get it to play back smoothly. In my case I went straight to MPEG2 at 6mbps for use on DVD.

regards

Brian
post #94 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 08:57 AM

Download ulead movie maker, you can drop the avi file, music, and then add the fade out at the end.....easy....plus i think the demo is fully working so you can try it for free...
post #95 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 AM

At least I can usuallyfollow step by step instructions pretty well, but not too good at figuring out this stuff out on my own.

Pretend you're talking to a computer illiterate. How do I compress the file to MPEG2?
post #96 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Chiahead, I am having the same problem.

I did my render for 9 or 10 hours overnight (AMD 3500+ and 1 gig dual channel DDR) and the render comes out great, except for the missing pillars. When playing the AVI with the WAV in VirtualDub, it plays choppy the first time and then fine afterwards. After saving the new AVI with audio, I tried playing the new file with Windows Media Viewer and I get the same problem Chiahead is having. It starts out OK, but then gets really bad. It stutters all the way through the video. Not sure why this is happening. I thought it might be a video player problem but it plays the render without the audio OK.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #97 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 12:41 PM

Liked: 13
Brian,

I too would appreciate tips on making an MPEG2 file. I didn't see that codec listed in the render options. Do I have to install something first?

Help much appreciated.

-Gary.
post #98 of 602 Old 09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

Any ideas on getting a fade in and out to black? I've tried taking my raw avi render and pulling in to Movie Maker. It is really easy to add the fades and save it as an avi file.

BUT...

then it seems like no other software can read the new avi file (Damn you, Microsoft!). I can't use the suggested muxing software (page 53 or so on the original thread) to add the ac3 file and the Avi2DVD can't read it either.

Any other suggestions for adding the fades?

Tom

I put mine into Nero - You can add a fade to and out of black there. It took my avi raw file perfectly - I just dropped it in (once I found it! )

Pam
post #99 of 602 Old 09-02-2006, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, been on a business trip for a couple days, so I didn't have time to check this out. I am re rendering it as we speak to check out the flickering. I didn't notice it the first time I rendered it, but it could have been there. Unfortunately I deleted the sequence on accident (actually I overwrote it.) Anyway. For all this DVD compression stuff, sorry, I'm not the guy to ask. My formats are usually AVI's compressed with either DV codec or Indeo 5.1 for computer screens. When I do make a DVD, I just throw it into Pinnacle Liquid Edition or Premiere Pro.

Anyway, the file I just released will only work on Blender 2.42 because of compositing nodes. Those compositing nodes may be causing the problem. I did make some adjustments to the geometry on the new file to make it look more like the real FOX logo, including the pillars on the building.

I should have more info for you tomorrow night about the flickering. Are there any other Blender related problems anybody is having? I didn't notice any, but I was reading pretty fast.

Check out my 3d gallery. Go to my profile and go to my website.
post #100 of 602 Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post

At least I can usuallyfollow step by step instructions pretty well, but not too good at figuring out this stuff out on my own.

Pretend you're talking to a computer illiterate. How do I compress the file to MPEG2?

Most consumer DVD authoring programmes include their own MPEG2 encoding. A good example would be ULead DVD Workshop or DVD Movie Factory (free trial available on ULead's website). You should be able to bring in the AVI and the audio and burn a disc from there.

Stand alone MPEG2 encoders include TMPGEnc and Canopus.

If I get a chance I'll put together a more complete tutorial using DVD Workshop later.

regards

Brian
post #101 of 602 Old 09-02-2006, 04:24 AM

OK

For anyone who wants to include this on a DVD - perhaps to add before your own home movies, or slideshows here's a quick tutorial usind ULead's DVD Workshop 2 - a trial of which is available from ULead's website.

Run the programme and click on "New Project" - top left
Give it a name e.g. "My Intro"
Choose a location for your project, the default is probably fine.
Select the TV system you want - PAL or NTSC.
You can leave the subject and description blank.
Click "OK" This should take you to the "Edit" tab.
At the bottom you will see a couple of frames for video clips.
Above that are three buttons - use the left one of the three - "Add Video".
Navigate to your file in c:\\Render unless you changed it in blender.
Select you file and click "Open" (or double click the file).
This will have added a new video clip to your timeline.
Go to the "Audio" tab near top left.
Click on the "Add Audio Track" button. (music note symbol with a +).

You should now be able to preview your combined audio and video in the main window. Please note that if your AVI file is uncompressed this may well stutter (particularly the first time) when palyed as your computer is struggling to keep up with the data rate. Don't worry, as long as all the frames are there it will encode fine.

You may now wish to trim the end of the video (particularly for those of you in PAL land - 600 frames at 25fps is 24 seconds).

Do this by dragging the "Mark Out" button (right hand side just above the jog bar underneath this video ppreview window).

Unfortunately DVD Workshop doesn't let you add a fade to the video (only the audio). If you wish this I can only suggest using a video editing programme - ULead VideoStudio 10 has been used succesfully by others.

At this stage you can add your own videos, slideshows etc as appropriate.
Just go back down to where we found the "Add Video" button. There are two others there for "Import from DVD" and "Add Image".

You can also move on to the "Menu" tab (at the top) and add menus etc although this is getting a bit beyond the realms of this tutorial.

Once happy with everything go to the "Finish" tab at the top.
Here you can preview your whole project including menu navigation etc.

Right, ready to burn to disc!

To the right of the numeric keypad there are three buttons. Select the top one "Burn Project to Disc".

Select an appropriate disc template (probably high quality).
Select your DVD drive.

And hit "Burn"

Hope all this is clear

regards

Brian
post #102 of 602 Old 09-02-2006, 04:48 PM

Any idea why it says unable to open file when I try to open my avi file in ULEAD?
post #103 of 602 Old 09-03-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer003 View Post

Anyway, the file I just released will only work on Blender 2.42 because of compositing nodes. Those compositing nodes may be causing the problem. I did make some adjustments to the geometry on the new file to make it look more like the real FOX logo, including the pillars on the building.

I've uninstalled the most recent version, reinstalled 2.37a and was able to successfully open and render the file. I don't know what "compositing nodes" are, however, they did not present a problem with the older release. Needless to say the flickering is gone.

As others have suggested, using a low-res test is a good idea. I've animated at 320x180 and it was pretty quick and large enough to detect problems. Final HD render is underway.
post #104 of 602 Old 09-03-2006, 03:50 PM

I cant seem to get an animation render without glitches

Blender 2.42a

Blender 2.37a

I 've tried some things to fix this but to no avail. Is there a way I can render the animation with different software?
post #105 of 602 Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you:

- insert additional text?
- move text up & down?

Am I understanding right thats is best to edit in 2.42a but render in 2.37a?

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #106 of 602 Old 09-03-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
BritInVA,

Move the cursor over the text: right click to select, G to move, shift D to copy, Delete to Delete. All must be done after you select the text.

After you select (right click) - tab will enable edit for text. Backspace to clear; you can now enter new text. Tab again to exit edit.

I don't think you can render the 2.42a file in 2.37a.... but I could be wrong.
post #107 of 602 Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujina View Post

I cant seem to get an animation render without glitches

Blender 2.37a

I 've tried some things to fix this but to no avail. Is there a way I can render the animation with different software?

I am getting these same lines (used 2.41 to render) I have also tried 2.37a same result... any ideas on getting rid of these lines?
post #108 of 602 Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 PM

Make sure the "Threads" option is turned off. I got those lines when I tried to run with multiple threads on 2.37a.
post #109 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 AM

I had similar lines at one point. I turned "Parts" for both X and Y to 1 instead of 4 (slightly beneath the "Render" button). This will render the whole frame rather than 16 tiles.

regards

Brian
post #110 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 PM

Had trouble getting this to work but have been given a file that is now working, but after the animation has been rendered how do you save it. Hitting F3 does not seem to do anything, when i hit F3 after just rendering the jpeg i can save it but the same box does not appear afetr the animation. Can someone tell me where i am going wrong or point me to a tutorial. using 2.37a
post #111 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Liked: 13
putbinoot,

The renders are saved automatically in c:\
enders. You should find your files there, at least that's where mine were.

-Gary.
post #112 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

BritInVA,

Move the cursor over the text: right click to select, G to move, shift D to copy, Delete to Delete. All must be done after you select the text.

After you select (right click) - tab will enable edit for text. Backspace to clear; you can now enter new text. Tab again to exit edit.

I don't think you can render the 2.42a file in 2.37a.... but I could be wrong.

Bob - thanks

I had worked out how to Edit the 'existing' text items - I was looking for how to add a new text item.

I'm currently 'Animating' a file in v2.42a - looks like I'm getting a 'speckled' area like others. I thought some had got around this by rendering in v2.37a - but I've also seen that some have said they were not able to open 'blazers' file in 2.42a......so any clarifications would be gratefully received.

Also anyone got a high quality audio file to go with this. I've only been able to track down an MP3 version - or are others having success with this (I've not burned to DVD yet)

Cheers,
Mark

post #113 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by putbinoot View Post

Had trouble getting this to work but have been given a file that is now working, but after the animation has been rendered how do you save it. Hitting F3 does not seem to do anything, when i hit F3 after just rendering the jpeg i can save it but the same box does not appear afetr the animation. Can someone tell me where i am going wrong or point me to a tutorial. using 2.37a

You reneder JPEG's using the JPEG feature and setting the frame you want rendered. I think it defaults to frame 601. This will render a still to the C:\
ender folder. If you've animated, it will also save to that folder. What I found out the HARD WAY was that if you accidentially hit animate again, it will over-write your exisitng render and will cause you to start all over again. ANIMATE once to AVI and then go to the c:\
ender folder and back up the completed file.

Stupid blender is not that intuitive. It''s a blender, I suppose it's not supposed to be intuitive.
post #114 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA

I had worked out how to Edit the 'existing' text items - I was looking for how to add a new text item.

Select (Right Click)

Shift D (this copies or duplicates the selected text), you can then drag the duplicated text to another position.

I duplicated the "th" and dragged it to the vertical center line. Then entered the edit (tab), Backspaced and then entered new text. Select and press g and you can move the new text to your intended position.
post #115 of 602 Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Bob - Thanks. I'll try that when I get my desktop PC back after rendering

post #116 of 602 Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Bob - thanks

Also anyone got a high quality audio file to go with this. I've only been able to track down an MP3 version - or are others having success with this (I've not burned to DVD yet)

Cheers,
Mark

Try this it's still an mp3 but sounds good to me, i don't know the quality of the one you have at present. Got from somewhere but can't remeber where.
3w's . putbinoot(dot)tsohost(dot)co(dot)uk/sounds
can't post urls yet.
post #117 of 602 Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Pam -

Quote:

I put mine into Nero - You can add a fade to and out of black there. It took my avi raw file perfectly - I just dropped it in (once I found it! )

I've tried Nero (the Ultra 7 version) as well, but the saved AVI cannot be read by the muxing software to add the ac3 file. AND the final burned file does not seem to have the same aspect ratio and does not fill the screen. If I go through all of the steps WITHOUT adding a fade, it works perfectly.

I guess I'm looking for software recommendations that can read the raw AVI file, edit it to easily add the fades and then save it as a raw AVI so that I can go on with the other steps. So far, all of the editing software I've tried does some kind of a conversion (to DVD-AVI?) that screws up the whole thing.

So far, maybe the Ulead Video Studio 10 is the only one?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #118 of 602 Old 09-05-2006, 07:07 AM

Liked: 12
I wonder if anyone is having the same problem as me. It rendered beautifully. It plays really choppy in windows media player because of the large AVI file (about a gig). Anyway, adding the AC3 file seemed to work just fine. The problem seems to be in the conversion from AVI to DVD. I am using the free program AVI2DVD and it acts like everthing is fine and it plays great until the very end. The audio just cuts off a few seconds before it should be over. I tried doing the same thing but with an MP3 audio file and it does the exact same thing. I tried it with a crappy free program that converts AVI to MPEG but only at low resolution and it worked fine (it's just tiny) and the music lasts until the end. So what programs have successfully converted the AVI to DVD (preferrably free)?
post #119 of 602 Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Palmtree,

I had the exact, same problem with AVI2DVD and Roxio 8.

I too am looking for "So what programs have successfully converted the AVI to DVD (preferrably free)?"
post #120 of 602 Old 09-05-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post

Pam - indicated success with Nero. Thats what came with my DVD burner - but as of this morning my first attempt was still rendering (frame 360). Hopefully when I get home it will be ready.

Maybe Pam can publish some 'idiots guide' for Nero?

[EDIT] On reflection I think Pam is using the full version of Nero - I just have the OEM version that came with my DVD burner and does not include DVD authoring. So looks like need to find an easy Freeware or splash out on some software.

Cheers,
Mark

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page