Make Your Own "FOX" Style Theater Logo - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 602 Old 10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A big thanks to blazer and reaper. This is such a cool feature to personalize the HT. I can't wait to show it off.

Has anyone figured out how to solve the flickering? There is alot of flickering going on until the panning of the camera stops.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 602 Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post

Has anyone figured out how to solve the flickering? There is alot of flickering going on until the panning of the camera stops.

I would also like to know if anyone has solved this.
post #183 of 602 Old 10-02-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Sure can - all I did was create some slides in Powerpoint, then converted them to a JPG and added them as media files into a Slideshow........really simple! If I knew how to convert the movie into a low quality AVI for the web I'd do it but I'm still learning. Got the idea off PamW. I've also got some pre-made slides on the way from Steve Good - I'll let you know what they look like when I receive.

Mark, did you ever get these slides? If so, how did they look?
post #184 of 602 Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Hello folks,

First of all I want to say big thanks to blazer003 for the sharing and writing an excellent tutorial.

I had finished making my own custom "fox" logo for my HT and all i needed was the "20th century fox" fanfare audio to go with it. I tried to extract the audio from a dvd but somehow it didn't quite sound right and it lacked the punch. I thought how cool it would be if it was in 5.1 surround format rather than stereo. So I decided to make my own orchestral mock-up using the Garritan Personal Orchestra and East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra sample instruments that I have and so far it turn out pretty close but this time it had more punch that I needed. Right now I still have it in stereo and will try to mix it in 5.1 surround when I get the chance. Some of you may like it enough to include it in your own intros so feel free to use it.

The only problem is that I don't have a server to host the file for everybody to download.

So if there's anybody who would be kind enough to host it for me I will upload the file for anybody who wants to use it. I also would like to get your impressions if it indeed sound close enough to the original or will it be of any use to you for your own custom ht intros.

PM me if you are willing to host the file and I will send it asap.
post #185 of 602 Old 10-06-2006, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Does anybody have the 5.1 audio (DD or DTS) they could post alink to or PM if they have it?
Thanks guys!!

MY HT BUILD BLOG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

post #186 of 602 Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 PM

post #187 of 602 Old 10-09-2006, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way to render the thing in sections? And if so how to? Can the pieces be seemlessly put back together?
Thanks guys.
P.S. Munkee Boy - Ive sent you my email address. Looking forward to that file! Thanks!

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #188 of 602 Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Is there any way to render the thing in sections?

I suppose you could render the file in smaller avi segments. Just adjust the start and end frames on the Animation section of the Scenes panel. However, I suspect they would not go back together seamlessly. But I haven't tried it. Of course, you would have to make each file name unique to prevent overwriting the previously rendered section.

Serious animators render their output as a series of still frames and re-assemble them in editing or compositing software. Blender allows you to output in this manner. For example, simply change the file format to save the output to JPEG. Blender will save a series of numbered still files instead of an avi movie. The filename of each jpeg will be the same except for the end which will have 0001.jpg for the first file and 0650.jpg for the last if you render frames 1 through 650.

The advantage of this method is that a power failure or re-boot after 14 hours of rendering isn't a disaster. Just restart again and begin with the next frame you need. I made my intro this way and I suspect it takes about the same amount of time as putting it straight to avi.

Of course, you must have a program that can assemble a movie from a series of stills. I have an older version of Adobe Premiere and it does that easily. Simply load the first jpg in the file series and check a box that says 'numbered stills.' It loads all the stills and acts just like it loaded an avi file.

I think many editing programs can load files as a series of stills. You could test this technique out with just a few frames to see if it works for you.

If anyone is interested in how I made a 2.35 aspect ratio intro using a pretty convoluted method, let me know and I'll describe how I did it in this thread.

Tom

post #189 of 602 Old 10-17-2006, 09:50 AM

This is an awesome thing, but did anyone figure out how to get rid of the "flicker" problem yet? I have the same issue.
post #190 of 602 Old 10-17-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL 350Z View Post

This is an awesome thing, but did anyone figure out how to get rid of the "flicker" problem yet? I have the same issue.

I believe the consensus is to open and edit the file in 2.42a, then uninstall it and install 2.37a, and do the rendering with that version. This is the only thing that worked for me (and believe me, I damn near tried everything).
post #191 of 602 Old 10-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Liked: 15
I did the hd .jpg stills & it took 26 hours to render. Mine flickers too. I'm not complaining, I still love it!!
Thanks..
Wadro
post #192 of 602 Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 AM

Great program guys. Just finished my own Fox logo and added music. Took only 19hrs not too bad compared to some. Thanks again for the awesome thread.
Heres a render i did for my desktop.
LL

why do we fall down, sir? so we may learn how to get up.
post #193 of 602 Old 10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Ive acquired the .ac3 file and am having trouble using VirtualDubMod to combine them. In fact, how do I do it? I actually have Adobe Premiere Pro at work but it doesnt seem to like importing .ac3 files. Is there any alternatives to VDM or Premiere that will allow me to meld the video and audio easily? Im not interested in compressing this down to fit on DVD, Im gonna play it straight off Media Centre.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #194 of 602 Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

Ive acquired the .ac3 file and am having trouble using VirtualDubMod to combine them. In fact, how do I do it? I actually have Adobe Premiere Pro at work but it doesnt seem to like importing .ac3 files. Is there any alternatives to VDM or Premiere that will allow me to meld the video and audio easily? Im not interested in compressing this down to fit on DVD, Im gonna play it straight off Media Centre.

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html
post #195 of 602 Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo View Post

http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

Cheers mate, Ill have a bash later tonight!

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #196 of 602 Old 10-28-2006, 06:49 AM

Blazer - thanks for the file and the instructions. it all worked great. my only question is what about the sound? how do i get that wonderful music too?
post #197 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok guys need a little help. I have rendered 600 individual jpegs. Had a play in Premiere but there was so many output settings I didint know what settings to use. I also have an .ac3 audio file that I want to add. Can anyone point me in the direction of which programs to use, and what settings to set? FWIW I want to run this file off my Media Centre PC to XBox 360, so ideally want it in wmv or mpeg format that the 360 can read.
Cheers guys.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #198 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Try virtualDub. I don't know the settings but I think you can reassemble the jpgs
post #199 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Reaper,

I remember reading in one of these posts about a site that was hosting your original file, but I cant seem to locate it. Do you mind posting a link to it again, I would like to experiment with it a little.

Thank You, ED
post #200 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
If you look up the cool theater logo and search in it for the word "generic" you should find it.
post #201 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post

Try virtualDub. I don't know the settings but I think you can reassemble the jpgs

Ive tried it, or rather VirtualDubMod. I have no trouble with creating an .avi out of the images (done this with Adobe Premiere) but VDM wont import the .ac3 file. So Im looking for a simple progrm that will convert my 600 jpegs to a movies (prferably .wmv or .mpeg) and allow me to import the .ac3 file. Any ideas?

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #202 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 03:26 PM

The program AVI2DVD will assemble an avi file with an ac3 file and make it into an iso file which some DVD burn software can make into a DVD. It can also make a folder with all the files you need. Just copy the folder contents (with the two sub folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS to a blank DVD.

Hopefully this would work for you. The program is free and can be found easily via Google. It will not accept a sequence of jpg files so you'll have to use the avi you made.

post #203 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harness View Post

The program AVI2DVD will assemble an avi file with an ac3 file and make it into an iso file which some DVD burn software can make into a DVD. It can also make a folder with all the files you need. Just copy the folder contents (with the two sub folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS to a blank DVD.

Hopefully this would work for you. The program is free and can be found easily via Google. It will not accept a sequence of jpg files so you'll have to use the avi you made.

Thanks for the info...but I want to play this file on my HTPC, and KEEP the res at 1280 x 720, rather than have to downscale it to 480 res.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #204 of 602 Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM

Couldnt you have animated the file in Blender as AVI codec. that would have made things a lot easier for you?

post #205 of 602 Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowler579 View Post

Couldnt you have animated the file in Blender as AVI codec. that would have made things a lot easier for you?

I couldve but doing it in jpeg form at least allows me the advantage of doing a bit at a time. Besides, Premiere does a good job of creating an AVI file, albeit minus the .ac3 file import. So either way I would still have an AVI file with no .ac3 audio that needs to be converted (with no drop in 720p quality) to .wmv or .mpeg/.mpg.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

post #206 of 602 Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 PM

Here is the results of my efforts to do a theater intro, have added other dolby and dts demos as well. Scroll to the bottom of the page its the Utube video.
http://www.freewebs.com/sbowler579/usefullinks.htm

post #207 of 602 Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM

This is quite cool...how are you using it? Are you putting it as at the start of movies you burn?
post #208 of 602 Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Guys, I rendered mine overnight but when I hit Play in the blender dos box that stays open it says out of mem couldn't open c:\
ender\\fox final....avi.

I've got 2GB of ram and in task manager blender is only using 100MB. Plenty of extra available. How can I set how much memory blender uses? I rendered as Raw AVI if that makes a difference, was that the wrong choice?

Also, I have a fast dual core AMD processor and rendering was VERY slow, are there settings I should be optimizing within the program - specifically 100MB doesn't seem need enough memory for it to be working effectively.

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #209 of 602 Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM

First off I want to say thanks to Blazer03 an reaper for the work they put into this, this is just awesome.

So I did a little searching on the blender artists forum and found a workaround/solution to most of the flicker problems (I've only tried in Blazer's version so far, not reaper's).

The basics are that some of the big "blocky" objects are set as "smooth" instead of "solid". This causes the renderer to try to smooth them out and ends up with the flickering. Something to do with too many hard angles, I don't really know the details... There were a couple things I did to work around the problem.

The lines separating the three rows of words are actually composed of two objects each. For each "line" the bottom object is mostly just a box with a beveled edge, and the one above it is a little fancier and has a more curved shape.

From either the front view (press the 1 key on the number pad if you don't have a front view, NOT the 1 key at the top of the keyboard). Now select the bottom box using the right mouse button. It should be "highlighted" (mine is highlighted in pink). Press the F9 key to get the edit buttons menu. There should be a menu labeled "Link and Materials". Find the button in that menu box at the bottom that says "Set Solid" and hit that one.

Now select the object just above the one we just edited. This time look in the menu box labeled "Mesh" for a button labeled "No V.Normal Flip" and push it. Pushing this button should change it from a light to dark color to indicate that it is "active". Repeat both of these steps for the other "line" separating the words.

Now select the big box the words sit on (again with the right mouse button). Turn on the "No V.Normal Flip" option just like we did above. Note I did NOT do a "Set Solid" because part of the box is actually curvy and applying this to the whole object would make the curves more blocky.

I also did the big base that everything sits on by switching to a top view (7 on the number pad), selecting it and doing both "Set Solid" AND "No V.Normal Flip".

Doing these things fixed the flicker for me on the lines, and it also fixed the distortion on the front of the pedestal as well as some "floor" shimering I saw. The shadows at the very begining of the animation still look a little jumpy to me, but I don't know how to fix these yet (I may try motion blur again now that the flicker is mostly fixed).

I've made a modified version of the .blend file but I have no where to put it. I'd be happy to send to someone with web space to host it, just PM me.

I hope this helps. I know I'm very happy to have this much of a "custom" intro. My plan is to build up an intro of my own using blender, but I'm still in the learning stages of using the program.

- Tim
post #210 of 602 Old 11-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hello all - quick question:

I rendered in HD and it took 4 days. I used VirtualDubMod to create the avi and this worked. A 4 gig file was created for a 20 second animation. When I play back the animation, it studders and goes too slow. I'm guessing that this is because the file is so large. Will it be this bad once burned to DVD and played back on a dvd player? Should I just redo at 720p?

thanks for any help,

Gary
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page