My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated KICK*** Home Theater! - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 771 Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can look at my theater (link below in sig). It has curtains on the sides and a valence across the top and nothing below (however, my wall is a dark color).

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 771 Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

You can look at my theater (link below in sig). It has curtains on the sides and a valence across the top and nothing below (however, my wall is a dark color).

Nice room, thanks that really answers a lot of my questions. Where did you get those curtains and valence? What length are the curtains and what type of material are they made of?

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #753 of 771 Old 03-22-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Nice room, thanks that really answers a lot of my questions. Where did you get those curtains and valence? What length are the curtains and what type of material are they made of?

I bought them at JCPenny and they are cotton, but it looks like they don't sell black anymore. (http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...arch1Prod=True)
They may have other styles you are interested in, however.

The curtains are 108" and valance is 24" (luckily I didn't have to hem or adjust my screen as it is right at 24" below my 9' ceiling.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #754 of 771 Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I was sad to see that you didn't like the upgrade to the HC4900 from the HD70. I personally upgraded to an HC4900 from an HD70 myself and I find the upgrade very worthwhile.

The color quality is immediately superior on the HC4900. I don't have calibration equipment or technical experience calibrating video displays so I have to use my eye and personal taste to obtain good looking fleshtones and overall color. After spending a year and half with the HD70, constantly tweaking it, using consumer level calibration discs such as Avia, the HC4900 hands down beat it straight out of the box. The black levels seem about the same to me and the resolution bump was noticeable, not to mention the gains from being a quieter projector and mounting flexibility. I do have a larger screen than you in DaLite's HP flavor so perhaps that's why I see more from the upgrade than you.

Sorry for the aside...

Congrats on the room, I have a very similar setup. I crammed my home theater in a very small room too. I even have the same ceiling fan

How do you tackle the heat issue? I know that in a small room the heat from the projector and electronics make the room stuffy really quick. This is also why I liked the HC4900, it used 25% less power and therefor dissipated less heat.[assuming similar overall efficiency as the HD70] This helps to not raise the room temperature as high or as fast but it's still an issue.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #755 of 771 Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

I was sad to see that you didn't like the upgrade to the HC4900 from the HD70. I personally upgraded to an HC4900 from an HD70 myself and I find the upgrade very worthwhile.

The color quality is immediately superior on the HC4900. I don't have calibration equipment or technical experience calibrating video displays so I have to use my eye and personal taste to obtain good looking fleshtones and overall color. After spending a year and half with the HD70, constantly tweaking it, using consumer level calibration discs such as Avia, the HC4900 hands down beat it straight out of the box. The black levels seem about the same to me and the resolution bump was noticeable, not to mention the gains from being a quieter projector and mounting flexibility. I do have a larger screen than you in DaLite's HP flavor so perhaps that's why I see more from the upgrade than you.

Sorry for the aside...

Congrats on the room, I have a very similar setup. I crammed my home theater in a very small room too. I even have the same ceiling fan

How do you tackle the heat issue? I know that in a small room the heat from the projector and electronics make the room stuffy really quick. This is also why I liked the HC4900, it used 25% less power and therefor dissipated less heat.[assuming similar overall efficiency as the HD70] This helps to not raise the room temperature as high or as fast but it's still an issue.

Well I am not saying that the HC4900 was no improvement. I am saying that it was not a $1500 improvement. I noticed improved sharpness but poorer black levels (by a small margin) and much quieter operation in high lamp mode. The color was great, possibly better than the HD70 though I had a hard time really deciding when looking at one or the other individually. There were some definite improvements with the HC4900 but overall I did not feel that they justified the cost.

Another thing that really was weighing on me was the dust blob issue that seems to plague a lot of LCD projectors but not DLP so much.

As far as heat goes my HD70 has never caused the temperature in the room to rise any appreciable amount since I mounted it high on a shelf behind me. When I first got the HD70 I had it next to me in a rack and it did put out a lot of heat, but since mounting it high on the rear wall the projector heat output has been a non issue.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #756 of 771 Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just picked up an iPod Touch, what a neat little gadget. Now I am wondering if I can use it in the HT somehow? Any ideas?

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #757 of 771 Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM

I dont know about the touch, but the Iphone has a lot of stuff you can do to it to have it control some features in your home theatre . You can program it like a remote, look in youtube. The touch has similar features as the iphone so you might be able to work something out

Xbox360 Gt : The Jizblaster
post #758 of 771 Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just picked up an iPod Touch, what a neat little gadget. Now I am wondering if I can use it in the HT somehow? Any ideas?

Wow, you are CONSTANTLY looking for improvement. Cant you just be happy?

This coming from someone who daily tests speaker placement for best sound. Oh well. I get to be hypocritical, no one else can.
post #759 of 771 Old 04-07-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

Wow, you are CONSTANTLY looking for improvement. Cant you just be happy?

This coming from someone who daily tests speaker placement for best sound. Oh well. I get to be hypocritical, no one else can.

Ahhhh improvement IS being happy! Part of the fun of HT is the possibility of making the experience better, sometimes in small ways.

The iPhone software is exactly the same as the Touch, I should be able to run the same apps. Though there are a couple of minor hardware differences that could make a difference.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #760 of 771 Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 PM

The only hardware difference, that I understand, between the iPhone and the Touch is that the Touch lacks the phone and Blue Tooth otherwise they are identical. I am also hoping that a someone with a lot more skill than me gets a hold of the sdk and makes a cool remote control app for the iPhone/Touch. The only problem I could see would be controlling IR based equipment. An all in one hardware solution would be the best (WiFi router+EtherNet+RS-232+IR+12 volt trigger) but you could cobble together a solution from off the shelf components (lot$ of component$). We will just have to wait and see.

Do or don't...there is no try!
post #761 of 771 Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1138 View Post

The only hardware difference, that I understand, between the iPhone and the Touch is that the Touch lacks the phone and Blue Tooth otherwise they are identical. I am also hoping that a someone with a lot more skill than me gets a hold of the sdk and makes a cool remote control app for the iPhone/Touch. The only problem I could see would be controlling IR based equipment. An all in one hardware solution would be the best (WiFi router+EtherNet+RS-232+IR+12 volt trigger) but you could cobble together a solution from off the shelf components (lot$ of component$). We will just have to wait and see.

Now that the 3G iPhone is heavily rumored to be arriving in June and the native apps are supposed to arrive at the same time, I am seriously considerin returning my iPod Touch. I love it but only a 2 month wait for 3G, I could live with that!

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #762 of 771 Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

********MAJOR UPDATE********

The Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated KICK*** Home Theater is being dismantled! I have gained access to a much larger space in my house (11 x 15) and am setting out on a new project with a new thread soon to follow.....stay tuned!

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #763 of 771 Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 AM

Liked: 11
[Mr Burns Voice] Excellent......[/Mr Burns Voice]

You know we expect some design concept images for the new space right?

The Fog Valley Cinema Build Thread.

Home Theater, Basement Entertainment Area Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #764 of 771 Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Excellent. I feel like I have followed this thread for years. Please let us know about the new thread ASAP!

Lane
post #765 of 771 Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Hamster View Post

[Mr Burns Voice] Excellent......[/Mr Burns Voice]

You know we expect some design concept images for the new space right?

LOL, how about some line drawings in MS Paint? That's about the exent of my artistic ability. I'll see if I can come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhard77 View Post

Excellent. I feel like I have followed this thread for years. Please let us know about the new thread ASAP!

Lane

Thanks, great to hear that you have been following my thread. The major changes in the new theater are the following:

1-Dramatically increased screen size. I'll be going from 89" diagonal to somewhere between 120" and 140"!

2-New projector! I need something that can throw that big of an image from about 14-15 feet and maintain good brightness. I really want to go 1080p but as always the budget has other ideas. So I may opt for the Panasonic PT-AX200U which I know to be a very bright and excellent 720p projector.

3. Possibly adding more seating. In the original RIDKAHT I had seating for 2, in this room there is space to add another row. The front row would be fairly close to the screen so it is not ideal, but at least I could seat more than 2.

There are other changes to come, but those are the major differences compared to the original room.

So that reminds me, anyone want to buy an HD70 in MINT condition with 252 hours on the bulb? It's going on eBay but maybe someone here would like it before I auction it.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #766 of 771 Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 AM

Liked: 11
I'd post it here in the classifieds on AVS. See if you catch any leads with that.

The Fog Valley Cinema Build Thread.

Home Theater, Basement Entertainment Area Project Photo Archive.

Todays Tip: Nothing good has ever come from the phrase "Here, hold my beer while I try this."
post #767 of 771 Old 10-20-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Closer to the screen is actually very ideal! I sit 7' from my 120" screen. I was at 6' but my feet hit the center channel speaker when I reclined. The panny will be an excellent projector for you. It has a gaming mode so you can game on it too. World of Warcraft on a 120" screen at 7' is amazing.
Warren.
post #768 of 771 Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Closer to the screen is actually very ideal! I sit 7' from my 120" screen. I was at 6' but my feet hit the center channel speaker when I reclined. The panny will be an excellent projector for you. It has a gaming mode so you can game on it too. World of Warcraft on a 120" screen at 7' is amazing.
Warren.

Wow.. Can you see the entire screen without moving your head? I sit 8 feet away from my 96" DIY screen. I thought about going bigger but I don't think that going more than 102" would be comfortable.
I'm using a Sanyo Z2000 and am quite happy with it. Built the entire room in part of my basement for less than 5K - including equipment and 4 Berklines.

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #769 of 771 Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have to move my head. I have to move my head to see the whole screen in the IMax theater too. I like it that way.
Warren.
post #770 of 771 Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 AM

Mike,

I just got the PT-AX200U for my 138" screen and I love it. There are some than may be sharper but the extra light output sure helps. I sit about 14' from the screen. Good luck, I will be following with anticipation.

Troy
post #771 of 771 Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello everyone, this thread has come to an end. I have started a new thread for my new HT. It will be called "My Ridiculously Inexpensive Kick *** Home Theater! <<The Sequel>>". There is a link in my signature below to the new thread.

Thanks!

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page