AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Great job on the rack Gonzo,

Funny I had to resolve my equipment closet issue also. It was driving me nuts and wasn't really accessible because the shelf rack I had everything on was basically the width of the closet. I couldn't really get to the back of it for maintenance.

I had been eyeing some shelving at HD and Lowes. Over the weekend I went to Lowes and found some dark grey hammered texture wire shelving. The grey actually matches my trim color choice.. So 2 vertical bars and four wire shelves later and my equipment closet is much more organized and accessible. I can actually step in to it now and do whatever I need to. I need to take some pics so I can post it to my thread.

Keep up the good work.

Do you have pictures up yet? I will have to take a look.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
I think, the german beer is much better than your american.

In german it was called "Wolfsschanze", but I think, you can not translate it word bei word in english. It is like Kindergarden or rucksack.

Regards.
post #663 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Sure, just bring some good German beer.

My brother just reminded me (after watching Valkarie) that the Wolf's Lair was the name of Hitler's bunker. Let me assure everyone that was not the origen of the name of my theater.

I just assumed you were an NC State grad.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #664 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Do you have pictures up yet? I will have to take a look.

Not yet, I will try to capture and post tonight. I was in "just get it done" mode and neglected to take a pic before and after.
post #665 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

I just assumed you were an NC State grad.

Bingo!

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #666 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bingo!

Well then, what the heck happened the other day? Did you guys go to sleep in the second half? Last I heard it was 17-6. Then I saw the score later and my jaw hit the floor.

Mike

post #667 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

Well then, what the heck happened the other day? Did you guys go to sleep in the second half? Last I heard it was 17-6. Then I saw the score later and my jaw hit the floor.

Russel Wilson, our starting QB (ACC offensive player of the year/ACC rookie of the year/1st Team All-ACC QB), hurt his knee at the end of the first half. I knew we did not have a chance after that as our other QBs are less than competent. Wilson had thrown 1 interception all year, the back-ups threw 3 in the second half.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #668 of 741 Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey Gonzo, I updated my thread with some pics of my new shelf. Just go to the last page on my thread.
post #669 of 741 Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Russel Wilson, our starting QB (ACC offensive player of the year/ACC rookie of the year/1st Team All-ACC QB), hurt his knee at the end of the first half. I knew we did not have a chance after that as our other QBs are less than competent. Wilson had thrown 1 interception all year, the back-ups threw 3 in the second half.

Ah! Similar to the game against South Carolina to start the year. If he stays healthy next year you guys should be contenders for the ACC.

Mike

post #670 of 741 Old 01-10-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I accentuated my rack. I bought a roll out DVD holder to add to the bottom shelf of the rack.

Installed:

I also have been having issues with my Dish 622 DVR. So they sent me a new one that also did not work. So they sent a guy out to tell me that the one they sent me did not work, duh. Fortunately he left me a nice new 722 DVR (an upgraded model) which is black and looks better in my rack than the previous grey one. It is the 3rd shelf up.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #671 of 741 Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Looks like you'll have to get a new rack soon since your dvd & game collection is growing but they do look nice sitting down there waiting to be played

Do you think that you'll be interested in the new DVR with Slingbox tech from Dish when it's available?
post #672 of 741 Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Gonzo
Where did you find the DVD rack? I already went out and bought the same rack its gonna work great till I build the permanent one

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #673 of 741 Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigre View Post

Do you think that you'll be interested in the new DVR with Slingbox tech from Dish when it's available?

If it involves me send more money to Dish each month, then I am definitely interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Gonzo
Where did you find the DVD rack? I already went out and bought the same rack its gonna work great till I build the permanent one

Right here.

The shipping was a little slow, but that may of been because of the holidays.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #674 of 741 Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hi Gonzo,

Very nice HT you built. I'm hoping for the same but I think I have very long and hard road ahead of me due to my lack of knowledge about this stuff.

I have some beginner question I'm hoping you'll help with.

Looking through your thread I noticed that you filled your stage with sand. What is the purpose of that?

What is the green glue for?

I'm thinking of building a HT in 14.5' wide x 16' long x 8' high basement with no windows and two of the walls are made out of poured concrete. Do I need to fill the stage with Sand? I thought the stage is only for looks but does it serve other purpose?

Also how do you determine what is maximum size screen I can have in my HT? I'm thinking of getting Sony VPL-HW10 but not sure if this is the right one since I've never owned front projector before.
post #675 of 741 Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Hi Gonzo,

Very nice HT you built. I'm hoping for the same but I think I have very long and hard road ahead of me due to my lack of knowledge about this stuff.

I have some beginner question I'm hoping you'll help with.

Looking through your thread I noticed that you filled your stage with sand. What is the purpose of that?

The sand does a couple things. It fills the void of the stage, so your stage does not become a bass drum, and it adds mass to the stage. Since the sub is sitting of the stage it prevent the sub from vibrating the stage when it is thumping.

Quote:

What is the green glue for?

It is a viscoelastic dampening compound that reduces sound transmission from one surface to the next. It is one part of overall scheme to reduce noise entering or exiting the theater. Look here.

Quote:

I'm thinking of building a HT in 14.5' wide x 16' long x 8' high basement with no windows and two of the walls are made out of poured concrete. Do I need to fill the stage with Sand? I thought the stage is only for looks but does it serve other purpose?

Yes, fill the stage with sand as described above.

Quote:

Also how do you determine what is maximum size screen I can have in my HT? I'm thinking of getting Sony VPL-HW10 but not sure if this is the right one since I've never owned front projector before.

Screen size is related to viewing distance, film format (16x9 vs 2.40:1), projector capabilities, room size, and personal preference. Play around with this calculator. There are other calculators/accepted ratios for evaluating viewing distance... one being the 1st row should be about the same distance from the screen as the screen is wide (but this is subjective).

Hope this helps some. Good luck with your project.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #676 of 741 Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Gonzo,
Could I get some measurements you used for your HT? I'm interested in;

1. Column Width
2. Column Thickness
3. Sofit Thickness
4. Stage Height

How do you figure how high to put the screen if you are sitting on floor level? Also is there way to determine proper placement (depth and height) for the surround speakers.

Thanks.
post #677 of 741 Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gonzo,
Could I get some measurements you used for your HT? I'm interested in;

1. Column Width

12"

Quote:

2. Column Thickness

3.25"

Quote:

3. Sofit Thickness

About 11" from ceiling down to corner of soffit.

Quote:

4. Stage Height

About 6" (2x4 on its side with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood, plus pad and carpet)

Quote:

How do you figure how high to put the screen if you are sitting on floor level?

A general approach is to have the your eyes at about the same level as 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen (once again, this is subjective, like viewing distance). If you are going to have a riser, this gets more complicated. There is a riser height calculator (stickied I believe) that you can play around with to see what works for your room.

Quote:

Also is there way to determine proper placement (depth and height) for the surround speakers.

Google Dolby Digital and there are some angles that are recommended for 5.1 and 7.1 speaker set up. As far as height, I could not find any firm recommendations. Bpape recommended putting mine at about 6.5' but no closer than 1' from the bottom of the soffit.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #678 of 741 Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the information. I think I'll use that as my starting point and adjust as needed for my room.

I noticed that you installed Grafik Eye. Was that hard to install? I think I'm needing either 3 or 4 zone one (Scones, Recess lighting over screen, recess lighting . Also I've read some people being able to control the lighting as they hit pause or play on their remote? Can any Grafik eye do that or do I need particular model? Can any IR remote be programmed to work with Grafik eye? I have Sony RM-AV3000 that I bought several years ago.
post #679 of 741 Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Gonzo

When you did your bathroom tile did you eyeball your grout joints or did you use spacers

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #680 of 741 Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I think I'll use that as my starting point and adjust as needed for my room.

I noticed that you installed Grafik Eye. Was that hard to install? I think I'm needing either 3 or 4 zone one (Scones, Recess lighting over screen, recess lighting . Also I've read some people being able to control the lighting as they hit pause or play on their remote? Can any Grafik eye do that or do I need particular model? Can any IR remote be programmed to work with Grafik eye? I have Sony RM-AV3000 that I bought several years ago.

It is not too hard to install, but you should plan ahead (large outlet box). There are several thread that discuss the various ways to install the GE. The grafik eye can be controlled by any universal IR remote. So you can program macros to change the lighting when you hit pause/play. Because it is IR you will need line of sight to control the lights. In my case the signal bounces off the screen nicely and reaches the grafik eye.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #681 of 741 Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Gonzo

When you did your bathroom tile did you eyeball your grout joints or did you use spacers

Spacers... definitely spacers.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #682 of 741 Old 01-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is not too hard to install, but you should plan ahead (large outlet box). There are several thread that discuss the various ways to install the GE. The grafik eye can be controlled by any universal IR remote. So you can program macros to change the lighting when you hit pause/play. Because it is IR you will need line of sight to control the lights. In my case the signal bounces off the screen nicely and reaches the grafik eye.

Thanks. Will do.

Any chance do you have any more photos of how you made that door? I was looking at it at work with my coworker and we both like it alot.

Also it looks like you stain the plywood directly for your columns and panels but it really doesn't look like plywood in the pictures. Does it look nice in person as like in the picture? Did you have to buy some special kind of plywood to obtain that look?

Thank you.
post #683 of 741 Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any chance do you have any more photos of how you made that door? I was looking at it at work with my coworker and we both like it alot.

No, I do not have any other photos of the door. It was just an unfinished door that I stained. It was ordered through Lowe's. The hardware pieces I ordered online and just screwed them on. Pretty easy project.

Quote:

Also it looks like you stain the plywood directly for your columns and panels but it really doesn't look like plywood in the pictures. Does it look nice in person as like in the picture? Did you have to buy some special kind of plywood to obtain that look?

I think the pictures capture the woodwork pretty well. In person, up close, if you are looking for blemishes, you can find them. You can buy different grades of plywood (oak, birch, pine) that are intended for different types of projects. What I used was called "hardiwood" or something like that. I am unsure exactly what tree it comes from (pine I suspect), but it is designed for building furniture, toy boxes, etc. When stained it looked very similar to the pine used to do the trim.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #684 of 741 Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I accentuated my rack. I bought a roll out DVD holder to add to the bottom shelf of the rack.

Much better looking equipment room now! I use the same kind of material in many of my equipment builds... when it is not going to be in a visible space I use a type of baker's rack you can get at restaurant supply stores nice and cheap.

How is the temperature in your equipment closet? Do you have any active cooling going in to it?

I agree with your brother. I really don't want to think that you are doing a "Buns of Steel" workout while piloting a Warhawk.

-Lee
PSN ID: AlphaShepherd
XBL: AlphaShepherd
post #685 of 741 Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alpha, my buns are rock hard already... wait, what were we talking about?

I have a bathroom fan in the closet that will cool it. I usually don't need to use it, however, as long as I keep the closet door open.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #686 of 741 Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a bathroom fan in the closet that will cool it. I usually don't need to use it, however, as long as I keep the closet door open.

Ahhh.. very nice! I will have to remember that when putting mine in, since it will be in a tricky spot underneath the stairs. Can you hear the fan noise in your theater at all? I don't know that I will have the $$ to put into sound insulation on your scale... so I was considering going with a rack mounted cooling unit. However being able to put in a bathroom fan as long as I couldn't hear it would be a much less expensive solution!

-Lee
PSN ID: AlphaShepherd
XBL: AlphaShepherd
post #687 of 741 Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

Ahhh.. very nice! I will have to remember that when putting mine in, since it will be in a tricky spot underneath the stairs. Can you hear the fan noise in your theater at all? I don't know that I will have the $$ to put into sound insulation on your scale... so I was considering going with a rack mounted cooling unit. However being able to put in a bathroom fan as long as I couldn't hear it would be a much less expensive solution!

No, I can not hear the fan, but it is outside the room. I bought one of the middle of the line fans, you can buy quieter versions that are a little more expensive. If you go to a local HD or Lowes they usually have a set up where you can listen to different fans to see the difference in noise.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #688 of 741 Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Yeah, but in a Lowes or HD, you can't really hear the fans anyway, because the ambient noise in the store is too high.

I bought Broan fans for my bathrooms. I got the 80CFM model for my bath: QTXE080. There's also a QTXE080FLT, which has a fluorescent light fixture in it, and I put one of those in a second bath. The Broan commercials would have you believe that the fans are utterly quiet, which they're not, but they're quite good. The other maker of very quiet fans is Panasonic.

I couldn't find either of these models at my local big-box, but I was able to find them at local specialist shops, or you can order online.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #689 of 741 Old 02-09-2009, 06:15 AM

Hey Gonzo! Congratulations on getting an article on Electronic House.com! Very cool to see someone get some credit for doing such amazing work.

Hope all is well.

Ryan
post #690 of 741 Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Gonzo,

Congrats on the EH article. Your thread helped me out a lot while I was doing my build.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page