Average Joe's Theater et al - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now it was time to lay out the frame on top of the material. We measured a 15 degree angle on the material and placed the frame upon it. We did not connect and of the sides of the frame to the other sides. This is important for when we stretch the frame/material in its final location.

Here is the frame sitting on top of the material at the 15 degree angle.

Here I am trimming the material around the frame. Yup, that's me

Ok, we are all trimmed out now. Getting ready to put the clips on.

Here are my helpers putting the clips on. The bottom of the screen is finished and they are working on the top. The guy on the left is my son and the blond is the lead singer in his band.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the first pic of the screen being laced with the bungee cord. I used bulk 1/4 inch cord that I purchased on ebay.

Here is the screen with the installation finished. If you look closely you will see a white cord in the lacing on the top of the screen. We learned a valuable lesson. We laced the top first and pulled it really tight to the top of the frame. Then we laced the bottom and pulled that tight too. We got bummed out when we stood up and realized that we had pulled the top of the screen down 6 inches!!! So we undid the bottom and laced the top with a tough clothesline cord that was unstretchable. We left the original bungee cord in too. Then we redid the bottom and it worked out perfectly.

Here is a closeup of the right side of the screen. I used eye screws all around the frame.

A closeup of the top.

The screen itself is tight as a drum. It is also tilted 5 degrees down which you cannot easily see in the pictures. I needed the tilt to retrofit the 1080p projector I purchased into my room. It actually works out great when viewed from the seating area.

When I get the projector installed in its permanent location and have the image set I will purchase the velvet lining and curtains.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #93 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Incredible mounting job Joe! Please post this in the DIY frame section at SmX. I know many people were wondering about those clips and that technique of mounting.

Your theater build is flying and coming out amazing! That has to be the best stage design I've seen yet!

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

SmX Video Projection Screens and Masking Systems
WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #94 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Incredible mounting job Joe! Please post this in the DIY frame section at SmX. I know many people were wondering about those clips and that technique of mounting.

Your theater build is flying and coming out amazing! That has to be the best stage design I've seen yet!

Ruben

ROFL, Yup!! I should probably give credit for the stage design, huh?

I already posted in the SmX Forums.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #95 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

ROFL, Yup!! I should probably give credit for the stage design, huh?

I already posted in the SmX Forums.

Joe

You should ask Alan Gouger to move this thread over to the dedicated theater construction forum. It would get a whole lot more action over there. I don't think too many people visit this section of AVS and aren't aware of your build. Even Mark P didn't know you had a build thread until I told him.

Ruben

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #96 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I will send him a note.

edit 2 minutes later: Alan is fantastic. It took him all of 2 minutes to move my thread! Thanks Alan.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #97 of 244 Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
SmX
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I will send him a note.

edit 2 minutes later: Alan is fantastic. It took him all of 2 minutes to move my thread! Thanks Alan.

Joe

Alan is the MoFo Man!!!

Follow SmX on Facebook

WWW.SMXSCREEN.COM
post #98 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Joe, I have to admit, I have looked at pictures more than reading your thread, but I was wondering about your screen. It looks like the screen is taller than it needs to be for a 16x9 image. Are you going to add framing to make the image the proper size?

Also, nice job on the sauna! With the heaters you have, do you know how hot it will get in there? Seems like the speakers may have a hard time with the heat as well as the speaker controller.... My sister was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia recently and the whole family is trying to uderstand it better. Unfortunatly for her, she runs a daycare out of her home and can't afford to quit doing that. She does have a very understanding husband who is and was doing all he could to help out with chores and everything else, but he works nights and can't be awake all day long.

Scott

post #99 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL,

First off, if you call me Jim again I will start calling you Steve

Yes, I will be framing in the screen. I want to get the projector in its final location with the image displaying on the screen. I will then trim the screen out with a black velvet frame and curtains.

The speakers are a policarbonite(sp) so I hope they will hold up. If the controller cannot handle it then i will have to move it to the outside. I hope that I don't have to do that because it won't be half as handy. The sauna is infrared heat and because of that it only needs to get up to 125 degrees to have the necessary muscle penetration. Unlike a steam based sauna that needs to get up to something like 180 degrees.

My wife has Fibromyalgia and that is one of the reasons for this type of sauna. These heaters are far infrared heaters. The far waves are supposed to be the best for deep muscle penetration. They do make sauna kits with the far heaters if your sister is interested.

I would also be more than happy to fill you in on the things that have worked for my wife in keeping her Fibromyalgia at bay. She has dealt it extremely well.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

Jim, I have to admit, I have looked at pictures more than reading your thread, but I was wondering about your screen. It looks like the screen is taller than it needs to be for a 16x9 image. Are you going to add framing to make the image the proper size?

Also, nice job on the sauna! With the heaters you have, do you know how hot it will get in there? Seems like the speakers may have a hard time with the heat as well as the speaker controller.... My sister was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia recently and the whole family is trying to uderstand it better. Unfortunatly for her, she runs a daycare out of her home and can't afford to quit doing that. She does have a very understanding husband who is and was doing all he could to help out with chores and everything else, but he works nights and can't be awake all day long.

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #100 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Doh! Sorry Joe. Don't know why I did that. Did I do it before as well, or are other people doing it? Maybe you need a signature or avatar change like I did! BTW, post edited!

Unfortunatly for my sister, she doesn't have room in her house for a sauna. They could put it in the garage, but I don't know that they would even do that. I will keep it in mind and if it comes to it, I will try to remember your post. Between myself and my mom (she is very handy and has plenty of time since she doesn't have a job), we could easilly build a sauna for my sister, so that part is no problem. She is just starting to get a handle on the condition and has already been feeling much better since getting the diagnosis, since she has been doing some of the basic things to help it. She has been doing plenty of reading and research online, so she is understanding it better every day, there will be a learning curve for her to just learn what she can and can't do.

Scott

post #101 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I smell a masking system in the works, If not Im putting in a request for one fully automated
post #102 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

I smell a masking system in the works, If not Im putting in a request for one fully automated

You smelled that all the way from Portland?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #103 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe its coming along great
looking forward to more pictures especially with the screen
I may end up doing something similiar once I get to that point so thanks for the details and photos of how you did it
Cheers
Calvin
post #104 of 244 Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

You smelled that all the way from Portland?

Joe

Windshift and Idaho sucks
post #105 of 244 Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was putting up the 703 today and it was amazing how quickly it deaddened the room. I would walk to a wall with a 2'x4' piece, I could hear the echo off the wall, then as soon as I placed the 703 up it was gone. Wow, what a difference.

We did a LOT of work putting up the Wall Mates and the 703 along the theater wall and wrapping the columns in GoM.

I will post some more pics tomrrow night.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #106 of 244 Old 12-10-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick note on LED rope lights. They are NOT all the same. I ran around to 4 different Target stores buying up blue Philips rope lights only to find out that they do not dim. Philips must do something in the transformer that prevents it.

So I am returning those and bought another manufacturer's set of rope lights. They now work great and dim just fine with the Grafik Eye.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #107 of 244 Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We began putting the 703 up this weekend. My original intent was to use 1x2 pieces of wood to frame the 703 with and then wrap that in GoM but after trying it I realized that it was definitely not going to look very good. I found a product called WallMate. Coincidentally they are located in a suburb of Minneapolis. So I was able to actually go and pick a bunch of it up. It is kind of pricey but you end up with a real professional look to it.

There web site address is WallMate

Here are some pics of the process so far.

Here is the first panel we installed. It is right at the bottom of the stairs. The white pole-like material is the Wall Mate. It comes in 2 pieces. The first you attache to the wall and then the next piece hinges into the first and is used to stretch the fabric and snap into place.

Here is one of the pillars. We decided to staple the fabric on the 2 sides and then use the wallmate on the front. I did this so that I could easily get into the pillar if I had to. The Wallmate easily unsnaps to release the fabric.

A front view of the same pillar

The fabric is not on the section of the wall next to the stairs. Here is an adjacent piece of wallmate going up. You need to be careful on the spacing and make sure you leave enough room for the top pieces to snap down along with the fabric. In my case it ended up being a 1/4" gap that I need to leave between the two adjoining base pieces.

Here is a pic of the finished wall piece next to the stairs. You normally do not see any reflection through the fabric. The reflection in the picture is caused by the flash on the camera.

Here you can see the second wall frame up. The wallmate is also on the front of the pillar that we previously covered the sides with GoM.

Here is the section between the two pillars. All of the wallmate pieces are installed along with the 703. Both pillars have the wallmate installed to.

It is difficult to tell with this picture but I filled in the open space at the bottom of the soffits and between the light tray and the wall. First I filled the soffit with acoustic insulation and then I built a frame out of 1x2s and wrapped fabric around it. I then placed it between the light tray and the wall. The upper wallmate rail is actually at the same height as the light tray. The black area that looks above the wallmate rail is actually horizontal between the light tray and the wall. On the right you can see the pillar coming out of the wall and into the light tray.

I will post more pics when we get some more of it complete. I will also take pictures of the 1x2 process when I finish the rest of the soffits.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #108 of 244 Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

Joe its coming along great
looking forward to more pictures especially with the screen
I may end up doing something similiar once I get to that point so thanks for the details and photos of how you did it
Cheers
Calvin

Thanks Calvin,

I am still really enjoying things. All of my plans are actually coming together and things are working out.

Let me know when you get to the screen. I would be more than happy to answer any questions and let you know more detail of what we did.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #109 of 244 Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 AM

Joe,

Your theater is coming along great. Thanks for all the pics.
Where did you get the 703 in the Twin Cities? Thanks for the wallmate reference.

James
post #110 of 244 Old 12-11-2006, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Cradles View Post

Joe,

Your theater is coming along great. Thanks for all the pics.
Where did you get the 703 in the Twin Cities? Thanks for the wallmate reference.

James

Thanks James,

I actually bought it off of ebay I could not find it at a better price locally. Everything was going to have to be special order.

I bought my fabric from Ats Acoustics . They also carry the 703 and their price was almost as good as what I found on ebay.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #111 of 244 Old 12-11-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Another Fellow MNer here. All I have to say WOW. Great job. I think compared to yours my setup should be the "Average joe's theater"

whats the dimensions of the seating area and your throw distance? looks like a nice sized area.

Great work.

- Josh
post #112 of 244 Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

Another Fellow MNer here. All I have to say WOW. Great job. I think compared to yours my setup should be the "Average joe's theater"

whats the dimensions of the seating area and your throw distance? looks like a nice sized area.

Great work.

- Josh

Hi Josh, Thanks.

The room size of the theater is 12' x 26'. The throw on the HD81 is going to be about 21'. I have not finalized the exact throw yet. Still thinking about it.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #113 of 244 Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Hey Joe,

Things are looking good. I'm glad to see the wall-mate is working out. The wall-mate easily saved me weeks of tacking and routing panels. Did you end up going through Mike at ASI? They have lots of good stuff over there.

Maybe in one of the next local tours I'll get to see your place finished?? I finally posted some pictures of my theater at Fotki - check it out.

Take Care,
Grant
post #114 of 244 Old 01-05-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantOv View Post

Hey Joe,

Things are looking good. I'm glad to see the wall-mate is working out. The wall-mate easily saved me weeks of tacking and routing panels. Did you end up going through Mike at ASI? They have lots of good stuff over there.

Maybe in one of the next local tours I'll get to see your place finished?? I finally posted some pictures of my theater at Fotki - check it out.

Take Care,
Grant

Thanks Grant.

No reason to wait. Just give me a hollar if you are in the Roseville neighborhood and you can definately stop over.

BTW, your links in your signature are not hot.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #115 of 244 Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One of the things I wanted to make sure I was able to do was control the rack mounted htPC from outside of the equipment cabinet. I found a nice little (8") touch sensitive monitor on Ebay that I mounted outside of the cabinet.

Here is the cabinet with the monitor turned on next to it.

Here is an out of focus closeup of the monitor

As a nice side benefit the monitor also has video input. So I can see what is playing though the receiver without having to turn the main projector on. Saving bulb lifetime this way.

Just another pic with the cabinet doors open.

Later,

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #116 of 244 Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Joe,

Is automation you middle name? Awesome setup. Quick question regarding this device, Is it wireless and how is it powered? I went back through your thread and didn't see a low voltage box next to your equipment closet.

Fill us in on how to do this.

Thanks,
James
post #117 of 244 Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Cradles View Post

Joe,

Is automation you middle name? Awesome setup. Quick question regarding this device, Is it wireless and how is it powered? I went back through your thread and didn't see a low voltage box next to your equipment closet.

Fill us in on how to do this.

Thanks,
James

Hey James,

Anytime you want to stop by you are certainly welcome.

I got it on ebay. It is a direct wire monitor. The nice thing though, it has a single 15 pin (vga like) cable coming out of the back of the monitor. It then goes into a six foot cable that splits out to vga input, usb (for touch screen), composite in, 9 volt power in, and stereo audio in.

Regarding automation, hah!! You have seen nothing yet!! I am just beginning with that. I have all of the components that I need with the exception of the wireless touch screen remote. I just can't find one that I like yet and I refuse to deal with a stupid hard drive that adds weight, reduces battery time, and requires a cooling fan.

I wil be automating everything with Main Lobby, Xantech equipment, USB-UIRT, and others. I am pretty excited to get going again on this part.

I just gotta stop watching the dang movies. I get so enthralled with it I waste tons of theater building time.

edit: the model number of the monitor is Tm-868

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #118 of 244 Old 01-06-2007, 08:04 AM

Hello Joe!

Thanks for the compliments on my post - we'll have to work something out in the near future to get together either in Hopkins or Roseville. You're right about the movies - once things become operational there seems so much more of a draw than working on the final details.

The little touchscreen is perfect! I've been trying to find a good recommendation for one for some time but couldn't find one someone could vouch for. I previously wasted $100 on one that ended up being such low quality you couldn't see good video if you were 20deg off axis.

I'll just need to figure out how to best connect it for a preview monitor. I don't have a HTPC and some of my components use ComponentsOut and others use HDMI since I run both to the projector. They don't all go through my preamp since it only supports CompOut (B&K50). I also would like to find a nice way to slide it in and out of storage with only using 1U of space. Hopefully all can be done with this unit. Any tips you could give would be great.

Grant

PS> thanks for the help on my signature - I was hoping someone would point out the right way to post the link.
post #119 of 244 Old 01-06-2007, 04:39 PM

Hello Joe,

I looked more into the LCD and see some references to a composite video input. Could you verify that if I brought my preview signals in via the composite video input that the only other cable would be power. A rear picture of the unit would be helpful also you had a free moment. I think with a cheap composite remote video switcher I could possibly make it work.

Thanks in advance,
Grant
post #120 of 244 Old 01-07-2007, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantOv View Post

Hello Joe,

I looked more into the LCD and see some references to a composite video input. Could you verify that if I brought my preview signals in via the composite video input that the only other cable would be power. A rear picture of the unit would be helpful also you had a free moment. I think with a cheap composite remote video switcher I could possibly make it work.

Thanks in advance,
Grant

Hi Grant,

I went down to take a pic but unless I unplugged everything it would not have made sense. So... here is a good explaination of the plugs available.

It has a standard 15-pin vga plug coming out of the back of the monitor on about a 6" cable. Supplied with the monitor is a matching 6 foot 15-pin cable that has the 15-pin vga on one end to atttach to the monitor and a number of plugs on the other end.

On the other end of the attachment cable it has 2 composite video RCA inputs, a USB plug for the touch sensitivity, a VGA plug for the computer, the power jack and an audio RCA plug.

I don't know how you would actually rack mount it though. It is fairly small and has a unique mounting bracket built into the back of it.

Hope this helps.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page