...must...create...ReedZone...Theater...thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks guys! Lots of votes for #3 - that actually surprised me a bit (DC, looks like great minds think alike )

I found that sconce locally and mounted it to see how it would look. I think its pretty cool actually.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't really highlight the texture on the fabric.

Aaron_hinni, where did you get those sconces and how much were they? I didn't realize you could get paintable ones - and I love the way they spread the light up and down. If I painted them my ceiling color that could look pretty cool too.

Any other suggestions guys?

Craig

No changes are permanent, but change is - Peart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I promised some screenshots, so here are a couple. The first is from King Kong (HD-DVD). I was trying to show the shadow detail and how great the blacks look, but I don't think that comes across in the picture. Can anyone tell me how to setup a digital camera to take good screenshots?? The second is the obligatory Leeloo shot from the SD-DVD (superbit). I'm happy to take more if you guys can tell me how to make them look better - these don't look anywhere near as good as they do on the screen.

Craig

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Just curious, what does #3 run?

Hi Cathan, missed your question first time around - they run CAD$125 locally.

Craig

post #184 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Craig,

The sconces look great I think

For screen shots what I do is save them on photobucket then import them as a clickable pic so people can blow them up to 800 x 600 (bigger is better )
As far as taking the photos of screen shots I have a hard time with this as well but Johnathan is going to post some tips on his thread (he just took a few on his set up and the pics look much better then any I've ever taken) Post #131 and 133
Here a quick link (he hasn't posted his camera settings or technique in detail yet but hopefully soon)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post10515799
Cheers
Calvin

Check out my construction thread below -

post #185 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_brew View Post

Hi Cathan, missed your question first time around - they run CAD$125 locally.

Thanks.

I actually like the way the lights pick up the fabric texture. When I saw the photo before reading your comments, I thought "Cool effect. I wonder if he planned for that?"

Michael

post #186 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 10:08 AM

Liked: 10
Looks great !!With what equipment did you acomplish the 2.35 image. Is the screen curved? If not, is there any noticeable pincushion? How far back is the projector?

Bill
post #187 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calv1n View Post

Craig,

The sconces look great I think

For screen shots what I do is save them on photobucket then import them as a clickable pic so people can blow them up to 800 x 600 (bigger is better )
As far as taking the photos of screen shots I have a hard time with this as well but Johnathan is going to post some tips on his thread (he just took a few on his set up and the pics look much better then any I've ever taken) Post #131 and 133
Here a quick link (he hasn't posted his camera settings or technique in detail yet but hopefully soon)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post10515799
Cheers
Calvin

Thanks Calvin, I'll look into Jonathan's suggestions when he posts them.

Craig

post #188 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Thanks.

I actually like the way the lights pick up the fabric texture. When I saw the photo before reading your comments, I thought "Cool effect. I wonder if he planned for that?"

Yeah that was the idea of having the sconces on the walls in between the columns - to light up and highlight the fabric. I have potlights too so the side lights are really just for ambiance.

Craig

post #189 of 946 Old 05-12-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxbridge View Post

Looks great !!With what equipment did you acomplish the 2.35 image. Is the screen curved? If not, is there any noticeable pincushion? How far back is the projector?

Bill

Hi Bill,
My equipment:
Projector: JVC RS-1
Screen: SMX SoundScreen (127"W x 54"H) on a custom wood frame - really glad I picked up the SMX last year!
Speakers: Monitor Audio Gold Reference (GR60, GR Center, GRFX, GR In-wall)
Amp: B&K Ref 200.7 S2
Pre: B&K Ref 50 S2
Sources: working on it (currently using XBox 360 and HD-DVD drive)

I'm also looking to get an anamorphic lens (Prismasonic or Panamorph) and scaler (likely Lumagen HDQ).

The screen is not curved, and I don't have any noticeable pincushion. The Projector is exactly 16'6" from the screen.

Hope that helps.

Craig.

Craig

post #190 of 946 Old 05-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Aaron_hinni, where did you get those sconces and how much were they? I didn't realize you could get paintable ones - and I love the way they spread the light up and down. If I painted them my ceiling color that could look pretty cool too.

I got them from a local lighting store. I'll see if I can dig up the receipt to see exactly how much we paid, and what the brand is. They were a special order, and I thought cost somewhere north of $100 a sconce. We ordered them in white thinking that we might paint them, but they ended up working out pretty good as is with our current room design.

We are in the process of redesigning how the room is going to look to accomodate the acoustical treatments. We might end up putting columns where the sconces are, which would require us to get narrower sconces. If we go this route, I'll either have to find somewhere else in the house to use them, or sell them. So if you like them, and think they would go better in your room then option #3, let me know.

Ready, Fire, Aim...

post #191 of 946 Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM

awesome looking build. Your theater has the dimensions I wish mine had. I guess you gotta "rung what ya brung". Keep up the good work!

~Chris

post #192 of 946 Old 05-13-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_hinni View Post

I got them from a local lighting store. I'll see if I can dig up the receipt to see exactly how much we paid, and what the brand is. They were a special order, and I thought cost somewhere north of $100 a sconce. We ordered them in white thinking that we might paint them, but they ended up working out pretty good as is with our current room design.

We are in the process of redesigning how the room is going to look to accomodate the acoustical treatments. We might end up putting columns where the sconces are, which would require us to get narrower sconces. If we go this route, I'll either have to find somewhere else in the house to use them, or sell them. So if you like them, and think they would go better in your room then option #3, let me know.

Thanks for the info Aaron. WAF is strongly in favour of metal on the sconces though so I think those might be out. I'm still looking at #3 as well. It will probably take me another 6 months to make a decision

Craig

post #193 of 946 Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwracer3 View Post

awesome looking build. Your theater has the dimensions I wish mine had. I guess you gotta "rung what ya brung". Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Truth be told, I'd love to have another 18" - 24" of width. But, like you said, you gotta run what ya brung (I used to race vintage cars so this saying resonates well with me )

Craig

post #194 of 946 Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For good screen shots you need a tripod and fairly long exposure times. Like 2-3 seconds.

And, I also agree with others that you make them bigger. Even 800x600 can help.

BTW - Great build. You've done a lot of work.

ebr

post #195 of 946 Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks ebr, I'll give that a try. I'm not much of a photographer so I'll have to break down and go get a tripod Any suggestions for how to setup the camera. I know enough to turn off the flash but that's about it

Craig

post #196 of 946 Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Setup depends completely on the camera. Depending on how bright your screen is and how close to it you are you may not need that long of an exposure. Its possible the Auto mode of the camera will do fine and you just need to get it good and steady on a tripod.

If the camera has either a timer to release the shutter or a remote control - use that so that your hand pushing the button doesn't introduce any camera shake.

ebr

post #197 of 946 Old 05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

If the camera has either a timer to release the shutter or a remote control - use that so that your hand pushing the button doesn't introduce any camera shake.

or it will look like a bad acid trip

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #198 of 946 Old 05-18-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
O.K., I have totally missed out on this thread until now (thanks for posting in EBR's thread....) and have to say that if you are doing all this work (I didn't read everything in here), you are an amazing craftsman and should be very proud of your work.

Amazing stuff.

Scott

post #199 of 946 Old 05-18-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr View Post

Setup depends completely on the camera. Depending on how bright your screen is and how close to it you are you may not need that long of an exposure. Its possible the Auto mode of the camera will do fine and you just need to get it good and steady on a tripod.

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks ebr.

Craig

post #200 of 946 Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

O.K., I have totally missed out on this thread until now (thanks for posting in EBR's thread....) and have to say that if you are doing all this work (I didn't read everything in here), you are an amazing craftsman and should be very proud of your work.

Amazing stuff.

Thanks Scott! Much appreciated. I've done pretty much everything in the theater other than the electrical which I had done with the rest of the basement. I have to say, its turned out even better than I thought it would. Still need to get our chairs and I have one major project left (riser) plus lots of little stuff left to do, but at least we can enjoy movies now!

Craig.

Craig

post #201 of 946 Old 05-18-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Craig - The Theatre and Bar area are looking great. Love the color scheme you used in the Theatre.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================

index on 1st post

post #202 of 946 Old 05-18-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mark, coming from you I take that as a very big compliment. Your build looks great - the bar is stunning.

Craig

post #203 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: I finally got the doors stained and hung last weekend. Although I'm doing the theater in Cherry, I decided on Oak for the doors. The simple reason was cost. HD had a sale on 6 panel Oak doors for $140 ea. The Cherry doors would have been $700 ea. I just couldn't justify the difference. The hardwood on the floor outside the theater is also Oak, so it does tie in with that. Still, the perfectionist in me wants the Cherry. What do you guys think?

Craig

post #204 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You may have noticed the crappy old couches in the pictures - those are (thank God) temporary. We've finally ordered our HT seats. I went a much different route than I thought I would. We ended up ordering Berkline 45004's with a fabric that looks kind of like leather. I almost ordered leather, but we decided we'd rather have the fabric. Go figure. Anyway, it saved me a load of cash. Once we get the seats I'll put them in the theater and figure out how I want the riser configured.

Craig

post #205 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also started configuring the equipment Rack. Are there any tried and true methods for racking equipment btw? I did it in this order (from the bottom up)

I think I may end up pulling the Media Server and sticking it in the equipment room to make more room in the rack for a BR player and another cable box.

HTPC
----------------
no space
----------------
MEDIA SERVER
----------------
1U
----------------
B&K 200.7 AMP (HT)
----------------
2U
----------------
B&K Ref 50 PREAMP (HT)
----------------
1U
----------------
Pioneer VSX49-txi Receiver (for family room 5.1 system)
----------------
1U
----------------
Denon 2400 receiver (for whole house audio - to be replaced with Russound CAV)
----------------
no space
----------------
MOTOROLA 6416 PVR
----------------
no space
----------------
Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD (man I wish these were more rack friendly)

Craig

post #206 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is what the back looks like right now. I bought some rack rails and I'm going to build another rack against the wall on the right to terminate all the wiring in the house to keystone jacks. I'll also put my modem, router, switch, tel distro and IR distro on that side and run interconnects over to the rack. Right now its a daunting mess

Craig

post #207 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The stain job on the doors looks nice. For low-cost doors, I would have gone with poplar instead of oak.
post #208 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Craig - I think the doors rock. Very warm. I also like the angle of how they open. Very inviting.

Michael

post #209 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just couldn't justify the difference. The hardwood on the floor outside the theater is also Oak, so it does tie in with that. Still, the perfectionist in me wants the Cherry. What do you guys think?

Given that your doors open out and the floor outside your theater is oak, I think you made a good choice. You likely wouldn't have been doing too much admiring of your fancy cherry doors, located behind you, inside your dark theater anyway. Looks nice!

Ready, Fire, Aim...

post #210 of 946 Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Wadsworth View Post

The stain job on the doors looks nice. For low-cost doors, I would have gone with poplar instead of oak.

Thanks Kevin. I thought about Poplar, but those doors were sitting there on the shelf and my impulsive side took over I figured worst case, I can pull them down and do something else. In other words, it was either these or I'll bite the bullet and do the Cherry.

Craig

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page