HOCN Art Deco Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-22-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a few years of wishing and several months of reading, demolition will begin on my man cave.

This will be remodel of the basement of a 1960's house. Room is 15' x 22.5' with a fireplace on the left side wall. My wife wants an art deco theater! As you can see from the present pictures, the stone fireplace will have to go, and on Monday, demolition begins.

Equipment will be a Sharp 12K projector, Pioneer VSX84TXSI driving a 7.2 Klipsch Ultra II system: three KL-650's and two KW-120-TH behind an AT screen, likely a DIY Sandmans SMX, KL-525s for rears and KL-525 surrounds for the surrounds.

I've loaded some SketchUps of our first drawings and would welcome any input. We will be building a screenwall to mount the screen, hide the speakers.

For acoustic treatments, the entire forward wall will be treated with Owen Corning 1 inch 705 or equiv. The side and rear walls will be treated with the same material up to four feet wrapped in black cloth. The floor will be carpet with a felt pad, installed upside down as suggested on this site.

The ceiling is still in design with much thought for Sandmans starry night with 705, but with a 7 1/2' height, not much room to work with. The present ceiling is drywall with a very reflective finish. As our lighting changes and conduit work for projector will require much of the ceiling to be torn out, we may end up completely removing the ceiling giving access for isolation insulation and more options for acoustic treatments.

Please take a look. Although I have learned much from this site and the excellent book Alan Gouger has put together, I am hopeful you will have some suggestions and enjoy seeing my progress.

DJK
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-28-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Edited to note the loss of the fireplace and correct placement of the rear speakers. Also added soffits and colums to the drawings.
I've attached some starting photos as well.
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 28 Old 10-29-2006, 06:12 PM

Nice to see someone close by.

I am sure ripping out the fireplace is going to be some big fun. I look forward to seeing your progress. How are you going to seal the chimney?
post #4 of 28 Old 10-31-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

My builder has to do all the messy stuff, I don't know but will ask.

While the jackhammer's have been tearing out the fireplace and old slate floor, I've been looking into home automation.

I've decided on the QCQ system form Charmed Quark to give the hacker in me an opportunity to play. Only problem is, this is my first Windows experience! My son has an unused machine to use as the server and I found Planar 15" touch screens at $160 each using $450 mini-itx's to drive them. Trolling Ebay for a USB-UIRT and other items needed. Luckily this system already works with SlimPlayer, our music playing system.

Looks like my first Windoze experience will be a build it your own hardware and work your own interface. Here we go...
post #5 of 28 Old 11-01-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 66
If you are going to have two subs, wouldn't you want to place the second one at a complementary position in order to minimize nulls? So if the one stayed right of center at the bottom, which is one of the common positions to avoid problems, you could put the other left of center at the top perhaps? I don't know if that's the optimum complementary placement or not, but it's probably a practical one since you have the room behind the screen whereas placing it in the upper left rear might be harder.

Just a thought, I'm not a room design expert by any means. But if I were going to go through the expense to have two subs, I'd definitely want to combine them in the optimize way to get the smoothest response.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #6 of 28 Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

And I'm not an expert at anything HT. Drawings are based upon Klipsch's recommendations. But I am dropping extra wire in both back corners and back middle. After construction will test for the best sounding boom!
post #7 of 28 Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well, thanks to Jeremy at LogicSupply, I've ordered the parts for the small computer that will drive the 15" screen:

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x VIA EPIA ME6000 Fanless Mini-ITX Mainboard $144.00
1 x Transcend DDR266 memory 256 MB $45.00
1 x Notebook 2.5" IDE Hard Drive 40GB Samsung 5400rpm $65.00
1 x Sony CRX320EEB2S 5.25 CD-RW/DVD Combo $38.00
1 x Morex 3677B Mini-ITX Case - Black $85.00
- A/C Adapter (brick): A/C Power Adapter 60W (PW-AC 60W)
1 x Microsoft Windows XP Home with Vista Upgrade Coupon $115.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $492.00

With the $160 screen my total cost will be well below the inwall NOBU 12" touch screen/Windoze tablet street valued at $3000!.
post #8 of 28 Old 11-12-2006, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Assembled the first teeny weeny computer, actually assembled my first computer, actually was my first experience with a windoze computer and was not too bad. Could have been easier if the parts had any instructions but the connectors seemed to just fall into the correct place and fired up the first time.

Also took the case off the 12 inch Planar touchscreen to make installation look a bit better. The screen has screw tabs that my builder feels will make attachment to the wall quite easy. Will mount flush to the wall with trim work to match the room.

Have also been trolling craigslist for a rack, plenty around with tech companies coming and going, and believe have found a vendor with a good rack ($250) and a couple of 1 u servers ($75 each) for the touch screens near the AV equipment room and QCQ server. He also has a much more robust 4 u machine ($250) that I may try to make my HTPC.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Liked: 11
man, are those photos SMALL Are you using some sort of spy camera?

How about making them a little larger so us guys with bifocals can see them?

PS I am not yelling, just giving an example

Bob
post #10 of 28 Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, they are small. Try these links.
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=htpc007le9.jpg

post #11 of 28 Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks,

That is a small windows pc. What type is it again? Appreciate the bigger photos.

Bob
post #12 of 28 Old 11-14-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Planar 12 inch touch screen, $160 each refurb at PacificGeek.com Mini iTX case from logicsupply.com
post #13 of 28 Old 12-05-2006, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Been a bit slow, finally completed the wiring and drywall, ready to start mudding. Note the wires are visible from the ceiling, did not see a need to tear out the ceiling as will be installing a drop-down ceiling for starry ceiling. Also placed an empty conduit back to the projector cabinet "just-in-case".

Have been busy working on the home automation. CQC is great. Will tie into my SlimServer for whole house audio and am building an HTPC with 3 Terabyte storage. Here are some screenshots of the artwork I will use for the touchscreens.

I'll use these art deco pics for the background and add the buttons for Movie, TV, Audio...
post #14 of 28 Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Nice art deco pics. I like the bottom frame one a lot. I plan to build a simulated ticket booth on the outside of my door someday and I snagged your photo for inspiration. Can't wait to see how your room turns out. Keep up the good work and keep those photos coming

Mike
post #15 of 28 Old 01-14-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, after the holidays the workers magically appeared, of course almost three feet of snow did slow them down a bit. Here is a pic of the screenwall with paneling:

And here is a picture of one of the columns almost completed. We got lucky with the paneling, another customer of our builder did not like the stain and was sold to us at cost. Of course it is now being installed all over the downstairs, wiping out any cost savings.

A shot of the small bathroom next to the theater. You can tell from this pic that my wife is an interior decorator and not afraid to spend my money.

And a shot with all the wires coming out of the wall in the small equipment room under the stairs for the theater room and rec room just next door.

And finally a pic of the computer lab. I have tried to duplicate the setup that will be in the basement to get CQC up and running. You can't see the PJ but it is aimed at a small screen just to test ouput. CQC has really been a great choice and having much more success with TheaterTek over Zoomplayer, was just too hard for me to setup.

This week should finish the trim work and will start installing the acoustic treatments. Had to choose 1" duct board over 2" due to cost, more than twice the cost and the 2" was over $5K, should work fine though.
post #16 of 28 Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Getting a little closer to finishing, here are some pics.

Some shots of the finished columns:

Here is the screen with the sound board applied and ready for those big bad Klipsch speakers and subs:

Here is a shot of the touchscreen installed into the wall:

Here is the screen with the frame, held in place with velcro. A small hole exists in the frame to access the power button. You can see a bit of the CQC screen, I will try to load some screen shots of the final product.

Currently waiting for an 80 foot HDMI fiber optic cable to be delivered. After installing and confirming that it is functioning, will start installing the starfield fiber optic panels:
post #17 of 28 Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the finalized column:

A view of the front, note the sound panels installed:

The sound panels are 1 inch duct fiberboard with the foil backing removed, mounted directly to the wall with 2x1's and then covered with GOM stretched on a removeable frame.

The 80 foot fiber optic HDMI cable has finally been installed and will hopeful get the ceiling panels installed tomorrow.
post #18 of 28 Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 AM

Those columns are pretty sweet - nice, elegant detail. ESPECIALLY intrigued by that porthole door. Did you have it custom made?
post #19 of 28 Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Wow! You really nailed your art deco look. Excellent details I really like it

Can you post a picture of your wall with all of the GOM installed? I'd like to show it to a friend who's considering a media room in his basement but doesn't want to go too heavy on the theater side -- but I'm trying to convince him he should consider sound treatment but can make it blend well.

Thanks,
Mike
post #20 of 28 Old 03-03-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

The door was custom made, my wife who is an interior designer found the door for $2K but the general contractor was able to have one custom made for $600.
post #21 of 28 Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics hopefully showing sound treatments with high WAF. We were not very happy with the premade solutions, bit expensive and not our tastes so built our own. The ceiling is not quite finished so the lines at the wall/ceiling are not quite straight yet, hopefully by tomorrow will be done:

A view of the back, much ceiling missing here. We had a panel that needed a little convincing to fit properly and delayed installation:

A view of the awesome porthole door opened on wall next to a column. No sound treatments here, just didn't fit in the decor. Always give and take with sound treatments and decor.

And a view towards the screen:

With the lights off you can get a see the star ceiling and column lights. I made a mistake with the rope lighting ordering the LED. Even though they use less electricity, last long and rarely need changing, they cannot be dimmed and are of limited use. Will likely need changed at sometime.
post #22 of 28 Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks! That really is turning out quite nice.

Mike
post #23 of 28 Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Looks good although I too suggest the subs be placed opposing one another and placed at a null of each opposing wall. This could be the center of the wall(not the center of the screen) of the front and rear wall or the cener of the two side walls. This excites only two room modes and their opposition cancels out those.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

The sub placement has been quite controversial! No one seems to agree with placing both subs next to each other in the front of the screen. No one except Klipsch. Seems these THX subs like to be next to each other. And the sound is INCREDIBLE.

I did wire for sub placement in the back of the room just in case though!

Current problem is a nail. One nail in the wrong place. Just in the middle of a $580 fiber optic HDMI cable. Oh Murphy!!!

Initially the installer wants to try and repair the cable. The killer nail was in the back of the room and hope is to cut at the injury, pull the cable utilizing the spare cable in the equipment room, and reconnect. He has found a QWest installer with experience in fiber optic repair so hopefully will work. Plan B will be another cable, hope to install along the crown molding with the rope lighting to avoid pulling down the ceiling.

Oh Murphy!!! And I've been taught he is a optimist!
post #25 of 28 Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemme View Post

The sub placement has been quite controversial! No one seems to agree with placing both subs next to each other in the front of the screen. No one except Klipsch. Seems these THX subs like to be next to each other. And the sound is INCREDIBLE.

I did wire for sub placement in the back of the room just in case though!

Current problem is a nail. One nail in the wrong place. Just in the middle of a $580 fiber optic HDMI cable. Oh Murphy!!!

Initially the installer wants to try and repair the cable. The killer nail was in the back of the room and hope is to cut at the injury, pull the cable utilizing the spare cable in the equipment room, and reconnect. He has found a QWest installer with experience in fiber optic repair so hopefully will work. Plan B will be another cable, hope to install along the crown molding with the rope lighting to avoid pulling down the ceiling.

Oh Murphy!!! And I've been taught he is a optimist!

I am sorry to hear that your cable was damaged. I dread to think what would have happened had it occurred to me.

There are definately a lot of opinions out there on sub placement. Some habits die hard but as technology marches forward, some of us old dogs need to learn new tricks. The old days of bass reinforcment using corner placement is changing as power levels and lower distortion have drastically improved.

Here is a link to Harman International's white papers. They make some compelling arguements and its scientific approach is hard to argue with.

Hope this gives you some ideas and congratulations once again on a great home theater.

Subwoofers and placement solutions for multiple subwoofers
post #26 of 28 Old 10-21-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got the last receiver purchased and installed and able to complete the CQC interface. Here is a link to some images:

http://homepage.mac.com/dougkemme/ArtDecoCQC/

The first image is the Home Page for the Theater. The user could select home pages for the touch screens in the RecRoom or Kitchen as well.

The Weather is shown by clicking on the Weather box in the lower right corner.

If the user clicks on Movies, a list of movies that are available are presented. When one is selected, a description of the movie is shown with the option to play or cancel. If play is selected, the projector is started and the remote control is set to control the movie player.

If TIVO is chosen, the source is changed to TIVO and the remote controls are then sent to the TIVO unit.

Pressing the stop button on the remote control turns everything off! Off is also a choice on the touch screens.

Even my wife can work this one!

One of the best features is the ability to turn down the volume in the theater if the kids games get too loud and even turn off if the don't head our advice to come up for dinner NOW.
post #27 of 28 Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Although I was happy to post before and after pics on my theater, I am not enjoying the after water pipe bursts shots. Our first freeze found a pipe just above my projector and two rear speakers and soaked the carpet damaging both woofers. I came across this post on AVS Forums seeking information my insurance adjuster has requested. Just to add insult to injury, I found a backup projector in the same cabinet, also soaked. I'm now off to the Projector People looking for a replacement to my Sharp 12K and Klipsch rear speakers and two subs. Ugh....

post #28 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sorry to hear that dkemme. Our master bathroom is above our HT, and I pray that we dont have any leaks to deal with in the future. Hopefully your insurance co will take good care of you.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page