post #31 of 52 Old 12-12-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Caesar, Just curious, Have you had a discussion with the builder about HVAC duct routes and plumbing? I can see some sub contractors coming in and really messing with that great space you have planned.

I was on site today with the electrician, marking the walls for speaker wiring locations, etc. As luck would have it, the builder's architect showed up coincidentally at the same time.

I found out that there will actually be 3 trunk lines going through the ceiling of the media room (a trunk for the upstairs; a trunk for the main floor and a return). However, there will be no soffits or duct chases in the media room. The drop ceiling will cover all the trunks.

So the room will be a perfect rectangle as on the diagram (with the drop ceiling). So I will get the space expected, without subcontractors messing it up. The only blip being the known post in the room.

Fortunately, the electrician was there getting this information too, who will now communicate with the HVAC sub, to make sure the recessed lighting in the media room can go where we want between the trunk lines. As we marked out those locations today too.

The architect indicated that the ducts should be quiet and will not vibrate from a subwoofer or when the furnace/AC goes on/off. The trunks will all be insulated.

I hope he's right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 12-18-2006, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

It's hard to tell exactly where they will be running the main supply and return ducts. The will generally run perpendicular to the joists and hang below and run nearly the entire length of the house. All the take offs look like they can be tucked up in the floor joist cavities.

If you know where they will put the furnace than you can guess where the main trunks might run. I've looked at the floor plan and it's not clear but I took my best guess

top is where they will want it, bottom is where you want it. I don't know of the clearances available. and adding turns decreases efficiency. You might want to discuss this with the builder. Worst case is the need to drop the ceiling below the ducts in the theater which I guess you were planning all along.

The best solution is to have it on the perimeter of the room hid in a soffit that goes all around the room of aesthetics. Your metal beam and location of stairs if conspiring against you.

Uh oh. Houston we have a problem. HVAC raised a red flag.

It looks like the HVAC guy does indeed want to put the furnace almost exactly where you indicated. I was told that the recessed lighting we have picked out in the media room may not be possible, as there will be 9 feet of space for duct work (next to the beam) going through the ceiling in the media room (the 2 trunks and the return). Which leaves only 5 feet of space on the left side of the room for recessed lighting.

Although there must be a way to use recessed lighting even with ducts running close to the drop ceiling?

Anyway, the HVAC people and my builder are meeting today to see what can be done -- if anything.

Let me ask you a question. The turns that you show -- so that the trunks run through the storage area instead of the media room -- how difficult is that for the HVAC people to do? And will that mess up the HVAC in the entire house -- as I know these ducts are sized and spaced by computer.

In other words, what are the ramifications to making those duct turns in your diagram? Is it simply a matter of larger ducts (I believe a larger unit is out of the question)?
post #33 of 52 Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Let me ask you a question. The turns that you show -- so that the trunks run through the storage area instead of the media room -- how difficult is that for the HVAC people to do? And will that mess up the HVAC in the entire house -- as I know these ducts are sized and spaced by computer.

In other words, what are the ramifications to making those duct turns in your diagram? Is it simply a matter of larger ducts (I believe a larger unit is out of the question)?

The turns are not hard to do at all, purely from an installation viewpoint. You will lose velocity in your ductwork, meaning that to heat or cool the house the system will have to run longer. Running longer means higher bills (actual cost based on your area and comfort tastes). However, doing the installation itself with the bends isn't difficult.
post #34 of 52 Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

The turns are not hard to do at all, purely from an installation viewpoint. You will lose velocity in your ductwork, meaning that to heat or cool the house the system will have to run longer. Running longer means higher bills (actual cost based on your area and comfort tastes). However, doing the installation itself with the bends isn't difficult.

Well apparently in home construction (not custom), HVAC wins.

I'm told there is no choice, the 3 trunk lines are going through the media room ceiling. The steel beams prevent the duct work from going in the ceiling above the stairs (to make the turn).

The downside to this is that I will not be going with recessed lights (since I would only be able to do it on one side of the room).

I will go with additional wall sconces for lighting -- 2 on each side wall and 2 on the back wall. Each sconce is 100 watts (so that's 600 watts of sconces), so hopefully that is sufficient lighting for the room for those times I need a good amount of light (not watching a movie; but watching football, etc.).
post #35 of 52 Old 12-21-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whew, just heard from the electrician who was at the house after the HVAC work was done. He says the builder was raising a fuss over nothing. Even with the trunk lines runing through the media room ceiling, the recessed lights can fit.

One set of cans will be at 3' 10 inches, instead of 4' in from the side wall. But I doubt anyone will notice the slight bit of off centering.

So it looks like everything is good after plumbing and HVAC have done their parts.
post #36 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Liked: 10
Looks good, we just went through building a house in Douglassville, PA (by reading... we work in King of Prussia). Had some of the same headaches. We're looking to start finishing our basement in a few months, so I'll be tagging along to watch your progress. Good luck!

Nick
post #37 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyq627 View Post

Looks good, we just went through building a house in Douglassville, PA (by reading... we work in King of Prussia). Had some of the same headaches. We're looking to start finishing our basement in a few months, so I'll be tagging along to watch your progress. Good luck!

Nick

Thanks. Pretty much done now -- the dry wall is now up in the entire house.

I haven't added pictures lately, since its so dark down there now, until the lighting goes in.
post #38 of 52 Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, the builder is moving right along on the whole house (closing is only 4 weeks away). Here is the latest in the theater room.

Here is a shot of the screen wall (the 2 highest sockets are for the front left/right speakers -- they'll plug in right there). The center socket is obviously for the center speaker and there is also a socket for the sub cable and outlet for the sub in the left corner:

It doesn't look it, but the left and right speakers are 10 feet apart. So there is plenty of room in between for a 114 inch diag screen (106 inches wide with the frame).

This next picture shows the wall where all the speaker wires and projector cables home run to. Those bundled black cables on the floor are coming from the projector location. Unfortunately, this also shows the post that had to go in the room. I am asking the builder to make the framing and dry wall smaller around the post -- since I didn't think there is a need to make that 4 times the size of the actual round metal post. Does it have to be that big by code or something? Notice the baseboard trim on the post hangs over the riser (by about an inch). Perhaps the rug will cover that, if they don't re-do the post.

And here is a shot from the front/screen wall, looking back towards the riser and the entrance (the black cable bundle is where the projector will be):

The post is doubly annoying, since it is right around where my right side surround speaker has to go. This picture shows the speaker wiring for that speaker (also the fixture plates for the wall sconces):

I think it will be fine with the post though, since I'm using dipoles, which project towards the front and the back (not straight out) -- so it should go around the post.

Don't worry about the paint color on the walls. The builder does the entire house in one color (that we chose). That color is great for the rest of the house (but not this room). I will have the screen wall painted black though, and the other 3 walls a reddish color.

Finally, just for kicks, a shot of the outside of the house:

post #39 of 52 Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a closeup of the post in the media room - -with the trim overhang.

I really hope I can get the builder to fix that.

post #40 of 52 Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 PM

Very nice home Caesar!

Your profile doesn't say where you're from - I'm gussing this isn't Texas!

-Jack
post #41 of 52 Old 02-01-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementjack2 View Post

Very nice home Caesar!

Your profile doesn't say where you're from - I'm gussing this isn't Texas!

Philadelphia suburbs.
post #42 of 52 Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Here's a closeup of the post in the media room - -with the trim overhang.

I really hope I can get the builder to fix that.

Looks good

Why not trim out the front of the riser? That should cover the overhang that you have with the post trim quite nicely I would think.

BK
post #43 of 52 Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
if carpet is going on the front of it it should be fine. I like the garage doors ya picked

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #44 of 52 Old 02-02-2007, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

if carpet is going on the front of it it should be fine. I like the garage doors ya picked

Thanks -- those garage doors are standard though. I didn't get to pick them.

As far as the post -- carpet will be there. However, I still don't like the fact that the way they finished the post, made it at least 4 times bigger than the post itself.

Here's the actual size of the post:

There is no reason the framing and dry wall has to make the obstruction that large. I want it as small as possible. It should be a square when finished (not a rectangle) around the round diameter of the metal post.

The builder told me yesterday that they will fix it.
post #45 of 52 Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

how close are they to being done with the house. the miss's and i just built a new house last year we could not wait to get in

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #46 of 52 Old 02-08-2007, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

how close are they to being done with the house. the miss's and i just built a new house last year we could not wait to get in

Closing is February 21st -- so exactly 2 weeks.

We move in on the 28th.

In between the 21st and the 25th I have set up delivery for:

1. Carada Screen

2. SVS subwoofer

3. Epson 810 Projector

4. Paradigm speakers

5. various other a/v products

All of which will be installed on the 25th (before we move in). Media room is being painted on the 22nd and 23rd.
post #47 of 52 Old 02-10-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

WOOT cant wait to see pics

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #48 of 52 Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, after moving and unpacking and setting up, I was finally able to take some pictures. Unfortunately the batteries in my camera went after just 3 pictures. So this is just a taste. I'll have more later:

Here is a view from the entrance door. That is a 114 inch Carada screen (screen wall is painted black -- other 3 walls painted "flower pot" red:

My biggest fear was that the 1st row was to close to the screen (11 feet) for the size of the screen. As it turns out - its perfect. You feel like you are in an actual movie theater -- and seeing the pixel structure is not an issue -- unless you really try to look for it in credits or a big area of white.

Here is a view of my humble A/V rack. I just have 3 components: cable box, Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver and Oppo 981 DVD player. Behind that wall is unfinished space, so one day I may have an in-wall rack put in, but I don't think what I have looks bad, since I don't have a ton of components, and it doesn't interfere with the room:

And a view of the back wall (Epson Pro Cinema 810 projector):

Speakers are:

Paradigm Studio 20s -- Fronts
Paradigm Studio CC470 -- Center
Paradigm ADP 590s -- Side Surrounds
Paradigm Atoms -- Back surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD -- Subwoofer

I have watched the Departed and "Flags of Our Fathers" so far. It looks and sounds great.

My family and friends that have visited have all said "wow" as they entered the room.

Right now I just have the 4 Berkline 088s for seating and nothing on the riser. I will eventually (before football season) move the 4 Berklines back onto the rise and replace the front row with 3 complete chairs of Berkline 090s (no sharing arm rests). 3 individual chairs.

So seating will be for 7 people -- which should be enough for most purposes. I don't have that many friends ; )
post #49 of 52 Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Grats on getting moved in theater looks great !!!! can't wait to get some more done on mine need to get a thread started electrician is coming Wednesday

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #50 of 52 Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So seating will be for 7 people -- which should be enough for most purposes. I don't have that many friends ; )

I suspect that you'll suddenly have many more friends now that the theater is complete.

Guy
post #51 of 52 Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post

I suspect that you'll suddenly have many more friends now that the theater is complete.

Guy

I hope so. But it seems like most of my friends and relatives find it awkward to be in someone's home and not constantly chat. So it will take some getting used to for them to get together and then watch a movie in silence, as you would in a commercial theater (errr, as most adults do in a theater).
post #52 of 52 Old 08-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hope so. But it seems like most of my friends and relatives find it awkward to be in someone's home and not constantly chat. So it will take some getting used to for them to get together and then watch a movie in silence, as you would in a commercial theater (errr, as most adults do in a theater).

Your theater looks great caesar. Maybe you can host the first Philly Area Meet and Greet . Just joking, but I am sure you are having some good times in that spot there.

Curtis
Xbox Live ID: Blaze104
MSI Media Live DIVA 5.1
Ahanix MCE701 case
LG Blu-ray/HD-DVD
3 Cable Card
1 HDHomerun
Windows 7 32bit
42" HP MediaSmart
WHS Norco 4020 case w/ WHS 2011
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List