I don't know what to name my theater, but I am starting a thread anyway - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 294 Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Classic! Now it looks like that outlet may be in the way also. Go get your drywall saw

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 294 Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Geek,
That particular wall I don't think was load bearing so I think were ok there. I am trying to stay as far away as possible from any load bearing destruction. Something about not wanting the roof to collapse or the 2nd floor to drop into my kitchen. If your technique is likened to Taz, I guess mine would be more like Wiley Coyote. Thought out, planned, measured, and never seems to turn out like it drew it up.
post #63 of 294 Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd View Post

Classic! Now it looks like that outlet may be in the way also. Go get your drywall saw

Gonzo,
I see you are trying to get me to do more work that will lead to more suprises. Well lucky for me the outlet actually ISN'T in the way and therefore requires no further attention.

Of course the outlet in the back of the room does need to be spliced into to supply power to my front row of seats. This will be done by running electrical under my riser. The question is, do I do the splice and run the new electrical through a small hole in the wall doing all the work from the attic, or cut a hole in the drywall from inside the room and do the work from in there? I am pretty sure I want do it from the attic so I don't have to patch any more drywall, however if I cut the drywall low enough on the wall any necessary patchwork will be covered by the riser and therefore will never be seen. The question I guess is how big of a hole will I have to cut do to the work from in there?
post #64 of 294 Old 12-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Alrighty, any place where wiring is spliced or wirenutted together is a spot that has to be accessible. For example, if you have two outlets in a chain, if you have the splicing done inside the outlet box then that's fine. If you have a splice sitting on an exterior block wall in the half inch space that the furring strips leave between the block and the 15 layers of drywall and GG, then that's not so good.

Stuffed up in the attic is OK, provided you can get to it should you need to. Oh, and any connection needs to be in a small enclosed box as opposed to just flapping in the breeze.
post #65 of 294 Old 12-24-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... Interesting info there. It sounds like I may need to do the splicing in the outlet box. Which honestly I never thought of, but it definitely makes sense. Of course, there will probably be some piece of metal or something thats hidden that you aren't telling me about that will make it about 10x harder than I am imagining in my head . I guess thats the beauty of DIY building, you don't know what you get until someone suggests something and you blindly go along with it .

Now the question I have for you Geek is how do you know all this? Second, why do you know all this? The answer to both is probably "Its common sense and only a moron doesn't know how to properly splice electrical wiring."

Signed,
Moron
post #66 of 294 Old 12-25-2006, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Blackcatt,
Let me give you some advice, and this comes from personal experience. Before you jump into electrical, get a $10 basic electrical book from HD or Lowes. It will take about 30 minutes to learn what you need to know. If not, it will take you hours and hours to repair things that you do incorrectly. Once again, speaking from experience

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #67 of 294 Old 12-25-2006, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Wow Gonzo, some advice to help me reduce my work . Thats amazing, thanks. I think I will pick one of those up.

Now as for this "personal experience" do tell, do tell. I hope its well documented somewhere.
post #68 of 294 Old 12-26-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatt View Post

Wow Gonzo, some advice to help me reduce my work . Thats amazing, thanks. I think I will pick one of those up.

Now as for this "personal experience" do tell, do tell. I hope its well documented somewhere.

Yep, post number 5 on my thread. I like to call it the "fiberglass abyss" experience. I think Disney is developing a new ride based on the concept

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #69 of 294 Old 12-26-2006, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yep, post number 5 on my thread. I like to call it the "fiberglass abyss" experience. I think Disney is developing a new ride based on the concept

WOW... a pic is worth a thousand words... The pic alone convinced me to buy a book, do some more research or all of the above. I have read part of your thread before but I guess I skipped over the Pearl #1 part . I guess I should read more of your thread. I think I might do a find on the weard "Pearl" just so I don't miss anything.
post #70 of 294 Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now the question I have for you Geek is how do you know all this? Second, why do you know all this? The answer to both is probably "Its common sense and only a moron doesn't know how to properly splice electrical wiring."

Signed,
Moron

My father-in-law is an electrician so I have been able to ween some knowledge off of him. There's also the fact that pretty much anything electrical that needs to be done with the theater is something that I've either deferred to him or at minimum consulted with him at first.

He also has the uncanny ability to Gumby his way through nearly any opening.
post #71 of 294 Old 12-26-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek View Post

He also has the uncanny ability to Gumby his way through nearly any opening.

LOL, thats hilarious. Unfortunately, I think I am on my own in that regard and I am not what you call the most flexible person in the world. So we shall see how that goes as I progress.
post #72 of 294 Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Keep the updates coming BlackCatt!

Looking forward to the finished result!

Subscribing.

Tboy
post #73 of 294 Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy555 View Post

Looking forward to the finished result!

Yeah, so am I man... So am I...
post #74 of 294 Old 01-07-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, its question time again. Does anyone have sconces on only one side of their room? Why you ask? Okay none of you actually care enough to ask but I will try to explain anyway. If you look at my room layout here
You will notice the wall separating the bonus room and the media room. Well seeing as how these were all finished rooms when I moved in I didn't exactly have access to wire for sconces on that wall. All the other walls I have attic access to and can get to . If anyone has done (or seen) sconces on one side of the room how does it look? If anyone has pics of it even better.
post #75 of 294 Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Alright, first question... are you doing the full acoustical treatment? By this, I'm asking if you are going to cover the walls with Linacoustic and Dacron batting before dumping a layer of GOM or Dazian Expo cloth over it. If so, then possibilities abound, and wouldn't be all that tough either. If you're planning on leaving the room just drywalled then it gets tricky, but it's still quite doable.

Wait, no I just took another look at what remains of your heavy hand at moving the HVAC return. Whatever it is about destroying walls that normal people fear, you obviously don't. Take that saw to the wall again.

Now, between the studs at the top of the wall is fireblocking, which are just horizontal boards covering the top of the interior of framed walls. You'll need to drill through that to run the wires through. When you're done running the wire through, you'll want to staple it into place to make it seem semi-professional and then fill in the rest of the hole in the fireblocking with Great Stuff or some other expanding foam product. Any other horizontal blocking in the wall will not have the requirement of foaming in the holes, just the top one.

Oh, and don't forget the nail plates. Of course, nail plates mean little to folks like myself. We just redouble our efforts and keep on drilling.
post #76 of 294 Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Geek,
I knew I could count on you to try and get me to do more work. I am beginning to think you like to watch other people tear down perfectly useful walls just to have them patch it again. Then again, maybe its just me.

For your first question. No, not at this time. Before everyone goes on a rant about your really should do this, why stop now, why even bother, etc... etc... I know this isn't a popular decision, but it is one I have had to make going into this project. While it won't be fun, the possibility exists that I could go back an do this at a later time. Right now however I don't think I have the money to do it. Yes, I realize things like this would be a whole lot easier if I was doing linacoustic or the like, but I can't imagine it would be cheap.

As for cutting the dry wall and to give me access to wire it that might work for 1 sconce but the other sconce would be located right where my double doors are. Oh, and before you start telling me "Well you can move the double doors and take one..." let me just save you some time. Not gonna happen, the doors aren't moving (for now ;-)).

So if I did put one sconce up on that wall would that be that much better than just the 2 on the opposite wall? I actually told the wife my problem and she suggested "why not just put the sconces up on the opposite wall." The fact that she suggested the 2 sconces on the opposite wall lets me know she is okay with that. I am just not sure if others on here have ever done or seen anything like that.

PS. Don't tell anyone I am asking this (which I can't believe that I am), but approximately how much do you think linacoustic and GOM or Dazian Expo would cost for a room the size of 22'6" x 13'4".
post #77 of 294 Old 01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Catt, I think Geek is trying to use a Jedi mind trick on you.

My question for you about the sconces is this: Are the seats going to be located directly in the middle of the room or shifted to one side? If they are asymmetric (shifted on one side) then sconces on one wall will be OK. If they are in the middle, giving the room a symmetric/balanced look, then I think sconces on one wall will look funny. Just one mans opinion.

Now that I think about it, I am with geek, I think you should tear down some more drywall and put sconces on both walls. And...replace the double doors.

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
post #78 of 294 Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Expo cloth is $4.95 per linear yard of 48" wide material direct from Dazian. Linacoustic is like $150 to $200 for a 100' x 48" roll. You only do one line of Linacoustic around the room, so one roll will do ya. For above the 48" mark you go with 1" thick Dacron batting. Joanne's seems to have 50% off coupons every month. If you sign up online for their flyer, they'll eventually send a coupon.

Expect to pay about $15 to $19 per yard for GOM, though they do have a lot more color choices.

There are other fabrics that are cheaper that acoustically perform the same function. One example is speaker cloth. The Dazian and GOM products are fire rated. You really want fired rated.

Ignoring all that, you don't have to go with sconces at all. There's some really great things you can do with mood lighting with spotlights mounted in the ceiling. Heck, put up red, green and blue spotlights on individual dimmers, paint the walls gray and then have the room be the theater of a thousand colors.

If it were up to me, I'd go with whatever is symmetrical. If sconces on both sides aren't feasible then I'd start looking for alternatives.

Browse through this following link. Something in there may inspire you laugh at the idea of mere sconces.

http://trinorthlighting.com/Store/in...ain_page=index
post #79 of 294 Old 01-08-2007, 05:23 PM

Liked: 11
What about buidling a soffit that runs around the entire room to run your electrical? Then you could run other things in there as well...
post #80 of 294 Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

What about buidling a soffit that runs around the entire room to run your electrical? Then you could run other things in there as well...

The problem comes when it's time to run the power from the soffit to the sconce. It sounds like he can likely run stuff through the ceiling over the room anyway.

There are wall lights that have as part of the design a pole coming up from the floor. They tend to be overly large and kinda pricey though.

Levi, is there any theme to this room? I mean, it's unnamed sure. However you could at least give it a theme of some sort. I mean, at least a general color tone would be a good start. It's a theater room so pretty much anything goes. For example...

"Sweetums, I'm thinking about doing the theater with a pirate theme. We'll have black walls covered with fake moss, skeletons, swords everywhere, maybe even some animatronic bats." "Oh sure honey, that'd be great."

versus...

"Sweetums, I'm thinking about doing the kitchen and living room with a pirate theme. We'll have black walls covered with fake moss, skeletons, swords everywhere, maybe even some animatronic bats." "You shall DIE!!!!!"
post #81 of 294 Old 01-09-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Catt, I think Geek is trying to use a Jedi mind trick on you.

My question for you about the sconces is this: Are the seats going to be located directly in the middle of the room or shifted to one side? If they are asymmetric (shifted on one side) then sconces on one wall will be OK. If they are in the middle, giving the room a symmetric/balanced look, then I think sconces on one wall will look funny. Just one mans opinion.

Now that I think about it, I am with geek, I think you should tear down some more drywall and put sconces on both walls. And...replace the double doors.

Gonzo,
Is that why he kept waving his hand in front of me? I thought it was a nervous tick.

The seating will be centered / symmetric. So I am basically screwed huh...

Great, thats just what I need. Someone else in Yoda's corner. You guys are teaming up against me and its not fair.
post #82 of 294 Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Geek,
If I were to do some acoustic treatment as you suggested (and believe me this is COMPLETELY hypothetical) how would I solve my wiring issues? I am guessing I could run the wire behind the panels and linacoustic and thats it.

Stop that.. stop... put your hand down, stop waivi... Your right, I need acoustical treatments on my walls... Did I just say that? Darn jedi mind tricks...

I have thought of just doing some track lighting from the ceiling and there is a chance I do that regardless of the outcome of the sconces.

As for a soffit as misterkit suggested thats not gonna happen. My ceiling doesn't really lend itself to a soffit due to some strange angles and ceiling designs they did in my room. What? I didn't design it!

Theme? Not really a theme as of right now. I do like the colors of navy blue and grey. I think DC's theater are done in these colors. That has been the colors I have been targeting but no real theme to go along with it. But then again you will probably try to convince me to change that as well. Sadly, there is probably a 50/50 chance you would succeed. You and your friends can stop grinning now.
post #83 of 294 Old 01-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As for a soffit as misterkit suggested thats not gonna happen. My ceiling doesn't really lend itself to a soffit due to some strange angles and ceiling designs they did in my room.

My room had vaulted ceiling. Had. It now has the makings of a tray ceiling because I really wanted a star ceiling inside of a tray. I'm not suggesting you go this route, it's only for the truly mad. No, wait the TRUELY mad would just nix that whole ceiling part, make the room a convertible top and have actual stars. Meanwhile, my wife is over here saying "Poor Blackcatt..."

No, I'm not going to try to talk you into the idea of going with a tray ceiling. The amount you'd have chop that room down in height to make a soffit all the way around would be far too much to lose. I am going to tell you to paint it flat black though, there's no getting around that. (hand wave)

FYI, I'm still putting in the vote for nixing the sconces altogether and going with something like this in the ceiling....
post #84 of 294 Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am going to tell you to paint it flat black though, there's no getting around that. (hand wave)

Finally we agree on something. I was already planning on doing that. :-D
post #85 of 294 Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master thegeek View Post

I am going to tell you to paint it flat black though, there's no getting around that. (hand wave)

Quote:

Finally we agree on something. I was already planning on doing that. :-D

Of course you were...

You want to work on my theater instead.(hand wave)
post #86 of 294 Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

I just had the strangest idea. I think I will just wait on finishing my theater and go over and help Geek out on his.
post #87 of 294 Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

FYI, I'm still putting in the vote for nixing the sconces altogether and going with something like this in the ceiling....

I actually do like those I will have to see how much attic room I have up on top of the room.
post #88 of 294 Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Likely you have more than enough room above the ceiling for stuffing a can light or something of similar size. If you HVAC vents in the ceiling then you definitely have more than enough room. Actually, I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't enough room up on top of the room

I'm guessing that you might have a harder time dealing with the wiring, but it would still be less work than the sconces on the wall with the doors.
post #89 of 294 Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am sure I have enough room for the recessed lighting up there, but I am more concerned I guess with getting the wiring up there. I don't think there is enough room for me to get up there with the wire.

I agree it would be less of an issue than dealing with the sconces on the door wall. I did have a friend of mine stop by to give me some suggestions on acoustics and sound (he is a professional musician and knows his crap) and showed him the issue. He suggested if I wanted to place the sconces on both walls I could place them higher than I currently planned so that I could place one over top the doors. So thats an option if I go that way. He also took great pleasure in informing me that I really should acoustically treat my walls. I am beginning to think he is related to you.

So if I somehow end up doing linacoustic wall treatment how would I wire then? Behind the cloth panels?
post #90 of 294 Old 01-11-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You do realize your friend is a Jedi Master, right?

(Thus, your current interest is acoustically treating your room.)

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page