I don't know what to name my theater, but I am starting a thread anyway - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 294 Old 11-07-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as the title states I don't currently have a name for my theater just kicking some names around right now, but in the end I don't even know if I want to name it. At any rate here is the start of my first dedicated theater construction thread. Weeeee...

As I mentioned above this is my first attempt at a dedicated home theater build. I welcome all to come, watch, laugh, and even cry with me on my journy. Please don't be bashful and feel free to ask questions and post comments as well. Brief background, luckily for me I live in Florida which basically means no basement (like 95% of you lucky bumbs have) and instead I have a second floor media room. The room itself is a "finished" room meaning the builder who built my home put up walls and carpeted, and paint. So the good news is I don't have to frame, hang drywall, etc. the bad news is I don't have to frame, drywall, etc. I don't really feel like tearing down perfectly good walls if I don't have to. Downstairs below the room you can hear just about ever move since its directly over the kitchen and family room downstairs. I am hoping before all is said and done to cut back on the sound carrying downstairs quite significantly. I doubt I will be able to eliminate the sound carrying downstairs all together given the sound treatment I am going with is concentrated just on the floor. We shall see if I succeed in this goal or not. Well I suppose I will get further into details about goals and what all the tasks are that I have in mind later. In the mean time lets get to the good stuff.

I know what everyone is looking for pics. So lets start with the room layout.

The media room is 22'6" x 13'4"

The entrance pre-destruction. The french doors are solid core doors done by the builder.

The inside of the room pre-destruction. If you look close on the ceiling you can see the outlet for the projector. This was the only prewire I had the builder perform due to expense. You will also notice the interesting slope of the ceiling on the side . This was caused by the ducting for the AC unit in the ceilng.

A shot of the floor just before I remove the carpet. The baseboards have all been removed and you can see the carpet has begun to be pulled up.

Well hopefully that wets your appetite. More to follow soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Welcome to the madness. Take your time and plan carefully.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #3 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You have a nice size room there - wish I had the extra width - makes seating choices easier.

What are you doing to prevent sound transmission? If your already hearing every move thats not going to be good for when your watching movies (unless everone is watching). Looks like you have young kids - where are their bedrooms in relation to the room. Maybe crank up a HiFi system with some LFE (or compressor) and see how the sound tansmits to their rooms. No fun having a 'Toy' if you can't use it after kids bedtime.

Good luck and be sure to keep us all posted.

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #4 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

Welcome to the madness. Take your time and plan carefully.

Bryan

Bryan, Thanks for the advice. The problem I seem to have is that every time I start to plan, my plans change . I do try to stay a step ahead with my plans though. So I solidify the plan for my next stage while working on implementing the plan for my current stage.
post #5 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, before you do much of anything else, if you're serious about any kind of isolation from the room below, you need to deal with the floor and the space underneath it.

Bryan

GIK Acoustics

post #6 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

You have a nice size room there - wish I had the extra width - makes seating choices easier.

What are you doing to prevent sound transmission? If your already hearing every move thats not going to be good for when your watching movies (unless everone is watching). Looks like you have young kids - where are their bedrooms in relation to the room. Maybe crank up a HiFi system with some LFE (or compressor) and see how the sound tansmits to their rooms. No fun having a 'Toy' if you can't use it after kids bedtime.

Good luck and be sure to keep us all posted.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark, the room is a nice size for a first dedicated theater. At least I thought so when I saw the floor plans from the builder. I really liked the fact that the home came with both a bonus room and a media room (with no windows) . When we were house shopping I was hoping for a just a bonus room, and saw this plan that had both and kinda fell in love. As for seating my options were pretty good, but I wouldn't have minded having an extra 12" in width but it is what it is. For seating I am doing 2 rows. Front Row is 3 Berkline 090's, and back row is a row of 4 Berkline 088's on a riser (somewhere in the 10" height range) with a loveseat in the middle. This configuration allows me room to walk around the front seats to get to the back row on either side. In fact I already have the chairs (thanks to Roman) and they are still packed up waiting for me to get a crack-a-lackin.

As for the sound transmission, I may have exaggerated just a bit in saying I could hear EVERY little move, but you can definately hear a considerable amount. My kids were using that room as a play room prior to destruction beginning as you could probably tell from the pics. You definately knew when they were up there jumping on the inflatable jumping castle thing . Now that being said, the steps I am taking (and will be illustrating in the near future with pics) are this. I blew in insulation underneath the current subfloor (in between the floor of the room and the ceiling of the downstairs. Next I am in the process of adding 2 more layers of 1/2" OSB with GG (50% coverage thanks to TheGeek's recommendation) down on top of the current flooring. I currently have one layer down now and you can notice a difference in sound transmission already, as well as a difference in stiffness when walking on it. It just seems much more solid now when you walk. Is it silent downstairs when your walking on it? No not by a long shot, but it is much quieter. For comparison, we have a pot rack hanging from the ceiling of the kitchen (almost directly under the center of the theater) and when we had the original carpet / pad in there it would rattle when the kids were really jumping around in the room, when I removed the carpet and pad from the room, the rattle would happen when even heavy walking / stomping on the floor. Now with the insulation and 1 layer of OSB / GG there is no more rattle from light to moderate stomping on the floor. You can still hear the stomping (muffled now) but the pot rack isn't rattling. My guess is I would have to do some heavy jumping to get it to rattle now. Which is quite different from a 35lb 4 year old jumping and getting it to rattle which is how it was before. Of course we have 1 more layer of OSB and GG to go plus a new carpet and pad to further sound proof. Again not perfect but hopefully it will end up being acceptable.

Ahh.. the kids rooms... Well if they can't sleep then to bad. We might get them some earplugs or something. Just joking. Their rooms aren't directly under the theater, but are near by. If you were to extend the walls of the theater to downstairs, part of each of their rooms would be next to what will be the back wall of the theater (if your looking at my floor plan pic, thats the right hand side ). As for testing with a system up there. I haven't done so yet, although I probably should have before I got started just so I could compare. That would probably have been done by the intelligent person, but I like to fly by the seat of my pants, and I am a borderline idiot sometimes. Plus, I just don't feel like taking a receiver out, lugging it up stairs, taking my sub out and lugging it up stairs, etc. Testing, then putting everything back (read "I am lazy" at times also, just ask my wife). In the grand scheme of things the amount of work would probably be minimal compared to lugging the 24 sheets of OSB up the stairs.

Well thats it for now. I am sure I will have more to post soon. I have more pics for you guys, I just have to upload them. Keep the questions and comments coming.
post #7 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

As promised I have a few more photos of some work that has been done. Specifically, blowing insulation

Opened first hole in floor.

Picture of kitchen ceiling from the top. Notice the piece of the OSB still stuck to the joist in the middle. Yeeeeaaaahhh... ummm all I can say is I don't like liquid nails. I cut the floor thinking I would just have to pry some nails up to get the board off. I didn't count on having to unglue the board from the joist. Sure its great to keep the floor from shifting or moving, but it sucks if your trying to pry it up.

Partially blown. You can see the result of liquid nails again on the joist.

The other hole all filled up. I was actually able to cover the entire area by opening up just 2 holes in the floor. Yeah me.

Thats me reaching up under the floor and reaching some hard to reach corners.

All in all the blowing the insulation was pretty easy. Definitely a 2 person job (one filling the blower, the other working the hose). That being said, I would recommend spending more than $1.50 on 5 paper face masks from wal-mart for ventilation. Also if you have any of the goggles that are strap on with the elastic but fully cover your eyes and face around your eyes I highly recommend those vs just the safety glasses . I just have the safety glasses and I got some of the newspaper crap in my eye, and it itched for like 2 days. Oh, one more word of advice, make sure to secure the hose to the blower with duct tape or something. The blower was in my garage where my faithful servant was feeding it the insulation, when he noticed a different sound coming from the blower. It all of the sudden got a little harder to see as dust began to fill the garage, and a few seconds later he realized that the hose had blown off the blower and he was blowing insulation into the garage itself and partially my utility room. Meanwhile upstairs there is nothing coming out of the hose I am holding, so I continually call out to him to go ahead and start the blower, thinking he hadn't started it yet. I am still finding that stuff all over my garage. The funny thing is I actually used duct tape to attach the hose before we started, just not enough of it I guess. My friend was laughing when I put it on there too like I was paranoid. When I went downstairs to find out what was going on, he had re-taped to the nth degree. Oh and he was covered in the dust.

Levi
post #8 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 05:44 PM

Looks like a great project there, I did notice one thing that I have to ask about, I noticed a can light for your kitchen ceiling, is that IC rated? Meaning that it can come in contact with insulation?
post #9 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby-P View Post

Looks like a great project there, I did notice one thing that I have to ask about, I noticed a can light for your kitchen ceiling, is that IC rated? Meaning that it can come in contact with insulation?

Robby, Thanks.
Very astute observation of you. They are supposed to be, but I didn't actually double check. In fact there was already insulation (the fiberglass kind) blown into the attic area from the builder over top of canned lights in other areas of the house. However, I am working on replacing my bulbs with florescent bulbs which according to others on this forum should eliminate most of the risk regardless.

Levi
post #10 of 294 Old 11-08-2006, 07:58 PM

Hey cool. That room has some great potential it looks like. I wondered what blown insulation looked like. I'm subscribed.
post #11 of 294 Old 11-09-2006, 06:00 AM

I'm thinking Black Cat Home Theater would be appropriate <--your AVS name!

Thomas
post #12 of 294 Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen01 View Post

I'm thinking Black Cat Home Theater would be appropriate <--your AVS name!

That is an option...

I also liked The O-Dome Theater or The Swamp Deux as tributes to my Alma Mater.

But still hosting auditions for the spot.
post #13 of 294 Old 11-10-2006, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I would post a few pics of the first layer of OSB / GG application.

First few pieces in place and screwed down.

Plenty of sheets left to put in.

Another helper applying some GG on a sheet while I screw down a sheet and take a second to capture the moment.

Other than the time it takes to lift, cut, measure, place, and screw down it really isn't to bad. My friend and I actually had a pretty good system going where we both kept busy the entire time and left very little time for photo ops

Levi
post #14 of 294 Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

No pictures tonight, but I just wanted to let everyone who was waiting with baited breath, I started the second layer of OSB/GG sub-flooring.

Okay, so the one person who actually cares can now get on with whatever it was they were doing.

Levi
post #15 of 294 Old 11-15-2006, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, got a few new images for everyone. Nothing all that exciting but figured I would share.

We got a new foreman. She is pretty strict too. Here you see her checking to make sure the new subfloor is up to code.

We've heard of bean counters, well here is a screw counter.

A couple of shots with the first layer complete.

The first layer went down pretty easy. It was a little time consuming and I had to work around, my schedule, my kids sleeping schedule, and of course my friend's schedule. So it was actually pretty nice to get this far. Not to mention to see some progress is really quite invigorating. So invigorating in fact, I just finished the 2nd layer of OSB/GG last night. Of course I don't have those pics yet, but just look at the last two pics in this message, close your eyes and imagine it ~1/2" higher.

Levi
post #16 of 294 Old 11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Looking good. I like the poker table in the background, maybe you can find a Vegas or poker-related name? "The Fifth Street Theater" Just throwing out a thought.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #17 of 294 Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Wap

I have a second floor media to. I have sound issues to, need to put some insulation b/w floors. Keep up the good work
post #18 of 294 Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatt View Post

We got a new foreman. She is pretty strict too. Here you see her checking to make sure the new subfloor is up to code.

Just ensure that any inspections happen AFTER snack!

Great thread!
post #19 of 294 Old 11-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Sweet room! You should probably pay out services so far rendered to your helper with a Guarantee of "Front Row Center" on Opening Night! Oh, and let's get the stage and riser going already....
post #20 of 294 Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

WarrenP, Actually thats not a bad thought. I haven't actually gone in that direction yet. I don't think I would want "The Flop Theater" though...

Wap, Blowing the insulation was pretty easy and depending on the size of your room not all that expensive. Equipment rental is free and each bag was like $8.50 I think. I went through about 16 bags I think. Is your home in the south also?

YW84U, You aren't kidding. Plus I have to keep a can of cashews near by just for bribes. The screw counter accepts payments in the form of fruit snacks and juice.

bcg8r, Ummm yeah... you would like that wouldn't you? Tell you what, I will go as far as a front row seat during a sneak preview. As for "Front Row Center" that seats taken. I agree, WE do need to start the stage and riser. So what day do you have off next?
post #21 of 294 Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone put a trap door in their riser? Something to where if you needed to have access inside you could move the seat(s) and swing open the trap door to get access. I am planning on running wires under my riser to the front of the riser, and using conduit when doing it, so it might just be a mute point. Just wondering if anyone had done this before, and if it caused any issues with sound or stability?
post #22 of 294 Old 11-17-2006, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would give a glimpse of what I am thinking for the riser.

Link to file

The dimensions are not all correct. I have to make adjustments to account for actual room size discrepancies. I used the dimensions listed on the floor plan as a rough starting point for this sketch. Its not shown but the riser frame is using 2x10's.

Any thoughts, or anything I should think about / correct?

Link fixed... :-P
post #23 of 294 Old 11-18-2006, 10:40 PM

Check the link... not pulling anything up on that one....
post #24 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. You're going about it in the right way. That should help significantly - just don't expect miracles.

You have a nice sized room. You should be able to get good performance in there.

Bryan

GIK Acoustics

post #25 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Your link is bad.

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
post #26 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

bpape, what do you mean don't expect miracles. I expect nothing less.

The room is pretty decent size. I think for a first dedicated theater adventure its gonna be about right for me.

bcg8r and boomer, I fixed the link.
post #27 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Catt Box.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #28 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

What is the consensus on how the riser being placed directly on the sub flooring? Should it float on something, should it be attached, glued, etc? I know some people place their stage on hockey pucks to decouple it, but I don't think they do that with the riser.
post #29 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatt View Post

What is the concensous on how the riser being placed directly on the subflooring? Should it float on someting, should it be attached, glued, etc? I know some people place their stage on hockey pucks to decouple it, but I don't think they do that with the riser.

I would think that you would be OK attaching it. They probably decouple their stage because their speakers are on it. Are you going to stuff insulation in it?

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
post #30 of 294 Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post

I would think that you would be OK attaching it. They probably decouple their stage because their speakers are on it. Are you going to stuff insulation in it?

How do most people attach their risers? "L" Bracket, nails, or what? Should I bother using GG underthe frame?

Most likely gonna use the normal insulation that most people around here use.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page