Oh no! Not another one of those "I just began my home theatre thread" threads - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 403 Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I believe a nice long howl is in order right about now.

Awoooooooooo aww aww aww awwwwooo ooooooo!!!

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 403 Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If anyone believes in spirit animals and their spirit animal is the wolf, as mine has been at different times in my life, this site will allow you the opportunity to help out our wolven brethren a bit.

Adopt-a-Wolf

Here is another site I spend a lot of time on that has useful causes. The nice thing about this site is that you can use it to support either side you like by inserting your own letters if you don't agree with the initial letter. It is good to be active, no matter what you believe!

Act For Change

And, one last one...

Care 2 Make a Difference

Thanks!

My Home Theatre
post #63 of 403 Old 12-11-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the new addition to the family.

Adopt-a-Playstation3

My Home Theatre
post #64 of 403 Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been listening to The Flaming Lips The Soft Bulletin and Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

The former was a real surprise for me when I first listened to it. I remember first seeing one of their LPs in an audiohpile equipment dealership. I think I sort of equated their name with quality audio engineering because of this coincidence. The first time I listened to the album, I remember hearing the lyrics in the first song and thinking to myself... "Ack, how corny and weird. Not interesting weird, but odd, very odd."

I started doing something else on the computer and before I knew it the album was near the end. For those of you unfamiliar with this particular album, when you reach the last few songs, the first song, Race For The Prize and Waitin' for A Superman (Remix) are repeated and something magical happened. I think this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me as well... When the first "corny" and/or "weird" song started playing again, before I knew I was doing it, I was heavy into the listening experience of the song and was even sort of singing it. That damn song was extremely catchy. Based on the experience thus far I decided to listen all the way through the album a second time and was excited to find that most of the songs on the album had that catchy quality to them.

That was my first experience with the latest incarnation of The Flaming Lips. Needless to say, I was impressed enough to go out and buy their other, more recent album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. When At War with the Mystics released I bought that right away as well. I find their songs very well composed. There are a lot of interesting acoustical components added to their songs which make them satisfying to listen to in a dynamically enriching way. There are a lot of textures in the songs, instruments making sounds not often heard, equipment not normally used as instruments being used as instruments, etc...

The Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot while not having nearly as much of an impact on me personally upon my first listen or subsequent listenings, did have some songs that were instantly recognizable as having that "catchy" quality to them. Overall, the album was a terrific purchase as well.

My Home Theatre
post #65 of 403 Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Q, your theater is moving along nicely.

BTW, make sure you let your kids know about the hazards of the Wii and the flying remotes. Don't want them to break something.

www.wiihaveaproblem.com

Other than that, keep the pics and descriptions coming. BTW, have you talked to MarkP, SandmanX, AccessHA or jmorris644 about remote controls and automation? They have been experamenting with different portable tablet PC's to control everything from the home theater to the whole house.

Scott

post #66 of 403 Old 12-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
You are definitely a raging lunatic. Progress looks good.

Where did you manage to score a Wii? I've been unable to get one for the kids yet and refuse to pay a premium on Fleabay.

XBL Gamertag: Robbo67
post #67 of 403 Old 12-12-2006, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

You are definitely a raging lunatic. Progress looks good.

Where did you manage to score a Wii? I've been unable to get one for the kids yet and refuse to pay a premium on Fleabay.

I was doing a Midnight Run for the homeless in NYC the night before it was going to be released, which I figured would run pretty late into the night (I got home at 3:00 AM!), so I asked my parents who spend the winter in Boca Raton if they would get up early that morning and go over to Target a few hours before opening to wait in line and hopefully procure one for their grandkids. My father said he would try if he was awake. For once his insomnia payed off... He was up at around 5:00 AM and got into line at around 6:00 AM. I was sound asleep. I had set my own alarm for 5:00 AM, but I must have turned off the alarm in a daze when it went off, because I don't remember waking up or turning it off so I could go back to sleep (as I must have done after only 2 hours of sleep). I do remember getting up in a half-witted stupor hours later and calling them to see if they had managed to get one since I had overslept and missed going to the Target in Mt Kisco NY which had around 81 units arrive the night before.

So my parents have it right now and will be giving it to the kids on Saturday night when we see them (they are in town for Doctor's appointments). They bought Zelda and Spongebob Squarepants with the unit, plus some extra controllers. I bought my kids Rayman and Monkeyball to add to the mix, as I know my younger daughter (3 years old) can play Monkeyball with my older daughter and myself. Unfortunately, my 2 year old son isn't ready to play any of the games yet, which makes it tough on him since he wants to participate, so we give him a disconnected controller to use.

As far as my interests are concerned with the Wii, I'm looking forward to Zelda as I have played it since its first version on the NES (I think it was the NES... Or was it the Super Famicon?!). Other than that, I'll play Monkeyball and other games with my kids for fun, but I'm more into the mature content games on the PS3 and Xbox 360. I do look forward to trying out sports games with that interesting new interface system Nintendo has implemented with their controllers. My wife had a good point though... Why not just go use our club membership and play Tennis, instead of pretending to by swinging a controller around? It is sort of ridiculous, LOL. I should stick with games that allow me to experience things I can't do in real life, that give me the opportunity to participate in entertaining fantasy/sci-fi plots or which upply a means to immerse myself in alternative realities, etc.

I credit the ratio of old farts to younger people in Boca Raton FL for their success in buying a unit. There is not as much competition there in terms of people getting their kids a unit, and older folks don't know much about these new fangled console systems.

My Home Theatre
post #68 of 403 Old 12-12-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVonhof View Post

BTW, have you talked to MarkP, SandmanX, AccessHA or jmorris644 about remote controls and automation? They have been experamenting with different portable tablet PC's to control everything from the home theater to the whole house.

No, I have not talked to them. That sounds interesting though. I'm looking for something more compact than a tablet PC though. The Pronto seems to fit the bill perfectly for my needs.

I am psyched to put a lot of my CDs on my Apple Macintosh as WAV files (which are lossless) so that I can feed them to the Meridian 861 I just purchased. The Meridian will fix any jitter issues that arise from this setup since it buffers and reclocks the signal, so it should work perfectly if I get a good device to route the files from my computer to the Meridian, like the Apple one, or I could continue using my Roku if I decide to move it off my whole house Niles system - I might as well buy that Apple wireless router/music/file sharing device and keep the Roku to use on the rest of the house.

Hopefully the Pronto will allow me a means of setting up a remote terminal to the Apple OS, that or to the Apple routing device so I can access the menu system and pick music through the remote. Perhaps the Roku will work best in terms of the Pronto if I want to have some kind of remote menu control for picking songs, etc. I'll have to look into it a bit. With these new considerations to take into account, perhaps a tablet PC is a good solution. The nice thing about the new technologies is that I can keep all my music on one computer, with a backup HD so I don't have to reinstall all my music after a crash, and then I can wirelessly access that computer from any other system in my house in order to use the music stored there, and video too if I want to figure that out in the near future (especially nice for home movies). The only issue I will face is with SACD. DVD-A, Dolby TrueHD, HD-DTS which will still need a dedicated player that can output the formats as either digital to the Meridian 861 or as analog to a preprocessor that has analog bypass.

If I knew I was going to get this Meridian 861 I probably would not have bought a Ayre C-5xe or Ayre K-1xe, as they may have become redundant in the evolutionary swing my system has taken. I plan on doing some very intensive comparisons of a purist setup (all Ayre only gear - Ayre C-5xe U2 player to Ayre K-1xe Preamp to Ayre MX-R monoblocks to my two channel speakers. If I don't notice any overwhelming differences, or any differences at all, I'm going to be upset, and you can bet I'll be selling the K-1xe, moving the C-5xe up to the bedroom for my headphones, moving the Denon DVD-5910 down to the new listening/HT room, and using the computer to feed all my two channel music directly to the Meridian 861. The one last upgrade I would make to the system would be to add a universal media player when I can get one that handles SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, Dolby TrueHD, HD-DTS, etc, etc... This would be the end of my system upgrades, except for speakers and projectors of course, for a long time.

My Home Theatre
post #69 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

As for storing your music, some people (SandmanX is one) have gone to creating servers for their files like ripping DVD's so they are all available at the touch of a button. I beleive SandmanX has 16 400gig drives in a Raid 4 set-up that is being fed to the main computer via fiber. It is in a different room since it is not a quiet setup.

Scott

post #70 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

I used to have a Pronto. While it does provide for almost infinite customization, programming it to be the way you want it is a huge time sink. I ended up switching to the Harmony remotes because the setup is so much quicker and easier.

As to music distribution, I'd give a serious look to the Sonos system. I put it in my house and have 14 zones which can each independently play music -- either MP3s off of a NAS drive or streaming from Real Rhapsody.

post #71 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for storing your music, some people (SandmanX is one) have gone to creating servers for their files like ripping DVD's so they are all available at the touch of a button. I beleive SandmanX has 16 400gig drives in a Raid 4 set-up that is being fed to the main computer via fiber. It is in a different room since it is not a quiet setup.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing something like that. I can definitely do it with music. The question is how much of it can be done with DVD movies considering all the copy protection add-ons and such. Putting everything on a Hard Drive and playing it through any of a number of programs is easy enough, since you are just accessing part of your computer system, as long as there aren't any protection schemes blocking fair use of this kind. You have to consider whether it is worth doing the movies on your own server or computer as they definitely consume a lot of Hard Drive space.

Considering that my system is being aimed at high definition content, putting that much effort and money into DVD quality resolutions might be a waste of my resources, unless I can find a way to feed the signal into one of my other video devices so at least upconversion can take place on the video, if it doesn't already take place in the computer. I'm not sure if some of the DVD playback software, like in my Apple or PC upconvert to 1080p... Anyone know??? To be honest, my experience with DVD video on computers is almost non-existent.

I could write a networking program that does all the things we discussed (filesharing/networking software to store and serve the video file to a client and a client/User-Interface program to buffer the served file and display it on the screen), but I have no idea how to work with the specific formats themselves, such as the raw DVD bit-stream, or the raw CD bit-stream, though I can learn to work with them if the information about the format is publicly available.

My Home Theatre
post #72 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used to have a Pronto. While it does provide for almost infinite customization, programming it to be the way you want it is a huge time sink. I ended up switching to the Harmony remotes because the setup is so much quicker and easier.

Yeah, this seems to be what I hear from a lot of people, but I have the spare time to dedicate to learning how to program their remotes. I want to learn how to program Crestron systems as well. I'm hoping to find a good way to get my foot in the door of the industry by learning how to program remotes, since it relates heavily to my background in Computer Science. The other area of interest for me is acoustical room design for two channel and HT, which I would also like to pursue more deeply.

Quote:

As to music distribution, I'd give a serious look to the Sonos system. I put it in my house and have 14 zones which can each independently play music -- either MP3s off of a NAS drive or streaming from Real Rhapsody.

I use a Niles ZR-4630 Multizone Receiver for my whole house setup. I don't need any more than the six zones it gives me ATM. The Sonos looks like it might make a nice addition to my system though, just for the cool remote. Right now I use a Roku Network Music Player & Internet Radio SoundBridge to route music from any computer in my house to the Niles system. I do wish I chose the Niles 8630 instead though, so I could add more sources eventually, though I probably don't really need them. I want to have all of these sources eventually: Sirius rack unit (Antex Sirius Triple Play), Roku (my music collection stored as WAV files), AM/FM. Right now I still need to add a Sirius rack mount receiver, and if I get the one listed I can hook it up as two sources so we can listen to different channels in two different rooms. If I had more source inputs I could use all three, but I probably would never be in a situation where I need all three. Most of the time when I am using the system the same thing is playing in every room and outside because it is a party, or the same thing will be playing in the den, in the kitchen, on the patio, and by the pool since those are the areas used during summer swim days. I currently have a CD carousel that holds 200 discs, but it switches between discs so slowly that it is definitely not convenient, nor is it good for parties since you would likely want to narrow your music selection a bit for special occasions without having to spend hours doing the work.

The problem I have is being able to remotely control what music is playing on the system... This is where having a crestron system would be nice, since you can make your system much more versatile than you can with a Niles system. You can set up all your RS-232 compatible devices to be controlled by each wall panel in the house. Even with the Sonos, you are stuck with a remote that you must carry around, whereas with the fully custimizable Crestron you can have a wall panel in each room and set it up to allow you to browse through all your music files, etc (Niles only lets you work with its Radio buttons and some other system functions only).

I can set my system up so I can use the computers in each room to select the WAV (I save all my files in WAV format so they are not lossy compressed... I don't like losing any of the musical information) files I want to listen to (or playlists), etc, as I would the Crestron control panels or the Sonos remote, which is what I will likely do at this point. I would need to set the computers up to control the Roku, which is easy to do through a web browser interface Roku includes as part of its package. The other solution is switching to the Apple wireless router device created specifically for working with iTunes, then I can set each computer in the house up with iTunes and share access to my music library stored on a massive external hard drive in a RAID 1 setup for 100% redundancy (I'm lazy and wouldn't want to have long rebuild times in case of an emergency ).

My Home Theatre
post #73 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

Considering that my system is being aimed at high definition content, putting that much effort and money into DVD quality resolutions might be a waste of my resources, unless I can find a way to feed the signal into one of my other video devices so at least upconversion can take place on the video, if it doesn't already take place in the computer. I'm not sure if some of the DVD playback software, like in my Apple or PC upconvert to 1080p... Anyone know??? To be honest, my experience with DVD video on computers is almost non-existent.

Check with SandmanX and some of the others on his thread as I beleive he is having everything upconverted in the PC to the native resolution of his projector. I think he is using the Cinemar software (a fellow AVS'er created the software) to do the work of upconversion, but I may be wrong, it may be that the Cinemar software is what is controlling everything....

Here is the link to SandmanX's theater thread. Be prepared to do a lot of reading if you were not been following his build: SandmanX's theater thread

Scott

post #74 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even with the Sonos, you are stuck with a remote that you must carry around, whereas with the fully custimizable Crestron you can have a wall panel in each room and set it up to allow you to browse through all your music files, etc

The Sonos supports multiple remotes (I have 7) so you can leave them in the rooms you really use (they also have a charging cradle which can be wall mounted if you so desire). Any remote can control any and all of the zones. In addition to Mp3, the Sonos supports WAV, FLAC and Apple Lossless for pure CD reproduction. We love it.

Its also a fraction of the cost of most other whole house audio solutions.

post #75 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check with SandmanX and some of the others on his thread as I beleive he is having everything upconverted in the PC to the native resolution of his projector. I think he is using the Cinemar software (a fellow AVS'er created the software) to do the work of upconversion, but I may be wrong, it may be that the Cinemar software is what is controlling everything....

Here is the link to SandmanX's theater thread. Be prepared to do a lot of reading if you were not been following his build: SandmanX's theater thread

Yeah, I don't have time for that right now. Perhaps another day. Maybe I'll check out the software when I get a chance. Unfortunately, my own construction projects (the HT/Listening room and the pool we are putting into the back yard) are taking up a good deal of my time. Any extra time is going into researching additional components and setup options for the HT. Right now I am waiting on an appointment with Richard Rives of Rives Audio to discuss whether or not I will need any minor or moderate room treatment changes and/or room trap adjustments on the schematics in order to compensate for a switch from the B&W 802Ds three way design to the Revel Ultima2 Salon2 four way design.

Thanks for the info and the link though, I'll have to come back to it at a later point in time. Definitely keep the information coming though, as I do have time for the less time intensive information and I will come back to the larger tasks at a later point in time when I can reflect on my work.

My Home Theatre
post #76 of 403 Old 12-13-2006, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sonos supports multiple remotes (I have 7) so you can leave them in the rooms you really use (they also have a charging cradle which can be wall mounted if you so desire). Any remote can control any and all of the zones. In addition to Mp3, the Sonos supports WAV, FLAC and Apple Lossless for pure CD reproduction. We love it.

If it were an in-wall panel instead of a remote sitting in a cradle I would be more interested. I wouldn't find a wall mounted cradle with a remote in it very attractive and I can guarantee my wife wouldn't find it attractive either. She is a graphic designer so I often find many things don't appeal to her refined sensibilities, like any of my speaker choices, my HT equipment, my shirt selections, and my HT/Listening room in general... LOL! This is why I have my own room though. I may not be the King of the Castle, but I am definitely Lord of the Dungeon.

Another issue in my house would be the ZonePlayers. My wife wouldn't be very keen on having to put those in any room where we want music, let alone attaching wires to it for speakers. I wouldn't like it either (I've come to appreciate the minimalist look when it comes to the audio system in the main rooms of the house, which is another reason neatly placed in-wall control panels appeal to me more than remotes lying about the rooms). We both prefer having all the wires and speakers hidden in the walls, which is something we discussed when choosing our system in the first place. Our amplifiers are all located in a rack unit by the electrical closet in the basement. The Niles unit includes a few amp channels in its chassis and we added our own to the rack for rooms where we wanted to install better quality in-wall/in-ceiling speakers than the ones Niles makes. The Niles speakers aren't too shabby, but they definitely aren't high-end. I also daisy chained some subwoofers off of a channel or two in areas of the house where she didn't mind a subwoofer sitting on the floor (the basement by the foosball tables, pinball machine and pool table) with two Coaxial cables coming out of the wall for signal feed.

Looking on Crutchfield at competing systems I found this Yamaha MCX-C15, which is part of a more expensive system, but it is worth the extra money IMO to have the control unit elegantly set into the wall. It also has remotes that you can place in any room where you want one located. Too bad it carries XM instead of Sirius, no Howard Stern... I'm going to need to look into creating my own in-wall panel that can network with iTunes on my computers somehow, that or cough up some major cash for a Crestron setup...

The biggest detractor for all these amplifiers, remotes and remote cradles lying around the house IMO are my three children. Our oldest (7) probably won't mess with anything too much, but the 2 and 3 year olds will be playing around with the equipment any chance they get, especially once they know we don't want them playing with it! So while that setup works well for you guys, it would make our leisure time with the kids more work and less play as we spend a lot of that time watching their every move and moving them away from the equipment when they start getting adventurous.

Quote:

Its also a fraction of the cost of most other whole house audio solutions.

I already have a whole house system. It doesn't make sense for me to purchase another one when I have all the functionality of the Sonos inherent in the devices I already own (except the in-wall access/remote panels, which I could do if I add something ridiculously expensive like Crestron). All it would take is some set up time, which I am not motivated to do ATM, perhaps when the pool is finished I will be ready to take on that project, at that point in time the whole house system becomes important to me again (for listening to music at the pool, and for house parties once all the construction work is cleaned up).

I'm also a fan of the in-wall speakers I have with my Niles set up. I like having the speakers hidden/flush with the wall and it looks nice to have grills that are painted the same colors as the walls. I'm sure you can do that with the Sonos setup as well, but I wasn't 100% sure as I only see it bundled with wall mounted speakers by Bose and Polk Audio, neither of which I find appealing in terms of their house sound. Can you use in-walls with the Sonos, or is it for bookshelf and wall-mounting only?

BTW, if you thought just buying the equipment was expensive, you should see what some of these people try to charge you for snaking cable throughout your house. I definitely wouldn't have minded saving money on the system, as I could spend it on other things in my listening/HT room instead (more things that would utterly disgust my wife's designer tastes! ), but I really am satisfied with my relatively invisible system. The one thing I do want though, is that access panel for my WAV files which will allow me to do all of my WAV file selection, playlist creation, etc, etc from in-wall panels in each zone.

My Home Theatre
post #77 of 403 Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you use in-walls with the Sonos, or is it for bookshelf and wall-mounting only?

The ZP100s work fine with in-walls. I have them driving Sonance in-ceiling speakers throughout the house as well as JM Labs Chorus bookshelf speakers. You can also connect a Zp100 or ZP80 (which doesn't have a built-in amp) to any standard amp to drive more power hungry speakers. I have a Zp80 in my theater connected to my Arcam gear which drives my bigger JM Labs Profile speakers.

Feel free to PM me if you want to stop over and check it out.

post #78 of 403 Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Any recent updates?

I'm very interested in how your room will turn out.
post #79 of 403 Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry it has been so long since I have updated. I have not been around to do updates. The construction is taking longer than we expected and impinged on other events that were more important. I have taken some current photos, and as you will see it isn't finished yet, but it is getting very close.

I expect to get the RPG Skyline and Absorber treatments some time in the next week. The bookshelves are in the process of being built. The back of the room traps will be built after the bookshelves are finished. The carpet isn't here yet, but should be here soon. Some minor adjustments need to be made in the next week or two (one heating/AC vent needs to be moved as it was installed in the wrong spot and one of the sidewall covers may have to be changed to accommodate panelling). A second layer of paint will be added before the treatments are hung (once everything else is finished relating to room installation). We chose red oak for the resonator wood and it will be stained a dark mahogany which matches up well with the fabric we are using on the treatments.

Everything has gone fairly smoothely in terms of adhering to the original schematics and the room looks great which is hard to transfer to the photos because of how dark the room is with the colors we chose (compounded by some dust on the camera lense which I didn't notice on the camera preview screen... sorry everyone ).

I have also, in the interim purchased a used Meridian 861 surround processor which should arrive some time next week.

Without further ado, here are the photos:

The front corner traps (not finished).

The passive resonator and front corner traps (both not finished).

The back of the room including the soffit trap (unfinished... the trap needs a cover frame with cloth).

Another pic of the front of the room including the passive resonator, the screen access area and chalk outlines of where the ceiling treatments will be placed.

One of the sidewalls and the access panel to the septic pipe.

The other side wall and the door to the room.

Closer picture of the screen access area (screen is already installed/recessed into the ceiling).

My Home Theatre
post #80 of 403 Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, trim/baseboard also is going to be placed at the borders of the resonator and the traps to hold things in place and to make their appearance neater.

My Home Theatre
post #81 of 403 Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

It's awesome seeing a room being built where acoustics are a first priority before the first nail is driven in.

You just don't see that much. Great job!
post #82 of 403 Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem View Post

It's awesome seeing a room being built where acoustics are a first priority before the first nail is driven in.

You just don't see that much. Great job!

Thanks!

I really owe a lot of credit to my wife. She let me have the space as an office to begin with, but more so, she let me move my office outside the original office space and turn the old space into a Home Theatre and Listening room, though she did get a dedicated exercise room and a pool in the process... The pool at least is something the entire family will enjoy.

Now that the room is nearing completion, even my wife is getting very excited about the Home Theatre. She wants to throw an Oscar party and have her friends over to watch the Oscars in the HT now!

That is a big change in her attitude since this whole project started. I'm glad she is more excited about it now.

My Home Theatre
post #83 of 403 Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 PM

What is that "passive resonator" supposed to do??? That's the first time I've ever seen anything like that.... Is it just supposed to reflect the sound from the front speakers in a more diffuse way?? Please explain the concept for me!!
post #84 of 403 Old 02-02-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More updates:

A pic of the dark mahogany stain. The same stain will be used on all of the baseboard, the resonator and the door frame (i.e. anything wooden in the room will be red oak and will be stained the same color).

A picture of the second layer of the resonator being applied with liquid nails and pressure via 2x4 boards. Also the back of the corner bass trap frame.

The soffit trap on the inside.

The fixed AC duct.

The front of one of the corner bass trap frames without the fabric on it yet.

The back of the soffit frame cover with cloth on it.

My Home Theatre
post #85 of 403 Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_rostowsky View Post

Sweet! 5.1 surround versions! Id love to know how they sound when you get them. I love The Doors! It would be a great Xmas gift (for me ). Toss in the 5.1 of Dark Side of the Moon too.

Still no word on the preorder. I wonder if it is still going to be released. I was really looking forward to advanced resolution versions of all the Doors albums.

My Home Theatre
post #86 of 403 Old 02-11-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More updates:

The Dark Mahogany stained Red Oak passive resonator. Plus, the finished paint job without the Dark Mahogany stained Red Oak baseboard or boarders around the traps and resonator.

The finished painted back of the room and soffit trap.

The finished painted left side of the room (former septic soffit closet), plus half of the projection screen access panel (painted and resting on the ladder).

The front half of the left side of the room.

The right side of the room (middle), entry door and electrical/electronics closet.

The back end of the right side of the room.

The front of the room and access area to the projection screen (open).

The Dark Mahogany stained bookshelves (almost all of them).

The RPG boxes containing the painted skylines and the absorbers.

The front corner bass trap covers and soffit trap cover (left side of picture, against the wall).

Unfinished items:

Electrical box in closet (thus almost all things electrical are not hooked up yet)

Projector

Carpetting (Monday or Tuesday)

Acoustic Treatments (Need to be hung)

Baseboard and Trims (Around everything, including holding the bass trap covers in place)

Back of room corner bass traps (we were waiting on the bookshelves to determine the correct size of the trap in order to achieve the near 15 degree angles)

Painting inside of electrical closet

Need to screw in the projection screen access panels

Install the track lighting

Cap off AC/Heat vents

Cap off electrical sockets

I'm probably forgetting some things, so more to come...

My Home Theatre
post #87 of 403 Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More updates:

Here is the passive resonator with the trap covers being held up temporarily by the MDF projection screen access panels (they will be held on by red oak framing that matches the resonator - shown below). They have laid down the carpet padding.

A close-up of the panel cover in place.

Far away picture of the front of the room and floor with padding.

A picture of the red oak framing boards which will cover the edges of the resonator and corner bass traps (top, bottom, left and right) on my now dusty couch...

Picture of the boards and part of one of the bookshelves. Yep, they are indeed all going to match!

My Home Theatre
post #88 of 403 Old 02-12-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The carpet will be installed tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The room should be fnished by the end of the week. Perhaps an extra day (Saturday or Monday) for all the electrical work to be finished at which point we can install the projector. Things are really coming together at this point. As soon as the carpet is installed, the bookshelves will be placed in their proper position so the back bass traps can be fitted for their positioning.

Soon enough I'll have to clean off the dust covered couch to move it into the room! To be quite frank, at this point I'm just looking forward to listening to two channel music again. I'm so sick of listening to music on headphones or in the car only, it just doesn't seem as real (well, it isn't as real I guess, not compared to the three dimensional image it was throwing out in this same room before I had to pack everything away for construction).

However, I know it will have been completely worthwhile when I can throw one of the BluRay Disney movies into the Playstation 3 for the kids to watch, or when my wife throws her Oscar party and has friends over to enjoy the room. My wife finally turned to me a few weeks ago and commented on how excited she was to have the room, now that she is seeing how nice it will be when it is finished. What a change in attitude, and what a pleasant surprise. These things aren't half the fun they should be if you can't share the experience and the joy with the ones you love.

Speaking of joy, if all goes right, I should have some tickets for the Police at Madison Square Garden on August 1st by tomorrow.

My Home Theatre
post #89 of 403 Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More updates:

It has been more than a month since my last update... Oops! I'm pretty much done, but I'll post these pics from February 20th and then the latest group of pictures. The carpet has been installed as well as some other things.

Here is the front of the room.

Here is the back of the room.

Here is the back left side of the room (left if facing the front of the room).

Here is the front left side of the room.

Here is the right side middle of the room.

Here is the right side front of the room.

My Home Theatre
post #90 of 403 Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM

Looking real good... Let's see the more recent pictures!!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page