How do you vent the equipment cabinet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
aus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My equipment is in custom cabinets with cloth doors and vents in the back, but it's still getting toasty in there. Are there inexpensive and quiet small fans available to vent the hot air? I know Mid Atlantic makes them, but they're $$$. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-10-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Try some computer case fans such as those designed by SilenX - they work well and are quiet.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A guy on eBay is doing the computer fan setup with a thermostat and fan speed control. I ordered the 2 fan setup and it got here quick and worked out well. His name is drmckenzie and he has different configurations available.
LL

My theater build is like a fine wine... aging for a long time, but well worth the wait.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnddwilson View Post

A guy on eBay is doing the computer fan setup with a thermostat and fan speed control. I ordered the 2 fan setup and it got here quick and worked out well. His name is drmckenzie and he has different configurations available.

ebay does not allow search by user name anymore?
post #5 of 14 Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 PM

Alrighty then... let's try this:
go to eBay and search this
"AV/Receiver Cabinet Cooling System: dual-fan/thermostat".
Take you right to them.

My theater build is like a fine wine... aging for a long time, but well worth the wait.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-10-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
aus

Found it. Thanks for the heads up. It's MUCH cheaper than a Mid Atlantic fan set.

e*bay number: 300047257180
post #7 of 14 Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnddwilson View Post

how loud are these fans? It seems like a great idea.

"Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"
post #8 of 14 Old 01-05-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrichar View Post

how loud are these fans? It seems like a great idea.

They're not too bad. I hear them when they kick on for the computer desk I have, but have no problems with the AV cabinet when the music/TV's on.
Something to keep in mind is make sure you tell him how you want to vent the air. I had to flip the fans once I got them since he had the grill end on the inside of the cabinet and I wanted them the other way.
The thing that is a little loud is the thermostat he uses. It's a cheap home thermostat that makes a metalic twang when it kicks on or off. Not a big deal, but I'd be willing to pay extra for something that quite, but that would then also require power too.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

They're not too bad. I hear them when they kick on for the computer desk I have, but have no problems with the AV cabinet when the music/TV's on.
Something to keep in mind is make sure you tell him how you want to vent the air. I had to flip the fans once I got them since he had the grill end on the inside of the cabinet and I wanted them the other way.
The thing that is a little loud is the thermostat he uses. It's a cheap home thermostat that makes a metalic twang when it kicks on or off. Not a big deal, but I'd be willing to pay extra for something that quite, but that would then also require power too.

How is it powered?

post #10 of 14 Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
aus

It's a simple low voltage plug that allows you to adjust the voltage, which then controls how fast the fans turn. It's nothing like a Mid Atlantic fan, but it's cheap and works well. I just hope it lasts a few years. The thermostat is just a simple spring type thermostat that basically pops on/off when the set temp is reached.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-05-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Active Thermal Management makes a wide variety of cabinet cooling products (they are one of the originators for consumer use). Their products aren't as cheap, but they are ultra quiet, ultra reliable and they have several units that allow for remote mounting of the fan unit if noise is a real issue. They also use variable speed thermostats. I've sold/installed a lot of them and never had a single issue in the field.

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood View Post

Active Thermal Management makes a wide variety of cabinet cooling products (they are one of the originators for consumer use). Their products aren't as cheap, but they are ultra quiet, ultra reliable and they have several units that allow for remote mounting of the fan unit if noise is a real issue. They also use variable speed thermostats. I've sold/installed a lot of them and never had a single issue in the field.

I checked them out. I think their S-2Kit and S-3 would work for me. I sent them an email about pricing...

post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrichar View Post

I checked them out. I think their S-2Kit and S-3 would work for me. I sent them an email about pricing...

System 2 runs anywhere from $279 to $349 depending on how many fans you need and whether you want the fans free or mounted on a plate. It is my best seller. The system 2+2 kit moves the most air...allows you to mount two fans as intake and two as exhaust for boatloads of airflow with all being controlled off the same brain.

System 3 runs $139. Good for venting a smaller cabinet or a single bay with a heat intensive unit. Not enough to do an entire closet or big rack full of gear. ATM keeps the fan speeds low to keep the noise low...so if you need more CFM, you want the kits with the bigger fans (System 2 or System 1).

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
post #14 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood View Post

System 2 runs anywhere from $279 to $349 depending on how many fans you need and whether you want the fans free or mounted on a plate. It is my best seller. The system 2+2 kit moves the most air...allows you to mount two fans as intake and two as exhaust for boatloads of airflow with all being controlled off the same brain.

System 3 runs $139. Good for venting a smaller cabinet or a single bay with a heat intensive unit. Not enough to do an entire closet or big rack full of gear. ATM keeps the fan speeds low to keep the noise low...so if you need more CFM, you want the kits with the bigger fans (System 2 or System 1).

thanks for the info!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page