Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I do know that Middle Atlantic provides a variety of shelf options: U1, U2, U3, U4, for their lacks. I will be using the Slim 5-43 Middle atlantic rack.

I believe that the U2 will satisfy most of my components in terms of weight support and height.

I have
Rotel 991 2-ch
Rotel 5-channel
Outlaw 950
Oppo DVD player
HD DIsh Dvr box
Power conditioner

I will be upgrading to the Outlaw 990 which is a rather large unit, but not too heavy.

Will the U2 pretty much satisfy all of these components, or do you think that the Outlaw 990 will be better of with U3 (which is twice as expensive as U2). It will sit at the top of the components,

Thanks,
george
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post

Hi,

I do know that Middle Atlantic provides a variety of shelf options: U1, U2, U3, U4, for their lacks. I will be using the Slim 5-43 Middle atlantic rack.

I believe that the U2 will satisfy most of my components in terms of weight support and height.

I have
Rotel 991 2-ch
Rotel 5-channel
Outlaw 950
Oppo DVD player
HD DIsh Dvr box
Power conditioner

I will be upgrading to the Outlaw 990 which is a rather large unit, but not too heavy.

Will the U2 pretty much satisfy all of these components, or do you think that the Outlaw 990 will be better of with U3 (which is twice as expensive as U2). It will sit at the top of the components,

Thanks,
george

It's not a matter of choosing by price, it's a matter of choosing by application.

The U3 is rated for more weight, and it is also deeper. You do niot want to have a shelf that is too shallow... unless you want your products to fall out the back of your rack when you are pressing on the front panel.

To determine the correct shelf, there are two ways...

1) (The hard way) Get the height and depth measurements of your components as well as the weight. Compare them to the rackshelves (remembering that 1U = 1.75") Compare them to the ratings on the rackjshelves you are buying.
If your units are between exact rack sizes, always go one rack space larger.

2) Visit the Middle Atlantic site and click on the "Custom Rackshelf Search -- Go" button on the lower right section of the home page.
This takes you tro a database where you can search for your components.
It may take a few tries to learn the search engine, try to use brand names and then scroll the results.

When you find your component, it will give a height designation (in RU) and a depth (one of the 4 possible RSH shelf depths)

You can use this to determine the correct rackshelf, whether you go with Universals, RSHs, or Clamping rackshelves.

For VERY heavy or deep components (400 disc changers, big 7 channel amps, etc.) use a SH-5A, which is a froont to back shelf that bolts to the front AND rear rails of a Slim5 rack.

PS. your power conditioners will probably be available with rack ears so you won't need a shelf at all.

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Rick,

Thank you for help and for the link to the Middle Atlantic equipment rack custom search.

I was primarily concerned about the weight and length of the items in regards to the racks. Some of these racks (U3, U4, and custom ones) can be quiet expensive. But I guess it goes along with pro-grade audio equipment.

I placed an order for the Slim 5-43 and some racks accordingly, hopefully it will work out, and for the more specific components I will order the appropriate racks.

Again, thank you for your advice and help.

Kind regards,
George
post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pred02 View Post

Rick,

Thank you for help and for the link to the Middle Atlantic equipment rack custom search.

I was primarily concerned about the weight and length of the items in regards to the racks. Some of these racks (U3, U4, and custom ones) can be quiet expensive. But I guess it goes along with pro-grade audio equipment.

Actually, pro equipment comes with rack ears and does not need rackshelves!!!
Look at it this way, MA stuff actually costs LESS than carpenter's site built shelving, or decent audio shelving...

Quote:

Again, thank you for your advice and help.

Kind regards,
George

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10
HI Rick,

I am considering MA slim 5-43 myself now. Where did you get it and how much? I am reseaching the price on the Internet.

Thanks,
--Tom
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

nineteeninch . com is the best place to buy any middle atlantic items
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM

I have the Middle Atlantic SRSR ROTATING SLIDING RAIL SYSTEM in my theater. When I was buying shelves I went to the manufacturer's website for each piece and got the measurements and weight. I then looked on the MA site for a shelf that could accommodate. It only took a few minutes.

You can put your equipment number into the custom shelf search engine on the MA site. What I found when doing this though is that the custom rack shelves were ALWAYS at least 1U size larger than what I came up with in my research. I am guessing that they are ensuring greater airflow for your components. So you can do it this way if you have the extra space in your rack.

Just a side note - If there are any Middle Atlantic Reps trolling the boards can you come up with a custom rack shelf that holds BOTH the Xbox 360 and the HD-DVD drive add-on!?!? Using 4U of space with 2 separate shelves is a waste!

If you cannot tell the difference between HD and SD on a large screen TV get your frackin' eyes checked!
XBox Live: Vinny516
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post

nineteeninch . com is the best place to buy any middle atlantic items

Thanks. Thats the best prices I have seen for MA items.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page