Big Red theater build 21' x 27' - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 542 Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok i got a little done this weekend. my 9 year old wanted to do a project with me so he and i put the fidelio around the screen and finished the rear counter. i also picked up my rear chairs from staples and i love them.

so here is the idea. we are always rushing to get dinner and get a show started in time to get the kids to bed on nights that we try to watch a movie so i wanted a really functional third row counter. i raised the floor so that i would not have to use barstools and bought leather office chairs that roll on the hardwood. i still need to get the chair rail up behind them but i furred out at the correct height for these chairs.

now the cool part. i used to do sound engineering and we always had these little lights on the consoles so that we could see the buttons in a dark room. they are actually called littlelites. you can get them here http://www.littlite.com/. we mounted female xlr mic jacks in the rear counter and i had one of the channels of my grafikeye pulled to the counter so that i can dim them from my touchscreen.

anyway, here is what it looks like. we tried it tonight and it is great. lots of light on your dinner and NONE on the screen.

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build - In Progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 542 Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Reminds me of the board room on the apprentice Very cool.
post #363 of 542 Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Very slick. As always something new to impress. Thanks for the update and keep up the good work.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #364 of 542 Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post

now the cool part. i used to do sound engineering

Pray tell, what type of sound engineering?

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #365 of 542 Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

Pray tell, what type of sound engineering?

i paid my way through college leasing a sound system and lighting to a popular regional band. i had a 24' truck that was loaded end to end with gear that i had taken a loan to buy then i leased it by the month. the interesting part is that most of the people in the band went on to do other things. the lead singer (crystal taliafero) has toured with john mellencamp, bob segar, billy joel, and many others. the drummer (shawn pelton) is now the drummer for saturday night live. the keyboard player (jeff jacobs) is the keyboard player now for foreigner. they were a real talented act but they just could never get that record deal as an group. anyway, i spent a lot of time building and working with pro audio while i was in college.

greg

post #366 of 542 Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Where did you get those lights ? very cool !

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #367 of 542 Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Very cool lights. Got me thinking. I'm not going to go drilling holes in my granite but with the goose-necks I could have them come up from behind.

Did a little Googling and they seem just a bit pricey. But found the 12 inch on sale for $31 at Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/LittLite

Now how do you power this thing? I get the impression you need a transformer?
post #368 of 542 Old 07-01-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you can get them at many pro av companies. i think i got mine at musiciansfriend but i forget now.

you power them with a transformer. i have that on a dimmer channel in my graphikeye. i have had zero issue with audio noise. my transformer is strapped under the counter.

greg

post #369 of 542 Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM

I work in a regional theater and all of the tables in the house during our technical rehearsals use the LittleLite products, but the cost has always bothered me. Now that just about everybody sitting at those tables is using laptops too we have discovered a fantastic similar (but less expensive) product. Seen Here If you have an HTPC it would be cool to wire USB ports to the counter or at your seats and then you could use these for light when you weren't using the USB for something else. You could just use a USB extension cable from the computer to a hub in or under the counter and then run from the hub to some connectors like these Seen here. I would think it would be less expensive and sightly more useful. The LittleLites give a seriously clean and professional look, but if anybody was interested in a less expensive idea with potential other uses, this may be worth exploring.

Your room is looking great Greg, and that back counter seems very useful, good idea and good job.

EDIT:
I don't know if they are dimmable or if there is a version that is. That would help out a lot probably and is one key way that Greg's solution is much better.

I love NEW technology, it makes the stuff I can afford even cheaper.
post #370 of 542 Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you know by the time i got to where i was spending a hundred bucks on these lights i was so numb from the cost of everything that they seemed like a bargain. in person they are one of the coolest things in the room.

greg

post #371 of 542 Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Beautiful Buildout! I slacked off on keeping up with the threads on the forum for a while and just saw yours... Now I have 370 posts of light reading to do tonight!

Great job.
post #372 of 542 Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks mike. i would say we have already eaten 4-5 meals at that counter. i know it is the opposite of what we are supposed to do with sitting the family around the table and all but it is really handy. we no longer try to work a movie around eating. yesterday we got half way into a movie and people were hungry so we hit pause, heated leftovers and finished the movie. when everyone is done eating people migrate back to the theater seats. even my wife likes it because she can now see what she is eating without turning on the lights.

greg

post #373 of 542 Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

you know by the time i got to where i was spending a hundred bucks on these lights i was so numb from the cost of everything that they seemed like a bargain.

greg

Ain't that the truth!

Gonzo

My Home Theater Odyssey
PSN: mule-tool
post #374 of 542 Old 07-06-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Greg, We're in the framing stage, but the bar is framed with a temporary top on it. We, too, have used it many times for dinner. I'm sure it will become a pivotal part in how our theater is used. Glad to hear you find the same. Beautiful work by the way.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #375 of 542 Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any more progress on this?
JJ
post #376 of 542 Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice build! I'm curious to see more of the closet you made for the equipment rack. Do you have any pictures in the crawl space with everything wired up? I'm curious in doing something similar and was also wonderin how much room you have to work with back there.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #377 of 542 Old 07-27-2008, 06:20 AM

looks nice!
post #378 of 542 Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

sorry to vanish but i am just doing a little at a time right now since the kids are off for the summer. i got the chair rails up and baseboards down and the front wall done so i will post that stuff when i get a chance.

yamahasho - i really can't get a camera back there but you can kind of see on the left side of this shot that in the back room there is what looks like a doorway framed in. i just built the cabinets into that opening. the face of the opening is 4 feet from the end of the room so there is about 1.5' behind the 24" deep cabinet and the rack is only 16" deep so there is more room behind it. then the cd case is 6" deep so there is even more room on that side. the walls are just unfinished concrete back there.

on the print it looks like this.

greg

post #379 of 542 Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Liked: 11
Update?
post #380 of 542 Old 08-30-2008, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok, i got my seats!!!!!

chair rail is in. i have a short list of things to finish now. trim the projector porthole, scribe molding, IR sensor, etc. i really love these berkline 12000's i got from roman.

g

post #381 of 542 Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Beautiful. Greg, I know you went back and forth on what color chairs to get and all I can say is great choice going black. It looks so classy in there and the detail in the room is well balanced. I love that carpet!
post #382 of 542 Old 08-30-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:

now the cool part. i used to do sound engineering and we always had these little lights on the consoles so that we could see the buttons in a dark room. they are actually called littlelites.

Greg, super build! I'm starting construction on a house in Brownsburg that will have a full, unfinished basement. It'll be a year or two before I get serious about an HT down there, but I love to read these threads, get ideas, and just dream.

The counter with the Littlelites is a nice touch. I envision my HT as being combined with a small game room with a counter between the two areas, so something like the Littlelites would be a way to control the light level as the room transitions towards the theater while still providing useful light at the counter.

Oh, there's an in-vehicle version of the LED Littlelites now available with both white and red LEDs and a switch on the base to select the color. You see 'em in police cars, fire engines, etc. Don't know if the dual-color is available with the XLR connector or not.
post #383 of 542 Old 08-30-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Looks great. Everything came together very well. The trim work is amazing.
post #384 of 542 Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well i am not done yet but enough of the project is behind me that i wanted to try to summarize some of the things i learned in doing this theater. i am proud of how this is coming out and there are a few thoughts i have had along the way and said to myself that i should put them in a message some day. so here is what i learned:

- you can play tricks with perspective. sometimes i see theaters that look huge then when i read the dimensions they were not as big as they looked. in my room i had a low ceiling up front so i just made everything a little smaller. a standard step is 7-8 inches tall so i made my steps to the stage 6 inches. the lights over the stage are under 3" across. if i stand up there you will notice that everything is slightly "doll size" but from the seats it just looks big and wide. the idea occurred to me when looking at rubins canned lights and i noticed that his stage looked like it was 40' across.

- the coolest theaters use a lot of neat materials. i tried to look for ways to put fabric, wood, glass, leather, metal, etc wherever i could. i realized that i didnt have to use traditional building techniques. the fact that we are mostly not pros means we don't think like contractors. think about china dogs padded fabric island. that idea would have never come to a typical contractor.

- tons of small lights. i have about thirty lights in this one room and none of them do much individually. that makes for a lot of interest, texture and variety. i used track lights with framing projectors just to light my front columns without throwing light onto the screen. i have sconces, ropes, cans, littlelites, etc.

- width. so certainly this is not something you can do on any budget but i am really happy that i spent the money to move the steel column and get a wider span in the basement. if i were building a house i would INSIST that they widen a span in the basement. the steel beam i added only cost $600 so i can't cost more than a couple hundred dollars to use a heavier beam and move a support post off center so that two 15' spans become a 20 and a 10. it cost me a lot more than that to change it later.

- go dark. i was dragging my feet to use black walls, black chairs, black ceiling, etc. in the end with all the accents we had (and the 30 lights) it does not seem dark in here.

- incadescent lights - halogens are great for certain things but my main room lighting are the sconces and they are incadescents. it really makes the room feel warmer which is important in a room with no natural light or windows.

greg

post #385 of 542 Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

great looking theater. looking forward to see how it looks with the finished chair rail on the walls. i have a few questions in regards to your subwoofers. im looking to do the same setup where, in order for me to squeeze in bigger drivers, they would be half exposed and half above the bottom of the screen (exactly how yours are now). so im wondering, at reference levels, have you noticed the screen move in any way or even the gom panels that cover the woofers? im looking for any info you can provide on this matter as i must decide soon if i will do the same or if i half to think of another way. also, did you decouple the subs from the floor in any way with rubber, spikes, etc.? thanks.

post #386 of 542 Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Simply stunning Greg. Very nice work!
post #387 of 542 Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Man what a job you have done with your theater Greg!
I just finished reading through this thread and you truly have a first class theater!

I have to say my favorite part of the room is the entrance.

As Art has been saying for some time... when are you going to have a meet??!!

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #388 of 542 Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Greg,

Glad your back to posting some updates! To say your theater looks amazing is simply and understatement! Excellent work!

Also just for the record I know earlier I suggested burgundy for the chairs but I would like to say I think you made the right choice in going with the black ones! That is why I leave the color choices to my wife! 8-)

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #389 of 542 Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wow!!! This is incredible!!!

Great work!!!
Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #390 of 542 Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

great looking theater. looking forward to see how it looks with the finished chair rail on the walls. i have a few questions in regards to your subwoofers. im looking to do the same setup where, in order for me to squeeze in bigger drivers, they would be half exposed and half above the bottom of the screen (exactly how yours are now). so im wondering, at reference levels, have you noticed the screen move in any way or even the gom panels that cover the woofers? im looking for any info you can provide on this matter as i must decide soon if i will do the same or if i half to think of another way. also, did you decouple the subs from the floor in any way with rubber, spikes, etc.? thanks.

I asked him the same question when he first set it up and he said it wasn't a problem. I have a similar design but with all the drivers below the screen so I can tell you that GOM is no problem.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page